Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know people in a similar boat. None have completed yet.
    I think the longer this goes on the less chance they have of completing the sale.

If it was putting me under lots of stress,
    I would go with a different offer. I certainly wouldn't be committing to a rental or anything else.

Until the money is with your solicitor I wouldn't assume this is a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

beauf wrote: »

I know people in a similar boat. None have completed yet.
    I think the longer this goes on the less chance they have of completing the sale.

If it was putting me under lots of stress,
    I would go with a different offer. I certainly wouldn't be committing to a rental or anything else.

Until the money is with your solicitor I wouldn't assume this is a done deal.

Thanks Beauf - my solicitors have c.90% of the contract balance now, and we have signed so it is legally binding unless they are unable to raise the finance. The remaining funds are coming at closing according to the contracts we signed today. Definitely not a done deal but progress i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I know it's probably been asked a million times, but could someone recommend a good engineering contact for a report and solicitor you found good for buying? thanks in advance (Dublin city)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Pink11 wrote: »
    I know it's probably been asked a million times, but could someone recommend a good engineering contact for a report and solicitor you found good for buying? thanks in advance (Dublin city)

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Moving!

Moving! wrote: »
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
    We're looking to buy a house that requires an extension and we have the funds to cover 20% of the property cost plus 20% of the added value/cost of the extension. However, our mortgage broker has let us know that banks like to see payments made first (for 12 months) on the mortgage before they will top up a mortgage to allow for extra work to be carried out. Anyone know if this is standard?
    We've gone sale agreed on our own house and time is not on our side here! The job isn't something that requires planning permission, but we could have plans in place and even a contract with a builder in place if required. Just wondering if any of you know if it is a possibility.

I went past the broker and contacted the bank today to ask about this. It turns out that the bank (KBC in this case) has no issue with providing funds up front as long as the house is currently in a livable condition, plans are provided for their valuer and costs from a builder.
    Very disappointed with the mortgage broker. As so many have said before, when it comes to buying houses, trust nobody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I went past the broker and contacted the bank today to ask about this. It turns out that the bank (KBC in this case) has no issue with providing funds up front as long as the house is currently in a livable condition, plans are provided for their valuer and costs from a builder.
    Very disappointed with the mortgage broker. As so many have said before, when it comes to buying houses, trust nobody!

IF everybody took heed of this it would make life a lot easier
    Same applies to buying a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Looking to buy in south dublin. Still very competitive for any house in decent shape. Viewed a house on a Saturday, by Monday morning the bid on the house was 60k above asking (in the 5-600k price bracket).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Moving!

thunderdog wrote: »
    Looking to buy in south dublin. Still very competitive for any house in decent shape. Viewed a house on a Saturday, by Monday morning the bid on the house was 60k above asking (in the 5-600k price bracket).

That's the same price region we've been looking at and I'm seeing what you've described all the time. It's not even houses in "turn-key" condition - just anything that's in decent shape in a decent area. I'm seeing the first bid come in at the (already over-inflated) asking price time and time again - I'm suspicious of it, but nonetheless, these houses are going sale agreed at a higher price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I have such a bad memory of brokers. Shortly after I bought my own house, 2 and a half years or so, we were walking through a shopping centre and got talking to one. Anyway without boring you with all the detail, were in the process of being offered a mortgage on top of previous one, for a penthouse apartment (overly)valued at 620k.

When the forms were sent out, there was so many lies as to what our earnings were... When I highlighted this to the 'broker' he was very abrupt (maybe coming up too close to our last recession) and said, well if you don't say this you won't get your penthouse apartment...

Obviously we walked away but I'm sure many didn't. What a scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Jay D wrote: »
    I have such a bad memory of brokers. Shortly after I bought my own house, 2 and a half years or so, we were walking through a shopping centre and got talking to one. Anyway without boring you with all the detail, were in the process of being offered a mortgage on top of previous one, for a penthouse apartment (overly)valued at 620k.

When the forms were sent out, there was so many lies as to what our earnings were... When I highlighted this to the 'broker' he was very abrupt (maybe coming up too close to our last recession) and said, well if you don't say this you won't get your penthouse apartment...

Obviously we walked away but I'm sure many didn't. What a scrote.

How much commission do brokers get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Looking for some advice. Went to look at a new build recently. Agent showed me around the showhouse but showed me plans for a larger style and explained the price was 345k.
    Agents website and Daft also list this style as 345k.
    So we went to view the unfinished house and we decided to put a holding deposit. Offer and booklet arrived and suddenly the price is 360k. Different agent is saying that's been the price for the last year and website clearly states from 345k, it doesn't.
    What should I do? On principal I'd like to tell them where to go but have I any argument?

• Administrators Posts: 53,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stesaurus wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. Went to look at a new build recently. Agent showed me around the showhouse but showed me plans for a larger style and explained the price was 345k.
    Agents website and Daft also list this style as 345k.
    So we went to view the unfinished house and we decided to put a holding deposit. Offer and booklet arrived and suddenly the price is 360k. Different agent is saying that's been the price for the last year and website clearly states from 345k, it doesn't.
    What should I do? On principal I'd like to tell them where to go but have I any argument?

You've no argument in the sense that you can't force them to sell to you for 345.

You either pay 360 or you walk away. You could ask them to put you on the list if they change their mind on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

House was put on the market last Thursday, we've had 7 viewers since then. No offers yet, hopefully next week.

Rang to put an offer on a house we viewed during the week. The EA was out of the office and never called back. All on hold till Monday now

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

We put up our house for sale 2 weeks ago. 2 viewings in one week with approx 16 couples and sale agreed after a few days... We had 3 couples bidding and we accepted 25k over the asking price. Super quick... South Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

rafatoni wrote: »
    We put up our house for sale 2 weeks ago. 2 viewings in one week with approx 16 couples and sale agreed after a few days... We had 3 couples bidding and we accepted 25k over the asking price. Super quick... South Dublin...

What price bracket was that in ? Over 600k? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don’t know to be honest with you.

rafatoni wrote: »

Our apartment went sale agreed in about a month. As well, 30k over asking. Waiting for contracts to be signed, sign our new purchase contracts and hopefully move into the new home by end November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Ours got 1% of the mortgage drawdown from the bank. So, for us he got about 5k.

It didn't cost us so was fine. Our application was a bit fiddly as my partner gets a few bonuses/allowances and I work a huge amount of mandatory overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackz

Not too sure if this is the right thread. Went sale agreed on a new build in December. Problem with land registry and still waiting to move in. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to sort issues with land registry. It's going on an extremely long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

This has probably been asked plenty of times before but I can't find the answer easily. After putting down a deposit on a new build based off of plans, what's the latest point you can pull out and get the full deposit back at no extra cost including legal fees etc?

• Advertisement

House Hunt wrote: »
    This has probably been asked plenty of times before but I can't find the answer easily. After putting down a deposit on a new build based off of plans, what's the latest point you can pull out and get the full deposit back at no extra cost including legal fees etc?

Until you sign contracts you would get your deposit. Regarding legal fees, I’d say until your solicitor starts the paperwork, like meeting you or generating pre contract queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Had to pull out of buying my house after the survey

We go again

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

Had to pull out of buying my house after the survey

We go again

Was it a new development?

Could you share the issue?

I'm considering getting a survey for the apartment I'm buying, but it is not new and am wondering how useful it would be to send one surveyor...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Blackz wrote: »
    Not too sure if this is the right thread. Went sale agreed on a new build in December. Problem with land registry and still waiting to move in. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to sort issues with land registry. It's going on an extremely long time.

am currently selling an apartment and needed a copy of lease from the Land Registry. Was told it could take 4-6 weeks :eek:
    (other documents might not take as long as this).
    Got on to them and was told there is an expedite service . They give you an email address to request this.
    Must be done by whoever applied for the document, in my case my solicitor. After hounding them almost everyday for 3 weeks eventually got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackz

am currently selling an apartment and needed a copy of lease from the Land Registry. Was told it could take 4-6 weeks :eek:
    (other documents might not take as long as this).
    Got on to them and was told there is an expedite service . They give you an email address to request this.
    Must be done by whoever applied for the document, in my case my solicitor. After hounding them almost everyday for 3 weeks eventually got it.
    We can't do anything according to our solicitor as the vendor is the person dealing with this. It's just a waiting game. Can't believe it's taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

What exactly is the problem with the Land Registry? You can't really put a time frame on that. It could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Leozord wrote: »
    Was it a new development?

Could you share the issue?

I'm considering getting a survey for the apartment I'm buying, but it is not new and am wondering how useful it would be to send one surveyor...

No a mature house in an established area . Subsidence issue and the house has moved from its foundations. Shame as it was perfect for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

I've been meaning to post for ages- we just got the keys to our first (not new build) home, 10 weeks to the day after we went sale agreed.

It is possible although with the whole COVID thing, it is just so much more difficult.

Just wanted to let people know we got to know one of the EAs in the area really well and she let us know when she had something coming up she thought we'd like. In the end, we went to see our(!) house with her the day she took the photos and measurements and we made an offer that day. It was accepted and it meant it never actually went on the market.

That said, we were ready to go, not in a chain and the seller was eager to get it done too. It meant an easier life for all parties I think, so it might be worth getting to know as many EAs in the area as possible. She was happy as it meant she didn't have to make a load of private appointments- I think she was swamped- so for anyone who hasn't already, make your position clear and get to know a couple of EAs if you can.

Just wanted to mention the technique that ended up working for us.

Best of luck to everyone, my fingers will be crossed for ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

How much of a premium should a detached home carry in a new build estate?

E.g. If a similar sized semi-detached across the road is priced at X, what would a fair markup be for a detached, all else being equal?

Advertisement