Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Was supposed to collect the keys today at five and around two hours ago the vendor's solicitor emailed saying they now are not in a position to close today and seeming went home for the day. No reason given or anything. My solicitor is trying to get in contact but nobody wants to talk to her. It's just infuriating. Sale agreed for three months. Just infuriating.

That's beyond infuriating, that's wildly unacceptable. I don't know your circumstances, but you could be sat outside the house with a removal van full of your goods, unhappy removal men, and nowhere to stay for the entire weekend. I hope your OK, but your solicitor should tear them a new one on Monday, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catsnow

Hi everyone,

I went to sale agreed a few days ago and I need to organise a survey for the apartment I am buying, 48m2.

What is a normal price range for a pre-purchase survey? Any recommendations for companies to contact are very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

Hi everyone,

Currently i'm bidding for apt and I have suspicions that agent is playing phantom bids. Can I ask agent to show me proof that there are other bids ?

Many thanks

Is anyone dealing with the AIB portal at the moment? We are experiencing delay upon delay and find it very difficult to speak to anyone. I have to say my experience with it has been shambolic.

Twitter helps a lot in case of huge delays. It helped me to go through after many weeks of delays

catsnow wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I went to sale agreed a few days ago and I need to organise a survey for the apartment I am buying, 48m2.

What is a normal price range for a pre-purchase survey? Any recommendations for companies to contact are very welcome!

are you buying cash or loan ?

If loan then get approved by bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 djbergin

cant26 wrote: »
    Has anybody snagged in Galway recently, would appreciate any recommendations if so. Thanks!

I too am looking for a recommendation for a good snag list in the Galway area, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Mr Hindley wrote: »
    That's beyond infuriating, that's wildly unacceptable. I don't know your circumstances, but you could be sat outside the house with a removal van full of your goods, unhappy removal men, and nowhere to stay for the entire weekend. I hope your OK, but your solicitor should tear them a new one on Monday, frankly.

Luckily we still have a month in our current place but thank you for the concern. If we didn't I'd be kicking in their door I'd say. The whole process has been tough but to be this close and then to do this while everything else is done is shameful. Had to cancel two installations for Monday. It's worse there's nothing you can do. Should be all contracts that the date is in stone. Or at least something to help the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Luckily we still have a month in our current place but thank you for the concern. If we didn't I'd be kicking in their door I'd say. The whole process has been tough but to be this close and then to do this while everything else is done is shameful. Had to cancel two installations for Monday. It's worse there's nothing you can do. Should be all contracts that the date is in stone. Or at least something to help the buyer.

Have you drawdown your mortgage already? Has it been transferred to their solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I’m sorry to hear your predicament But glad you still have your place. Would probably feel the same as you if I was in that dilemma with nowhere to go.

I’m coming at it from the opposite side of things and the buyer is dragging heels a bit now. 3rd closing date coming up next.

Oh and don’t even talk to me about ‘solicitors not hearing back from other solicitor’. It’s really hard to believe they can go so deathly quiet at such critical points in the process. I do agree that the date should be set in stone. Although is there a mechanism to sue for charges if a closing date has passed and you are out of pocket as a result of the other side not sticking to the agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Markitron wrote: »
    That would drive me mad

It’s only natural neighbours would be informed ? I’m selling and I will tell the neighbours about who is buying they have lived next door to the house for 50 years old couples on both sides and I feel out of respect and to allay fears they have a right to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Of course it is. Buying a second-hand house, the estate agents will always try and push you to the last penny.

I don't think all EAs push to the last penny. Once they have a decent offer they want to close the deal. An extra 5K on the purchase price means little enough for the EA in extra fees.

I called an EA multiple times about a property a few weeks ago without receiving a call back. It then went sale agreed. There were obviously in the later stages of the process. I doubt the seller would have been impressed to hear there were other interested buyers that were excluded.

Meraf wrote: »
    are you buying cash or loan ?

If loan then get approved by bank

Hi Meraf,

I am a cash buyer, so I don't need any bank approval. I am interested in the price range as I received a quotation from a company for 460 euro and it seems a bit too much to me, but I might be mistaken.

CarMc wrote: »
    Have you drawdown your mortgage already? Has it been transferred to their solicitor?

Yes and yes.

Jay D wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear your predicament But glad you still have your place. Would probably feel the same as you if I was in that dilemma with nowhere to go.

I’m coming at it from the opposite side of things and the buyer is dragging heels a bit now. 3rd closing date coming up next.

Oh and don’t even talk to me about ‘solicitors not hearing back from other solicitor’. It’s really hard to believe they can go so deathly quiet at such critical points in the process. I do agree that the date should be set in stone. Although is there a mechanism to sue for charges if a closing date has passed and you are out of pocket as a result of the other side not sticking to the agreement?

I think solicitors have a lot to answer for. I partially blame my own solicitor because a few times during the process I had to really push her to do things and I'd say the other side have no respect for her at all. I was asking this but again she was reluctant to give a straight answer and only mentioned the 21 notice on vacating the property. If I was in court for a parking ticket I'd probably end up getting the chair with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Does anyone know what the story is for transferring ESB/Gas over without having buyer’s full details? It’s obvious I just need to ring up to end my own with meter reading but not sure if they’ll leave it for a day or two without disconnecting for the new person buying the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Yes and yes.

Isn't it technically your house then? If so, are they trespassing? I'd be telling them that at the door. Maybe they don't realise you own it on paper now.
    Solicitor may not have made it clear to them. There are a few insurance issues to start with, if they are in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Jay D wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is for transferring ESB/Gas over without having buyer’s full details? It’s obvious I just need to ring up to end my own with meter reading but not sure if they’ll leave it for a day or two without disconnecting for the new person buying the house.

I had this when leaving rental accomodation recently so I guess it's the same story. I cancelled Electric Ireland online and if I remember correctly the electric was due to be shut off 24 hours later or something like that. I believe once you enter the meter number you are charged up to what you owe there and then. That being said it was many months ago and I may be misremembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Meraf wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Currently i'm bidding for apt and I have suspicions that agent is playing phantom bids. Can I ask agent to show me proof that there are other bids ?

Many thanks

Would also like to hear an answer on this as well if anyone can comment..

Sesame wrote: »
    Isn't it technically your house then? If so, are they trespassing? I'd be telling them that at the door. Maybe they don't realise you own it on paper now.
    Solicitor may not have made it clear to them. There are a few insurance issues to start with, if they are in your house.

I was trying to clarify that this with my solicitor without much success. As I said before my solicitor is very poor.

It’s only natural neighbours would be informed ? I’m selling and I will tell the neighbours about who is buying they have lived next door to the house for 50 years old couples on both sides and I feel out of respect and to allay fears they have a right to know

If I buy a house, I believe it's up to me what I tell the neighbours about myself and my business.
    I didn't appreciate all the neighbours in my last house knowing everything about me, before I moved in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bubblypop wrote: »
    If I buy a house, I believe it's up to me what I tell the neighbours about myself and my business.
    I didn't appreciate all the neighbours in my last house knowing everything about me, before I moved in!

Precisely. Absolutely none of the new neighbours business until/if you make it their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spicebagnoveg

Hi everyone, myself and my partner are currently in the process of getting our first home.

Our situation is; we have AIP, HTB and Deposit all ready. We're just waiting for the houses to launch.

From my understanding, the next thing we need to do is get a letter of offer from the bank. But in order to do so, we will need an address of the home and value of the home.

The new builds we're currently looking at is Barnwell Park and my question is, once the houses are launched and it's available to book. Is the AIP letter, HTB and deposit enough for the Estate Agent? or will they require me to get a Letter of offer first?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, it's our first time as buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

For further on down the line. Ask your solicitor about a 'subject to finance clause' to protect your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Anyone looking at houses on the Western side of Cork City? I drove around a bit today. Had seen Steeplewoods advertised over the last year or two. It was mainly big detached houses when it launched. Drove in to it today for the first time and it seems to have changed to alot of semi detached. Also drove up to Reldare at the poulavone end of the Model Farm Road. Nice houses but the gardens, so so small. Would love a detached in Reldare but they are €595k. Too much for us. It's so disheartening. I'd say we will have to leave the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Anyone looking at houses on the Western side of Cork City? I drove around a bit today. Had seen Steeplewoods advertised over the last year or two. It was mainly big detached houses when it launched. Drove in to it today for the first time and it seems to have changed to alot of semi detached. Also drove up to Reldare at the poulavone end of the Model Farm Road. Nice houses but the gardens, so so small. Would love a detached in Reldare but they are €595k. Too much for us. It's so disheartening. I'd say we will have to leave the city.

Cork is very disheartening in general at the moment I think. Our search is different to yours but its just a battle to find anything we love or see potential in & everything is bidding wars. We're taking a break from it all for a few months because I'm withered from it all! I actually don't want to see something I love come on the market because the prospect of another bidding war is giving me the shivers. I hope you find something without having to move out of your search area. Its hard to visualise being happy in your home at times like this but it will be a distant memory in the hopefully not too distant future!

Smiley11 wrote: »
    Cork is very disheartening in general at the moment I think. Our search is different to yours but its just a battle to find anything we love or see potential in & everything is bidding wars. We're taking a break from it all for a few months because I'm withered from it all! I actually don't want to see something I love come on the market because the prospect of another bidding war is giving me the shivers. I hope you find something without having to move out of your search area. Its hard to visualise being happy in your home at times like this but it will be a distant memory in the hopefully not too distant future!

Hi Smiley, are yee looking outside the City, to be honest I'd say we will move out. Try and not go further than 20 miles. Would love Ballygarvan area but prices are nuts. The thoughts of bidding wars 🙄. We are going to park it for a year and see what happens. Have you seen any price drop while bidding in the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Hi Smiley, are yee looking outside the City, to be honest I'd say we will move out. Try and not go further than 20 miles. Would love Ballygarvan area but prices are nuts. The thoughts of bidding wars ��. We are going to park it for a year and see what happens. Have you seen any price drop while bidding in the last few months?

We're looking in the eastern suburbs, older type houses. Its cr4p. Anything remotely interesting that comes on theres a rush of viewings & agents telling us we need to act quickly if we want to secure the house. Its too much pressure for me as we won't be moving again so like you, I'd say we'll sit on the fence as well for a while & keep saving. A friend of mine was looking around Ballinhassig & stocks are limited also so they're going to wait it out as well & hope for things to improve! Price drops seem to be rare & if they do drop, theres a reason for it!

Smiley11 wrote: »
    We're looking in the eastern suburbs, older type houses. Its cr4p. Anything remotely interesting that comes on theres a rush of viewings & agents telling us we need to act quickly if we want to secure the house. Its too much pressure for me as we won't be moving again so like you, I'd say we'll sit on the fence as well for a while & keep saving. A friend of mine was looking around Ballinhassig & stocks are limited also so they're going to wait it out as well & hope for things to improve! Price drops seem to be rare & if they do drop, theres a reason for it!

It is crap. Buy something old and spend the next 20 years fixing it because you have no money left after buying the bloody thing. Ballinhassig in our search area too. Looking at low to mid 500,000s for a solid family house. Even if they came down 5 or 10% it would be a great help. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Hi everyone, myself and my partner are currently in the process of getting our first home.

Our situation is; we have AIP, HTB and Deposit all ready. We're just waiting for the houses to launch.

From my understanding, the next thing we need to do is get a letter of offer from the bank. But in order to do so, we will need an address of the home and value of the home.

The new builds we're currently looking at is Barnwell Park and my question is, once the houses are launched and it's available to book. Is the AIP letter, HTB and deposit enough for the Estate Agent? or will they require me to get a Letter of offer first?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, it's our first time as buyers.

More than enough. AIP and 3-10k to book it will do it

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

looking for recommendations on companies for a pre-purchase survey in Dublin that are reliable and ask a reasonable price. I am a cash buyer, so no need to get bank approval.

Advertisement