Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

cilim75 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is correct place to ask. Currently sale agreed, paid deposit to EA.property Surveyed found few things that need to be sorted (boiler not being serviced in long time and few other small issues). Is it possible to renegotiate price after going sale agreed ? If I walk away (nothing signed yet), will I get my deposit from EA ? House next to the one I have is also just gone Sale Agreed, bit bigger than mine but less expensive if you look at the price per square meter. Mine is 3300 euro and the neighbor house is around 3000 per square meter. Was wondering if I could try to knock price down for few thousands. Anyone had similar experiences ?

out of curiosity, is that too expensive to service the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Leozord wrote: »
    out of curiosity, is that too expensive to service the boiler?

About 120 a year
    If it has not been serviced in years it may be on its last legs or at the very least inefficient

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Not sure if this is correct place to ask. Currently sale agreed, paid deposit to EA.property Surveyed found few things that need to be sorted (boiler not being serviced in long time and few other small issues). Is it possible to renegotiate price after going sale agreed ? If I walk away (nothing signed yet), will I get my deposit from EA ? House next to the one I have is also just gone Sale Agreed, bit bigger than mine but less expensive if you look at the price per square meter. Mine is 3300 euro and the neighbor house is around 3000 per square meter. Was wondering if I could try to knock price down for few thousands. Anyone had similar experiences ?

You get your initial deposit back no problem. You can absolutely negotiate the price BUT you have to be prepared to walk away. Did you see the house next door? Was it completely comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

You get your initial deposit back no problem. You can absolutely negotiate the price BUT you have to be prepared to walk away. Did you see the house next door? Was it completely comparable?

Fair point about next door (if directly comparable), but as a seller, if a purchaser came back to me to renegotiate price due to minor issues (to be expected in a second hand home) and lack of recent boiler service, I'd be going back to the underbidder (if there was one) and wouldn't be entertaining the request at all.

brisan wrote: »
    About 120 a year
    If it has not been serviced in years it may be on its last legs or at the very least inefficient

oh right

was wondering how common is for a snag to find issues in apartments, despite usual small things (eg boiler to be serviced, broken timer, toilet not flushing properly etc)

• Advertisement

anyone else with anxiety going through the roof after sale agreed?

ffs days are going slow af, sorry for putting this out this way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Looking for a thorough surveyor for a 3 bed semi in Swords/Malahide area. PM with recommendation please 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Definitely slowed down to a crawl now but things are out of our hands at this stage, relying on others to move things quickly along. Some relief in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

oh right

was wondering how common is for a snag to find issues in apartments, despite usual small things (eg boiler to be serviced, broken timer, toilet not flushing properly etc)

Aren't second hand houses "sold as seen". You can try to renegotiate but equally they can tell you to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Yep, it's torture, keep thinking when I get to the next stage the stress will reduce but I think it will be like this until we have the keys in our hands,

I try to make sure that anything I can control is done - do you have mortgage protection insurance and house insurance in place. Did you arrange a survey on the property etc. Chase all those things up.

I have to just put faith in other people for the things I can't control...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My solicitor is drafting up the contract for my house sale. Does he just send it to the vendors side ? I dont know to read through it at a meeting or anything ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My solicitor is drafting up the contract for my house sale. Does he just send it to the vendors side ? I dont know to read through it at a meeting or anything ?

He doesn't write it from scratch, he'll take a standard contract and stick in the details relevant to your house based on the information that you give him.

He'll send it to the buyer's solicitor, who will go through it. The buyer's solicitor may ask your solicitor for amendments or additions to the contract, which you'll have to agree or refuse. Once contract is finalised, the buyer's solicitor will again go through it with their client before they sign it.

Then it's sent back to you, and your solicitor should go through any noteworthy points with you before you sign it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Ye he drafts up the contracts , he sends to the vendor , they will come back with questions that your solicitor then answers , once everything is covered and the vendors solicitor is happy , they will sign first and send contracts back over for you to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Got my survey report today, doesn't look to be anything major in it, but what should I be looking out for? Structural stuff all fine, main thing is to get the boiler serviced as there was no recent service history and have the foul drainage jetted and cleaned (just mentions 1 at the back of the house, and included a photo - just looks like a drain with a cover which is opened for the photo). It also mentions upgrading the insulation in the attic (go from 150mm to 300mm).

I think these all sound fine and wouldn't be anything to stop me going ahead with the purchase - does anyone have any input here please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

whatever99 wrote: »
    Got my survey report today, doesn't look to be anything major in it, but what should I be looking out for? Structural stuff all fine, main thing is to get the boiler serviced as there was no recent service history and have the foul drainage jetted and cleaned (just mentions 1 at the back of the house, and included a photo - just looks like a drain with a cover which is opened for the photo). It also mentions upgrading the insulation in the attic (go from 150mm to 300mm).

I think these all sound fine and wouldn't be anything to stop me going ahead with the purchase - does anyone have any input here please?

Sounds like a pretty clean survey, nothing there would worry me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

whatever99 wrote: »

That all sounds straight forward enough, but did you have the opportunity to speak to the surveyor? Ours rang us just after the survey, so we were able to ask if there were any serious issues or anything that would be expensive to fix. The survey report itself was very long and detailed, so it was good to chat to the surveyor just to make sure that they were in fact all minor issues that we'd be able to fix without any major time/cost involved. We actually spoke to him a second time too after we'd had a chance to read through the report ourselves. He/she would be the best person to put your mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

woodchuck wrote: »
    That all sounds straight forward enough, but did you have the opportunity to speak to the surveyor? Ours rang us just after the survey, so we were able to ask if there were any serious issues or anything that would be expensive to fix. The survey report itself was very long and detailed, so it was good to chat to the surveyor just to make sure that they were in fact all minor issues that we'd be able to fix without any major time/cost involved. We actually spoke to him a second time too after we'd had a chance to read through the report ourselves. He/she would be the best person to put your mind at ease!
    Thanks, no I didn't speak to the surveyor myself. I emailed him with a few other questions on the report actually. It all seemed fine to me, but I suppose, I just don't know what's the usual type of thing to look out for on these reports. I'm happy enough once it's structurally sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cilim75

It was three bed with three bathrooms, mine is two bed with one bathroom. Looks nicer, much bigger kitchen. Saying that, only saw it on add, haven't been in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

It was three bed with three bathrooms, mine is two bed with one bathroom. Looks nicer, much bigger kitchen. Saying that, only saw it on add, haven't been in that house.

Did you say it was sale agreed? It could’ve gone for way more that the asking

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cilim75

Did you say it was sale agreed? It could’ve gone for way more that the asking

The EA said that it was sale agreed at that price, although no deposit was given yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

We got our new house last week.

We have received folio, searches document, and BER certificate only.

Do we need to ask/expect any other documents with a new built house please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

We got our new house last week.

We have received folio, searches document, and BER certificate only.

Do we need to ask/expect any other documents with a new built house please?

Not sure but I know I'd be asking for the house drawings in Auto CAD or pdf at a minimum and the specs for the heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you so much.

Any one else could help me out who have recently purchased a new house?
    Not sure but I know I'd be asking for the house drawings in Auto CAD or pdf at a minimum and the specs for the heating system.

Doubt you'll be given the drawings.

awec wrote: »
    Doubt you'll be given the drawings.

Why would this not be standard? You'd need the drawings of your own home

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Signed the contracts today, seven weeks after going sale agreed. Direct debit mandate, house insurance and everything is all with the bank, and we're requesting funds tomorrow. I can't believe how close it is to being done.

Have to admit, having a good bank is fantastic. I'm actually chuffed with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You'd need the drawings of your own home

Only if you're building it yourself.

Not to say it never happens but I've never heard of anyone being given the drawings to a house they've bought off a developer.

I'm pretty sure the drawings remain the property of the developer. Same as how you don't get the drawings from the manufacturer when you buy a new car etc.

If you build your own house then you'll be commissioning the drawings yourself, so they'd be yours.

awec wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the drawings remain the property of the developer. Same as how you don't get the drawings from the manufacturer when you buy a new car etc.

If you build your own house then you'll be commissioning the drawings yourself, so they'd be yours.

So different to Spain (Spanish myself). There the first thing they give you is the plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Our house went up on daft Thursday. EA rang me today, we have about 5 or 6 viewings for weds & Thursday.

We are viewing a house we like on Wednesday.

Advertisement