Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

bubblypop wrote: »
    What difference does it make to them?
    They are selling

Some people would care about the neighbours they are leaving behind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

What difference does it make to them?
    They are selling

They might care if they're friends with the neighbours. They might prefer to sell to a couple or family instead of a landlord for example, so that the neighbours aren't dealing with constant turnover in the house next door never knowing what type of neighbours they'll have from one year to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Just put the foot down, that is nonsense.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Can anyone recommend one of the brokers affiliated with Avant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend one of the brokers affiliated with Avant?

I'm with one of them, however I would NOT recommend them. They have 5 stars on Google, but it's like pulling teeth to get info from the particular staff member I'm dealing with. Also painfully slow coming back with questions (and answers). PM if you wish. I've asked for us to be put through Avant now they've entered the market, but the request hasn't even been acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Givy, can you pm me and I'll cross them off please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just put the foot down, that is nonsense.

Huh? There is absolutely zero entitlement to the info, and definitely not a name as I thought I saw someone suggest.

Some people would care about the neighbours they are leaving behind.

When I bought my last house, the neighbours knew everything about me before I moved in.
    My name, status and even my job. I was not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

When I bought my last house, the neighbours knew everything about me before I moved in.
    My name, status and even my job. I was not happy.

That would drive me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Quick question if contracts have been exchanged, all funding ready to draw and a closing date within the contract (about to lapse tomorrow) how long can a purchaser delay legally?

We were meant to be closing next week (a week after what was originally agreed) and our purchasers have now decided they don't want to move until mid Oct after the restrictions in Dublin have been lifted (Note the restrictions currently dont state you cant move and they currenlty live less than 5km for our house within Dublin also so it all seems a bit ridiculous to be honest especially given by that time we may be at a higher lockdown level and at that point not be permitted to move).

My solicitor seems to have become mute, he contacted us yesterday to say we were closing next tuesday then 30 minutes later the estate agent calls me to say hes been advised that its mid Oct due to Covid restrictions.. has anyone else ran into this lately? appreciate this is a Dublin specific query. Seems a bit of a stall tactic again by our purchasers who have a habit of dragging things out at every corner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

givyjoe wrote: »
    Huh? There is absolutely zero entitlement to the info, and definitely not a name as I thought I saw someone suggest.

A name isnt necessary I agree,

But you have an entitlement to know who it is, if theyre local or a foreign Investor etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Westie, we're due to close soon in Dublin and while I'm wary of the restrictions, we still want to move asap. Both sets of parents are going to help us move, but I'm very conscious of the rule regarding only one household visiting another household and what the neighbours might think. So we'll probably have to get them to help us in shifts so there's no overlap.

It's also our first house and we're coming from an apartment that was fully furnished by the landlord - so we'll have to buy absolutely everything! Which means spending a lot of time in the shops, which isn't ideal at this time, but we're just taking precautions and getting on with it.

It's possible they have the same concerns though and if for example they have an underlying health condition, they might think it's not worth the risk and want to push it out by a couple of weeks. The problem is, I can see level 3 being extended for another 3 weeks or possibly even going up to level 4. So they might want to keep pushing out the date indefinitely :/

I'd talk to your solicitor and to see what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    So I'm sale agreed since last week.

Have a engineer schedule next week to check the house.

Contacted the bank to inform them.

How long do you normally wait for sellers contract?

When do you find out rough closing date?

:)

Get the bank valuer out to the house as soon as you can and get that back in to them, they will then process your loan offer, this takes a few weeks (depending on the bank),

Line up life assurance & house insurance too - you can get this through your bank too if you want to make it a bit easier.

Sellers contract depends on their solicitor. Should be fairly quick though.

Closing date can be any time unfortunately, rough estimates are 8-12 weeks but can be shorter and can be a lot longer....

woodchuck wrote: »
    Westie, we're due to close soon in Dublin and while I'm wary of the restrictions, we still want to move asap. Both sets of parents are going to help us move, but I'm very conscious of the rule regarding only one household visiting another household and what the neighbours might think. So we'll probably have to get them to help us in shifts so there's no overlap.

It's also our first house and we're coming from an apartment that was fully furnished by the landlord - so we'll have to buy absolutely everything! Which means spending a lot of time in the shops, which isn't ideal at this time, but we're just taking precautions and getting on with it.

It's possible they have the same concerns though and if for example they have an underlying health condition, they might think it's not worth the risk and want to push it out by a couple of weeks. The problem is, I can see level 3 being extended for another 3 weeks or possibly even going up to level 4. So they might want to keep pushing out the date indefinitely :/

I'd talk to your solicitor and to see what your options are.

Congrats on the move Woodchuck thats fantastic news!! I totally hear you on the rules we already secured our rental and have been moving everything ourselves bit by bit to the house with one final load with a removal van which will all be covid compliant, I think the exact same in terms of we will probably have more restrictions so this is ridiculous to hold back now, we are also paying rent and a mortgage while they stall its extremely frustrating.

The date they want isnt even the date the restrictions are due to end its beyond that. Also Covid cant live beyond 72 hrs on a surface so they would only need to wait a few days before starting to move stuff if thats part of their concern.

My solicitor has just ignored all our contacts today and yesterday since it just feels like another slap in the face from the purchasers who have been difficult to date

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rookieMan

I am currently bidding on properties and I am finding that on certain properties I bid on, even though my bid is highest, the agent comes back to me stating that seller is expecting more. Is it normal to have a round of negotiation with seller after you have outbid other buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

rookieMan wrote: »
    I am currently bidding on properties and I am finding that on certain properties I bid on, even though my bid is highest, the agent comes back to me stating that seller is expecting more. Is it normal to have a round of negotiation with seller after you have outbid other buyers?

They're well within their rights, probably more so if its still below asking.

If youre above asking by more than 2-3% (Dublin anyway) then you can probably be a little safer holding firm.

Quick question if contracts have been exchanged, all funding ready to draw and a closing date within the contract (about to lapse tomorrow) how long can a purchaser delay legally?

We were meant to be closing next week (a week after what was originally agreed) and our purchasers have now decided they don't want to move until mid Oct after the restrictions in Dublin have been lifted (Note the restrictions currently dont state you cant move and they currenlty live less than 5km for our house within Dublin also so it all seems a bit ridiculous to be honest especially given by that time we may be at a higher lockdown level and at that point not be permitted to move).

My solicitor seems to have become mute, he contacted us yesterday to say we were closing next tuesday then 30 minutes later the estate agent calls me to say hes been advised that its mid Oct due to Covid restrictions.. has anyone else ran into this lately? appreciate this is a Dublin specific query. Seems a bit of a stall tactic again by our purchasers who have a habit of dragging things out at every corner..

You (your solicitor) can issue a 28 day notice. They are pretty ineffectual though.

You (your solicitor) can issue a 28 day notice. They are pretty ineffectual though.

Thanks im aware of that alright, so essentially they can delay max a month from a 28 day notice being served?

Thanks im aware of that alright, so essentially they can delay max a month from a 28 day notice being served?

They can delay after that too but you can withdraw at that point AFAIK.

An order of specific performance would be costly, take ages and you may not even get one. As a throw away comment my solicitor said it would be about €20K when I was venting during the last house I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rookieMan

They're well within their rights, probably more so if its still below asking.

If youre above asking by more than 2-3% (Dublin anyway) then you can probably be a little safer holding firm.

Thanks. Is it ok to ask what is the final price the seller would go at and negotiate accordingly? Or as a seller, you are just expected to keeping bumping up the offer till it is accepted?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Is it ok to ask what is the final price the seller would go at and negotiate accordingly? Or as a seller, you are just expected to keeping bumping up the offer till it is accepted?

It's all a game with no rules. Check the PPR and bid what you think its worth. They either accept it or they don't but they'll bugger you about regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

I got my keys last night. We are delighted.

Thanks for everyone's input. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Is it normal for the agent not to tell the seller who is buying the house?

My parents are selling, and they don't want to sell it to some people in particular. But the agent won't tell us the name of the people who are bidding?

The names of the buyers will be on the contracts that your parents will need to sign so they will find out before they commit to the sale.

It would be costly for the estate agent not to give their names (even just first names) if they have to relist and put more time into selling it another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Is anyone dealing with the AIB portal at the moment? We are experiencing delay upon delay and find it very difficult to speak to anyone. I have to say my experience with it has been shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Is anyone dealing with the AIB portal at the moment? We are experiencing delay upon delay and find it very difficult to speak to anyone. I have to say my experience with it has been shambolic.

Just called them and got things progressed very quickly. Was waiting 3 weeks for things to be verified on the portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Of course it is. Buying a second-hand house, the estate agents will always try and push you to the last penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Yeah online portal they gone awful slow. Just ring but youll be on hold for a good 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Was supposed to collect the keys today at five and around two hours ago the vendor's solicitor emailed saying they now are not in a position to close today and seeming went home for the day. No reason given or anything. My solicitor is trying to get in contact but nobody wants to talk to her. It's just infuriating. Sale agreed for three months. Just infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Has anybody snagged in Galway recently, would appreciate any recommendations if so. Thanks!

Advertisement