Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

Cordell wrote: »
    Yes, these viruses are spreading exponentially, this is how they work.
    We will move on eventually, well, most of us anyway.

Does anyone know what exponentially means? The r number is an exponential number. It means if your case number is 100 and your r number is 1.2 your cases the following day will be 120. This is not how the virus is progressing in any country.

953k deaths would say otherwise.

Isn’t the line there that they’re old or sick so feck them? Expendable apparently.

953k deaths would say otherwise.

Ah come on this is getting ridiculous at this stage. There is 350k people getting infected every day. And those are the ones with symptoms. There is possibly 10x that not being tested. Of those maybe 5k worldwide die. We have a lot bigger problems that are being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Cordell

snowcat wrote: »
    Does anyone know what exponentially means? The r number is an exponential number. It means if your case number is 100 and your r number is 1.2 your cases the following day will be 120. This is not how the virus is progressing in any country.

Pretty much all the first waves in all countries followed an exponential growth, and most of the second waves are also exponential. On a day by day basis may look flat but in reality it's still exponential, except that for Ireland and a few other countries the exponent is lower now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Ah come on this is getting ridiculous at this stage. There is 350k people getting infected every day. And those are the ones with symptoms. There is possibly 10x that not being tested. Of those maybe 5k worldwide die. We have a lot bigger problems that are being ignored.

The problem is that those not “dying” or showing symptoms of it could very well be in contact with someone it would drop like a stone. That’s the horror of this virus. We can downplay it all we want in “it’s only killing this much or infecting that much” but the fact is it IS killing.

• Advertisement

Pretty much all the first waves in all countries followed an exponential growth, and most of the second waves are also exponential. On a day by day basis may look flat but in reality it's still exponential, except that for Ireland and a few other countries the exponent is lower now.

Yes considering there was no capability or capacity to test. That has changed now. Ireland had no idea or comprehension of what was happening at the early stages of the pandemic. They do now. The early testing figures of the situation here are pie in the sky.

The problem is that those not “dying” or showing symptoms of it could very well be in contact with someone it would drop like a stone. That’s the horror of this virus. We can downplay it all we want in “it’s only killing this much or infecting that much” but the fact is it IS killing.

It is killing. But so is so many other ilnesses. We need to move from Covid is the only killer and everything else is a lesser killer.

It is killing. But so is so many other ilnesses. We need to move from Covid is the only killer and everything else is a lesser killer.

Yes we need to be cognisant that there are other illnesses that will cause deaths (missed cancers etc) but none of them are contagious to the extent this is. You can’t willingly pass heart disease to an older person but you could potentially pass covid which may kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Cordell

Killing is not the main concern anyway.
    The main concern is its potential to overwhelm the health system by both overcrowding and sick staff, which already happened in some countries.

Killing is not the main concern anyway.
    The main concern is its potential to overwhelm the health system by both overcrowding and sick staff, which already happened in some countries.

Which countries?

• Advertisement

Which countries?

Italy??? Spain??

Italy??? Spain??

Did we not have a lockdown so we could prepare for that eventuality?

Did we not have a lockdown so we could prepare for that eventuality?

You asked which countries had their health systems overwhelmed?

You asked which countries had their health systems overwhelmed?

Im not sure about countries but definitely Bergamo as an area in italy had an issue. Madrid in Spain. New York in the USA. Im struggling after that. Oh ya London and Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Walked past the Commercial last night sounded very lively

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

bigpink wrote: »

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭James McNulty

It's a well known fact that that Pub was closed by the Gardaí twice during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a well known fact that that Pub was closed by the Gardaí twice during lockdown.

I didnt know that

Well the previous pub was well known for after hours .Unless they are open doing food didn't seem like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭adaminho

Feile Na Greine were recording in a few venues in town last night.

https://twitter.com/mothermacspub/status/1307430988264484865

That's the first I heard of it and I'm in the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

adaminho wrote: »
    Feile Na Greine were recording in a few venues in town last night.

https://twitter.com/mothermacspub/status/1307430988264484865

That's the first I heard of it and I'm in the trade.

"well known fact" is a frequently misused statement. If the Gardai have shut them down twice I doubt they will be allowed open on Monday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If Covid runs unchecked it will in a matter of months overwhelm our healthcare system. And then all of those other potential killers become certain killers because our healthcare system has been crippled and we can no longer treat what used to be treatable. And if you are worried about the mental health implications of social distancing and lockdowns, then just imagine the mental health implications of realising our healthcare system is in ruins, people are dying in large numbers of previously treatable illness and injuries, while at the same time, at night you can hear the trucks are removing the bodies of the elderly and otherwise vulnerable who have succumbed to Covid.

There are no good options in the midst of a pandemic with an IFR of the currently seeming 0.62% that Covid has. Until we have a reliable treatment or effective vaccine (which will be soon) we can't pretend this isn't happening and suffer no consequences. There are only least worst options. All we can do is choose which option will do the least damage and hopefully do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Selfishness and ignorance is what will inflame the second wave.

All I know we walked last around half 11 and could hear the chatter of a busy pub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had a senior doctor of the local equivalent of the Mater in my office today. Cases are pretty bad and he tells me they are just about keeping a lid on it. The complications being caused are awful, hyper thrombosis/massive embolisms/haemorrhaging, air leaks into body cavities, among other complications. The issue is not the amount of cases but the absolutely horrific complications arising which are so far wide in different people meaning treating patients is requiring huge amounts of time and resources.

I had a senior doctor of the local equivalent of the Mater in my office today. Cases are pretty bad and he tells me they are just about keeping a lid on it. The complications being caused are awful, hyper thrombosis/massive embolisms/haemorrhaging, air leaks into body cavities, among other complications. The issue is not the amount of cases but the absolutely horrific complications arising which are so far wide in different people meaning treating patients is requiring huge amounts of time and resources.

I met a senior doctor in the local equivalent of the Mater last week. He informed me they had no one in ICU with Covid. This is a hospital serving 400k people. Id love to know where this senior doctor is finding these critically ill patients (who dont seem to be dying) with all these terrible afflictions when there is 16 people in ICU in a country of 5 million people.

I met a senior doctor in the local equivalent of the Mater last week. He informed me they had no one in ICU with Covid. This is a hospital serving 400k people. Id love to know where this senior doctor is finding these critically ill patients (who dont seem to be dying) with all these terrible afflictions when there is 16 people in ICU in a country of 5 million people.

Sure. Muscat, Oman. Sultan's Armed Forces Hospital.

Countrywide there were 1722 cases this weekend and 28 deaths. 554 current admissions and 172 ICU admissions. Population is circa 4 million and the incidence rate is around 7% of the population. Lockdown wasn't done properly here and social distancing is culturally non existent. Btw, testing isn't done unless you are symptomatic in this country and even at that unless you are in a bad way you're told go home, take paracetamol and isolate for a fortnight, no test. And just because I didn't mention people dying in my post doesn't equate to nobody dying.

Here are the co-ordinates just for you Snowcat, so you CAN find it.
    23.5746273, 58.2074118

Sure. Muscat, Oman. Sultan's Armed Forces Hospital.

Countrywide there were 1722 cases this weekend and 28 deaths. 554 current admissions and 172 ICU admissions. Population is circa 4 million and the incidence rate is around 7% of the population. Lockdown wasn't done properly here and social distancing is culturally non existent. Btw, testing isn't done unless you are symptomatic in this country and even at that unless you are in a bad way you're told go home, take paracetamol and isolate for a fortnight, no test. And just because I didn't mention people dying in my post doesn't equate to nobody dying.

For f sake. Could you not highlight that at the start of your post. Are you actually in Oman or just pulling figures off Worldometers? They are showing less than 8 deaths a day off said Worldometers. Hardly stack them in the corriders stuff. Its ****e like this that creates panic and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

For f sake. Could you not highlight that at the start of your post. Are you actually in Oman or just pulling figures off Worldometers? They are showing less than 8 deaths a day off said Worldometers. Hardly stack them in the corriders stuff. Its ****e like this that creates panic and fear.

Nope, ****e like that is happening in Ireland as well.

My cousin is a radiographer in one of the biggest hospitals in Dublin, they've seen people come in post-covid who were perfectly healthy, in peak physical fitness before falling ill, with holes in their hearts after covid. They've seen people who used to run 5k on their lunch break, barely able to function for several weeks without help.

Keep your head in the sand if you feel like it, the rest of us will take this seriously to protect you and your family.

• Advertisement

I live in Oman. I'm going by the official Covid app. It's called Tarrasud. Feel free to Google it. And btw, I deal with doctors on a weekly basis, I'm principal of a large private school, doctor's children make up a sizable portion of our student body and they all say the same thing, they are being hammered at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement