Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

^^Yep, same boat here. Value is relative so people can spend xxx on something and it's worth it imo but I pre-ordered a digital PS5 the other day and feel very happy with what they gave me. Nvidia offering me nothing like that at the moment so holding out hoping that AMD will sort me out. Was half-tempted to pull the trigger on one of these but seeing people stressed out while in the process of trying to hand over €800 to Nvidia/3rd parties has me convinced now. Again, to each their own and I spend plenty of money on things people wouldn't but just not for me atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

My amazon.de order is now giving me an expected delivery date of Thursday-Saturday next week.
    Not dispatched yet, but hopefully this is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My amazon.de order is now giving me an expected delivery date of Thursday-Saturday next week.

Mine is Monday-Tuesday via Parcel Motel.

Ordered at 15:15

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Mine is Monday-Tuesday via Parcel Motel.

Ordered at 15:15

You had it delivered to the UK first? Is this a hack I am unaware of?

My order went in at 15.28

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Spear wrote: »
    Unsurprising news, nVidia have stopped developing SLI profiles:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5082

The only SLI usage in future is the native Vulkan and DX12 supported one.

Look closer, theyre not developing profiles anymore for previous gen cards after the end of the year. At least SLI hasnt been abandoned outright its still a great concept and I certainly see the performance benefits on FF14.

In terms of stock it should have been no suprise these cards were going to sell out like crazy. I honestly think it will be January before stocks stabilise enough to buy them normally. Least Ive a pair of Asus 2080TIs that will happily keep plugging away for the time being. :D

Press F to pay respect to all those who panic sold their 2080TIs. Im personally thinking of purchasing 2 3090's as I got enough money to grab them but Im not going to rush out and buy them, Ill wait and see how things go, dunno if those cards will sell out as quickly due to being much pricier but I'm not going to rush, Im expecing them to be hard to get the first few weeks or months right now and likely I'll have to wait till January even to grab them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,783 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I am seeing posts all over the internet, a vast amount of people ordered this card and the pre-order stayed up for hours afterwards

They either had a stock of thousands or we're all going to be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Linus, no thanks. He irritates the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    Linus, no thanks. He irritates the crap out of me.

Watch the first 5 seconds to laugh at his hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Homelander wrote: »
    Seriously I am starting to even question my pre-order.

What do I play. Mostly Overwatch. Some Apex. Paladins.

Like I am playing Paladins right now and at 1080p ultra with 200% resolution scale @175fps my 2070 super is at 30%.

I get these notions like "Oh I can hook my PC up to my TV and play games in 4K" but I can't even remember the last time I even played a single player game

Trying to juggle "you are flushing money down the toilet" with "cool new stuff"

The improvement over previous gen is decent. I wouldn't be rushing from a 20 series card to this at these prices,espexially at 1080p, even most 10 series cards will be perfect for that. Anything older then it starts to make sense to upgrade.

I'm currently aiming for 60fps at 4k with a Radeon Vii and mostly hitting it with high or ultra settings on most things. I don't think this generation will have enough to make me move on, unless someone releases an amazing card at the €400 price point, which I doubt. Next generation might be worth looking at.

The 3080 looks like a good card, great build quality and good performance but certainly not worth the madness surrounding it with orders and hawking.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    So go back now and delete that part about bottle necks and we will all pretend it never happened .

Did you see the Hardware Canucks coverage? Looks like you're grand at the higher resolutions, so apologies for casting aspersions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I just got an email from Amazon.de and it's not a cancellation! Maybe some of us will actually get them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

overclockers reporting my evga 3080 black order was received and has not yet shipped. So things look good so far. Anyone who ordered from amazon.de hear anything?

Luck100 wrote: »
    I just got an email from Amazon.de and it's not a cancellation! Maybe some of us will actually get them....

Apt Username

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Infini wrote: »
    Look closer, theyre not developing profiles anymore for previous gen cards after the end of the year. At least SLI hasnt been abandoned outright its still a great concept and I certainly see the performance benefits on FF14.

In terms of stock it should have been no suprise these cards were going to sell out like crazy. I honestly think it will be January before stocks stabilise enough to buy them normally. Least Ive a pair of Asus 2080TIs that will happily keep plugging away for the time being. :D

Press F to pay respect to all those who panic sold their 2080TIs. Im personally thinking of purchasing 2 3090's as I got enough money to grab them but Im not going to rush out and buy them, Ill wait and see how things go, dunno if those cards will sell out as quickly due to being much pricier but I'm not going to rush, Im expecing them to be hard to get the first few weeks or months right now and likely I'll have to wait till January even to grab them.

In fairness, we all knew its going to be a **** show launch. The scalpers will do their thing. Wait until xbox and ps5 launch. They live for **** like this. A lot of people were holding off their upgrades. Others just got wrapped in the hype train too. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict this launch.

And I agree with you, January, if not February, will be the time when dust settles down. The whole holiday season will be a **** show, we nerds love buying ourselves expensive Xmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Did you see the Hardware Canucks coverage? Looks like you're grand at the higher resolutions, so apologies for casting aspersions. :pac:

Just watched it there, pretty much sums up my situation . Thanks for pointing me to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The smart people will continue looking for 450-500eur 2080 Ti's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The smart people will continue looking for 450-500eur 2080 Ti's :pac:

Smart people will keep their 2080TIs and keep using them as its still very powerful card, but they will need to swallow ( gigidi ) a tough pill, that card is not worth 1000eu+++.

The shortage right now favours second hand seller, but at the same time they can't get 3080 anyway. Then again, a lot of sellers think they can sell 2080ti second hand for 700eu and buy 3080 for 700eu. Which is a bit dim, to say the least.

Smart people will keep their 2080TIs and keep using them as its still very powerful card, but they will need to swallow ( gigidi ) a tough pill, that card is not worth 1000eu+++.

The shortage right now favours second hand seller, but at the same time they can't get 3080 anyway. Then again, a lot of sellers think they can sell 2080ti second hand for 700eu and buy 3080 for 700eu. Which is a bit dim, to say the least.

The idiots who write "I paid €1200 for it so X is a fair price" and couple it with "I'm buying a 3080" boils my piss. I love how some cards are also magically sold with no properly accepted offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have never considered technology as a asset. Its a cost per year. 2080ti's still have value but anyone who though a second hand graphics card was not worth 30-50% of RRP is dreaming. On the other hand this notion of "stupid rich people" that pervades graphics card releases is kinda weird. I think if you took the contrarian view you not be long getting banned from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Luck100 wrote: »

I've only received the original order email from 315 ish yesterday. Order status showing similar details to your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Fitz II wrote: »
    I have never considered technology as a asset. Its a cost per year.

I have come around to this way of thinking in the last few years and it changes your view on tech and how much you will or won't spend .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

jonski wrote: »
    I have come around to this way of thinking in the last few years and it changes your view on tech and how much you will or won't spend .
    It depends on how you use it. Most things I get I use to their death. I often pay premium with the expectation it'll last. I've found that more often to be true then not albeit I recognise the risks of being an early adoptor. I'd say I'm up over all in my investment in new tech. It's an asset to me in terms of time and experience but I dont tend to sell my tech. It dies with me or in the hands of my family (being passed down).

TL;DW - 30 Series is faster because it's faster rather than any great leap in RT or Tensor core efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

TL;DW - 30 Series is faster because it's faster rather than any great leap in RT or Tensor core efficiency.

I've a feeling that my son will see quite the improvement in Ray Tracing with the 3080, compared to his current GPU, a 1080Ti :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't agree with that assessment. Their own graphs suggest otherwise.

Most of the 1440p stuff is showing near 100% boost over the 2080 with RT or RT+ DLSS with far less gains at native with RT off.

This gap shrinks at 4k as the RT/Tensor starts to struggle at that resolution. More pixels requires more rays and it's being bottlenecked badly again like the 20 series was from release.

Granted cpu bottleneck might be coming into play in some of them. The RT and Tensor cores have been improved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Longing

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Going to wait for the 20G 3080. Sometime after Big Navi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Comparing with 2080ti, in Control 4k and 1440p the performance drop is lower when enabling RT and the RT performance uplift is higher than non RT, so I don't agree either. In fact, the RT performance improvement seems to be on par or even higher than the raw performance improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

It doesn't look good for the Amazon.de Zotac orders.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ask/questions/TxAQ9NMXNH4VE3/5/ref=ask_al_psf_al_hza

"Just had a chat with a guy from Amazon. He told me they DON'T have the card in stock and their main distributor is also NOT able to deliver. I would still say it looks terrible for most people, even if the preorder was available when they ordered."

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    The RT and Tensor cores have been improved though.

They have and I should have been clearer in my TL;DW. There is a marginal increase in RT performance and there must be a big increase by using the sparse arrarys because there are few tensor cores IIRC. Overall though where you get say a 50% improvement in a game you're only getting say 55% more from DLSS+RT. I was hoping for more.

Figures made up for the sake of explanation, I'm sure you guys have the actual figures at 1440P and 4K calaculated.

Advertisement