Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's absolute peak, you're practically never going to get near that. Most good quality PSU's can handle spikes above their rating for short periods as well.

Best advice for people worried is to get a plug in power monitor. Not that expensive and pretty useful. I remember testing my rig with my Vega 56 when I got it. Said I needed a 650W PSU and I dont think I ever went over 400W with a Ryzen 1600 Overclocked. I still went out and got a 750W PSU when one came up on sale... but

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    OcUK main man Gibbo just posted this on their forum, re Ampere availability;

They're also limiting purchases to one per customer.

It would be nice if they were supplied with card dimensions for more of the different versions they are going to offer. Im currently using a CM Dominator II, Ill only have about 305mm length so im limited to the ones that are stated at 280 to 300mm

I have an old CM Stacker full tower case but don't want to use it as its massive, and also don't fancy moving everything over to a new case just to upgrade card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Jesus a CM Stacker, that takes me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

slade_x wrote: »
    It would be nice if they were supplied with card dimensions for more of the different versions they are going to offer. Im currently using a CM Dominator II, Ill only have about 305mm length so im limited to the ones that are stated at 280 to 300mm

I have an old CM Stacker full tower case but don't want to use it as its massive, and also don't fancy moving everything over to a new case just to upgrade card.

I'm in a similar boat with a Corsair 280x. The only ones I've seen so far that have confirmed under 300mm for the 3080 are the founders, the EVGA XC3 and the FTW3 (although this is 300mm so might be tight in my case) and the ASUS TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Yes, no one else needs to say it, I'll say it myself....... I was stupid asking the question without giving more details of my system........but....I'm old so .

i7 7700K
    GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3P 1151 7th Gen DDR4 Motherboard
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X
    HDD - 1x 250g ssd, 1x 500g ssd, 1 2tb sata .

No overclocking ( I know I know, stupid buying a 7700k when I had no intention of OC )

with that in mind how does my my 3 year old EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 650W look now if I added in a 3080 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'm in a similar boat with a Corsair 280x. The only ones I've seen so far that have confirmed under 300mm for the 3080 are the founders, the EVGA XC3 and the FTW3 (although this is 300mm so might be tight in my case) and the ASUS TUF.

If it's listed as 294mm, it should fit, right?

What was the question? :pac:

JoyPad wrote: »
    If it's listed as 294mm, it should fit, right?

Yep that one can get added to the list! Hadn't noticed OC had updated the description of any of them, couldn't find any mention of dimensions when I looked the other day.

Also interesting that there's very few dual fan versions so far. I wonder does this combined with the high TGP mean that any AIBs that don't get fan curves and bios dead on could be in for a bit of bother heat wise

What was the question? :pac:

If you are talking to me then the reason I didn't repeat the question was because I thought I was replying directly after the last comment relating to it

Being the clever boy that I am I missed an entire page of other comments :D

The original question was how would my 650w psu hold up to a 3080 .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

slade_x wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/il7vsg/psa_rtx_3080_card_length_dimensions_for_most/

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    If you are talking to me then the reason I didn't repeat the question was because I thought I was replying directly after the last comment relating to it

Being the clever boy that I am I missed an entire page of other comments :D

The original question was how would my 650w psu hold up to a 3080 .

Should be grand but as pointed out no one has run benchmarks / power consumption tests yet. I'd be more worried about the CPU bottle necking it but I'm guessing you're planning on upgrading the platform down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Yep that one can get added to the list! Hadn't noticed OC had updated the description of any of them, couldn't find any mention of dimensions when I looked the other day.

Also interesting that there's very few dual fan versions so far. I wonder does this combined with the high TGP mean that any AIBs that don't get fan curves and bios dead on could be in for a bit of bother heat wise

What I don't get is how some cards do not have the size specified not even on the manufacturer's website. For example, I liked the idea of having a GPU Temperature indicator on the card itself, saw it in a video that showed pics of AIB cards, and eventually identified it as this one. How can Gigabyte say Card Size TBD? They haven't built it yet? Are the pics mockups, not the real thing? Or is the card size under embargo until September 17th?

Should be grand but as pointed out no one has run benchmarks / power consumption tests yet. I'd be more worried about the CPU bottle necking it but I'm guessing you're planning on upgrading the platform down the line?

Noooooooo , don't say that :( .

I built that PC back at the start of 2017 and in my 20 odd years of having a pc this was the best one I ever had thanks to a generous few family members for my 50th . I was usually at least 1 generation back if not 2 . I justified it with ' shur the money will only end up going on some ****e if i don't spend it' and ' I'll get a good 6 years out of it with a gpu upgrade on year 3 or 4 ' .

So go back now and delete that part about bottle necks and we will all pretend it never happened .

It's still a good platform and will benefit from the upgrade of the GPU - moreso if you're looking at higher resolutions with lower refresh rates? Are you running 4K or planning to?

It's a fairly cheap upgrade to fire a 3600 and B450 or B550 motherboard in there. You can reuse the RAM, but RAM is cheap at the moment. What's not cheap, as in they are holding their value well is 7700K bundles.

It's still a good platform and will benefit from the upgrade of the GPU - moreso if you're looking at higher resolutions with lower refresh rates? Are you running 4K or planning to?

TBH it's only used for endless hours of Red Dead Online and a few hours of PUBG, the monitor is a Dell s2716dg so 1440 gaming .

It's more a case of when I was younger and had family responsibilities I was on a super tight budget and now that the kids are supporting themselves, car and house paid for and my only hobbies are gaming on the PC and vaping it's really nice to be able to get the latest tech, especially when it seems to be keenly priced .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jesus a CM Stacker, that takes me back.

I have a Thermaltake Kandalf....ffs!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ok well bios with sr-iov have been available for a lot of consumer boards since x79 and I've seen a lot of threads about sr-iov working with TRX40 so I don't think that will be an issue.

Those are not consumer boards :)
    It is indeed nice for anyone needing it, but I don't think there will be many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cordell wrote: »
    Those are not consumer boards :)
    It is indeed nice for anyone needing it, but I don't think there will be many.

Don't want to be getting into a weird disagreement over nothing but those definitely are consumer platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

A leak from the Ashes of the Singularity (AotS) game database revealed the performance level of the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks-out

https://techplusgame.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks/

kingtiger wrote: »
    A leak from the Ashes of the Singularity (AotS) game database revealed the performance level of the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks-out

https://techplusgame.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks/

AotS is quite CPU-bound though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AotS is quite CPU-bound though.

Not at 4k and with averages. You get very pronounced CPU scaling there, but with 1% lows.

Anyway, it is significantly faster than 2080ti (88 Vs 70 FPS). That's roughly 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The XC3 version of the 3070. It's a much better looking card than some of the other atrocities.

525743.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

grogi wrote: »
    Not at 4k and with averages. You get very pronounced CPU scaling there, but with 1% lows.

Anyway, it is significantly faster than 2080ti (88 Vs 70 FPS). That's roughly 30%

Ouch, +30% would be kind of disappointing given what's been shown so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jonski wrote: »
    Noooooooo , don't say that :( .

I built that PC back at the start of 2017 and in my 20 odd years of having a pc this was the best one I ever had thanks to a generous few family members for my 50th . I was usually at least 1 generation back if not 2 . I justified it with ' shur the money will only end up going on some ****e if i don't spend it' and ' I'll get a good 6 years out of it with a gpu upgrade on year 3 or 4 ' .

So go back now and delete that part about bottle necks and we will all pretend it never happened .

A 7700K isn't bottlenecking anything.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Ouch, +30% would be kind of disappointing given what's been shown so far.

That's the $700 RTX 3080 being 30% faster than the $1200 2080 Ti.
    Which I concede would line up with it being 60-70% faster than 2080.

hx14xTj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

so when can I buy one.

errlloyd wrote: »
    so when can I buy one.

You can mash F5 on the 17th on the Nvidia site but it seems like all reports are pointing towards low stock. So could be a while longer before they're more widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

im really curious about the cooling and power delivery of the FE cards vs AIB's. I really like the FE's. But id like to get the best bang for my buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You can mash F5 on the 17th on the Nvidia site but it seems like all reports are pointing towards low stock. So could be a while longer before they're more widely available.
    It's actually the 18th 😗

Advertisement