Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Disappointed for people and business's in Dublin. I'd like to have seen every business given the opportunity to open / remain open. Was in the north east recently and the level of compliance with social distancing and masks was poor compared to West Cork. On busier streets most will wear a mask here while no one seemed to in the north east with plenty not doing it in shops etc either.

All counties will be in same boat soon enough of that I'm sure of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

delly wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that people are blaming NPHET for 'forcing' people into mass gatherings at home. Jesus Christ people, they can only do so much and at the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility. Not a single person outside my household has crossed my front door since March. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

The selfish generation, that's what we have now. And before people think im sh1tting all over Ireland im not. It's the same in most western nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,863 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What did they say about the USC? A temporary measure?
    Didn't FG say they were going to phase it out in 5 budgets at one stage....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

One way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Seamai wrote: »
    I was on one of those ferries once from Tallinn to Helsinki, I was probably the only sober person on it, skidded on vomit several times.

The 'Booze cruise' as they call it.
    Luckily they are still both on each others green lists and were so throughout the pandemic :)

But yeah, us Irish can't be trusted so we should close our own off licences :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Are we all dead yet ?

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Are we all dead yet ?

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Nolan flagged some counties and also mentioned the rest are on the same curve as Dublin, just a little behind. How opening pint pubs will help lower cases or level them off in the rest of the country will be interesting. Maybe the house cluster will move to the pubs instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

So for example people in Shankill or any other border area in Dublin can't go into a restaurant if this comes to pass in their local area but they can hop onto a dart or a bus and head into Bray for example and have a meal and a few drinks.

Absolutely no logic to this, close the controlled environment to stop house gatherings.... because that makes loads of sense

They can walk that distance in 25 minutes.

The whole thing is absolute joke at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Are we all dead yet ?

Death is guaranteed, for everyone. When and how is the only uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

What are you on about?

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If the Dubs flock to the West they'll probably get the American treatment, 'Did you self isolate?'.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dan O' Brien talking sense on TV3, down with that sort of thing.

The selfish generation, that's what we have now. And before people think im sh1tting all over Ireland im not. It's the same in most western nations.

My feelings on this from the start. Look at countries with a very western culture. Or a culture based on the individual rights above the collective. USA, Brazil, much of western europe maybe with exception of a few scandinavian countries and Germany.

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    They can walk that distance in 25 minutes.

The whole thing is absolute joke at this point.

What would you suggest?
    Same restrictions all over the country or no extra ones for Dublin?
    Or have a referendum to change the constitution to allow guards effectively police houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Plenty here talking about my area is good numbers wise. A small bit distasteful in polite conversation.
    I hear cork is doing great. We are great at giving ourselves a pat on the back. You wouldn't catch a swede doing that.

Well okay but that is regionalism. Many Irish are embarrassed by personal compliments.

If the Dubs flock to the West they'll probably get the American treatment, 'Did you self isolate?'.

What about all the country folk living in Dublin bringing home the washing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Death is guaranteed, for everyone. When and how is the only uncertainty.

Yes however,
    'Death is but, a mid point in life ' for some...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is the government aiming to eradicate the virus by having regional lockdowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But can people not see how stupid it is when there's these quite obvious loopholes.

You close controlled environments and basically funnel people back into houses.

Last week they wanted to keep these open and open pubs to bring people out of houses into controlled settings

My opinion was that many pubs that are not enforcing or complying with the whole food and distancing are causing this spread in Dublin.

Then you come along, MrRational , and I agree it would be better to have them in a controlled environment .

But that is the crux of the matter ...if pubs aren't complying , which quite a few in Dublin are not , and people are not telling contact tracers how they were rocking in Camden St a week ago , and the guards can't be arsed chasing down the pubs that are the problem , what hope have we with this ?

And don't anyone come back to me and say that ALL pubs are compliant , because they are not !

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    My opinion was that many pubs that are not enforcing or complying with the whole food and distancing are causing this spread in Dublin.

Then you come along, MrRational , and I agree it would be better to have them in a controlled environment .

But that is the crux of the matter ...if pubs aren't complying , which quite a few in Dublin are not , and people are not telling contact tracers how they were rocking in Camden St a week ago , and the guards can't be arsed chasing down the pubs that are the problem , what hope have we with this ?

And don't anyone come back to me and say that ALL pubs are compliant , because they are not !

Not just in Dublin in my experience few in Carlow town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Teachers in limbo. App says close contact, department says not.
    Not a nice position for anyone to be in.

https://twitter.com/emma_okelly/status/1306644986340036610?s=20

HSE also said the App had 'made a mistake'.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

The evidence would tend to suggest that the home is the most risky environment not necessarily pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It will be far easier to control licensed premises than private homes. History has shown this.

I don’t disagree that there is an issue. I just think the response is misguided. The problem is not in regulated premises, rather the contrary.

NPHET want another lockdown but the people are not with them on this one - in March it was the people who demanded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What would you suggest?
    Same restrictions all over the country or no extra ones for Dublin?
    Or have a referendum to change the constitution to allow guards effectively police houses?

Think a clear narrative of don't go inside another's home. The peer pressure to stand apart, wear masks etc is absent behind closed doors so would prefer that and business given the opportunity to trade with exceptions for carers etc

I think most people try to follow the rules and will follow the norms they see about them, if there's confusion etc compliance breaks down as people copy what they see others doing. If its passing via people mixing in each others homes and we want to actively try to reduce it than a clear and consistent message will go further than anything the guards will do.

Was there not meant to be powers for the Guards to shut down non compliant pubs? Or is that coming when the pint pubs reopen?
    Maybe if they enforce it, compliance will increase. Can't imagine many pubs would like to be shut down on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    HSE also said the App had 'made a mistake'.

Indeed the app is in line with the HSE approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Are we all dead yet ?

Clinically dead ? No? it would seem however that quite a few are brain dead though I very much doubt that Covid can be blamed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

In a practical sense, this amounts to closing pubs and restaurants. We don't have the weather for outdoor dining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Dan O' Brien talking sense on TV3, down with that sort of thing.

Economist of think thank makes me feel better. He is so concerned for young people.

WHO's mike Ryan says we don't know about the long term effects for young people.

Meanwhile we will need 2 cases in a class for any restrictions to occur. Great stuff.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoAngelo17/status/1306609814018162688?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement