Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30m-high student accommodation building is ‘too tall’

• 11-09-2020 9:40pm

https://connachttribune.ie/30m-high-student-accommodation-building-in-galway-is-too-tall/

The backers of a proposed 250-bed student accommodation complex on the Headford Road have been told that its 30-metre height is excessive and needs to be scaled back.

And the management company of the adjacent Galway Retail Park have expressed “grave concerns” that it would be an overdevelopment of the site and would exacerbate an already-congested parking situation in the retail park.

Last July, Cleverson Ltd – which is owned by Roscommon accountant Michael Feeley – applied for permission to develop the site of just over one acre which is currently a temporary carpark and vacant land opposite Lidl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

https://connachttribune.ie/30m-high-student-accommodation-building-in-galway-is-too-tall/

The backers of a proposed 250-bed student accommodation complex on the Headford Road have been told that its 30-metre height is excessive and needs to be scaled back.

And the management company of the adjacent Galway Retail Park have expressed “grave concerns” that it would be an overdevelopment of the site and would exacerbate an already-congested parking situation in the retail park.

Last July, Cleverson Ltd – which is owned by Roscommon accountant Michael Feeley – applied for permission to develop the site of just over one acre which is currently a temporary carpark and vacant land opposite Lidl.

The landlords of places like this obviously don't want competition.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3456324287753704&id=247861075266724

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

30M isn't exactly high. Close to the city centre and the college.Maybe the planners prefer low density sprawl miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very similar to the 21-storey tower also opposed by Galway council.
    Me, I agree with them as I don't like glass and concrete boxes overtaking the Galway city charming buildings.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058108911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

biko wrote: »
    Me, I agree with them as I don't like glass and concrete boxes overtaking over the Galway city charming buildings.

So we just continue to build out and not up.
    Okay.
    Carry on as we were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

As I mentioned over on the traffic thread;
    LostDuck wrote: »

This is very backward thinking. We need to build up residential density around the city centre. Students in these facilities will manage with no cars, get off the bus or train in Eyre Square and walk/bike to college.

Instead we push them further out to the suburbs or nearby towns and they're commuting in.

• Advertisement

Me, I agree with them as I don't like glass and concrete boxes overtaking over the Galway city charming buildings.

There's no charm along the Headford road, unless you count the side wall of the cinema.

And this is why we have sprawl.

There is no problem protecting the core areas but as is done all over the world, some areas need to be designated for expansion upwards. Its not a big deal and can further increase the viability of the city center so long as it is done in a controlled and planned way.

The problem with Galway city center is the council have not created a local area plan (LAP) for the area, instead letting private developers take stabs in the dark to see what will get approval and what won't.

It's literally the most stupid and wasteful approach and does nothing whatsoever to protect Galways "charm"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its only 8 storys high though?
    5/6 storys for this location is probably what we will end up with.
    Often see Developers do this, send in a proposal that pushes the envelope, then get it scaled back to what they actually want.

The main problem though is with Galway City Council as DaCor has outlined. They have not created a local area plan (LAP) for the whole Headford Road area and they are actually one of the big landowners there of both Greenfield and Brownfield Sites(Dyke Road Car Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is there any city guidelines for this kind of thing or do they just decide based on how they feel about each submission?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Me, I agree with them as I don't like glass and concrete boxes overtaking the Galway city charming buildings.

This is such backward thinking.

Sprawl is a bad thing. We NEED to start building up.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is there any city guidelines for this kind of thing or do they just decide based on how they feel about each submission?
    Have the City Development Plan - but the only thing really is Zoning; but after that have pretty much free reign if there is no Local Area Plan(with the City Dev Plan). Even Zoning does not guarantee anything in the long run - look at how Liosbaun has slowly morphed from Industrial into Retail.

Headford Road is about as charming as a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

UP is absolutely the way to go. Also it is our responsibility to build UP and not out to protect as much of the original Galway landscape as we can. We keep pushing out taking over fields and woodlands and then we goso far out that we take over MORE fields and grasslands building a big highway shortcut to bring us back in.

Its a bit greedy and very small minded to try and keep a city looking how you want it and not accomodating its natural growth. To keep it aesthetically like a small fishing town with nice thatch cottages might be lovely, but this is a student city and capital of culture. Its booming. You want jobs? You want your kids to have jobs? You want some choice in restaurants and retail? Well that's what it costs. It costs change. The building you remember will eventually have to go. Something more economical and viable will need to take its place.

If everyone had this backward mentality then the entire landmass of the world would be covered over.

-Vega- wrote: »
    The building you remember will eventually have to go. Something more economical and viable will need to take its place.

Quay Street, Shop Street, Market Street etc should be protected from over development but the likes of the Headford Road should be built up. Infact it's better suited to dense residential units than sprawling retail parks which pull external traffic in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LostDuck wrote: »
    Quay Street, Shop Street, Market Street etc should be protected from over development but the likes of the Headford Road should be built up. Infact it's better suited to dense residential units than sprawling retail parks which pull external traffic in.

Have you seen the amount that the carpark in IMC cinemas has sunk into the bog? I don't think it's an area I'd be wanting to invest in.

Have you seen the amount that the carpark in IMC cinemas has sunk into the bog? I don't think it's an area I'd be wanting to invest in.

Strange how the weight of a car causes sinking but the buildings don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

DaCor wrote: »

My guess is, that the buildings were properly underpinned whereas the carpark wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You can also see parts of the Dyke Road sinking, south of Bridge underpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya reckon it wouldn't have sunk if no cars were parked there?

The point is - not many would be willing to buy houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya reckon it wouldn't have sunk if no cars were parked there?

The point is - not many would be willing to buy houses there.

Didn't stop anyone buying in Dun or Gort na Coiribe, won't stop them on this site either.

• Advertisement

Buildings have foundations - footpaths roads, car parks etc do not.

Just take a look at the retail park, buildings have stayed but the ground around has sunk and alot in some places. Once a upon a time there wasnt steps to get into the Cinema as an example. Another would be to take note of the car park lights and the drop around it. That was once level.

Same too is happening in galway s/c but not as bad.

Laviski wrote: »
    Once a upon a time there wasnt steps to get into the Cinema as an example.

There has always been steps

There has always been steps

I suppose the steps at the side of the Cinema (Elverys) were always there too.

Fyi this is going back to mid 90's.

Laviski wrote: »
    I suppose the steps at the side of the Cinema (Elverys) were always there too.

Fyi this is going back to mid 90's.
    I'm almost certain there was. Aren't all the buildings apart from the cinema at the same groundlevel? Not sure how they'd all sink uniformly and leave the cinema on higher ground

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm almost certain there was. Aren't all the buildings apart from the cinema at the same groundlevel? Not sure how they'd all sink uniformly and leave the cinema on higher ground

The cinema building had to be underpinned.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The cinema building had to be underpinned.
    That doesn't surprise me. Not doubting the place is prone to sinking a bit but I don't think steps were added to the cinema since they built it. More curious than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New planning application gone in on 13/01/21 seeking seven story building

zell12 wrote: »
    This is the link to it
    https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20184/0

zell12 wrote: »

Possibly will fail on parking facilities alone

134 bike spaces (20 external, 114 internal) and 11 car spaces for 250 occupants

• Advertisement

Possibly will fail on parking facilities alone

134 bike spaces (20 external, 114 internal) and 11 car spaces for 250 occupants
    Agree
    Very low for both alright, doubt they could say Dyke Road Car park beside it could mitigate against the low number of car parking spaces?

Advertisement