Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30m-high student accommodation building is ‘too tall’

Options
13»

Comments

Looks great. Delighted to see things like that get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thus is a location where that many stories makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The floor plans have been modified to incorporate ‘clusters’ of single rooms grouped around a communal living room/kitchen, with the remainder of the units being single or double bed space units with an internal kitchen and living area.

I had this in student accomodation abroad. Worked great apart from needing to manage the use of the kitched, but ffs, the apartments are built for students (and not for tourists and not for eventual change of use into apartments for young professionals) so this should be standard across the board.

As for too many student beds, I dont think so. Theres 19,000 students in UCG, 4000 of those are foreign students who would struggle to get accomodation in advance, and many 1000s 1st years who also have the same issue AND all this in the face of an accomodation crisis when working people prepared to pay well over a grand a month cant get their own accomodation.

The college has only 1000 beds, for 19000 students. GMIT "has" 680 beds for 12000 students (throuigh some private partnership) . That doesnt seem like oversupply to me.

If as many students are taken out of the accomodation loop as possible, theres more houses and flats for families and working people to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yup its exactly like Westside - low density retail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any sign of this getting started construction?

Advertisement