Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭H_Lime

That's a cool machine Blade:cool:, tell us abour it.
    How long you have it, where'd you get it? Seen a baghira on the roads but not the mastiff.
    If she was mine I'd tempted to drop in some valves to liven up the damper rod fork and is there a 4 pot bolt on caliper option or are you looking at bracket?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Brake fluid day today, Flushed the MSX and the Deauville front and back.
    I used ATE SL6 because the MSX has ABS and low viscosity fluid is supposed to be good for them.
    I stuck it in the Deauville because fresh fluid is always better than old stuff.
    The MSX is a bit of a pain you have to strip half the bodywork away to get to the rear master cylinder.
    I love how that thing is packaged lol its mad!
    Have you ever gone far on it? Looks mega fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭blade1

H_Lime wrote: »
    That's a cool machine Blade:cool:, tell us abour it.
    How long you have it, where'd you get it? Seen a baghira on the roads but not the mastiff.
    If she was mine I'd tempted to drop in some valves to liven up the damper rod fork and is there a 4 pot bolt on caliper option or are you looking at bracket?

Is this grey Baggy the one you've seen before?

Screenshot-20200831-191048.jpg

Not much to tell about my one really.
    I suppose I have it nearly 7 years now.
    Got it in Limerick off a lad that restored it.
    He had a serious amount of bikes.
    He chopped back a bit of the front, added high mudguard, headlight,clocks, exhaust, mirrors.spots,handlebars and rear taillight and tail tidy.
    Painted Engine,Frame,Wheels and plastics.

Cracking bike on Twisties but the ktms can pull away a bit exiting the turns.

Saddle is like sitting on a log, ok when you're moving about a bit but on main rd, it would break your hole.

Yeah brakes, are chronic.
    I think my mate put a brembo master cylinder on his Baggy and it helped a lot.

blade1 wrote: »
    Is this grey Baggy the one you've seen before?

Screenshot-20200831-191048.jpg

Not much to tell about my one really.
    I suppose I have it nearly 7 years now.
    Got it in Limerick off a lad that restored it.
    He had a serious amount of bikes.
    He chopped back a bit of the front, added high mudguard, headlight,clocks, exhaust, mirrors.spots,handlebars and rear taillight and tail tidy.
    Painted Engine,Frame,Wheels and plastics.

Cracking bike on Twisties but the ktms can pull away a bit exiting the turns.

Saddle is like sitting on a log, ok when you're moving about a bit but on main rd, it would break your hole.

Yeah brakes, are chronic.
    I think my mate put a brembo master cylinder on his Baggy and it helped a lot.
    Saw a black one in Dublin yrs back, twas louder than hell hehe. Bikes like this interest me.
    Sure a ktm will slay it and my Dr's easier still, but you have something lesser spotted/characterful. Helping it handle and brake like modern tackle makes it better than the sum of it parts.

Fit a 4 pot is the job I reckon.
    Clearing the spokes is the challenge, the thinner tri bridge 65mm brembos are the best bet. 320mm disc, a 13mm master for a single 4 pot and some valving would transform it. Did this on the Dr's and likewise the etv.
    somebodystopme.jpg
    Itsl in Middleton did these brackets for me in t6 7075 from solid works and the discs were a custom 320mm job for the bolt pattern.
    Well in excess of a four figure front end there but its comparable braking to my old mille r. And like I say, making old sh1t bikes not so sh1t is fun:)

A bike I'd love is the gilera nordwest, now theres a challenge! Was yrs ahead of itself and had the blue print of what would become a whole new niche that ktm ran with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Saw a black one in Dublin yrs back, twas louder than hell hehe. Bikes like this interest me.
    Sure a ktm will slay it and my Dr's easier still, but you have something lesser spotted/characterful. Helping it handle and brake like modern tackle makes it better than the sum of it parts.

Clearing the spokes is the challenge, the thinner tri bridge 65mm brembos are the best bet. 320mm disc, a 13mm master for a single 4 pot and some valving would transform it. Did this on the Dr's and likewise the etv.
    somebodystopme.jpg
    Itsl in Middleton did these brackets for me in t6 7075 from solid works and the discs were a custom 320mm job for the bolt pattern.
    Well in excess of a four figure front end there but its comparable braking to my old mille r. And like I say, making old sh1t bikes not so sh1t is fun:)

A bike I'd love is the gilera nordwest, now theres a challenge! Was yrs ahead of itself and had the blue print of what would become a whole new niche that ktm ran with.

Did I see that Caponord in Kinsale on Sunday??? Lovely bike.

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    Did I see that Caponord in Kinsale on Sunday??? Lovely bike.
    They are a lovely bike when they're made behave:pac:
    Nah Im down south but I'd say there's less than twenty on Irish roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I love how that thing is packaged lol its mad!
    Have you ever gone far on it? Looks mega fun.

I've taken it to Skib before, I like sticking to backroads tbh, Its able for 100 kph ish but not really made for R roads.
    In town these would be a weapon.
    Easy to thread through any space you could imagine.
    Packaging is mad for sure, see the two black lines just behind the tank? They are the brake lines from the ABS unit, its tiny, you could fit it in the palm of your hand.

I've taken it to Skib before, I like sticking to backroads tbh, Its able for 100 kph ish but not really made for R roads.
    In town these would be a weapon.
    Easy to thread through any space you could imagine.

Have you any on board footage by any chance? It's gotta be well nippy yea?
    Any more mods? I see a guy stuck a pani engine in one:pac:

Have you any on board footage by any chance? It's gotta be well nippy yea?
    Any more mods? I see a guy stuck a pani engine in one:pac:

I haven't got any onboard, it is nippy off the mark and up to 60-80 ks after that it goes a bit slower with wind resistance.
    That Pani engined one didn't end well. Went a bit black and crispy I think.

somebodystopme.jpg

Bit of an undertaking with the brakes so.
    I wonder would KTM brakes fit the Mastiff as they share some parts already.

There was a capo for sale a week of two ago.

There was also a lovely Falco.
    It had all the upgrades, öhlins rear shock and I think an öhlins steering damper..
    New tyres as well.
    Same owner with 10 years.
    I had a sleepless night over it and very nearly made a call about it but it was gone that day.
    Someone got a good bike for decent enough money.
    You didn't buy by any chance?

• Advertisement

Bit of an undertaking with the brakes so.
    I wonder would KTM brakes fit the Mastiff as they share some parts already.

There was a capo for sale a week of two ago.

There was also a lovely Falco.
    It had all the upgrades, öhlins rear shock and I think an öhlins steering damper..
    New tyres as well.
    Same owner with 10 years.
    I had a sleepless night over it and very nearly made a call about it but it was gone that day.
    Someone got a good bike for decent enough money.
    You didn't buy by any chance?
    What colour was she? Think of the rotax hareem you'd have then lol!!! Nah I'm overstretched with bikes degrading from lack of use then I feel all guilty and shower them in Looove and sure I've fook all time to be riding these days, tis madness I tell ya:eek:!

Would deffo love another falco tho lol.

What colour was she? Think of the rotax hareem you'd have then lol!!! Nah I'm overstretched with bikes degrading from lack of use then I feel all guilty and shower them in Looove and sure I've fook all time to be riding these days, tis madness I tell ya:eek:!

Would deffo love another falco tho lol.

It had a full bellypan I think and the cans were carbon, they may have been the proper SL ones and also had a gabro chip.
    Luggage came with it as well.
    Seller said he toured Europe on it a few times.
    Oh yeah, also had high handlebar kit.
    23k miles and it was either 03 or 04.

Asking price was 2450.
    It was lovely.
    I'd probably have bought it if it was still for sale.
    Snapped up quick.

There's a similar colour(not quite) one in cork for the same price but it's not on the same level as the other one.

One that sold was this colour scheme
    740-Aprilia-SL1000-Falco.jpg

One that sold was this colour scheme
    I remember one of them in NI for sale last year maybe?, same colour scheme.

I remember one of them in NI for sale last year maybe?, same colour scheme.

Not the same one CJ.
    This one was Meath I think.

IMG-20200904-112228.jpg
    The Dr's don't have preload adjustability. EBay seller listed Dr650 caps for the se model which should have had 41mm stanchions but they got that wrong, 43mm. Sent them a schematic and got these snail mail from China. Need me verniers lol, hope they fit:confused:

And they do
    IMG-20200904-200801.jpg
    Woohoo
    :)
    Mmmm falcos.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I don't think that's your one. It doesn't have a yellow Triumph in front of it.

lennymc wrote: »
    I don't think that's your one. It doesn't have a yellow Triumph in front of it.
    Hahaha I loled there so I did.
    Sthory with ya, how's the holeshot blower conversion going with the Fazer on stun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ah still tipping away, havent been on it in a few weeks actually. busy with work & stuff. must go for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

what a day
    4 hrs to remove the old ignition coils
    a well known issue on Kawasaki despite copious amounts of freeing oil / wd 40 / freezing spray they just did not want to budge

The coil number 1 was a complete sh1te it fell asunder in the bore and I had to remove the valve cover to remove the bits of plastic :-(

525412.jpg

525413.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=525414&stc=1&d=1599334007

• Advertisement

what a day
    4 hrs to remove the old ignition coils
    a well known issue on Kawasaki despite copious amounts of freeing oil / wd 40 / freezing spray they just did not want to budge

The coil number 1 was a complete sh1te it fell asunder in the bore and I had to remove the valve cover to remove the bits of plastic :-(

525412.jpg

525413.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=525414&stc=1&d=1599334007

Jesus, never seen that, what bike is it and how long was it in the sea lol?

Jesus, never seen that, what bike is it and how long was it in the sea lol?
    I think it used to be a submarine :-(
    Kawasaki Versys 650 2008 this is a well known issue on Kawasaki where
    water Ingress rots the coil sticks and they corrode and swell :-(
    it was an absolute pain to get them out

Have replaced both and plugs so looking forward to a scoot in the morning see if it performs any better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have replaced both and plugs so looking forward to a scoot in the morning see if it performs any better :-)

Certainly wont be any worse!

;)

I'd hazard a guess she will be firing better after that mess was removed alright, fair play to you. So there is no drain port for the coil tunnels then I take it!?
    Silicone grease shyte out of the ht rubber sealing caps inside and out in an attempt to waterseal? Either way, good save, the plugs could have seized in. Were they difficult to remove and what was access like?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Certainly wont be any worse!

;)
    If it does not run better I will put a match to it :-)

No in fairness it still ran which tally's with its bullet proof reputation
    But I was determined not to wait till the middle of winter for it to act up

I'd hazard a guess she will be firing better after that mess was removed alright, fair play to you. So there is no drain port for the coil tunnels then I take it!?
    Silicone grease shyte out of the ht rubber sealing caps inside and out in an attempt to waterseal? Either way, good save, the plugs could have seized in. Were they difficult to remove and what was access like?
    I hope so :-)
    No no drain :-(
    Have ordered the silicone grease and will remove the tank again and grease the you know what out of it
    Access was poor I was gripping the top o the coil with a mole grips it would turn left and right but would not lift up / out :-(
    Eventually got a good grip with a vise grip and used a crowbar to wedge it up
    but one fell asunder and left a load of plastic in the bore and I had to remove the valve cover to get access to remove the plastic bits :-(
    what a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

bladespin wrote: »
    In the process of getting the kwacker running again and have run into a leaking tank, what's best to seal with, have seen youtube vids recommending Por 15, Sloash etc but can't find it here, any suggestions?

Did you get this sorted Blade? I have a leak on my Hyosung. Its a known fault. The weld/seam has a leak. I have jb weld ordered but i want to use POR15 or similar for inside the tank.

Time for fork seals on mastiff.
    Makeshift height adjuster works a treat on the abba stand :D

IMG-20200831-110914.jpg

IMG-20200831-164643.jpg

Out with the old oil

IMG-20200831-132507.jpg

Everything apart and a clean.

IMG-20200831-161546.jpg

Then I only realised when I went to fill them that I hadn't enough oil to do both so can't put everything back on the bike today. :mad:

Two weeks have nearly passed since I ordered fork oil.
    Just as well there was no panic.
    It turned up today.
    They didn't have the one I ordered so sent this instead.
    700ml for each fork.

IMG-20200911-175959.jpg

Forks back on and I may as well service the brakes next.
    A clean, pads and new fluid will be done but not today.

IMG-20200911-181107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Won't win any prizes for precision craftsmanship but it works. Have gone through two new batteries on the deauville before troubleshooting a regulator/rectifier problem and don't fancy losing another one so installed this voltmeter so I can keep an eye on things.

U0zVjzxl.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Done the other day. Pipes resprayed and some touch ups on the rear wheel.

GO5bZ8b.jpg
    ymcNY3W.jpg

Advertisement