Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I’ve had one Suzuki bike, and it’s put me off them for life. The greatest piece of sh1te that I’ve ever wasted money on

I'll refer you to D3v!L woes above.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just got this from the dealer.

524270.jpg

I could have swore my bike was bigger :eek:

Tell you what though- the fact they have a special jig to hold the motor, and that it looks well used (i.e. not shiney...) is very telling ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭D3V!L

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tell you what though- the fact they have a special jig to hold the motor, and that it looks well used (i.e. not shiney...) is very telling ....

Its the main dealer for NI so id say the jig is well used. I drove the bike home from Belfast yesterday evening in torrential rain and it didn't miss a beat. The lads up there are bang on and really know how to look after their customers. I couldn't say the same for BMW breakdown recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Its the main dealer for NI so id say the jig is well used. I drove the bike home from Belfast yesterday evening in torrential rain and it didn't miss a beat. The lads up there are bang on and really know how to look after their customers. I couldn't say the same for BMW breakdown recovery.

Yer sorted so, a speedy resolution, then again it's a brand new machine that sh@t itself so one would expect that. Did you ask them or a new bike and what if it does it again out of interest?
    Is there a lemon law here?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Yer sorted so, a speedy resolution, then again it's a brand new machine that sh@t itself so one would expect that. Did you ask them or a new bike and what if it does it again out of interest?
    Is there a lemon law here?

There is a lemon law and I had a cursory glance. I think they have 2 times to fix something in 6 months. Ive spent a fair few quid on extras so I'd be more inclined to get this fixed.

The gear box is smooth now, like my wife's RNineT. My GSA was never like this from day one so there must have been an underlying issue with it.

• Advertisement

There is a lemon law and I had a cursory glance. I think they have 2 times to fix something in 6 months. Ive spent a fair few quid on extras so I'd be more inclined to get this fixed.

The gear box is smooth now, like my wife's RNineT. My GSA was never like this from day one so there must have been an underlying issue with it.

Did they tell you what the issue was or what they suspected it was?

Did they tell you what the issue was or what they suspected it was?

Nope, they don't do strip downs of the gear boxes. The unit is delivered by BMW and they just swap them out. The R series bikes are fairly modular. If the engine had an issue , funny ticking or something BMW would just replace the whole unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My first bike was a suzuki. It was only a little marauder 125 but after a few months parts were falling off it. Got rid of it for a yamaha and never looked back.

No offence but budget piles of ****e are budget likes of ****e in any brand. Whether it's poor metals or poor steels they are all cheap so your experience isn't really valid. Maurader lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

My first bike was a suzuki. It was only a little marauder 125 but after a few months parts were falling off it. Got rid of it for a yamaha and never looked back.

20200603-162121.jpg

Yeah sure they practically fall apart after a few months. FFS.

20200603-162121.jpg

Yeah sure they practically fall apart after a few months. FFS.

Did she sell Paddy? Looks sweet.

• Advertisement

Nope, they don't do strip downs of the gear boxes. The unit is delivered by BMW and they just swap them out. The R series bikes are fairly modular. If the engine had an issue , funny ticking or something BMW would just replace the whole unit.

Crazy, did you ask em what they thought the fault may have even been?
    Anyway, glad yer sorted Devil, hope she's groovy for you here on but tbh if I was a betting man I'd say we will see another pic of her in her natural habitat again, the van. In fairness to you you don't hide the good from the bad. Good luck.

listermint wrote: »
    No offence but budget piles of ****e are budget likes of ****e in any brand. Whether it's poor metals or poor steels they are all cheap so your experience isn't really valid. Maurader lol..

Valuable input there mate thanks. Yes a little marauder hilarious, but we all couldn't start out on gixxers or ducatis unfortunately.

Did she sell Paddy? Looks sweet.

No, I had two bikes on dungdeal, I took both adds down, people ring with a long questionnaire then say it's out of their budget and fire a lowball offer. I don't know but there seems to be the perception if your selling you're desperate. Might change next year if the suzi doesn't fall apart in the shed.

Valuable input there mate thanks. Yes a little marauder hilarious, but we all couldn't start out on gixxers or ducatis unfortunately.

I was pointing out how you based a single entry level bike which has the cheapest parts in it as the basis for an entire Marque.... Valuable input there mate indeed.

I was pointing out how you based a single entry level bike which has the cheapest parts in it as the basis for an entire Marque.... Valuable input there mate indeed.

Yes I know, but the equivalent yamaha entry level bikes were much higher quality for pretty much the same money. The lol at the marauder was annoying

No, I had two bikes on dungdeal, I took both adds down, people ring with a long questionnaire then say it's out of their budget and fire a lowball offer. I don't know but there seems to be the perception if your selling you're desperate. Might change next year if the suzi doesn't fall apart in the shed.
    Fellas be thinking that alright what with the rona and people falling on harder times. Yours is an honest bike in super nick but unfortunately you have the chancers to deal with too:rolleyes:

Yes I know, but the equivalent yamaha entry level bikes were much higher quality for pretty much the same money. The lol at the marauder was annoying

I know it was intended to wind ya up :P

Point still stands, you made a blanket post so i wanted to 1 call you out and 2 give ya a little windup.

Look its friday we're all friends here.

I know it was intended to wind ya up :P

Point still stands, you made a blanket post so i wanted to 1 call you out and 2 give ya a little windup.

Look its friday we're all friends here.

Fair enough, I could have made my point a bit clearer at the start. The marauder was a ball of ****e, got rid of it after 9 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I’ve had great results selling on Facebook marketplace recently. Posted my TZR125 up On fb at 11.30pm on a Thursday night and it was on a trailer at 11.30am the following morning. Quite a few interested people I had to disappoint.
    Had the same stuff up on dung deal and had nothing but time wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Brake fluid day today, Flushed the MSX and the Deauville front and back.
    I used ATE SL6 because the MSX has ABS and low viscosity fluid is supposed to be good for them.
    I stuck it in the Deauville because fresh fluid is always better than old stuff.
    The MSX is a bit of a pain you have to strip half the bodywork away to get to the rear master cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Saw an msx on Mary st today, and have to say they look great crack, might be next on the list :) (once I get rid of the TDM)
    Had a go on something similar maybe 15 years ago, same size but 50cc, animal through traffic :)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Brake fluid day today, Flushed the MSX and the Deauville front and back.
    I used ATE SL6 because the MSX has ABS and low viscosity fluid is supposed to be good for them.
    I stuck it in the Deauville because fresh fluid is always better than old stuff.
    The MSX is a bit of a pain you have to strip half the bodywork away to get to the rear master cylinder.

Same location on mine have to pull off the rear hand grip rear guard then the side plastics oh and move the rear brake guard and loosen the foot pedal too. All to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

So far I have replaced the chain drilled and tapped both sides of the swing arm as both chain tensioner bolts were seized and snapped off
    Changed oil and filer & air filter
    Replaced brake fluid in rear as it was manky
    Picked up some coolant today and will flush and replace tomorrow

Lucky for me the brake fluid was a 10 min job nothing to remove except seat to get at master cylinder :-)

Have 2 coils on order and might do the shims too while I have it apart to do the plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Changed the Coolant yesterday evening easy peasy
    Longest part was removing all the plastic to get at the Reservoir to remove it and clean it out
    Coolant in it was better than expected so It must have had a service at some point :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Glued a fairing on the battery cover on my Suzuki GZ 125, found Gorilla Glue in ALDI for €5 for two tubes of it so seemed to do the job, I’ll check later to see if it’s sealed correctly. It’s the little handy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Fellas be thinking that alright what with the rona and people falling on harder times. Yours is an honest bike in super nick but unfortunately you have the chancers to deal with too:rolleyes:

Its the same on all the sites. "Would you like to swap for some magic beans and cash my way?"

Thankfully not everyone is an ignorant time waster but anytime I've sold anything online 1 in 5 are genuine offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Would it have been better to use a cable tie? Most things like that will need to come off at some point. I don't know the part or its use but I would have thought a fairing or cover might need to come off later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Time for fork seals on mastiff.
    Makeshift height adjuster works a treat on the abba stand :D

IMG-20200831-110914.jpg

IMG-20200831-164643.jpg

Out with the old oil

IMG-20200831-132507.jpg

Everything apart and a clean.

IMG-20200831-161546.jpg

Then I only realised when I went to fill them that I hadn't enough oil to do both so can't put everything back on the bike today. :mad:

blade1 wrote: »
    Time for fork seals on mastiff.
    Makeshift height adjuster works a treat on the abba stand :D

IMG-20200831-110914.jpg

IMG-20200831-164643.jpg

Out with the old oil

IMG-20200831-132507.jpg

Everything apart and a clean.

IMG-20200831-161546.jpg

Then I only realised when I went to fill them that I hadn't enough oil to do both so can't put everything back on the bike today. :mad:

You could get a litre of ATF from your local autoparts shop and finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You could get a litre of ATF from your local autoparts shop and finish it.

The nearest place to me didn't have the weight I wanted so I drove somewhere else to get a litre.
    For some reason I thought I needed 500ml a fork but I needed 700ml for each.
    I should know by now to check things before I start :o

Advertisement