Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Out for a spin yesterday evening and came across this blocking the road, i waited 5 minutes and some farmer arrives chasing a cow and a few sheep into his yard :pac:

First off he has no authority to block the road but its so dangerous.
    It didnt actually bother me on a bike but shortly after i recorded this clip a car came around the corner at normal speed and had to break hardish with two kids in the back, the lady driving was far from impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out early, up cruagh, glencree, sally gap, luggala and back round via ballinastoe, onnagh bridge, back up glencree, featherbeds and back. Was pretty cold this morn and grey on the high ground, but lovely back in the city now. Also, literally hundreds out cycling, non stop stream of people passed on the way back.
    Theres a load of film caravans and tents set up at luggala, anyone know what they are filming?

https://www.strava.com/activities/4019221189

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I was out cycling today on a small road with 1 lane either side, no hard shoulder or cycle track.
    There was a lot of cars behind me but I held the lane to stop myself being squeezed. Which I have been before.

I eventually moved over when the road widened and straightened. A string of cars overtook me (most safely and courteously).

I was in my parents' house afterwards and my dad told me (not his words, he was just saying what he was told) that I was holding up traffic. He told me that a friend of the family met him in a local shop and said she was in a queue of cars and thought it was a tractor up ahead and when she eventually came to the top of the queue she saw me in the middle of the road blocking traffic and that I should've been keeping left.

She said I was constantly glancing over my shoulder (which I was occasionally) and I was more of a danger to myself than the cars were. She said I should be constantly looking forward.

A girl I work with says you should occasionally look over your shoulder to let drivers behind know that you know they're there. She said looking over your shoulder occasionally is good practice and equivalent to a driver checking the rear view mirror.

The mind boggles. My dad was just reiterating what she was saying btw. Not his sentiments.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

she saw me in the middle of the road blocking traffic and that I should've been keeping left.
    Whatever about your one driving, the above appears to be a widely held belief and needs to be corrected by the RSA as part of an overall re-education programme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

Dcully wrote: »
    Out for a spin yesterday evening and came across this blocking the road, i waited 5 minutes and some farmer arrives chasing a cow and a few sheep into his yard :pac:

It didnt actually bother me on a bike but shortly after i recorded this clip a car came around the corner at normal speed and had to break hardish with two kids in the back, the lady driving was far from impressed.

Actually, a person controlling animals does have the right to stop/ control traffic, as for the car having to brake hard - they were going to fast for the conditions. I agree it’s not a great position for the tractor, but it’s such a small road that I’d say he does it every day without too much bother. There is a farmer near me that does something similar with a herd of 120 dairy cows twice a day every day between the milking parlour and the fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...First off he has no authority to block the road but its so dangerous.....
    As has been said, he does. He used the tractor/trailer in lieu of having another person. If the other person was there, you'd be obliged to stop regardless so I'm not really sure what the difficulty is.

My mother in-law puts two visible electric cables across a public road when bringing the cows across for milking twice daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

80km, out to navan, cut across to duleek and back. 80km, 30km/h, 500m climbing

the road from navan to kentstown would be a nicer road to cycle were it quieter.
    at one point a string of cars overtook an oncoming tractor - the typical 'follow my leader' routine where they assume if the driver in front does it, it's safe for them. despite some comical waving from me, a chap in a golf overtook the tractor directly into my path. the waving turned to some other gestures and i may have theatrically mouthed a greeting at him.

do you ever use the back road from kentstown to navan or vice versa???? route is as follows:

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.6337756,-6.6592509/Navan+Rd,+Kentstown,+Co.+Meath/@53.6200702,-6.6223517,13.22z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-6.6121497!2d53.6255715!3s0x4867439c329e3295:0x743d3f74fdc8a0a2!3m4!1m2!1d-6.5467706!2d53.6263426!3s0x4867415cde053621:0xc78bd2a274af0581!1m5!1m1!1s0x486741409a58f1d7:0x3250e0c5250b6e10!2m2!1d-6.5334911!2d53.6275229!3e0

Its quieter, prettier, and for the most part the surface is alright, not the best past walterstown gaa club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nope, will give that a shot next time i'm out that way, cheers. it's not a part of the world i know that well.

Been a while but I normally take the high road there from Navan L1600 that brings you over to McGruders X at the N2 but take a left before that over to Fenor which is up then down and was decent enough last I was on it, then a right on the N2 and a left very soon after to head for Donore.

Actually I'm reminded of wondering whats behind those fancy looking gates at Beaupark X there. Worth a stop there and look right to see the level crossing and station house which is a house now and the lovely row of houses next to it.

Actually now that I think of it there is actually a lot to see vs the straight shot to Kentstown form Navan, and you haven;t lived until you've been to Yellow Furze. I think it has a school and an oddly modern church for the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin from Gorey to Carnew, Myshal and up Mount Leinster via the shorter but steeper side, forecast was for sunny weather but from Carnew it was raining and as we got near mount Leinster it was shrouded in mist and lots of rain. Across a myriad of boreens covered in cow shyte to Graignemanagh. Stopped for a pre arranged food stop there , as we pulled in, the racing group were heading back out. Think we went through Balleymurphy, Kiltealy and on to Ferns where we eventually hit dry roads, rolled into Gorey towing a few tired bodies.
    123km avg 26.4 kph almost 1,500 metres and one shyte caked bike :)
    Not one of the enjoyable spins though for me.

• Advertisement

... and you haven;t lived until you've been to Yellow Furze. I think it has a school and an oddly modern church for the area?
    It also seems to have a strong cycling club. I see them out and about regularly and they seem to send a contingent to all the big sportives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It didn't actually bother me on a bike but shortly after i recorded this clip a car came around the corner at normal speed and had to break hardish with two kids in the back, the lady driving was far from impressed.

I know a few others have said about the farmer having the right to do it, but that aside. In relation to the driver looking unimpressed, you said they were doing a normal speed but had to break hard. It again points to the fact that what is normal and what is safe are from the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

As has been said, he does. He used the tractor/trailer in lieu of having another person. If the other person was there, you'd be obliged to stop regardless so I'm not really sure what the difficulty is.

My mother in-law puts two visible electric cables across a public road when bringing the cows across for milking twice daily.

I would hazard a guess that electrifying a public road isn’t safe, legal or necessary, and having done something for a certain period of time doesn’t make it ok. Hopefully nobody with a eye sight issues goes for a walk there.

Also if your blocking a road isn’t a warning some bit down the road necessary? Maybe somebody knows more about the rules of the road than I do, but intentionally blocking a road with no warning signs would seem illegal to me.

I would hazard a guess that electrifying a public road isn’t safe, legal or necessary, and having done something for a certain period of time doesn’t make it ok. Hopefully nobody with a eye sight issues goes for a walk there.
    Agri electric fence cables - not standard electric current. The cables have strips dangling from them to indicate their presence.

..Also if your blocking a road isn’t a warning some bit down the road necessary? Maybe somebody knows more about the rules of the road than I do, but intentionally blocking a road with no warning signs would seem illegal to me.
    Yes, there is a warning sign further along on each side indicating that livestock are crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What I like about Strava (or any similar app that shows live stats for cycling)- you intend to go for a leisurely spin, watching your stats/speed & end up pushing yourself.

Went for a spin from home, aimed for a communication mast on top of a hill nearby. Have to time cycles as it was getting dark when I got back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4022600437

^ link not working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

^ link not working

Cheers, fixed it.

Agri electric fence cables - not standard electric current. The cables have strips dangling from them to indicate their presence.

Yes, there is a warning sign further along on each side indicating that livestock are crossing.

I wouldn’t have any confidence of coming out the right side of a liability issue agri cables or not, but that’s for them to consider I guess.

That said users of country roads should have awareness that agriculture is in use, as well as other hazards like animals and poor surfaces and adjust their speed accordingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've helped herd sheep and cattle a couple of times while out on the bike. including finding two calves loose on the road at one point, and having to herd them back to the farm (thankfully, i got them back to the correct one).

i've helped herd sheep and cattle a couple of times while out on the bike. including finding two calves loose on the road at one point, and having to herd them back to the farm (thankfully, i got them back to the correct one).

No farmer will tell you that your at the wrong farm if you bring him a few calves!

• Advertisement

Well if you want to get technical while he may be allowed to block roads to herd cattle he is obliged to display warning signs on twisty roads that the tractor is not clearly visible to incoming traffic.

He is also obliged to ensure atleast one other person should be on standby to warn other road users.

Since this spot is used regularly as a crossing point he is obliged to have a permanent sign in place and also to put up a temporary warning sign to warn other road users of mud or dung from the animals.

This guy had no warnings anywhere and was blocking the road on a very twisty section especially from the other side with a huge tractor and trailer.

He is also liable for any injury or damage arising from his blocking the road.

The net result is this particular guy was breaking the law, dress it up how you like he was in the wrong here.

..... he is obliged... .

....He is also obliged...

.... he is obliged to....

.....He is also liable....

....this particular guy was breaking the law..

There's only one person dressing things up here. Perhaps you could provide some further information.

What other info do you want?
    Exactly how am i dressing it up?
    No warnings whatsoever = illegal.

Then again you seem to think electric cables on a public road is accceptable so maybe anything goes for you in farmland :pac:

We are going OT here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What other info do you want?
    Exactly how am i dressing it up?
    No warnings whatsoever = illegal.

Then again you seem to think electric cables on a public road is accceptable so maybe anything goes for you in farmland :pac:

We are going OT here :)

If a driver has trouble seeing a 100hp tractor a sign isn't going to do much.

The sense of entitlement that the road ahead should not be obtructed by tractors is the exact same as the driver whining about cyclists.

If she wants to transport her children as safely as possible, the most effective measures are the one she has control over; i.e. her speed, concentration, skill level, car condition.

If cows are crossing regular the stream of cow sh1te on road is typically more manifest than your regular sign.

I did cycle into a narrow cord electric fence once, I was trepassing on a real boithrin though. Had a 30km cycle home with a wound that needed a few stitches. There was blood on the bike for a while😀

If a driver has trouble seeing a 100hp tractor a sign isn't going to do much

True but the sign/warnings is the law plus as ive said the road on the other side of the tractor there is a tight bend, i approached with a clear view but the other side its a totally different story ie where the lady driving came from.

There was nothing the far side to warn her either because a few minutes later she was surrounded by the livestock.
    If she wants to transport her children as safely as possible, the most effective measures are the one she has control over; i.e. her speed, concentration, skill level, car condition.

I wasnt in the car but could hear it coming for a while and she was driving to the conditions, when i said normal i mean a safe speed for the tight and twisty road, nobody in their right mind would be anywhere near normal speed on this road.
    Put it this way i know this road very well as im local, i would not bring my road bike down it, i was on a MTB.

..Exactly how am i dressing it up?...
    Because you are claiming that warning signs are required for a vehicle which is not moving on a narrow road. A non-moving vehicle is a lot less dangerous than a moving vehicle. If you expect warning signs to be erected for non-moving vehicles, what on earth do you expect for moving vehicles? An advance flagman?

If the motorist in the car had to brake harshly when encountering a stopped vehicle, how would she have managed if she had encountered the tractor coming towards her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Much and all as I wish I had a horror story about cattle to tell, I'm reduced to a dully recitation of how my bike ride was....

Stayed at Lough Inagh (great hotel) Friday, did the Tour de Conn 80k route with Mrs Brownian on the Saturday. Lovely as always. No rain to speak of; tailwind most of the way, a few new roadworks between Letterfrack and Clifden. Says a lot about that particular route that the 'main climbs' (two climbs between L-Frack and Clifden) add up to 160m of ascent.

Sunday short spin up from Lough Inagh to the Stop and Pray Church, left down Lough Fee and Lough Muck (beautiful - one of the nicest roads in Connemara, IMHO), left along Lettergesh and into Tully Cross (more beauty - what a view of the sea), then bumpy stuff into Letterfrack, and (ho hum) the same couple of rises into Clifden. Quick coffee at the petrol station (met a few lads from Moycullen - some pretty bikes!), then the bog road to Toombeola, instead of the coast road. That bog road is just stupendous - no cars, decent surface, almost flat, and great views of the Bens and Turks. Tailwind all the way. Ducked down into Roundtone, crepe and home made ice cream at the open air market. Met the boss, went for a walk on the tombolo between Gurteen Bay and Dog's Bay, and hit the high road for Dublin.

Gotta love Connemara for great scenery without (serious, mandatory) hills.

Because you are claiming that warning signs are required for a vehicle which is not moving on a narrow road. A non-moving vehicle is a lot less dangerous than a moving vehicle. If you expect warning signs to be erected for non-moving vehicles, what on earth do you expect for moving vehicles? An advance flagman?

If the motorist in the car had to brake harshly when encountering a stopped vehicle, how would she have managed if she had encountered the tractor coming towards her?

What a load of nitpicking.
    Your beef [pardon the pun] is hilarious.
    Im only relaying the law i didnt make the rules.

The signs are for animals ,road blocking,muck and dung,its not just a case of "stopped vehicle" as you put it.
    Your just nitpicking for sake of argument.

Here read for yourself, if this is not the case then i stand corrected.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-are-the-rules-of-the-road-when-moving-cattle/

If you knew this road and where this tractor is across the road in relation to the bend just before it you would agree its dangerous, next time ill record both sides for you :) again i fail to se your issue with this.

Took a spin around Kilcock & Summerhill earlier. Felt myself knackered within minutes of leaving the house. My left calf muscle was throwing the occasional twinge but I persevered.

I've lost count on the number of stupid overtakes, generally when the cars were travelling at speed.
    Large rigid body truck attempts an overtake on the L6228 approaching the roundabout on the R158 (Kilcock-Summerhill Rd). I was able to see an oncoming truck stopping and blocking the road ahead. The overtaking truck only pulled in behind me a few metres ahead of the stopped truck. Completely forseeable and pointless.
    I have the videos on file now but I just can't motivate myself to reporting them.

What made my day though was a fella in a Toyota Landcruiser pulling a trailer on the Summehill-Dunboyne road along a stretch with some bends. I heard him approach but kept my line. He pulled over to overtake and then after a few seconds decided against it. He kept back maybe 50m and eventually when a straight stretch opened he attempted the move again. As he passed, he shouted out the passenger window "Sorry about that" and gave a bit of a wave. Unexpected and courteous.

Treated myself to a lovely coffee from Sineads in Leixlip afterwards.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4033946716

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Treated myself to a lovely coffee from Sineads in Leixlip afterwards.

On club spins we rarely stop in Leixlip so it's good to know there is somewhere doing good coffee there. Elsewhere, we are increasingly stopping at Spars and Centras at filling stations and I'm getting very tired of average coffees and fat saturated muffins. I know getting out at all on a group spin at present is a blessing but I really miss "proper" coffee stops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement