Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

Unfortunately my experience tells me that he is not an entirely rare creature, I probably will fall into a club down the road, safe in the knowledge that I’m going to have to ignore one or two of these types.

It can be very intimidating and there are lads (and ladies) out there who think they are very important because they have expensive bikes and know all the lingo. Find a gang or group that you get on with and start learning how to ride with others around you and you'll be grand. Mostly, have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Our club spin at the weekend was (almost) the Lap de Gap route, big gang of us made the trip. Tough day out but survived it. Felt good on Sunday morning so went out again for a 60K spin, not too hilly or fast. Feeling very tired today so did a proper recovery spin, so slow I almost took the bike for a walk, never above 100W for an hour, feeling the benefit of it already. Always underestimated the good they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It can be very intimidating and there are lads (and ladies) out there who think they are very important because they have expensive bikes and know all the lingo. Find a gang or group that you get on with and start learning how to ride with others around you and you'll be grand. Mostly, have fun!

I’ve yet to be intimidated by an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Approximately 105k - Buncrana to Glenveah National Park and back (back via Rathmullan ferry). Stunning part of the world where Game of Thrones could be just documentary. Very lumpy though. I will never again moan about Naul /Bettystown after going thru Letterkenny today (Newline road, Glencar road etc). Again on the plus side the weather was lovely. Bright, warm, sunny. Glenveah extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

Loose chippings on Priests Leap ...

Ok finally did PL today as it was on my bucket list ... the weather was fab today

Staying in Ballyvourney and cycled over the Croom to that loop of the Borlin valley and including PL . The scenery in the BV is just stunning and a nice gentle climb at least form my direction , practically no traffic . The descent was grand as well . Only one water bottle and used up before tackling PL 🥵🥵.. what a fooker of a climb and loose chippings at the start where the farm houses are .. really struggled on the chippings with a tractor 🚜 at close quarters so pulled in just before the end of the houses , then on up JC all mighty !! anyway on one of the really steep sections I ran out of gears and overshifted in no mans lands ... happy enough to stop and put the chain back on and wipe my stinging eyes 😭😭 then had to freewheel back down to a flatter section (8%) !!! to get going again .. made it to the top and had to stop in Kilgarvan ,MHR country for water 😄 and eventually back to Ballyvourney

PL makes Cunard seem easy .....,

Did the loop from that Kerry Cycling book btw but did the clockwise direction

https://strava.app.link/lwUxLCNGh8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Today was an 85km loop around Waterford taking in Passage, Dunmore, Tramore, and a decent ways down the coast road towards Stradbally. Roads were surprisingly quiet.

Still relatively new to this road cycling business but definitely enjoying every second of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^The Southeast is very popular here, as I cycled around the Hook Peninsula loop only yesterday! I cycled out from Waterford to the ferry at Passage East. At only 3 euro for a return cycling journey, it's a great incentive to get out that way as an alternative to the Copper Coast.

I had planned an easy spin in the small ring, but the day turned out to be slighty more taxing giving the undulating nature of the route and the very heavy surface all the way round. Still, a nice scenic area that was popular with many given the numbers that were refused entry to the grounds of Hook Lighthouse — they were strictly enforcing a crowd limit and so they should.

Loftus Hall is quite imposing from the driveway up to the house. Dollar Bay is a pretty cove that's 'blink and you'd miss it' hidden from the road south to Hook Head. Tintern Abbey is an impressive looking former Cistercian Abbey whose wonderful grounds are sadly not very sympathetic to a road cyclist — I nearly came a cropper pedaling into the carpark. A wider tyre shod bicycle and MTB shoes would allow someone to explore more of the grounds and a nearby walled garden.

Anyhow, the ferry was calling by this point, so I cracked on for home and a MacDonalds back in Waterford. A pleasant day out with plenty of people making the most of the sunshine. Only 90 odd km but felt like more.

85k @ 28.5kph with 900 climbing. Beautiful weather here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

velo.2010 wrote: »
    ^^^The Southeast is very popular here, as I cycled around the Hook Peninsula loop only yesterday! I cycled out from Waterford to the ferry at Passage East. At only 3 euro for a return cycling journey, it's a great incentive to get out that way as an alternative to the Copper Coast.

I

That's a nice spin to be sure. I'm due another loop around there with a mate who's from that neck of the woods so knows all the roads like the back of his hand. Last time I did it was a sportif in the middle of the hot weather this time 2 years ago. Almost ended up with heatstroke - temp coming of the road was in the high 40s apparently :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glasnevin to kippure and back via glencullen. very humid out, but i got caught in the most gloriously refreshing shower of rain in terenure on the way home.
    73km, 1250m of up, 22km/h average.
    that's roughly a third of the climbing from the mini evil. the thoughts of going out and doing that twice again...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tintern Abbey is an impressive looking former Cistercian Abbey whose wonderful grounds are sadly not very sympathetic to a road cyclist — I nearly came a cropper pedaling into the carpark. A wider tyre shod bicycle and MTB shoes would allow someone to explore more of the grounds and a nearby walled garden.

The grounds of Tintern abbey are fun to explore, I used to go through them regularly on the CX bike. If you're coming from the direction of Hook head, this is the best way to get into the grounds. The small coast road by Saltmills is also very scenic cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

My first 100k today very happy as the last 50 k the conditions were terrible, scary crosswinds , headwinds and pounding rain .

https://strava.app.link/BUkgEyy2n8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

Family spin on the scenic end of the Waterford Greenway. We did dungarven to kilmicheal? About half way or so anyways.

Dug the 20 year old Kona out and fitted racks so I could carry the grub and coats etc.

Hired the missus an ebike which she loved, never seen her grin so much especially at the end of a spin. Looks like I'll be getting her one soon, she loved it.

It's a very flat route and perfect for cycling families but I was surprised at the number of old lads in lycra trying to speed down the route as it's too full to get a decent speed up for any length of time. Would frustrate me no end.

We got drowned at the start of the return but the warmth of the day had dried us up when we got back to dungarven.

Nice little spot and ace to see so many out, that tunnel gets bloody cold though.

IMG-20200724-135942380-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200724-152825413.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saccades wrote: »
    We did dungarven to kilmicheal? About half way or so anyways.
    kilmacthomas?

kilmacthomas?

That's it! I'm terrible with names, they just don't stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anyone know what club has the 2019 Deceunick Quickstep looking kit? Saw a number of groups with said jersey converging in Maynooth today.

After yesterday's soft 46km I took the eldest on her first full loop of ballinstoe.

She's a savage on the descents (40km at one point) and on the wurthers originals.

The lazy year has taken it's toll but it's great to see that she still loves the MTB and is still determined to race.

Mixed emotions on the new expressway as I loved the old one. Need to do it as speed but it looks fast fun. Reckon it's easier to have an off and with the higher speeds will probably hurt.

Oh, it was ace to be back on disc brakes, I'd forgotten how rubbish rim brakes are until trying to stop yesterday in the rain with full panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Canals were a big part of todays spin, met my mate who had come over from Monasterevin in Rathangan and we headed up the Barrowline to Robertstown and from there on through Sallins as far north as Ponsonby bridge on the main line of the Grand Canal where we took to the road for Straffan, Barberstown X roads and Maynooth, from there we dropped down onto the Royal canal and across to Kilcock for some lovely grub in the Black Forest Cafe in Kilcock.

Enfield was where we left the Royal to head through the town out to JTB and on cross country to the Grand again at Ticknevin from where it was a short spin to the old briquette factory at Lullymore. We crossed the canal and took the bog road across to the IPCC at Lullymore and up the road from there to Glenaree bridge, back on to the Barrowline and home again to Rathangan.

Just over 100km with about 66km off road at 23km/hr, a lovely day out but tough on the legs. Both of us on CX bikes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3810815072/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

Lovely looking spin. Considering I'm in Rathangan myself, I might give it a go one of the days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did 31km from Westport to Newport and back with my wife, 8 year old and 5 year old. The green was is class. Would love to cycle the whole thing.

Really impressed with my 5 year old. Only has her first proper bike 3 weeks. She also climbed Croagh Patrick on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Actually a quick question, that is off topic.

Does anyone know how I could export nilhg's route from Strava to my Garmin? Save me having to remap it manually

cletus wrote: »
    Actually a quick question, that is off topic.

Does anyone know how I could export nilhg's route from Strava to my Garmin? Save me having to remap it manually

I think that depends on whether you have a strava account and even if you have whether you are a subscriber or not.

Anyway, the TCX should be at the link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cug63ljr3ry5jml/canals%202.tcx?dl=0

Fair play to you nilhg, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

godtabh wrote: »
    She also climbed Croagh Patrick on Thursday.

:eek:

I struggled up there over Christmas - didn't enjoy a moment of it. Fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

20200720-113305.jpg

Was down in Kerry for the last week, staying on the Dingle peninsula. I was blessed with the weather and got in a few cycles, including the Conor Pass and Slea Head route. On previous visits I had cycled the steep hill from Castlemaine harbour side to Camp. This time I did it in the opposite direction, just to see if I could. There's a section of a couple of hundred meters that was 24% on my Garmin. I had to lean forward to stop the front wheel lifting, but I made it!

cletus wrote: »
    Fair play to you nilhg, much appreciated

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lovely day for it, so went for a spin from West Donegal to Letterkenny with the benefit of a tailwind the whole way out. Was able to keep the power down and had PR's all over the place. Mental traffic though, for mountain roads in rural donegal - loads out and about.
    Could not be arsed going back into a headwind, so got a lift back in. Result!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3815381407

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Needed to get out this morning so took a short spin from Leixlip around Newcastle and Ardclough.
    Horrible SW wind but I managed 60km/h coming down a wet Athgoe Hill which was nice. The car behind me going down beeped two short beeps and gave a thumbs up as he eventually passed me.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2xqd7MIlr8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I need to drink more. Cramped up wretchedly in the last few km of the club spin today. We started off grand but then had a dirty drizzle turning to proper rain to being absolutely pissed on for about half an hour. The rain tricked me into thinking I was fine for fluids. A small coffee was deemed sufficient when we stopped for a break. The day cleared up nicely after that for the last 25 or 30 km home.
    Two quads started locking up badly and I dropped off the back with about 5km to go and pedalled gingerly back home, only then realising I had over 100km done @32kph and less than half a bidon drank. Not too clever.
    Longwood - Kilbeggan - Mullingar - Longwood
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3814437992

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone know what club has the 2019 Deceunick Quickstep looking kit? Saw a number of groups with said jersey converging in Maynooth today.

Sounds like Dunboyne CC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement