Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Was away in Wexford for the weekend, got out for a 65km spin just before the rain.
    Started in Kilmuckridge, onto Courtown, Gorey, Camolin, Ferns, then I made a severe misjudgement in planning, instead of following thevn11, I decided yo cut straight back yo Kilmuckridge - boy was that a mistake, the roads were in such a sh1t state, it was almost like riding on cobbles, not so bad on uphill, but every downhill when I should be getting a break, I had to grip on the brakes and brace against the rattles.
    Was fierce clammy out, but only a little wind.

Tough, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, until I was locked out in the garden for about 20 mins in the rain.

https://strava.app.link/ZjOnR25218

You should have from Ferns headed to the Harrow, Boolavogue and out at Ballyedmund and across main road to Kilmuckridge. A much better road even if draggy than the one you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'll try to post a better pic when I'm out again.
    I'm not in Ireland anymore and bought it in Slovakia but so far very impressed, never cycled a road bike before and it's a delight zipping along.

That's beautiful. Please tell me the tan walls are a communist classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

secman wrote: »
    You should have from Ferns headed to the Harrow, Boolavogue and out at Ballyedmund and across main road to Kilmuckridge. A much better road even if draggy than the one you took.

I know, I only took into account distance, I'd have been better addingn10k on for the comfort.
    Last time I cycled that direction, I took the main roads - much more pleasant.
    I was thinking with my Dublin head, forgetting completely about crappy bohreens I might encounter.

I'm back down in 3 weeks, I'll take better care of plotting my route.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

a148pro wrote: »
    :D I don't think the tyres are that old.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out today for a spin around Kilteel and Rathmore but that was a horrible wind :(
    In the end I knocked about 30km off my route. Had planned on trying a route that would have kept me within the Kildare border bringing me out around Glending woods but I decided to call it a day. With a club spin tomorrow morning, I wanted to make sure my legs weren't even more knackered than they have been recently.
    One close pass courtesy of a garda out on patrol :rolleyes:

https://strava.app.link/IpSj1knH88

• Advertisement

Did approx 60k @ 26.5kph with a friend who is relatively new to cycling. Very windy and caught in one heavy shower but warm and pleasant for the most part. As I was at my leisure I decided to practice getting out of the saddle on climbs, gearing higher and spinning instead of grinding, which was the norm for me. I think I'll get out of my reliance on the big ring. I've felt a few twinges in my knees and I actually enjoyed getting out of the saddle. It will be interesting to see how my times on climbs stack up when I go for my next spin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out around N. Kildare this morning and took in 65kms. Thr weather was grand, different from the forecasted rain (there were a few misty spots but nothing worth worrying about).
    On my way home I passed a fella who had just dumped some rubbish outside the grounds of Carton House. He denied it was his but I have him on camera so am looking forwards to giving it to Kildare Co Co. His van was for a cleaning business of which he seems to be the person in charge :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Might be worth giving it to carton house too? They won't be impressed with that behaviour and if they contact the council with the evidence I suspect it will be taken more seriously than a private individual doing so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What a gowl. I counted 4 mattresses dumped around Kilbride/tyrellstown/coolquay back roads yesterday. I hate these people

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weepsie wrote: »
    What a gowl. I counted 4 mattresses dumped around Kilbride/tyrellstown/coolquay back roads yesterday. I hate these people

A lot of its the governments fault. Not the industrial stuff but the rest.

Waste should be municipal and mandatory. That way you don't create a monetary incentive to fly tip. Enforcement will never be practical. Right now Dublin is dumping in Wicklow/Meath and those CCs are footing the bill.

Anyways this is cycling not politics.

• Advertisement

Nah, personal responsibility here. This isn't typical household waste. It costs nothing to recycle electronics, people are still dumping washing machines and old TVs on the side of the road.

Thankfully today's cycle was litter free. Clontarf path and Howth were pleasant without being overrun.

Passed a group of 4 lads from Philippines (according to their kit) in Sutton. They were coming into the carpark at the summit as I was leaving a little while later. One of them was cursing blind going up the hill which gave me a chuckle. I've been that person before.

Tried the new cycle path in baldoyle. Probably slows me down, but beats having to check the shoulder constantly and near passes. Followed coast, went to ballyboughal and picked up Anzac biscuits from the cafe and headed for home via airport.

75km at 25kmph . Had bigger plans but decided to put a hot wash on this morning and had to wait for that to be done. Weather windows need for drying clothes as much as cycling

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/DXtUHbLDb9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Years ago, there was a Russian team in The Rás, and they brought a moxy load of tubular tyres with them to trade. Lads were pulling them out of attics for years afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Our spin this morning took in the road from Kentstown to Duleek. Wind was from a lovely direction, it was deadly, doing 47-48 kpm at 90rpm. for what seemed like ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out towards maynooth and back. going great guns for the first 30 or 45 mins, and then the legs just ran out of steam. well, my average speed overall was fine (29km/h) but i struggled through the second half.

Weepsie wrote: »

Passed a group of 4 lads from Philippines (according to their kit) in Sutton. They were coming into the carpark at the summit as I was leaving a little while later. One of them was cursing blind going up the hill which gave me a chuckle. I've been that person before.

Only 4? Theres usually few more of them if it's the same group I've met a few times.

This them ? Got to love the camera mans jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

out towards maynooth and back. going great guns for the first 30 or 45 mins, and then the legs just ran out of steam. well, my average speed overall was fine (29km/h) but i struggled through the second half.

You don't ride with small clip-on bars by any chance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cycled home from the sister in-laws place near Mount Leinster this morning, climb up to the Nine Stones with a bit of a hangover was not good and blowy enough on the descent. Back home via Bunclody, Clonegal, Shillelagh, Tinahely, Aughrim, Rathdrum, Laragh and the backroads above Roundwood to Enniskerry for 123k with 1.7k of up. Going grand for the first 80k but had forgotten what an evil little climb that backroad from Laragh is.

My legs are running out of steam very early lately.

I think I tend to hit peak fitness in may/June as I'm always aiming for a charity cycle with friends the and then just kind of spend the rest of the year milling about.

But also, I've been cycling my new touring tank a lot lately. It's quite heavy, and takes a bit to get it going and takes a bit out the legs. Now I could spin Away on it too handily enough considering the low gearing I have, but I keep getting caught in the rain and that makes me move it

As to the Philippines lads, that was the jersey one had. 2 had another one. Twas definitely just the 4 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

ED E wrote: »

Waste should be municipal and mandatory. That way you don't create a monetary incentive to fly tip. Enforcement will never be practical. Right now Dublin is dumping in Wicklow/Meath and those CCs are footing the bill.

I’m sorry but, no this is absolutely NOT the government’s fault. If someone does this it’s their fault nobody else’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

smacl wrote: »
    Going grand for the first 80k but had forgotten what an evil little climb that backroad from Laragh is.

Only discovered it on the Mini-Evil and rate it far better than going on the main road through Annamoe and Roundwood. So far I've only done it north to south and, while there's a bit of a kick near Lough Dan, it's well worth it to avoid the traffic especially at the weekend. Looking at the profile, I can see how going the other direction, especially towards the end of a long spin, might be a tougher choice.

MTexzWM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went out the club spin today. Some genius decided that we should head straight into the breeze on arguably the most exposed stretch of road in North Kildare/Offaly or as one lad called it, Wuhan. It was a pure fkng grind the whole way from Enfield to Edenderry and then even worse across Mount Lucas and into Daingean. We always seem to take that road when it's either freezing or a dirty headwind.
    I managed to get myself in between 2 skinny A2s in the rotation and suffered like a dog trying to keep pace with one and then getting no shelter behind the other little whippet when he'd roll over ahead of me. I might as well have been behind a wasp. I think every time I got to the front my HR went up high enough to shorten my lifespan. Never been so happy to get to the coffee stop.
    I made sure I got in between two bigger lads for the road across from Daingean through Tyrrellspass and into Mullingar. Didn't have the headwind to compete with there so it wasn't too bad and finally we got the tailwind for the last 30km from there to Kinnegad and home to Longwood. I was well drained at the end and in no hurry to do any extra kms to round up to nice even figures.
    117km @33.8 kmh so it's no wonder I was knackered. The Garmin said I'd need about a week to recover :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3953876133

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »

Most recycling centres have mattress days over the year so its free bar holding it. As for monetary incentive, even if you don't use the above, most dumps will take it as part of a car load for under 30euro, meaning just 30euro reduces it to no risk of a fine, to blame government seems lazy. Just my opinion.

Just on the dumping, today's cycle spotted f loads of car wheels up around the feather beds, anyone else see those? Don't think I saw them before. Initially thought first one must have been from a crash or carelessly discarded, but then saw around 8 in total. Must have been dumped from a van. Cretins.

They really should use drones for that stretch and amend law so mandatory forfeiture of any vehicle involved in dumping. Would pay for the drones / wages of enforcement quick enough I'd say.

In better news managed 2k vertical for first time, in only 87k spin, mostly fire roads and trails. 2k in 87k is pretty stark is it? Maybe mountain bikers hit those kind of numbers. Anything close to that before has been well over 100k, laragh return ex city centre is my touchstone, maybe 1600m vertical over 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just on the dumping, today's cycle spotted f loads of car wheels up around the feather beds, anyone else see those? Don't think I saw them before. Initially thought first one must have been from a crash or carelessly discarded, but then saw around 8 in total. Must have been dumped from a van. Cretins.

They really should use drones for that stretch and amend law so mandatory forfeiture of any vehicle involved in dumping. Would pay for the drones / wages of enforcement quick enough I'd say.

In better news managed 2k vertical for first time, in only 87k spin, mostly fire roads and trails. 2k in 87k is pretty stark is it? Maybe mountain bikers hit those kind of numbers. Anything close to that before has been well over 100k, laragh return ex city centre is my touchstone, maybe 1600m vertical over 100k.

I generally consider anything above a 1% average at the end of a ride to have constituted a hilly ride. Based on my ability and experience no doubt but by that measure, 2K in 87K is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Re the filipino lads, they are a cycling club from naas iirc, i met them at a reservoir dog a few years ago, nice fellas.

Went out today with intentions of going up kippure, bit the wind around lough bray was terrible so just did a loop right at sally gap and back to dublin via the military range. Descending from sally gap on that side into a strong headwind is mad, once the gradient eased i was nearly at a stop

me too - 10m climbing average per km is what i'd usually use to distinguish a flat ride from a hilly one. 15m per km is very hilly, 20m is mountainous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Sat:
    Missed the club spin, had family and grand kids down for a few days...hard work :) went out solo , Ballyedmund, oulart, Enniscorthy into a strong headwind, but from Enniscorthy back to Gorey a nice tail wind. 52 km avg 30.1 kph followed by a 14km roll home avg 28 kph
    Sunday: only brough 1 bottle and no food... blaming the visitors :) so decided to skip the spin with the racers, headed out with the tour group Gorey to Arklow, Brittas bay, Jack Whites and back to Arklow, coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, they headed to Gorey, i decided to do a bit more, headed to Courtown, Ballygarrett, Killenagh, Ballycanew and back to Gorey. 89km avg 29.1 kph almost 700 meters.

I generally consider anything above a 1% average at the end of a ride to have constituted a hilly ride. Based on my ability and experience no doubt but by that measure, 2K in 87K is impressive.

I'll take that to the bank. I'm (genuinely) always getting passed out by aul lads on hybrids on the way to the yellow house so this is my moment in the sun.

Borderline hallucinating on way back due to lack of water, may have imagined car wheels. Think I'm going to buy iodine tablets and stash a few in the saddle bag, second time i've been stuck cycling along beside running water while parched, it's torture. Glencree was closed and there's nothing between powerscourt and home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Only discovered it on the Mini-Evil and rate it far better than going on the main road through Annamoe and Roundwood. So far I've only done it north to south and, while there's a bit of a kick near Lough Dan, it's well worth it to avoid the traffic especially at the weekend. Looking at the profile, I can see how going the other direction, especially towards the end of a long spin, might be a tougher choice.

Agreed, while it's a tough enough haul coming from Laragh, it is pretty much traffic free and a very sheltered route. I use it on days where I want the climb but don't fancy the cross winds going over the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Went out the club spin today. Some genius decided that we should head straight into the breeze on arguably the most exposed stretch of road in North Kildare/Offaly or as one lad called it, Wuhan. It was a pure fkng grind the whole way from Enfield to Edenderry and then even worse across Mount Lucas and into Daingean. We always seem to take that road when it's either freezing or a dirty headwind.
    I managed to get myself in between 2 skinny A2s in the rotation and suffered like a dog trying to keep pace with one and then getting no shelter behind the other little whippet when he'd roll over ahead of me. I might as well have been behind a wasp. I think every time I got to the front my HR went up high enough to shorten my lifespan. Never been so happy to get to the coffee stop.
    I made sure I got in between two bigger lads for the road across from Daingean through Tyrrellspass and into Mullingar. Didn't have the headwind to compete with there so it wasn't too bad and finally we got the tailwind for the last 30km from there to Kinnegad and home to Longwood. I was well drained at the end and in no hurry to do any extra kms to round up to nice even figures.
    117km @33.8 kmh so it's no wonder I was knackered. The Garmin said I'd need about a week to recover :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3953876133

Thats my home ground lol. Its an absolute dog of an exposed road with a continuous drag from say JTB to the Roundabout in Carbury. P.S its only Wuhan when you cross the boyne into edenderry... 5 cases in Carbury and 78 in Edenderry in last 3 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement