Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

terminator 2

• 06-09-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭

i'm a very simple type of guy
    I don't get really artsy movies that intelligent people love, like that swedish director with death and chess
    bill and ted's adventure 2
    but I have to say I love this, I think it's a classic and survives the test of time
    Cameron's a genius

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

2 was the best of the lot of them I thought. Can't beat 90s action films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

T2 was and is an incredible movie. It must be up there with the best sequels ever made.

And the outro tune is glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's great, it was great and it'll always be great........BUT, its surprising to see how the first one has weathered the passing of time better IMO.

At least on the rewatches of 1, 2, and, yes, 3 (for that ending) in the last couple years.

Not sure its solely down to an overly simplistic explanation of the sequel's dalliance in early CGI either.
    Its just f**king tight, and getting tighter over the years and carries its 80s halo as well as any of the greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Best. Film. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Cameron did to himself what he had done to Ridley Scott when he made Aliens. The first in both cases was a film of suspense really. Really atmospheric, a feeling of inevitable doom. You couldn't take your eyes off those films.

Then the sequel. He made the lead woman an action hero. Ripley was tough in the first, but she wasn't an action hero. He threw in some cheesy lines. And they were still extremely suspenseful, but also it was one incredible action sequence after another.

All four are absolute classics. I can't pick which I prefer from them. There are absolute classic lines in the sequels in particular. "They mostly come at night... mostly." or "he'll live." But there's just so much to love about them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

T1 infinitely superior IMHO. A much better blend of sci-fi, plot, action, originality. T2 far too focused on CGI and mindless blowing up of things. In movies, CGI should always assist the narrative, not overwhelm it or become the dominant feature of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

MfMan wrote: »
    T2 far too focused on CGI and mindless blowing up of things.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

T2 was and is an incredible movie. It must be up there with the best sequels ever made.

The outro is excellent but the ending of T1 is also excellent. The kid taking Sarah's photo in the petrol station being the picture that Reese loses when the terminators attack the bunker in the future is just brilliant.

The scene in the car park where Reese explains to Sarah about the future and terminators is brilliant. Dark Fate ****s on this though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its simply a briliant film .

What happened to Cameron after True Lies as a filmaker ?
    He made Titanic which on a technical level is a well made film but it's not a good film.
    Then he seemed to become obsessed with the technical side of filmaking and has made one film in 23 years, Avatar.
    A terrible waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Saw it in the Cinema a year ago and i was blown away by how well it holds up today despite being nearly 30 years old now. It is a classic imo.

I don't think its fair to compare it to the first one, which was a visionary game changer for the time, filmed on a a pretty low budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Saw it in the Cinema a year ago and i was blown away by how well it holds up today despite being nearly 30 years old now. It is a classic imo.

I don't think its fair to compare it to the first one, which was a visionary game changer for the time, filmed on a a pretty low budget.

It was released in 1991 - god god it was amazing for that time.

You have to admire the sheer persistence of that cop chasing.
    He may have been the enemy but you have to admire the single mindedness.
    They dont build terminators like that anymore, really gave it his all :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LOL. Was the OP drunk?

I guess the mention of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is a nod towards Death, who was modelled on Ingmar Bergman's film ("swedish director with death and chess"). Even knowing that I still read the OP as if they're saying "bill and ted's adventure 2" is an artsy film that "intelligent people love" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

pixelburp wrote: »
    LOL. Was the OP drunk?

I guess the mention of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is a nod towards Death, who was modelled on Ingmar Bergman's film ("swedish director with death and chess"). Even knowing that I still read the OP as if they're saying "bill and ted's adventure 2" is an artsy film that "intelligent people love" :D

as a matter of fact yes. What really annoys me is I got the name of the movie wrong. It's been driving me nuts for days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2 was the best of the lot of them I thought. Can't beat 90s action films.

T2 directors cut is the best sequel ever made IMO. It’s a shame they released the original version in the first place, even if it was very good.

I see every Terminator (from T3) film in its first week of release in the cinema, in the vain hope something like T2 will come again. It never has.

Before anyone says it, the Godfather 2 wasn’t a sequel it was part 2. Aliens is close though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What happened to Cameron after True Lies as a filmaker ?
    He made Titanic which on a technical level is a well made film but it's not a good film.
    Then he seemed to become obsessed with the technical side of filmaking and has made one film in 23 years, Avatar.
    A terrible waste of talent.
    Yeah it's a real shame he more or less gave up directing for so many years. I happen to love Titanic and Avatar but it's a slim return for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I watch this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It's in my all time top 3 films ever.
    Favourite scenes....
    "Get down" and the bike chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I watch this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It's in my all time top 3 films ever.
    Favourite scenes....
    "Get down" and the bike chase.

It's the type of film you just can't turn off. Whatever scene you're on is brilliant and you have to watch it to the end. Then once that's over you know what's coming next so you have to watch that too. Then the end credits start.

Some of my favourite scenes
    In the mall
    The motor bike chase
    Getting mom out of the institution
    Blowing up skynet
    The liquid nitrogen chase
    The furnace at the end

And I'm pretty sure I love all the other bits too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always find it funny how the T1000 was cutting edge effects then a couple years later we have similar effects in a kids tv series, The Secret World of Alex Mack.

But it is a great film. The first 2 are really memorable but I can barely remember any of the ones that came after. Only saw them once each. Best thing in the franchise after T2 was Sarah Connor Chronicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I always find it funny how the T1000 was cutting edge effects then a couple years later we have similar effects in a kids tv series, The Secret World of Alex Mack.

But it is a great film. The first 2 are really memorable but I can barely remember any of the ones that came after. Only saw them once each. Best thing in the franchise after T2 was Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Third one was the lady terminator. Decent enough if I remember correctly. Nive eye-candy anyway.
    4th one was the one with Christian Bale. Rubbish
    5th one had the Game of Thrones lady. Got way to deep into the software, Gensies, Skynet, time travel stuff. Wasn't much good. But I do like Emilia Clarke. So giving it a pass.
    6th one is the one last year. Entertaining enough. But same old story. Going back in time to kill someone. Type of film you'd watch, but would just be an anti-climax cause nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't think many action films are timeless but T2 is certainly one of them, Easily my favorite film growing up. I was probably 9 when I watched it so ratings aside I was probably the perfect age for it too and to this day is the only film I remember crying for...... I haven't watched it in years so I think that is the movie this weekend sorted

• Advertisement

Robert Patrick was phenomenally cast as the T1000

He was almost as terrifying as Arnie was as the T800 in the original Terminator movie.

ShamefulFrequentDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Third one was the lady terminator. Decent enough if I remember correctly. Nive eye-candy anyway.
    4th one was the one with Christian Bale. Rubbish
    5th one had the Game of Thrones lady. Got way to deep into the software, Gensies, Skynet, time travel stuff. Wasn't much good. But I do like Emilia Clarke. So giving it a pass.
    6th one is the one last year. Entertaining enough. But same old story. Going back in time to kill someone. Type of film you'd watch, but would just be an anti-climax cause nothing new.

Oh I remember them. Just not very memorable. Like if I saw an image or clip from the first 2, I'd likely be able to identify it. But with the others, I could probably watch them again and not have a clue what's going to happen.
    Except for the Emilia Clarke one where they spoiled the big twist in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

blue note wrote: »
    It's the type of film you just can't turn off. Whatever scene you're on is brilliant and you have to watch it to the end. Then once that's over you know what's coming next so you have to watch that too. Then the end credits start.

Some of my favourite scenes
    In the mall
    The motor bike chase
    Getting mom out of the institution
    Blowing up skynet
    The liquid nitrogen chase
    The furnace at the end

And I'm pretty sure I love all the other bits too.

There is great suspense in all of those scenes .
    The stakes are high, the tone is deadly serious and you are on the edge of your seat with tension.

You rarely get films like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lal19

Robert Patrick was just perfect for the role
    Apparently he gave Cameron a certain look down the camera when he screen tested for the film and Cameron knew he found the right man to play the T-1000
    During the bike scene he actually caught up with John Connor on the bike On several occasions and Cameron had to tell him to slow down! 😂
    Patrick is absolutely brilliant in the role and I had nightmares during my childhood such was his performance.
    It’s still stands the test of time and is simply up there with been one of my favourite films of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Great film and the effects work better than the completely over the top cgi nonsense out today. Funny enough I watched original jurassic Park recently and it is visually better than the recent sequels. Lord of the rings trilogy was first time I noticed this. First film had actors in costumes and make up as orcs and guess what, they looked and moved properly like living things do. Later films had computer generated nonsense.
    I feel T2 is like this too, even if T1000 does have special effects it's not over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Except for the Emilia Clarke one where they spoiled the big twist in the trailer.

An absolutely baffling decision, even for Hollywood!

Cameron sold 50% of the rights to Terminator to his wife for a dollar in 1984 before he directed the first one, they divorced in 89.
    I imagine he thinks about that from time to time.

Robert Patrick was phenomenally cast as the T1000

He was almost as terrifying as Arnie was as the T800 in the original Terminator movie.

I thought he was just as terrifying as Johnny Cash’s aul lad in Walk the Line.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hey, what's wrong with Wolfie? I can hear him barking.
    Wolfie's fine, honey, Wolfie's just fine.
    Your foster parents are dead.

Have not watched the entire movie in years, must pay it a revisit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

gimli2112 wrote: »
    i'm a very simple type of guy
    I don't get really artsy movies that intelligent people love, like that swedish director with death and chess
    bill and ted's adventure 2
    but I have to say I love this, I think it's a classic and survives the test of time
    Cameron's a genius

Such magnificent poetry

tenor.gif?itemid=14075666

Oh I remember them. Just not very memorable. Like if I saw an image or clip from the first 2, I'd likely be able to identify it. But with the others, I could probably watch them again and not have a clue what's going to happen.

I don't watch trailers. It got spoiled for me by the poster on my way in to watch Genisys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lal19

Funny enough it’s on ITV 4 right now

I don't watch trailers. It got spoiled for me by the poster on my way in to watch Genisys.

It's one of the reasons I don't watch trailers for things I plan to see, unless it's an adaptation of something I've read/played.
    Forgot they had it on the poster as well.

T2 also led to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

An absolutely smashing, bombastic, rollercoaster of an action movie. Its utterly brilliant from start to finish. It also makes great meme opportunities.

118216070_10223450921164245_4262495172081163651_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=FpD7Y4c_95UAX-yKpX3&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=3152e8ec52a6a88a750fd8dc8d37ad8b&oe=5F7CC69B

Also, the foster mother above also played the badass and beautiful Private Vasquez in Aliens.

tumblr_p3dvq47OWi1qi26lwo2_500.gifv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Wayne's World 2 was another great sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Also, the foster mother above also played the badass and beautiful Private Vasquez in Aliens.

Wow, I never knew Robert Patrick was so versatile :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

looks nothing like her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

anyone ever notice how john connor sounds near identical to Bart Simpson ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    anyone ever notice how john connor sounds near identical to Bart Simpson ?

Sad that he pissed his career down the drain after American History X and also end up becoming a modern day Ike Turner with women.

I remember reading a while back that when T2 was being made or a little after he was was banging one of the crew or make up artist. He was 15 she was 28.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Probably my favourite film ever and without a doubt the best sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

An absolutely smashing, bombastic, rollercoaster of an action movie. Its utterly brilliant from start to finish. It also makes great meme opportunities.

118216070_10223450921164245_4262495172081163651_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=FpD7Y4c_95UAX-yKpX3&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=3152e8ec52a6a88a750fd8dc8d37ad8b&oe=5F7CC69B

Also played the Irish mother in Titanic

https://jamescameronstitanic.fandom.com/wiki/Irish_Mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

OU812 wrote: »
    Also played the Irish mother in Titanic

https://jamescameronstitanic.fandom.com/wiki/Irish_Mother

She was fantastic in aliens. Wonder why she didn't get more roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

pah wrote: »
    She was fantastic in aliens. Wonder why she didn't get more roles?

Cameran stuck her in a few roles and she was also in the vampire flick Near Dark with two of the other Aliens cast members.

Cameran stuck her in a few roles and she was also in the vampire flick Near Dark with two of the other Aliens cast members.

I knew Paxton and Henrikson were in Near Dark, never her though. Its been years since i watched, must give it a spin some evening, great little take on vampires.

Lance Henricksen was first choice for the Terminator in 1984 but Cameron pushed for Arnie. How different all our lives could have been.

Lance Henricksen was first choice for the Terminator in 1984 but Cameron pushed for Arnie. How different all our lives could have been.

Lance Henriksen wouldn't have been a bad choice at all, but it's hard to imagine anyone outdoing Arnie.

Henriksen was excellent as Bishop from the aliens series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I believe Henricksen was Cameron's initial idea and he actually helped greenlight the movie by attending the pitch as The Terminator.

The studio then wanted Schwarzenegger to play Kyle Reese and someone like OJ Simpson or Mel Gibson to play the Terminator. Cameron hated the idea of Arnie playing Kyle Reese so went to the meeting with the sole intention of picking a fight with him so he wouldn't want the role. Cameron ended up really liking Arnie, thought he'd be perfect for the T-1000 and then had to convince him to play a bad guy with only a few lines.

Good oral history of it here.

I didn't know that about Henrickson.

He would have terrific.

I can see it being pretty much the same movie but I wonder thought what would have been the effect on the popularity of the movie and on there being a sequel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,249 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Henrickson would have also made a great T-1000. Robert Patrick was perfect, but there's something about Henrickson that I think would really suit that role too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement