Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terminator 2

• 06-09-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭

i'm a very simple type of guy
    I don't get really artsy movies that intelligent people love, like that swedish director with death and chess
    bill and ted's adventure 2
    but I have to say I love this, I think it's a classic and survives the test of time
    Cameron's a genius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

2 was the best of the lot of them I thought. Can't beat 90s action films.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

T2 was and is an incredible movie. It must be up there with the best sequels ever made.

And the outro tune is glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's great, it was great and it'll always be great........BUT, its surprising to see how the first one has weathered the passing of time better IMO.

At least on the rewatches of 1, 2, and, yes, 3 (for that ending) in the last couple years.

Not sure its solely down to an overly simplistic explanation of the sequel's dalliance in early CGI either.
    Its just f**king tight, and getting tighter over the years and carries its 80s halo as well as any of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Best. Film. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Cameron did to himself what he had done to Ridley Scott when he made Aliens. The first in both cases was a film of suspense really. Really atmospheric, a feeling of inevitable doom. You couldn't take your eyes off those films.

Then the sequel. He made the lead woman an action hero. Ripley was tough in the first, but she wasn't an action hero. He threw in some cheesy lines. And they were still extremely suspenseful, but also it was one incredible action sequence after another.

All four are absolute classics. I can't pick which I prefer from them. There are absolute classic lines in the sequels in particular. "They mostly come at night... mostly." or "he'll live." But there's just so much to love about them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

T1 infinitely superior IMHO. A much better blend of sci-fi, plot, action, originality. T2 far too focused on CGI and mindless blowing up of things. In movies, CGI should always assist the narrative, not overwhelm it or become the dominant feature of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

MfMan wrote: »
    T2 far too focused on CGI and mindless blowing up of things.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

T2 was and is an incredible movie. It must be up there with the best sequels ever made.

And the outro tune is glorious.

The outro is excellent but the ending of T1 is also excellent. The kid taking Sarah's photo in the petrol station being the picture that Reese loses when the terminators attack the bunker in the future is just brilliant.

The scene in the car park where Reese explains to Sarah about the future and terminators is brilliant. Dark Fate ****s on this though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its simply a briliant film .

What happened to Cameron after True Lies as a filmaker ?
    He made Titanic which on a technical level is a well made film but it's not a good film.
    Then he seemed to become obsessed with the technical side of filmaking and has made one film in 23 years, Avatar.
    A terrible waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Saw it in the Cinema a year ago and i was blown away by how well it holds up today despite being nearly 30 years old now. It is a classic imo.

I don't think its fair to compare it to the first one, which was a visionary game changer for the time, filmed on a a pretty low budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

Saw it in the Cinema a year ago and i was blown away by how well it holds up today despite being nearly 30 years old now. It is a classic imo.

I don't think its fair to compare it to the first one, which was a visionary game changer for the time, filmed on a a pretty low budget.

It was released in 1991 - god god it was amazing for that time.

You have to admire the sheer persistence of that cop chasing.
    He may have been the enemy but you have to admire the single mindedness.
    They dont build terminators like that anymore, really gave it his all :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LOL. Was the OP drunk?

I guess the mention of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is a nod towards Death, who was modelled on Ingmar Bergman's film ("swedish director with death and chess"). Even knowing that I still read the OP as if they're saying "bill and ted's adventure 2" is an artsy film that "intelligent people love" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

pixelburp wrote: »
    LOL. Was the OP drunk?

I guess the mention of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is a nod towards Death, who was modelled on Ingmar Bergman's film ("swedish director with death and chess"). Even knowing that I still read the OP as if they're saying "bill and ted's adventure 2" is an artsy film that "intelligent people love" :D

as a matter of fact yes. What really annoys me is I got the name of the movie wrong. It's been driving me nuts for days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2 was the best of the lot of them I thought. Can't beat 90s action films.

T2 directors cut is the best sequel ever made IMO. It’s a shame they released the original version in the first place, even if it was very good.

I see every Terminator (from T3) film in its first week of release in the cinema, in the vain hope something like T2 will come again. It never has.

Before anyone says it, the Godfather 2 wasn’t a sequel it was part 2. Aliens is close though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What happened to Cameron after True Lies as a filmaker ?
    He made Titanic which on a technical level is a well made film but it's not a good film.
    Then he seemed to become obsessed with the technical side of filmaking and has made one film in 23 years, Avatar.
    A terrible waste of talent.
    Yeah it's a real shame he more or less gave up directing for so many years. I happen to love Titanic and Avatar but it's a slim return for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I watch this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It's in my all time top 3 films ever.
    Favourite scenes....
    "Get down" and the bike chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I watch this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It's in my all time top 3 films ever.
    Favourite scenes....
    "Get down" and the bike chase.

It's the type of film you just can't turn off. Whatever scene you're on is brilliant and you have to watch it to the end. Then once that's over you know what's coming next so you have to watch that too. Then the end credits start.

Some of my favourite scenes
    In the mall
    The motor bike chase
    Getting mom out of the institution
    Blowing up skynet
    The liquid nitrogen chase
    The furnace at the end

And I'm pretty sure I love all the other bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always find it funny how the T1000 was cutting edge effects then a couple years later we have similar effects in a kids tv series, The Secret World of Alex Mack.

But it is a great film. The first 2 are really memorable but I can barely remember any of the ones that came after. Only saw them once each. Best thing in the franchise after T2 was Sarah Connor Chronicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭flasher0030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I always find it funny how the T1000 was cutting edge effects then a couple years later we have similar effects in a kids tv series, The Secret World of Alex Mack.

But it is a great film. The first 2 are really memorable but I can barely remember any of the ones that came after. Only saw them once each. Best thing in the franchise after T2 was Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Third one was the lady terminator. Decent enough if I remember correctly. Nive eye-candy anyway.
    4th one was the one with Christian Bale. Rubbish
    5th one had the Game of Thrones lady. Got way to deep into the software, Gensies, Skynet, time travel stuff. Wasn't much good. But I do like Emilia Clarke. So giving it a pass.
    6th one is the one last year. Entertaining enough. But same old story. Going back in time to kill someone. Type of film you'd watch, but would just be an anti-climax cause nothing new.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I don't think many action films are timeless but T2 is certainly one of them, Easily my favorite film growing up. I was probably 9 when I watched it so ratings aside I was probably the perfect age for it too and to this day is the only film I remember crying for...... I haven't watched it in years so I think that is the movie this weekend sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

Robert Patrick was phenomenally cast as the T1000

He was almost as terrifying as Arnie was as the T800 in the original Terminator movie.

ShamefulFrequentDotterel-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Third one was the lady terminator. Decent enough if I remember correctly. Nive eye-candy anyway.
    4th one was the one with Christian Bale. Rubbish
    5th one had the Game of Thrones lady. Got way to deep into the software, Gensies, Skynet, time travel stuff. Wasn't much good. But I do like Emilia Clarke. So giving it a pass.
    6th one is the one last year. Entertaining enough. But same old story. Going back in time to kill someone. Type of film you'd watch, but would just be an anti-climax cause nothing new.

Oh I remember them. Just not very memorable. Like if I saw an image or clip from the first 2, I'd likely be able to identify it. But with the others, I could probably watch them again and not have a clue what's going to happen.
    Except for the Emilia Clarke one where they spoiled the big twist in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

blue note wrote: »
    It's the type of film you just can't turn off. Whatever scene you're on is brilliant and you have to watch it to the end. Then once that's over you know what's coming next so you have to watch that too. Then the end credits start.

Some of my favourite scenes
    In the mall
    The motor bike chase
    Getting mom out of the institution
    Blowing up skynet
    The liquid nitrogen chase
    The furnace at the end

And I'm pretty sure I love all the other bits too.

There is great suspense in all of those scenes .
    The stakes are high, the tone is deadly serious and you are on the edge of your seat with tension.

You rarely get films like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lal19

Robert Patrick was just perfect for the role
    Apparently he gave Cameron a certain look down the camera when he screen tested for the film and Cameron knew he found the right man to play the T-1000
    During the bike scene he actually caught up with John Connor on the bike On several occasions and Cameron had to tell him to slow down! 😂
    Patrick is absolutely brilliant in the role and I had nightmares during my childhood such was his performance.
    It’s still stands the test of time and is simply up there with been one of my favourite films of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Great film and the effects work better than the completely over the top cgi nonsense out today. Funny enough I watched original jurassic Park recently and it is visually better than the recent sequels. Lord of the rings trilogy was first time I noticed this. First film had actors in costumes and make up as orcs and guess what, they looked and moved properly like living things do. Later films had computer generated nonsense.
    I feel T2 is like this too, even if T1000 does have special effects it's not over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Except for the Emilia Clarke one where they spoiled the big twist in the trailer.

An absolutely baffling decision, even for Hollywood!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Cameron sold 50% of the rights to Terminator to his wife for a dollar in 1984 before he directed the first one, they divorced in 89.
    I imagine he thinks about that from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Robert Patrick was phenomenally cast as the T1000

He was almost as terrifying as Arnie was as the T800 in the original Terminator movie.

I thought he was just as terrifying as Johnny Cash’s aul lad in Walk the Line.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hey, what's wrong with Wolfie? I can hear him barking.
    Wolfie's fine, honey, Wolfie's just fine.
    Your foster parents are dead.

Have not watched the entire movie in years, must pay it a revisit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

gimli2112 wrote: »
    i'm a very simple type of guy
    I don't get really artsy movies that intelligent people love, like that swedish director with death and chess
    bill and ted's adventure 2
    but I have to say I love this, I think it's a classic and survives the test of time
    Cameron's a genius

Such magnificent poetry

tenor.gif?itemid=14075666

Advertisement