Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Meraf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apologies but I'm new to this. I'm on the house /apt hunt right now but I've noticed that a lot of advertisements in daft / myhome are no longer accurate due to "sale agreed" state that they forgot to post which is wasting a lot of my time... Is that usual ?

Are there any other websites that are good to check and accurate for new offers ?

Not that I know of & I'm a property stalker. The market is just really busy at the moment unfortunately & the EA's are very arrogant about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Hi All,

Apologies but I'm new to this. I'm on the house /apt hunt right now but I've noticed that a lot of advertisements in daft / myhome are no longer accurate due to "sale agreed" state that they forgot to post which is wasting a lot of my time... Is that usual ?

Are there any other websites that are good to check and accurate for new offers ?

I just only look at the new listings, I do noticed some are refreshed but i've been looking in my area long enough to know what's available. Some don't mark it sale agreed until contracts are signed. It's frustrating when you start looking

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

Haven't posted here much but we got our keys today and just want to wish everyone on this journey the best of luck. It was the most stressful thing I've ever done and I very nearly gave up but so worth it to get the keys today 😊 best wishes to all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Haven't posted here much but we got our keys today and just want to wish everyone on this journey the best of luck. It was the most stressful thing I've ever done and I very nearly gave up but so worth it to get the keys today �� best wishes to all of you.

Great I am delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Hi All,

This 100% happens, Just happened with House I went sale agreed on and I had to chase them to move the ads to Sale Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Hi All,

Unfortunately outdated sale agreed advertisements seem to be pretty common. I don't think there's any real way around this, except maybe checking the 'last updated' timestamp in Daft. I believe this is a sign that the EA has manually indicated through an email or notification the house is still available, so it being a day or two old is usually a sign the place is still available. If an ad is a few weeks old without an update, this is usually a sign it is sale agreed or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

FWIW, I find the Daft mobile app seems to be a bit better as showing properties as gone than the non-mobile site for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Hi All,

I found this so annoying! I'm gone sale agreed on a house now but when actively looking the amount of houses I called about that were sale agreed already. And they literally said oh that's sale agreed but never enquired as to what I was looking for,price range etc. If I was an EA I'd be using those enquiries as opportunities!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

jluv wrote: »
    I found this so annoying! I'm gone sale agreed on a house now but when actively looking the amount of houses I called about that were sale agreed already. And they literally said oh that's sale agreed but never enquired as to what I was looking for,price range etc. If I was an EA I'd be using those enquiries as opportunities!

Always amazes me how bad EA's are at this.

I guess in this country you don't really need to know how to sell a house they sell themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

We're buying a house an hour from Dublin, have contracts signed, just waiting for bank to transfer mortgage funds to get the keys. The estate agent said he is still getting calls about the property despite it being sale agreed for weeks online, people asking to view it, trying to offer more money etc. :O

We are lucky that there was only a two way bidding war at the time and the vendor wanted a quick sale. I think if any of these other parties entered it, we would have lost the house as we were close to max budget when the other bidder pulled out and it ticks all our boxes for a long-term home.

Can't wait to have the keys, then I'll know it's all real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

mojesius wrote: »
    We're buying a house an hour from Dublin, have contracts signed, just waiting for bank to transfer mortgage funds to get the keys. The estate agent said he is still getting calls about the property despite it being sale agreed for weeks online, people asking to view it, trying to offer more money etc. :O

We are lucky that there was only a two way bidding war at the time and the vendor wanted a quick sale. I think if any of these other parties entered it, we would have lost the house as we were close to max budget when the other bidder pulled out and it ticks all our boxes for a long-term home.

Can't wait to have the keys, then I'll know it's all real.

I'd take anything the EA is saying with a pinch of salt! How long have you been waiting for transfer of funds? I'm nearly at that stage now too - waiting for final loan offer for two week now, then hopefully sign contracts, then wait for transfer of funds! Trying to guess how long that will take....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

CarMc wrote: »
    I'd take anything the EA is saying with a pinch of salt! How long have you been waiting for transfer of funds? I'm nearly at that stage now too - waiting for final loan offer for two week now, then hopefully sign contracts, then wait for transfer of funds! Trying to guess how long that will take....

Ah we've met a few EAs and he is actually decent enough, built up a bit of a rapport with him through the whole thing, maybe it's some kind of Stockholm syndrome!

We were waiting for loan offer for approx a week as the underwritten AIP took weeks and we had all our ducks in a row by the time that came through in terms of required paperwork, survey, mortgage protection etc. Broker was a great help in speeding things along for us.

Solicitor said transfer of funds usually takes 2 weeks but I guess that depends on the bank, waiting a week already. Once the other party is quick to sign contracts and there are no title/planning issues, you should be on the home stretch :)

mojesius wrote: »
    Ah we've met a few EAs and he is actually decent enough, built up a bit of a rapport with him through the whole thing, maybe it's some kind of Stockholm syndrome!

We were waiting for loan offer for approx a week as the underwritten AIP took weeks and we had all our ducks in a row by the time that came through in terms of required paperwork, survey, mortgage protection etc. Broker was a great help in speeding things along for us.

Solicitor said transfer of funds usually takes 2 weeks but I guess that depends on the bank, waiting a week already. Once the other party is quick to sign contracts and there are no title/planning issues, you should be on the home stretch :)

You are nearly there so! I'd say you can't wait to have the keys in your hand.

We had an underwritten AIP so thought loan offer would be quicker, nearly two weeks now, bank said there is no issue just a backlog so the wait continues....

I'm in the middle of a short chain, contracts ready to go, one side signed already, just waiting on my loan offer to counter sign, have all my other ducks in a row so hope to hear from the bank next week. Fingers crossed - that's all we can do really.

Best of luck over the next week or two - you'll be in your new home before you know it!

Question on the transfer of keys - the actual move day, we were first time buyers last time so it was a little simpler, we got the keys and moved in at our leisure (from our parents houses), now we will (hopefully) move from one house into another,

So when you close do you get the keys and have until the end of the day to move your stuff out?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Do you mean move your stuff out of your old place? It depends on when you hand the keys over to the person you're selling to.

I'd imagine you'd be pretty miffed if you've started a mortgage term and are ready to begin your big move into the new place and the old owner's stuff was still there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Question on the transfer of keys - the actual move day, we were first time buyers last time so it was a little simpler, we got the keys and moved in at our leisure (from our parents houses), now we will (hopefully) move from one house into another,

So when you close do you get the keys and have until the end of the day to move your stuff out?

I'm also in the same boat so interested to hear others experiences.

We've first time buyers buying our house and the house we are buying the owners aren't in a chain so it would suit to collect keys for new house in the morning and hand over keys from our house in the afternoon. But I can't imagine things will go that smoothly!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

I've recently sold a house , I would highly recommend getting a storage unit atleast 2 weeks prior to moving if you can , you can pay for these monthly.

It takes the stress out of it alot more , i just left the main items beds and fridge etc in place and moved them all out the day before so we could give the then empty house a good clean etc for the new buyers.

Also once the solicitor had transferred the funds they wanted the keys which was around 2pm in the day.

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Do you mean move your stuff out of your old place? It depends on when you hand the keys over to the person you're selling to.

I'd imagine you'd be pretty miffed if you've started a mortgage term and are ready to begin your big move into the new place and the old owner's stuff was still there

Yep, that’s why I’m asking the question - how does it all work when moving from one house to another in the same day - I’m hoping to close sale & purchase on the same day, so do I pack up my house into a truck and hand over keys - then get keys to my new house - obviously won’t hand over keys and still be living in the house !

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    I've recently sold a house , I would highly recommend getting a storage unit atleast 2 weeks prior to moving if you can , you can pay for these monthly.

It takes the stress out of it alot more , i just left the main items beds and fridge etc in place and moved them all out the day before so we could give the then empty house a good clean etc for the new buyers.

Also once the solicitor had transferred the funds they wanted the keys which was around 2pm in the day.

Thanks, I have somewhere to store a lot of stuff - not bigger items but other non every item like the contents of the attic or shed so I’ll get them moved so moving day will be beds, couch, boxes etc - just can’t get my head around how the key swap works but I’m sure it’s done all the time and works out ! Have priced a few storage units too in case my ideal dream of same day close doesn’t pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Hi guys, a couple of questions. Is this closing date the day you get the keys?

When/how should one approach prospective neighbors? It's something I really want to do but a bit apprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

ebayissues wrote: »

When/how should one approach prospective neighbors? It's something I really want to do but a bit apprehensive.

We collected the keys to our site, it was a commercial infill, the following day.

After attempting to make contact with our neighbours, one was incredibly allusive and so it wasn’t until he put in newspaper notice for planning that we were able get in touch with him. The others unfortunately met my OH by him letting them know that they can no longer access their illegal drive extension via our lane way. Hopefully, your new neighbours will be pleasant enough to approach as you are moving in, might take some of the anxiety out of doing so for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

There's a pub one side of me and a Indian restaurant the other side, I introduce myself regularly

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to meet neighbours unless i had a good reason to. I assume we would get to know each other eventually for better or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I wouldn't go knocking at their door to introduce yourself, it's a bit forward. Just give them a quick wave or hello if you see them coming in/out of the house and take it from there

I wouldn't, mainly just because of the pandemic. I met my neighbours daughter on one side just from a quick hello when we both happened to be at the respective front doors - turns out her mum is elderly, unwell, and very high risk.

I did pop a note into the neighbours on the other side one day because we were going to be drilling into the wall - they sent back a quick note to say it was all no bother. But I wouldn't be knocking on anyone's door that you don't know - you could be putting people at risk.

Like you, I was quite keen to say hello, especially when we first went sale agreed (which was just before lockdown) to get an idea of what they'd be like, but once lockdown came in I think that option was well and truly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I knocked into one of our soon to be neighbours after going Sale Agreed really to see the extension they've built on as it's something we plan on in a few years. They couldn't have been nicer, let me have a quick look and introduced themselves and gave some info about the road, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Got news regarding my new build. Snagging hopefully on 23/10, probably reeady to move in second week of november

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Im looking for a recommendation for a surveyor in Dublin . If someone could PM me that would be great

Got news regarding my new build. Snagging hopefully on 23/10, probably reeady to move in second week of november

Congrats! You're on the home stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Im looking for a recommendation for a surveyor in Dublin . If someone could PM me that would be great

Sent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Finally got our mortgage protection sorted today! There were delays because they needed our GPs to fill in medical reports, but luckily it didn't affect our application. It was just an extra delay we hadn't anticipated.

Trying to get in touch with our solicitor now so that we can organising transferring the balance of the deposit and sending the signed contracts back to the vendor...

Advertisement