Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Closing our deal and finalising payments now.

A quick question on stamp duty of property. Is it 1% of total house price with VAT included?

Thank you

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A quick question on stamp duty of property. Is it 1% of total house price with VAT included?

Thank you

No, 1% of the price excluding VAT.

Otherwise you'd be getting taxed on your tax. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Thank you

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/stamp_duty.html#:~:text=Budget%202020,from%206%25%20to%207.5%25.
    Relevant section below

If you paid VAT on your house, you only have to pay stamp duty on the base price of the house – before the VAT was added. So, for example, if you paid €454,000 (including VAT) for your new house, this is made up of the base price of €400,000 plus 13.5% VAT (€54,000) and you only pay stamp duty on the base price of €400,000. Read more in our document on Value Added Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

loads of gold information here

I found a place which was advertised like 3 months ago. The ask price was 385k.

Right after the announcement, I decided to visit it. I loved the place. I was thinking to offer 355k but because I already had booked flights for a long holiday, I've decided to not bit until I return to Ireland.

Now in august I called the EA to know if the house was sold and he said it was sale agreed for the asking price. Fair enough, I walked away.

Three weeks later, EA calls me back saying that the buyer pulled out. He said there was an offer for 375k but if I offer 380k the owner would sell it to me

I think this is a bit strange situation. Probably what will happen is that I will offer 380 and he will be back to the other bidder and there it goes another bid war. Or he is just bluffing.

What do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mslenny

We are selling our house and buying a new build. We have a buyer and want that contract signed before signing for our own.
    However is it not standard that in our contract with new build there would be the condition- ‘subject to sale of purchasers house’?
    I would have assumed any second time buyer would look for this protection? If our buyer did not go through with sale after contracts we could recoup the deposit however there is a €20k difference between the deposit on our house and the the deposit we will be putting on the new build.
    Appreciate any insights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks a million.
    awec wrote: »
    No, 1% of the price excluding VAT.

Otherwise you'd be getting taxed on your tax. :)

Leozord wrote: »

Right after the announcement, I decided to visit it. I loved the place. I was thinking to offer 355k but because I already had booked flights for a long holiday, I've decided to not bit until I return to Ireland.

Now in august I called the EA to know if the house was sold and he said it was sale agreed for the asking price. Fair enough, I walked away.

Three weeks later, EA calls me back saying that the buyer pulled out. He said there was an offer for 375k but if I offer 380k the owner would sell it to me

I think this is a bit strange situation. Probably what will happen is that I will offer 380 and he will be back to the other bidder and there it goes another bid war. Or he is just bluffing.

What do ye reckon?

The one rule of buying property is to be prepared to walk away
    Offer what you think the property is worth and tell the EA that's your top offer.
    if he comes back with a higher bid tell him you are out.
    If you are a cash buyer or can prove you have AIP and are not affected by PUP or EWSS payments that will put you in a stronger position.
    The buyer may have pulled out because even though he had AIP he may not have been able to drawdown
    This has happened to a lot of people and there is a whole thread on here dedicated to it
    You are right to be suspicious of Estate agents

Mslenny wrote: »
    We are selling our house and buying a new build. We have a buyer and want that contract signed before signing for our own.
    However is it not standard that in our contract with new build there would be the condition- ‘subject to sale of purchasers house’?
    I would have assumed any second time buyer would look for this protection? If our buyer did not go through with sale after contracts we could recoup the deposit however there is a €20k difference between the deposit on our house and the the deposit we will be putting on the new build.
    Appreciate any insights

I would assume there would be a subject to finance clause in your contract with the seller of the new house.
    However your solicitor would be the best person to ask .

brisan wrote: »
    The one rule of buying property is to be prepared to walk away
    Offer what you think the property is worth and tell the EA that's your top offer.
    if he comes back with a higher bid tell him you are out.
    If you are a cash buyer or can prove you have AIP and are not affected by PUP or EWSS payments that will put you in a stronger position.
    The buyer may have pulled out because even though he had AIP he may not have been able to drawdown
    This has happened to a lot of people and there is a whole thread on here dedicated to it
    You are right to be suspicious of Estate agents

Thanks for the reply

No, I'm not on EWSS - am still working from home, didn't get pay cut or anything (working in IT). I'm assuming AIP is an income stream from my employer?

Thanks for the reply

No, I'm not on EWSS - am still working from home, didn't get pay cut or anything (working in IT). I'm assuming AIP is an income stream from my employer?

AIP is approval in principle from your bank or building society
    Basically it says that they are prepared to lend you a certain amount of money by way of a mortgage so you can buy a qualifying property ie a property on which you have at least a 10% deposit and is valued at a price they find acceptable.
    Have you applied for a mortgage or are you a cash buyer ???

• Advertisement

AIP is approval in principle from your bank or building society
    Basically it says that they are prepared to lend you a certain amount of money by way of a mortgage so you can buy a qualifying property ie a property on which you have at least a 10% deposit and is valued at a price they find acceptable.
    Have you applied for a mortgage or are you a cash buyer ???

Oh yes, I already got the Approval in Principle, with a higher amount than the asking price. One of the another reasons that I was waiting for bidding was because of the bank - it took a bit longer from Bank of Ireland to get it approved. According to them, there were loads of mortgage applications in July.

Oh yes, I already got the Approval in Principle, with a higher amount than the asking price. One of the another reasons that I was waiting for bidding was because of the bank - it took a bit longer from Bank of Ireland to get it approved. According to them, there were loads of mortgage applications in July.

If the EA asks to see your AIP redact the amount you are approved for so he/she does not know how much you have to spend .
    no point in showing your full hand too early

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Went Sale Agreed today. Very happy but still lots of work to be done to get over the line... Not to even the mention the renovations needed after that!!! Baby steps anyhow. Stick at it, the right place comes up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mslenny

I would assume there would be a subject to finance clause in your contract with the seller of the new house.
    However your solicitor would be the best person to ask .

We requested the clause .... the sellers solicitor said they won’t amend the contract. I’m surprised I thought it was a standard enough condition for a second time buyer.
    As a result our solicitor has said not to buy the house ....

We requested the clause .... the sellers solicitor said they won’t amend the contract. I’m surprised I thought it was a standard enough condition for a second time buyer.

Well I would say you were well advised .
    When your house is sold the new build may still be available and subject to finance will not be an issue.
    I am surprised though as most solicitors will insist on this clause especially given the uncertain times we live in

What do ye reckon?

If you are happy to buy it for 380 then you have nothing to lose putting a bid in. Either you'll go sale agreed, and you get the house you wanted, or someone else will bid, and you can either bid again or walk away.

Well I would say you were well advised .
    When your house is sold the new build may still be available and subject to finance will not be an issue.
    I am surprised though as most solicitors will insist on this clause especially given the uncertain times we live in

I am not remotely surprised, since solicitors for one party cannot insist on anything.

Given the uncertain times we live in it is not surprising that the vendors do not want this clause added, as it increases the chances that they will be left out of pocket through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

What do ye reckon?

As many here have stated, offer only what you think it’s worth to you and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

I am not remotely surprised, since solicitors for one party cannot insist on anything.

Given the uncertain times we live in it is not surprising that the vendors do not want this clause added, as it increases the chances that they will be left out of pocket through no fault of their own.

I understand the vendors position on this but the idea of having to walk away from a very significant deposit that takes years to save us untenable to me. Especially as by withdrawing your offer they are going to be down solicitor fees anyway. I'd rather lose 2k in solicitors fees than 70k deposit. Easy choice for us should vendors decline a subject to finance clause

Given the uncertain times we live in it is not surprising that the buyers want this clause added.
    The sale of their own house is not in their hands but at the mercy of the buyers and the buyers bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

If there is no clause subject to finance, I’d walk away. Your solicitor should strongly advise you against signing a contract without a subject to finance clause. Mine did

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Experienced smething similar s I was buying from a chain...Point blank refused not to sign it..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Does anyone have an idea of how fast things can go to closing after contracts are signed? Signing next week, vendor's already moved out, from what I can tell we just need drawdown to happen and we'll be good to go, but I've no clue how long it'll take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Does anyone have an idea of how fast things can go to closing after contracts are signed? Signing next week, vendor's already moved out, from what I can tell we just need drawdown to happen and we'll be good to go, but I've no clue how long it'll take.

I was told 3 weeks all going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/stamp_duty.html#:~:text=Budget%202020,from%206%25%20to%207.5%25.
    Relevant section below

If you paid VAT on your house, you only have to pay stamp duty on the base price of the house – before the VAT was added. So, for example, if you paid €454,000 (including VAT) for your new house, this is made up of the base price of €400,000 plus 13.5% VAT (€54,000) and you only pay stamp duty on the base price of €400,000. Read more in our document on Value Added Tax.

Would the asking price as advertised by the EA include VAT in the figure?

Would the asking price as advertised by the EA include VAT in the figure?

No VAT due on second hand homes. New build prices are always advertised as the price you pay, inclusive of VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

What do ye reckon?

Nope. The EA is obliged to tell the other bidder about your bid regardless. They keep a log of bids for audit purposes. So you offer 380 and the other bidder will be informed of it, at which point they can counter-bid. Or... like the EA says, the vendor could go sale agreed with you straight after you offer the 380.

I lost a house a month ago, calling the EA's bluff that the vendor would go sale agreed. Long story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

What do ye reckon?

Well if I was the seller of course I would want the EA to go back and ask its their job to get you the highest price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Appreciate any insights

I think you can get your solicitor to word your signing that you are only going through with the purchase on the basis your own property sells as well. So if your buyer pulls out you can pull out too and your only cost will be your solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Canyon86 wrote: »
    I was told 3 weeks all going well

Fingers crossed, it'd be lovely to be in before October and get settled before winter's fully set in.

Advertisement