Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP (I’m locked in my bedroom... no joke)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Can OP not climb out the window?

Alternatively, with the handle raise the door and jiggling the key and put some downward weight on the handle while jiggling the key.

Or

While jiggling the key see if you can withdraw it very slightly.

You see too determine if you can feel any movement in the deadbolt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Basta locks...... get a relative to go down the diy shop and either buy one if every number or ask for their master set. Drop them out your front door keys if they’re in your room and they’ll be able to let you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Every bedroom should have 2 escape routes in case of fire. One obviously the door the other the window. What the hell are you supposed to do if a fire starts at night and never mind the locked door your only escape route is through the window?it's called an escape plan. Time to devise one if you already don't.

Or maybe they forgot about the door and got into love-lock-down mode....

Listening to "Light my Fire" by The Doors :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Get someone to give you a recipricating saw or a jigsaw with a longish blade through your window. Just haul it up with a piece of rope if you've no ladder.

You can use it to cut the deadbolt. Hold the handle down so you don't cut the latch. Put the blade between the door and frame and cut the deadbolt from above working down. There'll be no damage except to the deadbolt. The door will still function but you just won't be able to lock it. If locking it is important its easy to change the lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Macgyver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just put your foot through the door, always works in the filums

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just put your foot through the door, always works in the filums

Most are made of basically card board anyway, even antifa members would be able to punch a hole or possibly slap their way out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Glebee

Did he get out yet???

Glebee wrote: »
    Did he get out yet???

We haven't had this suspense since the "I found a locked safe" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why lock the bedroom when you're inside anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He's futuristic with his 7g, should be able to walk through doors

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Every bedroom should have 2 escape routes in case of fire. One obviously the door the other the window. What the hell are you supposed to do if a fire starts at night and never mind the locked door your only escape route is through the window?it's called an escape plan. Time to devise one if you already don't.

The escape plan in the case of fire is jumping out of the window. That's why there's extra regs for protected means of escape and fire doors when you do an attic conversion, because jumping out of a second floor window hurts a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It appears that whatever creature was burrowing in that shed last year has now devoured a second OP.
    It's terrible altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Thoughts and prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Where is the OP stuck ? County wise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Heckler wrote: »

Loughlinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why lock the bedroom when you're inside anyway?

To stop the kids interrupting a good shag.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Heckler wrote: »

Roscommon, Near Lough (no) Key

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Smash your way out or get someone to kick the door in and get a second hand door it'll be cheaper than calling a locksmith. I had to do this in a crappy student house I lived in years ago. Cutting the deadbolt is a load of work and if OP has never done something like that before he could easily cut his hand off. Just break the door it's hardly solid oak?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

First of all I don't know what kind of doors most people seem to have but mine are solid wood and I would break bones trying to bust them down.
    Secondly I hope we are not going to be left never knowing about OP. Some things can haunt forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

MadYaker wrote: »
    Smash your way out or get someone to kick the door in and get a second hand door it'll be cheaper than calling a locksmith. I had to do this in a crappy student house I lived in years ago. Cutting the deadbolt is a load of work and if OP has never done something like that before he could easily cut his hand off. Just break the door it's hardly solid oak?

Cutting the deadbolt from the inside where he showed the picture is far from "a load of work". He doesn't even have to peel off architrave.

To advocate kicking in the door and potentially wrecking the door, door frame and lock is nuts when there is a simple controlled solution available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Darc19 wrote: »
    Seeing as it's the bedroom, some lube on the key and a bit of jiggling may give you release

thats assuming the OP has lube in the bedroom...

I always have some just in case I ever lock myself in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Any good locksmith will have ya sorted in 5 mins. Will cost you though. Especially on a Sunday.

Presuming the door opens inwards, kicking it from the inside is going to be extremely difficult to force it open

If the door locked, it should open aswell

Push against the door in the area of the handle and try the key again anti clockwise

I would imagine going out the window doesnt have any advantage as they probably have no front door keys to get back in and you wouldnt want to be getting out of a window at 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

angle grinder with a cutting disc nip the dead bolt 2 mins work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭con747

It took the OP 7 months after moving in to try that key :confused:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112558107

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

angle grinder with a cutting disc nip the dead bolt 2 mins work.

This is why I always keep my angle grinder and cutting disc under my pillow for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Easiest thing to do is ring around for someone with a ladder. Get out the window that way and remember to bring your house keys to get back in, or get someone who has a spare set to help you.

Sorted!

• Advertisement

Easiest thing to do is ring around for someone with a ladder. Get out the window that way and remember to bring your house keys to get back in, or get someone who has a spare set to help you.

Sorted!

I would imagine the op has thought of this

I imagine the house keys are downstairs so no way of getting them from his bedroom and then no way in to the downstairs and probably nobody has a spare key

Chances are aswell they have no charger in the bedroom so right now we can only hope for the best and think of the worst

Advertisement