Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Service Options (Sky & Virgin Media Not Available)

Options
  • 16-02-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi,

I’ve just moved into a new house (Dublin 18) and neither Sky or Virgin Media are available at the house.

Can anyone recommend any other service provider that will have Sky Sports, other than a ‘Dodgy Box’?

I’d something snappy from a UI perspective. I found Virgin Media and a previous Dodgy Box really frustrating from a UI perspective... i.e - waiting 2-3 mins for it to boot up, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Eir is an option. Uses an app on Apple tv. The UI isn't wonderful and it's the apple remote which is a big move from traditional remotes. Probable youd find it more frustrating than virgin tbh but it's an option. On the plus side you get a year of amazon prime video and apple tv plus included as well as eir sports.

https://www.eir.ie/tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭fman

Nowtv ? Basically a cut down version of sky through your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Thanks. I had checked Eir but they don’t have Sports channels.

I’ve just been on NowTV website. Looks good however I can’t seem to find a full comprehensive list of their channels. They all seem to be in groups of packages.

Can anyone confirm what the UI is like for NowTV?

I presume the quality is just as good as Sky HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

paul7g wrote: »

I’ve just been on NowTV website. Looks good however I can’t seem to find a full comprehensive list of their channels. They all seem to be in groups of packages.

If you want to try Now TV out, Lidl are selling the USB sticks for €20 and that gets you a months free access to Sky movies, try that and if you don't like it you've only spent €20 as there is no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Power City have 2 months entertainment pass for €20 incl the stick itself

https://powercity.ie/product/4001810

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

paul7g wrote:

Full HD is available as an addon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

paul7g wrote: »

Now TV works off the idea of “passes” - you can buy an Entertainment, Cinema, Sports, Sports Extra, or Hayu pass. The sports passes are available on a day or week basis, all others are monthly only. You should note that there aren’t any linear terrestrial channels on Now TV (with a small number of exceptions virtually all the channels that are on it are owned by Sky) so you’d need to team it with Saorview/Freesat. The quality is 720p which is not as good as Sky HD. Now TV Boost which offers proper HD isn’t available here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How is Sky not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

loyatemu wrote: »
    How is Sky not available?

My house is surrounded by large trees and they could not get a signal when they came out :-(

I thought Sky would have been through a cable now. I was surprised it is still satellite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are working on that, in the form of SkyX, the “Son of Now TV” that is being trialled in Austria.

Be careful what you wish for though. When it comes it’s not likely to have manual tuning or any channels that aren’t part of the Sky package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you have decent broadband you could try these guys: https://www.ibox.ie/ for the basic channels (there's also AerTV which is more basic - https://www.aertv.ie/)

I have no idea of their legality but they have been online for years and the price is low.
    plus NowTV for the sport channels.

Advertisement