Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'll be eaten alive for this but I saw Blazing Saddles and thought it was fine and not THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME as I was expecting, also the 'You wouldn't get away with that now' sh1te that people come out with gets on my nerves as well.

Yeah but for it’s time it was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

People referring to Zoolander or Anchorman as comedy classics are just misinformed imho.

But they are . Comedy as a genre is very badly served since 2000 , the only films close are Borat and Team America : World Police ( gets an award for best sex scene too ) ; even on the lighter side of comedy the Hangover and Bridesmaids are small bits in the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Anything by Woody Allen with the exception of Take The Money And Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Gone With The Wind - Pure shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

trellheim wrote: »
    But they are . Comedy as a genre is very badly served since 2000 , the only films close are Borat and Team America : World Police ( gets an award for best sex scene too ) ; even on the lighter side of comedy the Hangover and Bridesmaids are small bits in the desert

Agree about comedies not being great over the years but that does not mean that Zoolander or Anchorman can be viewed as classics unless you want to redefine what a classic is.

They're average films, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A lot of these recent, well-regarded films all basically have the same concept: journey through life with nothing really happening during the whole film. Its almost like you are seen a Philistine if you say you don't 'get' them either.

I am talking about:

Boyhood
    Manchester by the Sea
    Ladybird
    Brooklyn
    Birdman
    Lala Land
    Three Billboards....

Movies can be character driven rather than plot driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

All those UK period dramas

Color Purple , 12 years a slave, Hollywood blaxploitation type movies

Anything trendy media critics give a 6/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

All the Christopher Nolan Batman films, particularly The Dark Knight. Find a lot of the film very boring and Christian Bale's performance very underwhelming. He's not given a lot to work with though, script seemed to mostly involve just being dark and brooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yurt! wrote: »
    You're not wrong. Everything bar In Bruges (mildly tolerable) from the McDonagh brothers is sub-Tarantino hackneyed sh*te. Seven Psychopaths made me want to cry it was so bad; I gave Three Billboards a go on the recommendation of a friend and wanted to throw my laptop out the window.

The dialogue is always so cringe and always shooting to be clever. None of the stories seem to have any moral framework or say anything. Just random cobbled together vignettes trying to look cool.

Honestly, I they get a free pass in the press in Ireland because they're Irish in Hollywood and they keep casting Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell.

I kind of like both of them (Gleeson & Farrel) so if someone keeps casting them that is okay. You are right that putting the boot into something the McDonaghs direct/produce that also contains Irish actors may be considered "unpatriotic". :pac:

Haven't seen Three Billboards yet (or Seven Psychopaths). I thought In Bruges and Calvary were fairly good (or at least I watched them all the way through).
    What I experienced with those 2 wasn't completely opposite to reviews/others opinions; unwatchable for me vs a film praised as good/or definitely above average (as with The Guard).

I think perhaps it is those 2 were not really comedies, more dramas, a more coherent plot along with a little dark comedy. It might be the McDonagh shtick works better in that context than in something that is just farcical & trying so hard to be outright funny. Maybe the paddywhackery rubbed me up the wrong way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I thought In Bruges and Calvary were fairly good (or at least I watched them all the way through).

‘In Bruges’ was class, ‘Calvary’ was overindulgent twaddle. Boring, soulless, “archetypes” laying it on thick throughout before the film, finally, ends and you feel the loss of the hours but take “solace” in the fact you never have to sit through it again.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Erranged wrote: »
    Color Purple , 12 years a slave, Hollywood blaxploitation type movies

Hmm...that puts Driving Miss Daisy and the movies above in the same category as Shaft and SuperFly... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

‘In Bruges’ was class, ‘Calvary’ was overindulgent twaddle. Boring, soulless, “archetypes” laying it on thick throughout before the film, finally, ends and you feel the loss of the hours but take “solace” in the fact you never have to sit through it again.

Fair enough. Would agree In Bruges is better. I may watch that again now thread brought it to mind (it's a good while since I've seen it); Calvary - won't bother (but it passed the time okay while I was watching it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Would have been interesting if posters had to also include their top 3 movies in their posts.....just to check out their actual taste!
    Ditto!

Everyone has different tastes so it would be wrong to criticize but here's mine in no particular order

Schindler's List
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Saving Private Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

shawshank was dire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anyone who dismisses a whole genre needs to take a hard look at themselves. There are good and bad movies. There are no good and bad genres.

Ditto anyone who dismisses "all B&W movies" or "all foreign movies".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Count Down wrote: »
    Gone With The Wind - Pure shyte.

Overlong and Leigh is an awful actor.

The book is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Inception.

It was worse than shyte. It was scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Count Down wrote: »
    Anything by Woody Allen with the exception of Take The Money And Run.

Sleeper is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Woody Allen has a great catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Gosford Park and Mullholland Drive were rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Segotias wrote: »
    Something about Mary.
    Anything with Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Farrelly Brothers, Will Ferrell

:eek: I loved that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Interstellar.

What a convoluted pile of shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Vertigo.

Hitchcock's film is held up as a classic, caught up with it during lockdown. What a load of rubbish. While I'm at it, The Third Man was nothing to write home about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

murpho999 wrote: »

Yeah I agree. They're not all winners but some great movies. Watched Mighty Aphrodite the other night. Great movie. But I see why some peope would dislike it as it uses a different story telling technique to most movies.

I liked his newer stuff too like Break Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Bit I get why people would dislike them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I could never understand how the Blair Witch Project received critical acclaim. It was fcuking torturous to watch.

A few shots up a snotty nose is about all it was. Pure scutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

murpho999 wrote: »

Annie Hall is a top ten film for me. I never tire of it.

"Hello? I forgot my mantra".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I could never understand how the Blair Witch Project received critical acclaim. It was fcuking torturous to watch.

That was some crock, I seem to remember a lot of people asking "Is that it?" when the credits started rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

BattleCorp wrote: »

Ah, that's the movie equivalent of saying football is a group of men chase a bag of air.

It was a brand new way to make a movie. The fact that personal cameras were available and people knew what they were meant they could do a "reality" style movie. I distinctly remember there being loads of discussion around whether it was actually real footage or was some of it staged.

I probably remember it with nostalgia because I was young when it came out. But I remember there being great buzz around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

quickbeam wrote: »
    Anyone who dismisses a whole genre needs to take a hard look at themselves. There are good and bad movies. There are no good and bad genres.

I mostly agree, but there's musicals. The idea that characters break into song to deliver what should be dialogue is absurd, wrong and grotesque, and cannot be done in a good way. The one exception - and the only one recognised by the UN's High Commission for Human Rights - is the episode "Once More, With Feeling" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but in that case the breaking out into musical numbers was an integral plot device (a demon caused people to do it - demons can do that). I will hear no debate on this matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Seamai wrote: »
    Vertigo.

Hitchcock's film is held up as a classic, caught up with it during lockdown. What a load of rubbish. While I'm at it, The Third Man was nothing to write home about either.

Do you generally like Hitchcock movies?

Advertisement