Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Twelve Monkeys . The biggest piece of crap ever made

Agreed. All Terry Gilliam movies come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

As Good As It Gets. Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson as annoying as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

That Glen Hansard movie Once. If I remember correctly the Irish media were dribbling all over themselves at this, and it was a pile of absolute scutter with an incredibly annoying whiny soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

loyatemu wrote: »
    pfft - The Prestige wants a word with you...

There's one now, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Erranged wrote: »
    Sully

I haven't seen it but I can guess how bad it is

Typical American superhero trash!
    Flight, with Denzel Washington. an altogether better film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Three Billboards. Badly crafted, this excuse that it is "character driven" is just a total cop out. The characters are given too short a time frame that exists within the 2 hours to be properly drawn out. All you are left with is a film that has no basic point to any of its story in the limited time frame you are watching. Doesn't really matter anyways, the world in this film is not believable, so, why would you give a monkeys about the characters in such a realm. I think the director was trying to make a hybrid of Twin Peaks with Tarantino dialogue and it just all falls flat on its arse.

BlackKKlansman. Another badly crafted world that just seems totally and utterly unbelievable. This film doesn't know what it is. It carries a serious message and serious story but the whole thing just seemed to be laughing at itself with all these cartoonish characters and silly set-pieces. Am a big fan of "Do the right thing" by Spike Lee, but the fall came very soon after that. Now the fall is huge.

Midsommar. I'm a big fan of 'Hereditary' but hated this. In 'Hereditary' there is this constant sense of otherwordly dread, as if the Demon in the film is the thing actually directing the whole film you are watching, very cool. Midsommar is basically a break up movie with a bunch of really really annoying frat knobs on vacation, one of whom brings his girlfriend along for the trip. Just desperate stuff.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that highly acclaimed film!

There's some people out there who think it's the greatest horror series since sliced bread.

*Shrugs

daithi1970 wrote: »
    my head still hurts after watching Memento..

this is for you then

https://vimeo.com/194394156

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Twelve Monkeys . The biggest piece of crap ever made

certainly over-rated ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

The Godfather (Absolute muck)
    All of the Star wars movies
    The Breakfast Club
    Harry Potter series
    John Wick

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

The Breakfast Club
    Harry Potter series
    John Wick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

eddiervp20 wrote: »

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I don't understand the love for the John Wick movies at all. Watched half of the first one and was bored beyond endurance.

Can understand the rest of your picks but why 'The Godfather', genuinely interested, why did you not dig it?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The Breakfast Club
    Harry Potter series
    John Wick

We have different tastes, I'm genuinely interested what age gender occupation you have

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Archeron wrote: »
    That Glen Hansard movie Once. If I remember correctly the Irish media were dribbling all over themselves at this, and it was a pile of absolute scutter with an incredibly annoying whiny soundtrack.

Especially the way the whole relationship between Hansard and the actress in real life was creepy as f*ck.

He met her when she was 13 and he was 29, by the time she was 17 they were a couple.

don't care what anyone says, thats verging on peadophilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Rocky - Rubbish, I couldn't believe this won an oscar, and stallone nominated for best actor ?

utter garbage - now Rocky 4 !! that was a classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Context post
    I'm 45
    Have no options on potter never watched it
    Loved breakfast club in n the time it was released
    Loved the first three star wars in their era
    And love the Godfather in Literally any era

Especially the way the whole relationship between Hansard and the actress in real life was creepy as f*ck.

He met her when she was 13 and he was 29, by the time she was 17 they were a couple.

don't care what anyone says, thats verging on peadophilia.

not good on the maths alright

ginger potato-head feckers like him have to plan ahead to get a piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Gangs of New York.
    Day Lewis was some of the hammiest acting I've ever seen, and it was about 2 hours to long.
    I saw it in the Stella in Rathmines (when it was still a kip)and they even still had an intermission. The other 4 people I saw it with thought it was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The song that won the oscar was a bag of dogsh1t too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Gangs of New York.
    Day Lewis was some of the hammiest acting I've ever seen, and it was about 2 hours to long.
    I saw it in the Stella in Rathmines (when it was still a kip)and they even still had an intermission. The other 4 people I saw it with thought it was brilliant

I agree except about Daniel Day Lewis. He's the only good thing about that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Good call. Could never understand the hype about that film or song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Scarface. Its 7 hours too long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

glasso wrote: »
    not good on the maths alright

ginger potato-head feckers like him have to plan ahead to get a piece.

Lads like him don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

limnam wrote: »
    A Clockwork Orange.

Utter tripe.

About 15 years since I saw it but underwhelming would be putting it mildly, a bore fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I was very disappointed with gangs of New York, should have been an epic considering those involved and the setting but was altogether forgettable.

🙈🙉🙊

A Quiet Place. Protagonist family of hipster idiots live in a post apocalyptic world where monsters that can hear your slightest move rush to come kill you, but said protagonist family of hipsters still be living like its 1999 on a huge working farm with a pregnant woman in tow. They all deserved to die and the longer the film went on I was hoping they all would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Avatar was a real sh1t sandwich.

Advertisement