Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I tend to agree about most Superhero movies being money-grabbing **** for the most part.

I seemed to never get their appeal.

But I do have a few in my collection.
    The Batman films with Bale and Ledger are genuinely well done.

I've got Iron Man as well and like it.

But watching young fellas slavishly pay out every time the next Avengers 10 or whatever comes out always make me cringe.

Same with Fast and Furious type films. Utter rubbish.

I hope nobody has mentioned No Country for Old Men here.

A truly wonderful film IMO. Thoroughly deserving of all it's accolades.

I agree about No Country for Old Men.

It really is extraordinary in many ways, and I have friends who found it blah. The story is smart and tightly wound, the acting and direction superb. The settings are also excellent.

• Every 'Fast and the Furious' after 'Tokyo Drift'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As usual some awful takes in a thread like this.

The guy hating on Shawshank because he is a Trump supporter or the other person saying all sci-fi movies are terrible....wow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Every 'Fast and the Furious' after 'Tokyo Drift'.

No way, Fast 5 is absolutely magnificent. For Danza Kuduro if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fight Club, Trainspotting and the aforementioned Withnail would be on my list as would a lot of the recent superhero stuff, especially recent Batman outings.
    And one very recent one - Midsommar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I agree about No Country for Old Men.

It really is extraordinary in many ways, and I have friends who found it blah. The story is smart and tightly wound, the acting and direction superb. The settings are also excellent.

A brilliant film, story, acting, dialogue, cinematography, unpredictable, extremely violent and shocking when you’d least expect it... great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Strumms wrote: »
    A brilliant film, story, acting, dialogue, cinematography, unpredictable, extremely violent and shocking when you’d least expect it... great film.

The off-screen death of the protagonist just ruined it for me. Just one decision in an otherwise excellent film but thats what stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No way, Fast 5 is absolutely magnificent. For Danza Kuduro if nothing else.

All the Furious films are on the same level as mega shark v giant octopus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Most of the new Super hero movies, in particular the Avengers - cheesy, badly written scripts and 3hrs long, I thought it would never end, I would rather go to mass than watch Infinity war again! absolute torture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

Sully

I haven't seen it but I can guess how bad it is

Typical American superhero trash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's a good film, but not one I'd watch again. Having the main character killed off screen was annoying

In fairness I think that was the point. 🙂

I think Brolin (an underrated actor IMO) is great as the hero, a decent (not perfect) guy with rough edges who gets in over his head and is dispensed of cruelly.

It's this nihilism that I find strangely soothing about the film.

No matter how you root for someone, it's all a big nothing (as Livia Soprano would say).

The guy is still one of the heroes of the film (and was to him and others).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Most of the new Super hero movies, in particular the Avengers - cheesy, badly written scripts and 3hrs long, I thought it would never end, I would rather go to mass than watch Infinity war again! absolute torture!

As superhero movies I think the avengers movies are brilliant. They were great family movies for family cinema trips.
    As for infinity war unless you sat through about 5 or 6 previous movies all 2 1/2 to 3 hrs long it won't have made a lot of sense.
    For what they were I think the Avengers movies were great but each to their own.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Mission Impossible II - worst garbage I've ever seen in the cinema. Never watched another Tom Cruise movie after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

iamstop wrote: »
    Mission Impossible II - worst garbage I've ever seen in the cinema. Never watched another Tom Cruise movie after that.

Pity, Edge of Tomorrow was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

I take it Titanic has been said already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

As Good As It Gets. Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson as annoying as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Ah lads I was yanking yer legs about Shawshank.

It's a favourite actually and I've seen it several times.

It is a very enjoyable movie but it is certainly overrated.

Stephen King is a knob though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Post

one of the dullest films ive ever seen

critics received it well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭limnam

A Clockwork Orange.

Utter tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's a good film, but not one I'd watch again. Having the main character killed off screen was annoying

"I need you to step out the car please sir"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Sorry, no. That’s Christopher Nolan’s “thing”, everything has to be fractured, and convoluted.

my head still hurts after watching Memento..

The Snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The Snapper.

I think there's a real 80s Northside affinity towards that movie. I grew up around that area and at that time and it really hit the nail on the head. Colm Meaney is impossible not to like too.

As Good as it gets - absolute bollock. If that movie is as good as it gets I'll stick to radio.

Erranged wrote: »
    Sully

I haven't seen it but I can guess how bad it is

Typical American superhero trash!

actually you couldn't be further from the mark really of how the movie plays out.

most of the movie is the pilot defending his decision to land in the river in an arbitration / court type setting - quite well done and interesting.

the plane landing bit is over quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

daithi1970 wrote: »
    my head still hurts after watching Memento..

It's by far his best film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,869 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

iamstop wrote: »

Yes - we watched the MI films with the kids during the lockdown, I thought I'd seen them all before but apparently I hadn't seen MI2 and it really stinks. I quite like John Woo, and the rest of the MI series is at least entertaining, but MI2 is cheesy and boring.

It's by far his best film.

pfft - The Prestige wants a word with you...

is_that_so wrote: »
    Fight Club, Trainspotting and the aforementioned Withnail

so much wrong in such a short post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Twelve Monkeys . The biggest piece of crap ever made

Advertisement