Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2020 purchases

• 20-08-2020 11:59pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Pick up a tub of Celebrations? A Christmas ornament? Splash out on a new Christmas tree?
    Cake decorations? Wrapping paper or get somebody's present ticked off the list?

Come and show us here so we can ooooh and aaaah over all your purchases! :)

I officially kicked off my Christmas shopping today- got a few Clinique bits and pieces for the mammy.
    Arnotts are doing Bonus Time, and LookFantastic have 15% off everything, so between the two, I did pretty well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The fact that this thread even existing is exciting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I actually bought these a couple of months ago but only had them delivered recently. My first Christmas 2020 purchase.

523751.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooooh, I love them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Loughc linked a Facebook page on the Christmas Funnies thread and they have this calendar

https://xmascount.com/products/christmas-countdown-flip-calendar

Think it will be my next Christmas purchase :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I actually bought these a couple of months ago but only had them delivered recently. My first Christmas 2020 purchase.

Hi pigtail33, would you mind sharing the site you bought these cool bottles from? Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭pigtail33

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Hi pigtail33, would you mind sharing the site you bought these cool bottles from? Cheers:)

I ordered them from thebookpeople.co.uk back in March. The company had gone into receivership and all the stock was being sold off. They only cost 96p!! Unfortunately they're no longer taking orders anymore as all the stock sold out pretty quickly once it went so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I bought the OH a dyson hair dryer. Its in a generic brown cardboard box so a photo will be boring. Not that hair dryers are exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ordered the first of the santa shop items over the weekend, havent arrived yet (first item due tomorrow) mentioned it on another thread but have to admit it did feel good to gte the ball rolling on the christmas shop.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

DvB wrote: »
    Ordered the first of the santa shop items over the weekend, havent arrived yet (first item due tomorrow) mentioned it on another thread but have to admit it did feel good to gte the ball rolling on the christmas shop.

Oh man I feel much slower this year but its harder as all my kids have gone past the toy stage, my 10 year old I think will want a electric scooter this year and doesn't like toys anymore but is still a believer.

Was in Smyths on Friday as Granny had given the Elves some money to spend. I heard a lot of 'I'm going to ask Santa for that' etc. I kept replying they are going to have to be seriously good then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I bought a box of Orange Spice tea, absolutely loving it. Brand is: Numi

otnomart wrote: »
    I bought a box of Orange Spice tea, absolutely loving it. Brand is: Numi

An early Christmas present to yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was in Smyths on Friday as Granny had given the Elves some money to spend. I heard a lot of 'I'm going to ask Santa for that' etc. I kept replying they are going to have to be seriously good then :)

My kids say this about literally everything...Ad on the telly "I'm asking Santa for that", child with a toy on the street "I'm asking Santa for that"....I reckon there will be a lot of "you didn't ask Santa for that, remember, you asked for XYZ" this year :rolleyes:

As of this evening we have just one gift left to close out the santa shop, pretty much in keeping with the timescale of previous years, so a big relief to get that boxed off already.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That's a brave approach DvB should some new toy come out in the meantime.

Jude13 wrote: »
    That's a brave approach DvB should some new toy come out in the meantime.

Have done the same every year Jude. Got stung years ago when they were v.young when we left it later to get the presents and couldn't get the one thing our little lady wanted and the disappointment on her face on Christmas morning is not something we ever wanted to repeat.
    To be fair to both of them, they tend to know early doors what they want and rarely swerve from that which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

As of this evening we have just one gift left to close out the santa shop, pretty much in keeping with the timescale of previous years, so a big relief to get that boxed off already.

Same, only have one Christmas present left for the 4 year old to pick up. 1 year old is done. All nieces, nephews, friends' kids, kids' friends, etc are also done.

Only have adults left to buy for now which are to be honest way harder (and much less fun) than buying for kids.

Same, only have one Christmas present left for the 4 year old to pick up. 1 year old is done. All nieces, nephews, friends' kids, kids' friends, etc are also done.

Only have adults left to buy for now which are to be honest way harder (and much less fun) than buying for kids.

Vouchers!

We actually stopped getting gifts for our siblings, we just get stuff for the nieces & nephews across both mine & my wife's family. Takes a lot of the hassle out of it & it was something everyone agreed to readily!

We both get our mum & dad gifts though (hard to know what to get them nowadays though), usually something small and then give them vouchers as the costly part so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I only have my dad and sister bought for...still a lot left to do!

Thought I'd pop this here as her gift packs are fab and are great for neighbours or to add as part of a larger present to family :) Or as a 'me present', which I often treat myself to :Dhttps://bigredkitchen.ie/shop

Agree, buying for the various children is the easy/fun part, for the adults not so much.

Due to birthdays in Sept/Oct we usually dont buy the Christmas presents till after they are done howevr have been putting out feelers already so have a few ideas.

We usually get a weekend away for my folks and then one other present each, if it an expensive one (last year was Lego train for my Dad) then my siblings and I go together to get it.

• Advertisement

Vouchers!

We actually stopped getting gifts for our siblings, we just get stuff for the nieces & nephews across both mine & my wife's family. T/akes a lot of the hassle out of it & it was something everyone agreed to readily!

We both get our mum & dad gifts though (hard to know what to get them nowadays though), usually something small and then give them vouchers as the costly part so to speak.

Parents are the big problem, never ever know what to get either my folks or the in laws. Vouchers won't get used and will sit in a drawer until they expire. Cash will illicit an awkward response and refusal to accept it. Same with ] thought out meaningful or useful gifts. Both my dad, and my mother in law are notoriously bad for leaving things in boxes for years and never using them even if they need them. Occasionally we'll fluke it one year and get someone something they'll actually like or at least use. But they're super hard to buy for. Food gifts sometimes go down well (though not always).

We don't buy my husband's siblings and partners anything, just their kids. Even token gifts are gone but I don't know if that was a temporary arrangement or the norm going forward (here's hoping).

As for my siblings, my brothers are usually easy to buy for as we share a lot of interests and I've been making them send me gift wishlists for birthdays/Christmas well in advance for the past couple of years so takes a little stress off. Tickets for things are usually a back up but I don't think i'll be going down that route this year...

Then there's the teacher/teaching assistant gifts etc which is always difficult too.

Oh but the biggest headache is figuring out what to get himself. If I ask he always a surprise or don't bother. Real helpful that! I was thinking of just getting him one 'main thing' and doing him a stocking with lots of useful bits and spend a bit more on that this year, but finding things to put in it is also a problem.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Agree, buying for the various children is the easy/fun part, for the adults not so much.

Due to birthdays in Sept/Oct we usually dont buy the Christmas presents till after they are done howevr have been putting out feelers already so have a few ideas.

We usually get a weekend away for my folks and then one other present each, if it an expensive one (last year was Lego train for my Dad) then my siblings and I go together to get it.

I wish I could just buy everyone toys! (But I don't think that'd go down to well :P )

One of our little ones has an end of September birthday I haven't finished getting things for but is totally sorted for Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

......and we're off!

First present bought, for the mother in law, will give on 1st December, think she'll like it as has stuff she can try out...

https://www.rituals.com/eng-ie/the-ritual-of-advent-exclusive-1111817.html?channable=00908b696400313131313831378a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7cOttP_j6wIVxO7tCh1XfwBBEAQYAiABEgKn1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh, that looks lovely! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i am buying my girlfriend a car so she can drive me to the bar
    as she does not drink and the cards always hide down the road especially at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I usually buy my parents a weekend away as the main gift but this year they definitely would feel very uneasy to go away (my mum's health ) so I've decided to get them a voucher for the company they get their home heating oil from. I know it's boring but I've a few smaller bits for them each too make up, chocs etc
    I don't do gifts with siblings or my nephews and niece I just go a bit bigger for birthdays and that's our agreement.
    It sounds so boring but since I'm paying my mortgage on my own now and also trying to save for a deposit for a new house when this one gets sold it's actually a weight off to not have to do all the sibling/niece/nephews ones and just concentrate on a decent one for mam and Dad

Having to buy a lot of presents at Christmas can be financially stressful. Most people have other commitments that don't just go away for a month!

Has always been a bit of bug bearer of mine that while we do Kris Kindle for the sibling adults on my side we buy for all the adults on my wife's side. However yesterday we are chatting and they are coming round to the KK idea. I think house purchasing, back to college studying etc has made things a bit different this year.

To be honest, if i had my way i would only buy presents for the kids and only small token things for adults. Christmas hasn't been about getting presents for a longgggggg time.

I guess it depends on age, also number of siblings. I only have 1 sibling, we buy each other a pint as it was just a pain buying each other things. This also came about due to 2008/9 when that was all we could give. My OH's family do KK and its great, there is also a cap. Sure we are grown ups and only our OH's know what we need anyway.

I bought the OH a stocking filler today of Tibetan bowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

We buy for the kids and give a house pack of choccies/ biscuits/ wine or whatever tipple they like. Going to start the pack shopping soon as the offers disappear the closer you get to Christmas and this year I’m going to be well prepared.

• Advertisement

Yeah the kids get pressies, again we have a small family so it is easier. Though my OH's brothers are growing up so they will have their only family's in the future. The only issue I have at the moment is what lego to get them, everyone is lego mad.

Advertisement