Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    We had been set to give in & get my daughter a mobile (PAYG) as she spends so much time on tiktok, but their school sent out a letter outlining that a number of students were being affected negatively by social media & that these apps have a 13 year minimum age or suchlike. So we sat down & agreed that at just under 10 yo she was too young to have such a device and that we'd be better getting her something else. Sat her down, explained the situation, expecting tears & tantrums, & instead got a relatively calm response of okay, I really want a hover board anyway!!!

Anyway, went online last night, all out of stock, pre-ordered the one she wants but not due in stock again until the end of November!! Thats far tighter than we'd like as it brings back memories of being let down for her big gift when she was younger which we swore we didnt want to let happen again. So we're basically at the mercy of Smyths suppliers now!! Freely admit i'm a tad nervous!!

You might have to go back to the future to get one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

jellybear wrote: »
    Neighbours presents sorted. Ordered a few gift sets of jams, marmalades, dessert sauces etc from Big Red Kitchen. Trying to buy Irish gifts this year so these were perfect. Her stuff is delicious too which helps :D

I had never heard of this company, their stuff looks devine.

I'm the only one who ears chutney here so I don't usually buy any, as it usually gets dumped. I think I'll be treating myself to the cheese selection set, it's been a hard year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Ordering new chair covers for my mams dinning chairs, freshen the place up for Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I ordered two Max Benjamin diffusers online from Meadows and Byrne as presents. I had been looking for the white pomegranate in store but it seemed sold out.I got 15% off my first purchase so it wrote off the delivery and gave me a small discount. Felt good when I opened the package and it had a little note saying thank you for purchasing Irish products from an Irish store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I had never heard of this company, their stuff looks devine.

I'm the only one who ears chutney here so I don't usually buy any, as it usually gets dumped. I think I'll be treating myself to the cheese selection set, it's been a hard year :D

The lady who owns it is lovely, she's popped in a free brown bread mix to the last 2 orders I've made. I actually ordered the chutney set for my bestie :D

She actually told me she'll be doing an offer soon if you sign up to her newsletter on her website you'll get it ;)

Our Smyths order arrived today so that's our little boy and nephew sorted :)

The lady who owns it is lovely, she's popped in a free brown bread mix to the last 2 orders I've made. I actually ordered the chutney set for my bestie :D

She actually told me she'll be doing an offer soon if you sign up to her newsletter on her website you'll get it ;)

Our Smyths order arrived today so that's our little boy and nephew sorted :)

Oh must sign up for that.

Don't talk to me about smyths, I planned to do that as soon as they went back to school but I procrastinated too much... Now look where we are.

The danger of getting stuff in too early is you buy too much... That's how I'm consoling myself anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh must sign up for that.

Don't talk to me about smyths, I planned to do that as soon as they went back to school but I procrastinated too much... Now look where we are.

The danger of getting stuff in too early is you buy too much... That's how I'm consoling myself anyway :)

I'm lucky the boys I'm buying for will be 16 months and 1 year so online was easy and while my will power will definitely be tested not to buy more, I'll do my best :D

My nephew is actually 1 in early December so I'll have to pick up a few bits. Thinking of Christmas pjs and maybe a Christmas jumper...his dad is a big Christmas fan so he'll appreciate that!

Still waiting for Dunnes to put their Christmas stock online. They always have fab pieces :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Received a lovely personalized wooden tray for Santy with the smallies name on it. Had a little place for milk, cookies and carrots to leave you. Also got a lovely reindeer with ‘Christmas at the PC’s’ on it, Irish business, highly recommend

https://craftshapesireland.ie/

I'm lucky the boys I'm buying for will be 16 months and 1 year so online was easy and while my will power will definitely be tested not to buy more, I'll do my best :D

My nephew is actually 1 in early December so I'll have to pick up a few bits. Thinking of Christmas pjs and maybe a Christmas jumper...his dad is a big Christmas fan so he'll appreciate that!

Still waiting for Dunnes to put their Christmas stock online. They always have fab pieces :)

Yeah we're lucky that the 5yo still doesn't understand the concept of asking santa for stuff (we're awful parents and never brought him to santa) so we can still do a "big surprise" on any of the stock left in smyths :)

I would work close to grafton Street usually so the Disney store was raided at least once a week on my lunch break, I'm going to miss that. Also nipping into marks and getting "adult" chocolates..... Christmas shopping this year will be strange, but we'll muddle through

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Received a lovely personalized wooden tray for Santy with the smallies name on it. Had a little place for milk, cookies and carrots to leave you. Also got a lovely reindeer with ‘Christmas at the PC’s’ on it, Irish business, highly recommend

https://craftshapesireland.ie/

Thank you for sharing this link, I've been thinking about having something custom made to mark someone's first Christmas in heaven and this shop has exactly what I'm looking for. They have some really lovely stuff, and it's great that they're an Irish business too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’d really recommend Totally Toys in Castlebar. I’ll be ordering from them for Christmas after a brilliant experience with them. I’m in Kildare, garage arrived in less than 48hrs and personalised email checking all was in order afterwards. Very impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I ordered these sort of cupboards for the kitchen. (They should fit) Well it's part of my decorating plan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

kitten_k wrote: »

I've found it on Amazon and the reviews aren't great (songs not recognizable), also cheaper on amazon if you want to risk it as free shipping for Prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just ordered this from eBay since finding stock was tough. I cannot wait to make coffee with it the minute it arrives

Christmas Tree Double Walled Glass Cups Coffee Mugs (10oz) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJY8YJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_vqDGFbV8BGB3E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not a purchase as such but the better half arrived home with the M&S Christmas catalogue. I've just finished drooling over the food..

Heroditas wrote: »
    Not a purchase as such but the better half arrived home with the M&S Christmas catalogue. I've just finished drooling over the food..

The chocolate pine cones look delicious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Heroditas wrote: »

Going to get a catalogue tomorrow whilst picking up a kids bike in the shopping centre. Reading the catalogue on line isn't the same....

The prosecco pannacotta has been my favourite over the past few years....will it be repeated in 2020 lol....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The chocolate pine cones look delicious.

We had them last year. Underwhelmed, mostly as they were quite rich and also quite big so couldn't finish

Going to get a catalogue tomorrow whilst picking up a kids bike in the shopping centre. Reading the catalogue on line isn't the same....

The prosecco pannacotta has been my favourite over the past few years....will it be repeated in 2020 lol....

Yeah me too online isn't the same..love browsing the food catalogues and gift guides :)

• Advertisement

Got two pals presents completely finished yesterday,
    Bought more loungewear for myself so roomy, soft and comfy

I will tackle the box room later put all the presents together is everything all over the place, I am dying to see wrapping paper in the shops, I am going to pick up my supplies early hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

SarahLil wrote: »
    Got two pals presents completely finished yesterday,
    Bought more loungewear for myself so roomy, soft and comfy

I will tackle the box room later put all the presents together is everything all over the place, I am dying to see wrapping paper in the shops, I am going to pick up my supplies early hopefully

The wrapping paper seems to be a bit slow this year in appearing!

Everything is very slow.. I think IMO
    I am raring to go :pac:

Boots catalogue is out now, hardly any stands with them in store- none at entry like normal, just the one by the checkouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I've seen it in a few places. Supervalu definitely have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I really liked the wrapping paper from Ikea last year. Really nice prints and 100% recyclable. I hope they do similar this year.

I really liked the wrapping paper from Ikea last year. Really nice prints and 100% recyclable. I hope they do similar this year.

They have some stuff out already

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/products/?q=christmas

Hoping they stock some in Carrickmines therefore saving a trip to the main store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

I've seen it in a few places. Supervalu definitely have it.

Was in M&S yesterday and had some boxes of the tubes. This was in Newbridge

Hoping they stock some in Carrickmines therefore saving a trip to the main store.

Ooh thanks! None of this stuff appeared when I entered "Christmas" into the search bar earlier today.

Carrickmines is closer for me too.

I really want to browse in ikea now.

• Advertisement

I really want to browse in ikea now.

You really don’t, it’s the one place I’ve Felt unsafe and I went late on a Monday night. I literally had someone on top of me trying to reach into the same box as me, avoid at al costs if you can.

You really don’t, it’s the one place I’ve Felt unsafe and I went late on a Monday night. I literally had someone on top of me trying to reach into the same box as me, avoid at al costs if you can.

During Covid, I've placed a few orders with them and collected from Carrickmines for 15 euros. They bring the order outside to you. I might do the same for Christmas stuff.

That sounds like every supermarket trip for me.

Bring under 5 foot alot of people think its OK to just stretch to the shelf above you.

But no I can't see me going into any brick and mortar stores, with the exception of supermarkets.

During Covid, I've placed a few orders with them and collected from Carrickmines for 15 euros. They bring the order outside to you. I might do the same for Christmas stuff.

Yeah us too, has been v handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Got a couple things for the husband at the weekend, he's probably about 70% done at this stage. Still need to do his stocking, perhaps get him 1 other thing as a present and get him a gift from the kids but getting there.

Picked up a few books from Amazon and Newbridge book mark for my mum.

Got some personalised ornaments for extended family and friends gifts. Got one for one of my son's godmothers too but am unsure of how to personalise it, (separated, lives on her own but has 3 grown up children). Its one of those with the heads you write the names on I was thinking of just putting her name and my son's name on the heads or her name and her kids names on the heads (i ordered a 2 head and 4 head one) but I'm not sure on either.

Will be posting wrapped presents to nieces and nephews, godparents and some friends this year I think as the situation is still a bit iffy, so trying to making sure things don't weigh too much or are too bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Got one nephews present, Lego Advent calendar for my Dad and last few small things for Elf3.

Ticking away nicely and feeling much more organised that normal!

I ordered the traditional present I get my parents every year. I need to plan their main present next, not doing too bad so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Went a little Christmas mad over the last couple of weeks. Bought a new tree in Arnotts after years of trying to find one that we like. Got my sister slippers and this book which she'll love. Good price from an Irish shop too. Got my husband's main present. My nephew wants something from Ikea so we took a trip there and I ended up buying a little tree for my desk seeing as there will be no office to decorate this year. Also got this cute tealight holder and a couple of stars to put in the window.

vinter-2020-tealight-holder-white__0890983_PE782217_S5.JPG?f=s

strala-lamp-shade-printed-lace-white__0800055_PE767745_S5.JPG?f=s

I ordered my favourite Christmas candle from Allotment too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooh, they're lovely, Toto!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I've ordered a few of these. I like that they aren't the "personalized" decorations where someone writes on them with a black marker! And they are an Irish company too.
    https://craftshapesireland.ie/product/personalised-sparkle-merry-christmas-plaque-with-lights/

I've ordered a few of these. I like that they aren't the "personalized" decorations where someone writes on them with a black marker! And they are an Irish company too.
    https://craftshapesireland.ie/product/personalised-sparkle-merry-christmas-plaque-with-lights/
    Yeah I’ve ordered one too, also got the Santy tray and one of the deers. Really fab stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Strange question in relation to this, what does the sign in the pictures say "Christmas at the ....."

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Jude13 wrote: »
    Strange question in relation to this, what does the sign in the pictures say "Christmas at the ....."

Think it says "Christmas at the Porters"

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

I bought a Christmas tree from Littlewoods. I had to check it out to make sure it was ok - in case it needed to be returned. So I had to make it up...its lovely. It took me ages to fluff it out and I couldn't bear to take it down and put back in the box, so I've put it into the spare room waiting to be decorated...every time I walk into the spare room and see it, it cheers me up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Kdylass wrote: »
    I bought a Christmas tree from Littlewoods. I had to check it out to make sure it was ok - in case it needed to be returned. So I had to make it up...its lovely. It took me ages to fluff it out and I couldn't bear to take it down and put back in the box, so I've put it into the spare room waiting to be decorated...every time I walk into the spare room and see it, it cheers me up...

We got our main one from littlewoods about 5 years ago now and its fantastic, we absolutely love it. Not everyone's cup of tea (its black) but its so full & realistic when fully fluffed up so to speak. Superb quality too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Bwah hah ha, great excuse. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭DvB

WFH today & two deliveries received, Opened one of them & it was one of my wife's gifts to me for Christmas, never seen her move so fast to grab it off me when she copped what it was... was addressed to me so what was I to do :D

She proudly declared she had everything for me now, whilst I have the sum totla of zero for her so far :o
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

kitten_k wrote: »

Cool

Lovely bits on that site, Christmas bed linen is so cute

• Advertisement
Advertisement