Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

SarahLil wrote: »
    I am having a successful Rudolph Day shopping, just bought my Christmas bed linen, some hand towels and some spare candles from Irish Retailers
    Woohoo its getting real!

Any links to shop suggestions? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I am having a successful Rudolph Day shopping, just bought my Christmas bed linen, some hand towels and some spare candles from Irish Retailers
    Woohoo its getting real!

My Mrs bought new bed linen online last night, including a new christmas set for our bed. Not quite as colourful as the last set but still quite christmassy.

She also asked if I'd like a set of Peaky Blinders bed linene as my present from her this year... I must admit I was tempted, but probably a little old for TV themed bedrooms at this stage :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh I love the Christmas fleece throws. I wonder how big they are on a bed? I’ll have to get my measuring tape out!

Oh I love the Christmas fleece throws. I wonder how big they are on a bed? I’ll have to get my measuring tape out!

Me too always have to do that for shopping online :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Just FYI, the McIlhenny's bedding is considerably cheaper on Amazon

Caranica wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up I am just trying to do my fair share of shopping with Irish retailers where I can...keep everyone Happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks for the heads up I am just trying to do my fair share of shopping with Irish retailers where I can...keep everyone Happy

Oh absolutely, I do that where I can, mostly clothes. However I also can't afford to pay over the odds so I always check the alternatives too and where there's a big difference I can't justify it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Caranica wrote: »

Amazon is very good price wise for most Christmas homeware.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Amazon is very good price wise for most Christmas homeware.

I do agree with Sarahlil’s approach. Buy local this year is more important than ever this year.

Yes it’s more expensive but you’re keeping local families employed and more dinners on tables and presents under the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I try and buy local as much as possible, there has to be a pretty big price difference for me to buy online.

Like, for cosmetics, I will often use Look Fantastic instead of Arnotts or BT- something that is €70 in Arnotts might be €57 on Look Fantastic, and I just can't justify paying that much extra, especially if I'm buying a few things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

I was reading the chat thread so naturally I’m here looking up reviews for the best snow spray for internal windows at 6:20am.

I knew this was a bad idea!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was reading the chat thread so naturally I’m here looking up reviews for the best snow spray for internal windows at 6:20am.
    I knew this was a bad idea!

Or the best idea.....

Loughc wrote: »
    Or the best idea.....

Definitely. :) Been talking to the wife about Christmas this morning. Really can’t wait for it this year. Going to plan a day out at the markets for ourselves. Think they’re going ahead.

My other half has been doing the shopping since lock down because of my health reasons and my mams as I am all she has, I write the list weekly yesterday I said to him we haven’t much this week so why don’t you stock up on some wine for Christmas, he actually listened and came home with it I think I am converting him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Pretty much finished the Xmas shopping for the kids this weekend. Smyths online, Amazon and Book Depository. Mainly Lego! Both Smyths & Amazon had great offers this weekend, approximately 20% off most sets. Just need to get chocolate and candy canes etc for their stockings.
    Still have the rest of my shopping to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went to shopping centers today for the first time in months. I was hoping to get a few things for my mother for Christmas but my father tagged along and he sorts of needs to be minded so I didn't get anything really in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just bought my mother a Tipperary Crystal Handbag. She's very hard to please. Everything is either to big or small. It's not really a Christmas present but it's somewhere for her to keep a spare mask, hand gel, etc.

When I was on their website I noticed they had Christmas stock.

https://www.tipperarycrystal.ie/christmas/decorations/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8MD7BRArEiwAGZsrBaYfBM_dkdIlyHp8Xn9VRAtYaGi2KiQGaFiDvtPnaIeUj0TDhBkOixoCXDYQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Pretty much finished the Xmas shopping for the kids this weekend. Smyths online, Amazon and Book Depository. Mainly Lego! Both Smyths & Amazon had great offers this weekend, approximately 20% off most sets. Just need to get chocolate and candy canes etc for their stockings.
    Still have the rest of my shopping to do though.

Same. Have to pick up the last of the kids things later and that is them all sort, pretty much. Still deciding on a bike for Elf1 so need to make a final decision soon as kids bikes seem to be hard to come by.

Smyths aren't doing there usual sale however some things seemed to be a lot cheaper this weekend so we picked up what we wanted. Was in The Works as well so got some more books as well. Just a few stocking fillers to get now.

OH's main presents sorted as well, so feeling a lot more organised this year.

Other main presents for adults will most likely be vouchers or weekend away for folks (maybe!).

Just need to get stuff for 2 nephews and 1 niece and all done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We've a few small stocking fillers & gifts for one another (i.e myself & the Mrs) & other than that are done. But the stocking fillers are the little bits we like to pick up on the build up so dont mind that at all. Like every other year the Mrs 'surprise' will be the tricky one.

As restrictions are likely to get tougher rather than better for Christmas (hoping its not the case but best be prepared) its looking increasingly like a christmas at home with just the 4 of us & no guests for dinner etc. so the spend for the food & drink side of things should be less this year too, with social events unlikely either I doubt we'll be buying much in the way of new clothes either (unless we see some real bargains) so despte wanting to go OTT a tad to make up for the year its been I suspect it'll be mostly just the 4 of us making our own christmas family fun. Normally Christmas for us is a great big family affair so that will be unusual in itself, but we both agreed on Saturday night its an opportunity to do something smaller & memorable too so we may as well enjoy it for what it is. Hoping its a crisp dry christmas so we can get out for some nice walks etc. now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    We've a few small stocking fillers & gifts for one another (i.e myself & the Mrs) & other than that are done. But the stocking fillers are the little bits we like to pick up on the build up so dont mind that at all. Like every other year the Mrs 'surprise' will be the tricky one.

As restrictions are likely to get tougher rather than better for Christmas (hoping its not the case but best be prepared) its looking increasingly like a christmas at home with just the 4 of us & no guests for dinner etc. so the spend for the food & drink side of things should be less this year too, with social events unlikely either I doubt we'll be buying much in the way of new clothes either (unless we see some real bargains) so despte wanting to go OTT a tad to make up for the year its been I suspect it'll be mostly just the 4 of us making our own christmas family fun. Normally Christmas for us is a great big family affair so that will be unusual in itself, but we both agreed on Saturday night its an opportunity to do something smaller & memorable too so we may as well enjoy it for what it is. Hoping its a crisp dry christmas so we can get out for some nice walks etc. now.

We were just saying the same yesterday.

Was Elf1's birthday over the weekend and no party with school friends, cousins etc. Grandparents came over and we sat in garden and did some cake.

Gave us a bit of an insight to what Christmas will most likely be like and while it might not be what we want, like you guys we will make the best of it and enjoy the time anyway.

Got an email from Christmas Island, the last couple of years we have gone all together with my family and stayed in my sisters place as is near by. This year they are only allowing immediate families to go together. Also unlikely we would be able to have 4 different households in the same place so looks like that weekend is out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭caddy16

Has anyone any feedback on lights4fun. Considering ordering outdoor stuff from them through parcel motel?

I've not used them myself, but the Google reviews are good and their website is very good with a great range of products. I'd have no problem ordering from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone any idea where I might get a dolls pram suitable for a 6 year old? All the ones in Smyths are teeny tiny :( She's her heart set on a double pram

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where I might get a dolls pram suitable for a 6 year old? All the ones in Smyths are teeny tiny :( She's her heart set on a double pram

Couple of double ones here

https://www.duffystoyworld.net/DOLLS-PRAMS---FURNITURE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Got this fab Snapstars set in Jervis the other day for Christmas. I previously bought it for my daughters best friends birthday, and it was a huge hit.
    The hair is a wig which can be removed and camera has a real working led light in it. Great little set for the price. Its a possibility they are being discontinued as they are so cheap. Still avail in St.Stephens Green and Swords
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1377165/Trail/searchtext%3ESnapstars.htm

Sundew wrote: »
    Got this fab Snapstars set in Jervis the other day for Christmas. I previously bought it for my daughters best friends birthday, and it was a huge hit.
    The hair is a wig which can be removed and camera has a real working led light in it. Great little set for the price. Its a possibility they are being discontinued as they are so cheap. Still avail in St.Stephens Green and Swords
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1377165/Trail/searchtext%3ESnapstars.htm

That is some discount alright!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was in town yesterday, we're looking for a taller tree..either 8ft or 9ft.

Spotted a very nice one upstairs as you come off the escalator on the top floor....a nice price though €400 I think it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

TRS30 wrote: »

Got an email from Christmas Island, the last couple of years we have gone all together with my family and stayed in my sisters place as is near by. This year they are only allowing immediate families to go together. Also unlikely we would be able to have 4 different households in the same place so looks like that weekend is out :(

I didn't get the email and I've booked every year for about 4-5 years. I did see on their FB page that they are opening, and it'll be a reduced time slot about 50-60 minutes. The full details will be released on Friday. I don't think they'll be refunding though if it weren't to go ahead. I'll probably wait to closer to the time and see if we can get a local Santa, all going well. I presume it'll be the 2m rule when seeing Santa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Not working tomorrow so going to hit the shopping centre. I feel inspired to start browsing/shopping for Christmas.

Advertisement