Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Ahhh! I have 116! Really thought i'd be in batch 2... Batch 3 then. How long has stage 2 taken for Batch 1? I wonder would batch 3 be Halloween-ish??

Results for round 1 came out 7th July.

Batch 1 Dublin were told about round 2 on 9th July and had to complete their video interview between 10th and 16th July. The results came out on 20th August, five weeks after the window closed. Those who got through were informed of round 3 (the e-tray) on 25th August, and this had to be done between 1st and 4th September.

For those waiting in batch 2, the hope is that because people take annual leave in August, it might take less time to get results for round 2 in September/October! If we use the same timeframe as batch 1, results could be expected around 22nd October (right before a public holiday weekend, a PAS favourite!) with round 3 announced during the final week of October.

Guessing when a third batch will be called forward is tricky because it's based on demand for posts. Halloween is probably too ambitious, I'd say mid-November at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The Third Policeman

Will the regions come up at all I wonder. With this so called retirement cliff coming up it would be good to see some movement outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Just completed the video interviews - think I spoke way too fast and likely looked down at my notes too much. However, very much enjoyed being able to do an interview in shirt, jacket and shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Just did them as well. Absolutely cringed looking at myself in the review, stumbled a few times and didn't look confident. Would be very surprised if I made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

Just did them as well. Absolutely cringed looking at myself in the review, stumbled a few times and didn't look confident. Would be very surprised if I made it through.

I don't think you will be judged on how you looked or if you stumbled a couple of times - its more the content that will be key. I passed the video interview and can honestly say that I couldn't have looked more nervous in a crowded pub with people coughing in my face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Northern Sound

I would hope that they show a bit of common sense on the Video 3 minute answering. It is natural for interviewees to refer to notes. I got through it kind of ok but I was a bit unnerved by the countdown clock ticking in the last 10 seconds.

Apart from that Sonru is very user friendly video technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

what kind of questions are you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Glad to see that people used notes, was a bit nervous about using them but conscious I need to stay on track with only 3 mins! About to do it in the next half hour!

Tomjim wrote: »
    what kind of questions are you asked?

One on change management, another on leadership and the last one is decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Maybe shouldn't be admitting to this but if it helps someone else - I used my phone to record and had it propped up against my laptop with my notes right next to it; in my eye-line. I intended only to glance if I needed them to keep me on track or if I forgot a point but I ended up practically reading it word for word! Would have thought it would be super obvious but I passed so! Either they didn't notice or they didn't care because the content was good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Maybe shouldn't be admitting to this but if it helps someone else - I used my phone to record and had it propped up against my laptop with my notes right next to it; in my eye-line. I intended only to glance if I needed them to keep me on track or if I forgot a point but I ended up practically reading it word for word! Would have thought it would be super obvious but I passed so! Either they didn't notice or they didn't care because the content was good enough.

I just did the same thing a few minutes ago. Good know it didn’t affect the outcome 🀞

Completed! I had my notes in front of me and did look down a fair bit but hopefully it’ll be ok! Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

A word of advice, keep the notes you prepared for the video interview.
    If you are unsuccessful this time and undertake a similar competition in the future, at least you don't have to prepare three 3 min answers from scratch. (Hopefully similar questions will arise).

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

Can I ask those that were successful in their video interview a question?

I have two managers looking over my prepared answers and both with very different approaches. One believes my answers should flow more organically whilst the other thinks you only have 3 minutes its more about content.

What approach did others take?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Honestly - somewhere in between both of those suggestions. For sure it's primarily about content but I do think a logical flow to your examples or experience helps.

On another note, those of us waiting for e-tray results... am I bonkers hoping they'll be out today? I know it's anyone's guess really. Answering my own question here!

MrsBean wrote: »

On another note, those of us waiting for e-tray results... am I bonkers hoping they'll be out today? I know it's anyone's guess really. Answering my own question here!

Indeed answered your own question!! No idea - I try to forget about it entirely once it's done! Easier said than done though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just back from my internal AP interview. Found it awful, the worst of 4 AP interviews I've done. The board had been chopped and changed a couple of times I the last few days and I felt the interview had no structure at all. Didn't ask about my experience or education, just said "we read your form" and started straight into questioning.

One board member scoffed twice at something I said and rolled her eyes another time. I don't care if she disagreed with me but I found that very unprofessional. Add to this the fact that it was a video interview with slight delay, glitches, and it was near impossible to build up any rapport. Anyway, an interview to forget.

Anyway, I just found out this evening I passed the above worst ever interview I've had. Second interview and presentation this Friday in person in Dublin. I'm in the west and to be honest I'd prefer not to have to go to Dublin what with level 3 restrictions and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Anyway, I just found out this evening I passed the above worst ever interview I've had. Second interview and presentation this Friday in person in Dublin. I'm in the west and to be honest I'd prefer not to have to go to Dublin what with level 3 restrictions and all.

wow fair play to you! hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

wow they don't give much notice do they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

crinkley wrote: »
    wow they don't give much notice do they

No, the whole campaign has been very strange. Short notice and insisting I travel to Dublin when the public health advice differs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

When do people think the Etray results will be out ?

Batch 1, Stage 3 (e-tray) results have just been issued According to the message - The maximum score in each competencies is 5 and the qualifying score is 3. The competencies are Leadership, Analysis & Decision Making, Management & Delivery of Results, Interpersonal & Communications Skills, Drive & Commitment.

I've made the qualifying score - don't know how! Updates on the next stage by Friday at the latest.

InsideEdge wrote: »
    Batch 1, Stage 3 (e-tray) results have just been issued According to the message - The maximum score in each competencies is 5 and the qualifying score is 3. The competencies are Leadership, Analysis & Decision Making, Management & Delivery of Results, Interpersonal & Communications Skills, Drive & Commitment.

I've made the qualifying score - don't know how! Updates on the next stage by Friday at the latest.

Also passed - can't believe it! Gut feeling was that hadn't gone well.

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Also passed - can't believe it! Gut feeling was that hadn't gone well.

Well done! I had the same feeling - it was a very weird exercise and I wasn't confident at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

There must have been some very sympathetic assessors as I also reached the qualifying mark, despite feeling I had completely blown it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Also astounded to have reached the qualifying mark. Was sure I'd missed something important in e-tray. Time to get prepping for interview!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have to repeat the video interview due to unspecified quality issues. But given that my first answer wouldn't play back upon completion, I imagine that that is why. The technology platform seems to be reasonably unreliable, as this has happened to others already...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Um... this Sonru website. Adobe Flash? Really? Getting Flash to install and play nice with Chrome is proving... interesting. Did anyone else do the video interviews on a PC? Any tips - different browser, and what works well if so?

Um... this Sonru website. Adobe Flash? Really? Getting Flash to install and play nice with Chrome is proving... interesting. Did anyone else do the video interviews on a PC? Any tips - different browser, and what works well if so?

I found it easier to use my mobile phone and the app.

• Advertisement

I used my phone as well, the sound quality was better when I did the practice, also put my earphones in to help.

That’s great news the first batch of e-tray results are out already, was that only 2 weeks wait then? Well done everyone who got through, hopefully the second batch will be out next week as well!

Advertisement