Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

poundhound wrote: »
    The sooner the better. I was extremely disappointed and angry with myself after my exercise. I didn't deal with all the e-mails and I know I neglected one high priority item.
    In fairness, I felt dejected after the numerical reasoning psychometric test but passed. My only hope is that a minimum mark of 40% is also required in the etray.

It's the hope that kills.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Its a compliment on yourself to get this far regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Just got a message to complete the video interview! I wasn't expecting this for months. Window of completion starts tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Just got an invitation to stage 2 - online video interview. They seem to be moving quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

Just got an invitation to stage 2 - online video interview. They seem to be moving quickly.

Do you mind saying what was your order or merit, just to understand how far I am? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

now i have to trawl back through pages of what the video interview was about for those that took it in the first batch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

now i have to trawl back through pages of what the video interview was about for those that took it in the first batch..

you can also use the 'search this thread' function...
    video interview is what it says on the tin. you are given 3 Qs to answer in advance. then given a log in to website to record your answers. 3 mins per Q.

Milenauno wrote: »
    Do you mind saying what was your order or merit, just to understand how far I am? Thanks

No problem, my OOM is 408

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

Are the people who got invites on a dublin list or country?

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Are the people who got invites on a dublin list or country?

I’m Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Got mine as well, Dublin too.

Would be great to hear what kind of questions were asked? Really nervous to do this now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

Thanks for that .... just thought I'd been skipped. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Got mine as well, Dublin too.

Would be great to hear what kind of questions were asked? Really nervous to do this now!

The questions are already given to us in the pre-test information booklet. Seems to be calling people who have chosen Dublin and Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Oh brilliant, the booklet isn’t opening properly on my phone, will have to look earlier! Didn’t realise we got them in advance, thought we’d log in and have to answer and record on the spot, I did on a few months ago like that. That’s great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 collywobbles1

No problem, my OOM is 408

Can I ask is that OOM on the Open or Interdepartmental?

Can I ask is that OOM on the Open or Interdepartmental?

Open

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Open

What OOM did they call up to this time?

Any movement on a batch 2 for Interdepartmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Next batch is score of 120.

Steamer wrote: »

Seems low for a batch 2 doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

lucat wrote: »
    Seems low for a batch 2 doesn't it?
    Yeah it does, must have been based on the amount of people they can take with all the online processes. Hopefully Batch 3 for me, whenever that might be! Spring next year perhaps unless they choose a lower number for the regions.

• Advertisement

Yeah it does, must have been based on the amount of people they can take with all the online processes. Hopefully Batch 3 for me, whenever that might be! Spring next year perhaps unless they choose a lower number for the regions.

It's possible they are restricted in numbers they can take forward due to Covid, so there will be more batches over a longer period of time...? Either way I'm in the 700's so I'm not holding out much hope!

Have to do a second video interview (same format) this week for SEO Local Authority - the joys!

3 minutes seems like a lifetime when you are doing it!

anyone know if there is a break after each one on the video interview or do they go right through ie you keep talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

anyone know if there is a break after each one on the video interview or do they go right through ie you keep talking.

About a minute or a minute and a half in between as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Ahhh! I have 116! Really thought i'd be in batch 2... Batch 3 then. How long has stage 2 taken for Batch 1? I wonder would batch 3 be Halloween-ish??

Ahhh! I have 116! Really thought i'd be in batch 2... Batch 3 then. How long has stage 2 taken for Batch 1? I wonder would batch 3 be Halloween-ish??

Batch 1 was 126+, batch 2 120-125 presumably, so batch 3 may well be 115 - 119, and batch 4 110 - 114.

I'm 111 so hopefully there is a batch 4!

I know this is about the Open but has there been any movement on the InterD? Is that still on batch 1?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place/person who does training for Verbal? It used to be my strongest area but I've become complacent with it over the years and now it's my weakest!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Also, can anyone recommend a good place/person who does training for Verbal? It used to be my strongest area but I've become complacent with it over the years and now it's my weakest!

I can only add my own opinion on these tests. Coming from a science/maths background, I always scored highly in numerical. I never read in my free time so verbal was sometimes a scrape of a pass.
    As cliched as it sounds, it is all about practice. Try and do a quick practice test in the morning, one at lunch and a couple in the evening if you have time. The difficult part is the difference between false and cannot say. Only select false if the statement is incorrect. If there is any doubt about the statement, select cannot say.
    And repeat, and repeat...

delricyo wrote: »
    I can only add my own opinion on these tests. Coming from a science/maths background, I always scored highly in numerical. I never read in my free time so verbal was sometimes a scrape of a pass.
    As cliched as it sounds, it is all about practice. Try and do a quick practice test in the morning, one at lunch and a couple in the evening if you have time. The difficult part is the difference between false and cannot say. Only select false if the statement is incorrect. If there is any doubt about the statement, select cannot say.
    And repeat, and repeat...

Oh I went to training 7 or 8 years ago and became really good. I definitely agree about 'false' vs 'cannot say' bit it's often trickier than that. The training I did was for EU civil servants in belgium but I'd like to do a similar one again here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Again only my own opinion but the verbal is my strongest; got a perfect score last time. I recommend always reading the statements/questions first and then you can scan the passage much quicker as you're focused on only the info you need.

And as other people said, if there's any doubt at all then it's 'cannot say'. Assume nothing. Make no inferences. It's only true if it absolutely must be true based on the passage, and same with false.

After that it is practice, but I'd say much of reading for pleasure is practice. The faster you can read while still absorbing the info the more time you have to think.

Advertisement