Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30kph coming to Dublin road near you? (note warning in post #254)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Duckjob wrote: »
    Our planners unfortunately still seem quite blind to the benefits of adding complexity to streets in built up areas, street furniture, chicanes, raised junctions, noisy paving etc. I think their eyes are opening to be, albeit slowly.

The funny thing is, they dont need to guess and experiment with what actually works. Just copy-and-paste from the Dutch! They are jedis in traffic calming neigbourhoods and making their towns and cities much more pleasant places for a person to be.

I approve of the Dutch methods, instead of just blindly replacing a sign and claiming that driving at 45km/h is now dangerous on a road that had a 50km/h limit, they redesign the streetscape to reduce traffic and improve the public realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

liamog wrote: »
    I approve of the Dutch methods, instead of just blindly replacing a sign and claiming that driving at 45km/h is now dangerous on a road that had a 50km/h limit, they redesign the streetscape to reduce traffic and improve the public realm.

Agree, And physically forcing slowing speeds is not the only effect.

Those streetscapes psychologically encourage people to drive in a calmer and more measured manner too. Visit any dutch town or city and you always can notice a generally calmness of driving style that you simple don't get here.

Conversely in ireland our roads in built up areas clearly give out the opposite vibe to motorists. Little wonder people driving struggle with adhering to a 30kph /50kph and can't manage to stay still at a red light when everything about the road screams out "GO GO GO ! THE ROADS ARE FOR YOU ALONE!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Those streetscapes psychologically encourage people to drive in a calmer and more measured manner too.

It's the same with those places where they done experiments where they removed all signage from village centres.

No road signs mean people were using their senses more (pedestrians and vehicles) and a lot fewer accidents instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Our planners unfortunately still seem quite blind to the benefits of adding complexity to streets in built up areas, street furniture, chicanes, raised junctions, noisy paving etc. I think their eyes are opening to be, albeit slowly.

The funny thing is, they dont need to guess and experiment with what actually works. Just copy-and-paste from the Dutch! They are jedis in traffic calming neigbourhoods and making their towns and cities much more pleasant places for a person to be.

The DMURS guidance supports that approach. Unfortunately, it is often ignored.
    https://www.dmurs.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dublin City Council plans for 30km/h limit despite opposition
    Dublin City Council plans to press ahead with making 30km/h the “default speed limit” across the city and suburbs despite public opposition to the move.

Results of a public consultation process, which will be presented to city councillors next week, show more than half of those who made submissions on the proposed traffic bylaws opposed the cut in speed limits.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-plans-for-30km-h-limit-despite-opposition-1.4340989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Typical Irish Times, burying the fact that there was 44% support for the plans.

Also it's sad how far down they include this important paragraph:
    An examination of international experience and the existing 30km/h limited areas in the city “recorded only positive outcomes in terms of this road safety objective”. Residents already living in a designated 30km/h area, signalled continued support for retaining the limit the council said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MJohnston wrote: »
    Typical Irish Times, burying the fact that there was 44% support for the plans.
    what do you mean 'burying' it? burying it by explicitly mentioning it in the article?

granted, the headline could have been 'nearly half of submissions supported it', but the choice as to how to present it (less than half positive/more than half negative) has to be made, and making that choice is not an act of bias in itself.

what do you mean 'burying' it? burying it by explicitly mentioning it in the article?

granted, the headline could have been 'nearly half of submissions supported it', but the choice as to how to present it (less than half positive/more than half negative) has to be made, and making that choice is not an act of bias in itself.

Burying it by not mentioning that fact until the 9th paragraph of the story.

There are 9 paragraphs mentioning opposition, 3 mentioning support.

Here's an easy way to present it—explain the breakdown of supportive/opposing submissions right at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Most of these forward thinking things have lots of opposition at the start, then people see the light and go quiet. Pedestrianisaton of Grafton st., electricity, mobile phone masts, the model T Ford, cycle paths, wind turbines, books, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Councillors will need to approve this....I'd imagine that could be a where this plan is scuppered...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Can we see a map somewhere of the proposed areas of affect? I think this is great news. I'm a motorist, not a cyclist but I do live in the city and 50kmh typically means drivers travel at 60kmh even in more residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

A blanket 30kmph speed limit is nonsense and doesn't take into account anything about the individual street or road. Wide, straight roads generally have no need for these kinds of restrictions. I'll admit there are some roads that need a 30kmph limit, but for the most part these are already in place.

most of the wide straight roads won't have the reductions.
    https://www.dublincity.ie/speedreview

if you click on the map, it'll download a high res PDF for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Yeah they're planning on the Cabra Road and Gardiner st @ 30km and these are main and wide roads in their own right. Not a fùcking chance this will be adhered to. They literally are making arse ended changes for the sake of it.

gardiner street? are you joking?
    it's 1km long. it's a max difference along the length of the street of about 45s, and that's if you get an unbroken run of green lights, and no other traffic delaying you.

cabra road is 1.5km long. 3 minutes at an unbroken 30km/h, 1m50s at 50km/h. again, that's assuming you get a clear run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

Motorists always want to abdicate responsibility for the fact that they’re driving something that’s incredibly dangerous to *everyone* else. If you’re driving a car, the responsibility is yours and yours alone to ensure you’re not endangering anyone. Stop trying to shirk that, stop trying to blame others for any selfishness you’ve displayed while driving.

Stop talking bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

eggy81 wrote: »
    Stop talking bollocks

Sterling point, that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The distance from O'Connell bridge to the top (furthest) part of Gardiner St is 1.3km.

Anyone who thinks a 50kph limit is appropriate on a street that close to the city centre needs their head examined.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Stop talking bollocks

Stop being selfish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can't believe I share the road with selfish drivers who think 50km/h is an appropriate speed for Gardiner Street.

The thing I found most surprising about this are the areas that are already 30kmh, I know I was ignorant of it. How will people be informed about these new speed limits and how will it be enforced?

Manion wrote: »
    How will people be informed about these new speed limits
    the new speed limit signs that will be installed, at a rough guess.
    Manion wrote: »
    how will it be enforced?
    it almost certainly won't be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There may be a push at the start but, no, it won't be widely enforced. No road traffic laws are.

However, it will bring the average speeds down. The average speed on urban arterial 50km/h roads now is 54km/h. If everyone still breaks the 30km/h speed limit but slows down enough so that the average speed is in the 40s, we still benefit. It can be lowered further with design changes which must come after the speed limit change.

Lowering the speed limits won't fix everything but it will set us on the right path. That's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The distance from O'Connell bridge to the top (furthest) part of Gardiner St is 1.3km.

Anyone who thinks a 50kph limit is appropriate on a street that close to the city centre needs their head examined.

Could say the same for those who want to ram arbitrary limits onto wide isle roads and main roads with no consideration for actual infrastructure or the fact this will be widely ignored expecially in the face of majority opposition to it.

Fact is the priority should be on improving infrastructure and traffic flow not lazy and half arsed solutions which wont be enforced properly anyways.

Most of my supportive submission on this was, and I think I’ve said this earlier in the thread, that the best way to enforce these new speed limits is to redesign the roads to make them inherently slower.

Road diets, as far as the eye can see, please.

Most of my supportive submission on this was, and I think I’ve said this earlier in the thread, that the best way to enforce these new speed limits is to redesign the roads to make them inherently slower.

Road diets, as far as the eye can see, please.

I'm not sure that's feasible given the area in scope. Seems like it would require dramatic investment at a time when even putting up signage of the existing limits seems not to be a priority.

AGS are not enforcing the current 30km/h limits:

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1301528624978440192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

AGS are not enforcing the current 30km/h limits:

Also - If I am reading #11 correctly, they cannot enforce the 5 axle ban unless they witness an HGV driving past the sign?

That's hilarious..

• Advertisement

yep, that's my understanding. a case of if a driver is stopped, they cannot prove the driver has driven past one of the signs.

Advertisement