Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily pv production

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Something going on at my place too. Solar readings dropped to 10w for about 10 minutes then stopped refreshing.

CCTV not connecting so the Internet seems down. But my friend is at the house and says that the power is on.

Just waiting for him to troubleshoot further for a tripped fuse or something.

That does sound odd but at the same time I've had random times where the ginlong app doesn't update for an hour or two. I'm pretty sure I saw a message on it this morning it was going to be down for maintenance at some point too.

Sorry to hear about the damage from the other poster above, ours survived the night fine but I was pretty nervous and will be again when we get proper red warning conditions in winter (wasn't too bad last night here really).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That does sound odd but at the same time I've had random times where the ginlong app doesn't update for an hour or two. I'm pretty sure I saw a message on it this morning it was going to be down for maintenance at some point too.

Yeah slow updating doesn't surprise me. But we had thunder and lightning, production dropped to 10w from 1.6kWh and then the updating stopped.

Plus when I tried to access the cameras at the house I was getting an offline error so I knew something was up.

All good now, just a tripped switch. Although it was down for an hour so probably lost me a solid 2kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

I literally just had this conversation with my insurance guy.
    He says that the installer should have liability insurance for when he installed them and that should be your first port of call.
    Secondary line would be to claim on your house policy, (if you have notified them you had them installed!).

The installer is covering the costs involved it appears. They were out today and it looks like the railings failed.

PS I'll be asking the question of my installer re damage too. All fine with us despite strong winds overnight but best to check anyway.

I'll also mention it to the house insurance folks.

KCross wrote: »
    When were they installed? I think you only recently had it done?

I'd be thinking that the installer made a mistake. I'd start with them before you decide to claim against your own insurance.

I know it was a bad storm but they shouldnt fly off for that storm if they were fixed to the roof properly. It might just be that one or two of the panels were not correctly tightened and they just wriggled loose.

the damage is to the railings, it looks like they are warped and the panel brackets pulled out. They are fixing it, theres a 10 year warranty on railings, mine lasted 6 weeks!

davpower wrote: »
    The installer is covering the costs involved it appears. They were out today and it looks like the railings failed.

Great news. I take it the 2 panels that came off are shattered?

Also, summer is back baby!

523627.jpg

Great news. I take it the 2 panels that came off are shattered?

one is, the other survived the fall but they're replacing it. Two others on the same string that remained on roof are been replaced to and the wires were pulled as the other two came down.

Pulling 4.5kw at the minute, battery can't handle that much at a time so the hot water is getting a wee top up too.

The Solis app shows the full generation. The myenergi app is the generation minus what the battery is getting.

523631.jpg

523632.jpg

7.3kWh so far today despite a 1 hour power cut at peak time.

• Advertisement

one is, the other survived the fall but they're replacing it. Two others on the same string that remained on roof are been replaced to and the wires were pulled as the other two came down.

That's great. Good to know that an honest installer won't quibble on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

the damage is to the railings, it looks like they are warped and the panel brackets pulled out. They are fixing it, theres a 10 year warranty on railings, mine lasted 6 weeks!

Why did they warp though.
    I'd say they made a mistake somewhere and the railing might have warped as the panel came loose and pulled the railings.

I'd have a chat with the guy fixing it and see if you can get some more info from them. Its fine to fix it this time but will they be as forthcoming in 5 years time when another Ophelia/Ellen arrives? Satisfy yourself that its done right.

Hopefully you get sorted quickly... holes in the roof are never a good thing and why I'd never do a DIY job on my slate roof. Make a mistake and you have an expensive problem on your hands.

Why did they warp though.
    I'd say they made a mistake somewhere and the railing might have warped as the panel came loose and pulled the railings.

I'd have a chat with the guy fixing it and see if you can get some more info from them. Its fine to fix it this time but will they be as forthcoming in 5 years time when another Ophelia/Ellen arrives? Satisfy yourself that its done right.

Hopefully you get sorted quickly... holes in the roof are never a good thing and why I'd never do a DIY job on my slate roof. Make a mistake and you have an expensive problem on your hands.

The engineer had a look and one of the end clamps failed which pulled out of railing. Once one failed the wind lifted the panel and warped the railing which allowed further clamps to come loose pulling the remaining panels in a domino effect. All panels have been removed and slates fixed, new panels ordered and should be installed next week.

Still working from string 1 of panels which is 3.7kw so produced 12.60kwh so far today which is not bad considering all the rain down here.

A mad day today consisting of gale force winds, torrential rain and bursts of blazing sunshine.

Still pulling in 700w at the minute, and 17kWh so far today.

Well after a fine run, 12, 12, 18, 20Kwh...

Back to earth with a storming 7kWh so far today.

Today will be good. Weather is to be pish for the rest of the week so this may be my last solid day for August.

524080.jpg

The 9 panels on garage are already pulling in 1.35 so once that sun gets over the top of the house to the bigger array, scorchio...

Oil is off since last night so plenty of water to heat. Washing machine is on a timer and due on in the next 10 minutes. Dishwasher is loaded and ready to roll by WiFi switch this afternoon.

Only downside is that I'm out for dinner after work so I probably won't be home until 7pm, not much excess left for the car at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

I'm curious as to what the peak current on any string is. Mine is east west and I'm not sure when if ever you see a 10 amp peak. Are STD conditions only in a lab.Solar production.jpg
    524110.jpg

Sorry guys. I need a lesson in how to embed pictures in a post rather than just attach? OK found a way to do it but its a double step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You will never get the peak amps (10-11A) for an east or west facing string. For a south facing string like mine (I have a west one too), I get it all the time when the sky is blue around the mid day hours and not just in summer either.

Record breaking day today, lol. Didn't even break 3kWh.

Cheers storm whateveritscalled.

Also had huge consumption, running around 800w all day long. I think I've narrowed it down to the septic tank pump which is presumably being flooded due to the rain.

Also got my first post-solar bill. For the 2 months ending August 18th so only about half post solar.

This period last year was €193. This time €146.

Also had huge consumption, running around 800w all day long. I think I've narrowed it down to the septic tank pump which is presumably being flooded due to the rain.

Dont let the council hear you saying that! ;)

Your pump will burn out if you let that continue to happen, not to mind the 24/7 electricity!

Dont let the council hear you saying that! ;)
    Eh?

Your pump will burn out if you let that continue to happen, not to mind the 24/7 electricity!
    If it is the pump, (and I'm not 100% yet) then it's been an ongoing issue for as long as we've lived here, 8 years so far.

It has also settled down since around 3pm. Currently 600w even with the aquarium lights, TV, house lights etc.

• Advertisement

Eh?

Way off topic but you should not have rainwater flooding your septic tank. That would be a pollution concern as far as the council are concerned.

Well I'm entirely baffled by the mystery power drain. The house is now bouncing around from 0.9 to 1.3 which is much higher than normal. I've ruled out the septic tank, I knocked off the fuse and left it off for a few minutes with no impact on the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

I got 5.5kwh to.
    Really having bad days this past while

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

Made 6.6Kwh today on a 2.4KwP east west split in Cork

Well I'm entirely baffled by the mystery power drain. The house is now bouncing around from 0.9 to 1.3 which is much higher than normal.

Water pump kicking in/out maybe?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

5.6kwh today. 3.7KWp, SW facing

Water pump kicking in/out maybe?

But why?

Still at it overnight, draw is about 500w all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

But why?

It must be your cats.;)
    Managed 4.9kwh here in the rain yesterday.

rx8 wrote: »
    It must be your cats.;)
    Managed 4.9kwh here in the rain yesterday.

Wee shytes are all on their laptops plotting global domination...

I ended up on 2.9kWh yesterday. Down from 19.6kWh the previous day.

But why?

Leak?

• Advertisement

Bizarrely it seems to be back to normal today, around 250-300w all morning.

Typical that when I'm at work it went nuts, ow I'm at home to test it and it's normal.

On the plus side I've generated almost as much by 10am as I did by 5pm yesterday.

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    My documents went in 22 days ago no word from the seai yet.
    Let me know how you get on.

My grant claim has changed to paid today. Rang them as I haven't been paid but I'm in the next payment run.

Better day today, just over 20kWh.

Got home just in time to put 2.5kWh into the car before the sun faded.

11kwh today

Better day today, just over 20kWh.

Am I the only one starting to think this climate change thing is leading Donegal to be the new "Sunny North West"? :p

unkel wrote: »
    Am I the only one starting to think this climate change thing is leading Donegal to be the new "Sunny North West"? :p

Not on the 25th it wasn't.

524630.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

A few great numbers there Phil, getting on for 40kwh some of the time. It's a pity so much goes back to the grid for free. :(

Not on the 25th it wasn't.

Class setup!

Now what do you say to the people who recommended you install a very large PV array?

unkel wrote: »
    Class setup!

Now what do you say to the people who recommended you install a very large PV array?

Did anyone recommend that? I thought the general concensus was that 4kwp was plenty!

• Advertisement

rx8 wrote: »
    A few great numbers there Phil, getting on for 40kwh some of the time. It's a pity so much goes back to the grid for free. :(

Working on improving that though. Dishwasher is now on the WiFi switch that the immersion used to be. The Eddi is working well. Tumble dryer is smart enabled for remote activation.

And I have cunning plans for the future of my battery storage...

My grant claim has changed to paid today. Rang them as I haven't been paid but I'm in the next payment run.

Nice one. Did you just log in and it stated paid?
    Or did you get an email?
    I still haven't heard anything its just over a month now eeeeek

Working on improving that though. Dishwasher is now on the WiFi switch that the immersion used to be. The Eddi is working well. Tumble dryer is smart enabled for remote activation.

And I have cunning plans for the future of my battery storage...

How does the dishwasher and dryer work in reality though?

If you cut them off mid cycle and then fire them up again do they continue from where they were?

Also, not sure whether that would even make sense for a dryer as it would lose the heat it had built up before you cut it off. Just not convinced those appliances are suitable for on/off switching to suit PV unless there is some new tech built in there?

How does the dishwasher and dryer work in reality though?

If you cut them off mid cycle and then fire them up again do they continue from where they were?

Also, not sure whether that would even make sense for a dryer as it would lose the heat it had built up before you cut it off. Just not convinced those appliances are suitable for on/off switching to suit PV unless there is some new tech built in there?

The dishwasher remembers it's settings, so I load it in the morning, turn it on but leave the WiFi switch off.

If the sun is good and production high, I knock it on remotely. If its a crap day, I don't. But once it's on, it stays on.

The dryer has an app so again I load it in the morning, and turn it on later on when there is plenty of sun. It's a heat pump dryer mind you so only uses about 3-400w for a cycle. There is no mid cycle off/on happening with either of them.

For example, I'm on the way to Belfast now. Battery is at 62% and generation around 2kw.

So I knocked on the dishwasher. It'll use the current production and a bit of the battery, then by the time I get home at 5 the battery will likely have filled up again

If I waited til I got home I'd have exported a fair bit by 5 and then would be depleting the battery to do the dishes.

Ok, so you need to be sure there is enough excess on the day. If clouds roll in you are in trouble?

That’s kinda my point. It’s not automated like the Zappi/EV where it’s all automated. Appliances are hard to manage with Solar, particularly as the year rolls on and you have less excess and cloudier skies.

• Advertisement

If clouds roll in then it will use what's in the battery, and when the clouds roll on the battery recharges. No trouble!

If clouds roll in then it will use what's in the battery, and when the clouds roll on the battery recharges. No trouble!

Right, but that’s still depleting the battery for later tonight. Excess is what you want to use not the battery.

It’s all good if there is loads of excess and the battery is full but let’s see how it works as the autumn progresses.

Nice one. Did you just log in and it stated paid?
    Or did you get an email?
    I still haven't heard anything its just over a month now eeeeek

Just logged in and status had changed, didn't receive any email. Money in account today took about 8 weeks .

And you said you had a Seai inspector out?
    Good to hear you got it,ide say its a weight of the shoulders

And you said you had a Seai inspector out?
    Good to hear you got it,ide say its a weight of the shoulders

yeah he was out about 4 weeks ago. Glad to have the money alright!

• Advertisement
Advertisement