Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

phester28 wrote: »
    It's in the graph. All be it in Chinese. Its about 42Deg from the inverter. The solis starts to de-rate after 40 deg but I think I am ok because of my headroom.

Only got a solis mini 4G inverter not getting anything only power on the graph, maybe this information is only available on the higher spec inverters.

Anyway my specs for the day, dull morning again.

8.4kwh. 20th sept
    2.48kw South East
    Donegal(South)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

graememk wrote: »
    KWh: 22.9 for 19th September
    KWh: 25.2 for 20th September
    KWP: 5.6
    Dual string on same roof. (lower panels at risk of shadow in the winter) SE,

Cloudy start on 19th, quickly peaking at 4kW when clouds cleared, (maybe because the panels were cool?)
    Immersion getting a good workout these days!

Hi graememk,
    Nice figures I’m waiting on a smaller but similar SE setup for a same reason, would like to know
    your orientation degrees, somewhere 120 to 150? is it an even split 2 by 2.8?
    Standards 30 degree roof?
    Are you seeing the difference in figures between strings? would you have a graph for both strings on the 20th that you could share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Dull days in Dublin.

19th - 6.6
    20th - 7.9

4.8 split 2.4/2.4 E/W

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hi graememk,
    Nice figures I’m waiting on a smaller but similar SE setup for a same reason, would like to know
    your orientation degrees, somewhere 120 to 150? is it an even split 2 by 2.8?
    Standards 30 degree roof?
    Are you seeing the difference in figures between strings? would you have a graph for both strings on the 20th that you could share?

It's on a steel lean 2 style roof. Maybe about 12 degrees, made the install really easy.

All panels on the same roof just the lowest 8 are on a separate string to the top 8.

It's a solis 4g inverter, was told by the installer to use the solarman app, and that doesn't give a breakdown afaik.

I actually do the energy monitoring using openenergy monitor hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

It's on a steel lean 2 style roof. Maybe about 12 degrees, made the install really easy.

All panels on the same roof just the lowest 8 are on a separate string to the top 8.

It's a solis 4g inverter, was told by the installer to use the solarman app, and that doesn't give a breakdown afaik.

I actually do the energy monitoring using openenergy monitor hardware.

Great thank you that does help me and do you see a notable difference between what each string produces? At 12 degrees prob not so. Is it obvious when the shading kicks in?

Great thank you that does help me and do you see a notable difference between what each string produces? At 12 degrees prob not so. Is it obvious when the shading kicks in?

Will notice more in the winter I think (it's only been in since Wednesday and we've had perfect weather until today)

I looked on the inverter early one morning (about 8am) and the top string was producing maybe 2-3 times the bottom,

Bottom panels were half shadowed and all had a heavy dew on them.

Sun quickly rises and was off to the races.

Will notice more in the winter I think (it's only been in since Wednesday and we've had perfect weather until today)

I looked on the inverter early one morning (about 8am) and the top string was producing maybe 2-3 times the bottom,

Bottom panels were half shadowed and all had a heavy dew on them.

Sun quickly rises and was off to the races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KWh: 10.3kWh for 20th September
    KWP: 6.2
    Split string: 2.8kWp(S)/3.4kWp(W)

Back to earth with a bang after 4 days above 20kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

11.4kwh 4.4kw system
    SE

KWh: 4.7 for 21st September

Ouch. The power was out for a few house in the middle of that as I had a spark doing some work but that coincided with the worst of the weather anyway so it wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

3.8 kWh for 22nd
    Sligo
    4.2 kW
    Single aspect southish

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

6.1 Kwh for 22nd
    Wexford
    5.6 kw
    4.2 E / 1.4 W

KWh: 9.4kWh for 19th September
    KWh: 5.8kWh for 22th September
    Dual string on same roof, SE

Base line was covered today for most of the day, on a dark +rainy afternoon.

garo wrote: »
    Gorgeous day here. 18.2kWh on a 4.8kW system. No cloud after 11. But unfortunately the system maxed out on 2.4kWh - even though I saw 3.3 yesterday. So I don't think it was the sun being lower in the sky than in June. Most likely there was some current limiting due to temperature.

So this looks to have been a temperature issue. I am getting over 3kWh during sunny spells today.

So this looks to have been a temperature issue. I am getting over 3kWh during sunny spells today.

Yeah, today my roof panels passed 2kw for the first time in weeks. Total has been sitting above 4kw for the last half hour. Which is annoying as we decided to go bed shopping after work so I'll likely end up with about 5kWh export from a 15-16kWh day.

Forecast is good tomorrow though and I'm working from home.

I must say, the RTE weather page for my location is very accurate. Great for planning ahead (which I didn't this morning).

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'll likely end up with about 5kWh export from a 15-16kWh day

I was close. Spot on for generation but export not as bad as I thought. Lost 3.3kWh in total.

KWh: 16 for 23rd September

Fine day today. Looking pretty decent through until Monday too.

KWh: 20.3 for 24th September

KWh: 15.1 for 23th September
    KWh: 18.2 for 24th September
    Dual string on same roof, SE

First day of the year that battery charging is limited by temperature. Limited to 10A so exporting on a lovely clear day :( Can't wait for the Zappi to get installed later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

First day of the year that battery charging is limited by temperature.

Not for me :p

And yes today is a good example of why solar PV works really well in Ireland. The colder, the better the panels work. Only 6C when I checked outside at 9AM this morning.

Eh?

You mean your battery charge rate was restricted because the ambient temperature was too low?

My missus thought she knew better than RTE weather, so she gambled and lost.

She reckoned today was going to be a stinker, I went by the website which said it would be a bit rough til lunchtime only.

So she whacked on the washer and dryer overnight which meant less to run today.

I was right. Battery was full by 2pm. Exported 4.5kWh out of the 16.5kWh generated so far.

Don't worry, I will gloat and be exceptionally smug, and next time she'll listen, (yeah right).

KWh: 19.9 for 25th September

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

KWh: 22.8 for 25th September
    KWP: 5
    Single String South

Eh?

You mean your battery charge rate was restricted because the ambient temperature was too low?

Yes my battery restricts itself to 10A charging (It’s a Pylontech2.4kWh) when the battery temperature is under 13C. On a bright day like today it means exporting more than I need to. Now got the Zappi installed today so I think I’ll be able to handle it better on Eco+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

KWh: 6.4Kwh 25th September 2020
    KWP: 2.4
    Split string: 1.5:0.9KWp E/W

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

My missus thought she knew better than RTE weather, so she gambled and lost.

She reckoned today was going to be a stinker, I went by the website which said it would be a bit rough til lunchtime only.

So she whacked on the washer and dryer overnight which meant less to run today.

I was right. Battery was full by 2pm. Exported 4.5kWh out of the 16.5kWh generated so far.

Don't worry, I will gloat and be exceptionally smug, and next time she'll listen, (yeah right).

It's absolutely criminal that power exported is not payed for.the sooner the esb monopoly is broke up the better !

KWh: 20.8 for 26th September

The fine Donegal summer continues.

KWh: 28.2 26th September
    Single String South

Already generating 800w here. Going to be an absolute scorcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Generating 1kw (2.4kw array) here at 9.30am. Cold morning and facing south east helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Was getting 1.1k at 8.20 this morning on 4.2k
    Peak production for me is 11.30 till 12.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 banana5kin

Hey All,

New to this forum and a recent PV install, my numbers or maybe lack of brought me here. The max produced at any given time yesterday (cloudless periods of sunshine) was 1.3kw. This can't be right?

KWh: 5.7 for 26th September
    KWP: 2.6
    Single String SSW
    Roof pitch 32 deg

2.7kw at the minute, and 2.2 of that is from the smaller garage array.

Going to be hitting 4+ once the house comes into play.

6kWh generated so far.

Fantastic day in Dublin too.

17.3kWh - 3rd highest for Sep
    4.8kW split evenly E/W
    The Zappi couldn’t have come early enough.

Today might exceed yesterday the rate at which it’s going.

banana5kin wrote: »
    Hey All,

New to this forum and a recent PV install, my numbers or maybe lack of brought me here. The max produced at any given time yesterday (cloudless periods of sunshine) was 1.3kw. This can't be right?

Single String SSW
    Roof pitch 32 deg

1.3 looks a bit low but not abnormally so for this time of the year. My East facing 2.4kW array maxed out at 1.6kW yesterday and it was as perfect a day in sep you could imagine. What is the tilt of your roof? If it is shallow it can have an impact. Also is there any shading at any point of the day?

banana5kin wrote: »
    Hey All,

Single String SSW
    Roof pitch 32 deg

Does seem a bit low alright. I have 2 sections and my garage is very similar to yours. It's 2.8kwp and although I list it as south facing, it's slightly more like SSW.

Mine peaks around 2.5 for that section most of the time.

2.7kw at the minute, and 2.2 of that is from the smaller garage array.

Going to be hitting 4+ once the house comes into play.

A bit of an odd day in the end. Scorching til 2pm, then got a bit hazy and cloudy, then at 5pm it just packed up entirely and generation dropped to 150w.

KWh: 17.8 for 27th September

KWh: 21.3 for 27th September
    Single String South

• Registered Users Posts: 24 banana5kin

1.3 looks a bit low but not abnormally so for this time of the year. My East facing 2.4kW array maxed out at 1.6kW yesterday and it was as perfect a day in sep you could imagine. What is the tilt of your roof? If it is shallow it can have an impact. Also is there any shading at any point of the day?

Hi Garo,

My roof is around 32 deg pitch (which is around 60 deg from vertical ideal for Spring\Summer). We have had to have 3 micro inverters fitted as part of the install as there is partial shading on one part of the array (2 panels) in the AM until around 1030 and there is some shading early evening which affects another 2 panels. There are 4 panels which have uninterrupted sunshine (when it does). So between 11 and 5 we are have no issues with shading. Our direction is 218 deg, so just into SSW.

For the past 3 days we have not exceeded 1.3kw and our Eddi diverter shows that we managed approx 4kwh up until 6pm.

• Advertisement

The shading - even with optimisers - would definitely play a role. Could it be that your optimisers are not functioning correctly and are restricting output even between 11 and 5? I would expect a peak output closer to 2kW in your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another brilliant few sunny days this weekend. Upgraded most of my panels to the very latest 355W Longi ones that came off the boat from China last week. I think today was the first time I got my new battery (15S LiFePo4 90Ah cells) full in the month or so that I have it up and running. My base load is very high though at 1.4kW. Self use very close to 100%. All of it at the higher day rate (and not wasting it by using a diverter heating water worth just 5c/kWh). Moved to the cheapest electricity provider (Energia) last week, so that should ease the pain of my bills too.

I'm due a provider change in the next few weeks so probably heading back to Energia too.

I submitted a meter reading yesterday to SSE. Since my last reading in mid August my average per day is 2.1 day units and 5.9 night.

Really looking forward to my next bill!

I'm due a provider change in the next few weeks so probably heading back to Energia too.

I submitted a meter reading yesterday to SSE. Since my last reading in mid August my average per day is 2.1 day units and 5.9 night.

Really looking forward to my next bill!
    Ran your numbers through my spreadsheet, with Electric irelands 175 euro cashback they are about 30 euro cheaper a year.

that is going on your figures, assuming night units stay the same, 3.5 day units per day is the break even point between energia and EI

Ran your numbers through my spreadsheet, with Electric irelands 175 euro cashback they are about 30 euro cheaper a year.

that is going on your figures, assuming night units stay the same, 3.5 day units per day is the break even point between energia and EI

The numbers won't stay the same though. For September I've generated an average of 14.8kWh daily. That means I've been running washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher almost entirely during the day for nothing.

The 6kWh or so of night units have been from about 2am when the battery empties, to maybe 10-11am when generation overtakes consumption. Boosted by the occasional overnight car charge.

In the coming months though my predictions for average daily generation (pretty accurate thus far) are:
    October - 9.4
    November 4.5
    December - 3.3
    January - 3.3
    February - 8.6

So for those 3 bad months I'll expect to be increasing day usage to 7-8kWh and night usage up to 12-15kWh average as all the heavy duty appliances will switch back to overnight.

KWh: 19 for 28th September

A day and a half left and I just hit 429kWh for the month which was my predicted generation for September.

August I predicted just over 600kWh and missed out by 5% so September has been pretty good. Also exported 147kWh in August, only 59kWh for September so improved efficiency due to the lower overall generation and better planning on my part.

A day and a half left and I just hit 429kWh for the month which was my predicted generation for September.

August I predicted just over 600kWh and missed out by 5% so September has been pretty good. Also exported 147kWh in August, only 59kWh for September so improved efficiency due to the lower overall generation and better planning on my part.

Do you know how much you get out of your battery in a month/day?

Anyways My numbers for the last few days
    25th: 13.6
    26th: 19.1
    27th: 20.9
    28th : 13.2
    29th : 15.6

From the 18th of sept to today 203kwh generated, 90kwh to the immersion, 63kwh to the house and 50 to the grid.

total Useage for the same period is 166kwh, with 104 imported, of which 56 was day and 49 was night.

90kWh of of 203 to the immersion? That seems extremely high does it not?

I thought I was bad using 40kWh out of 429 on the immersion.

• Advertisement

90kWh of of 203 to the immersion? That seems extremely high does it not?

I thought I was bad using 40kWh out of 429 on the immersion.

It's a big tank (300L) with the immersion at the bottom, at it's turned up full. 75-80c

Also can pull heat from the tank too into rad system through the stove by forcing the pumps on, or if there's any sort of a fire on it stays at around 60. Might as well use it than export, if/when feed in tariff arrives that will change things

Not counting the immersion in any savings calculations as it's a bonus, and the immersion was never used before this.

Advertisement