Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Hi all
    Following instructions to install Ring Pro which refers to 2 wires in existing doorbell which require bypassing. However, my unit has 4 wires.
    Any guidance much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Okay moving into new house and no doorbell so looking at getting the ring.

Looking for hard wire but don't think any chime in the house. Don't want to get battery for fear of someone nicking the bell rather than ringing it. What are steps to stop this?

What are my options as clueless with electrical stuff and where is best place to purchase ring

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Okay moving into new house and no doorbell so looking at getting the ring.

Looking for hard wire but don't think any chime in the house. Don't want to get battery for fear of someone nicking the bell rather than ringing it. What are steps to stop this?

What are my options as clueless with electrical stuff and where is best place to purchase ring

Cheers

they replace if it's stolen.

limnam wrote: »
    they replace if it's stolen.

Cool

Best place to purchase them and take it easy to install along with chime so we can hear it :-)

Trying to link the Ring to the hue via IFTTT app. However i can find the doorbell but I can't find the hue lights to select to blink. Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X79GBnkETP8bzRpXA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

I'd like someone to help me to install Ring Video Doorbell but I'm quite unsure if I need to hire a licenced CCTV installer or can just hire some local handyman to set it up.

Quote from Ring.com FAQ:
    Question - I have a Ring Video Doorbell. Do I need a permit?
    Answer - No, permit requirements only apply to professionally monitored Ring Alarm devices. At this time, the Ring Video Doorbell and Ring Cams are not monitored products.

Confusing

Emailed to PSA twice but no reply ..

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Gatoh wrote: »
    I'd like someone to help me to install Ring Video Doorbell but I'm quite unsure if I need to hire a licenced CCTV installer or can just hire some local handyman to set it up.

Quote from Ring.com FAQ:
    Answer - No, permit requirements only apply to professionally monitored Ring Alarm devices. At this time, the Ring Video Doorbell and Ring Cams are not monitored products.

Confusing

No, you don't need a licensed CCTV installer. What type of Ring Video Doorbell? If it's PRO, or another model, which is powered other than by battery I'd recommend it's an electrician. Other than that all good. The instructions are quite straight forward with regards to connecting it to wifi. Just check that you have good wifi signal at the front door with the door closed. Have a Ring Pro and ours worked pretty solid but odd time it'd lose connection so go the pro chime which acts as a repeater signal wise specific for Ring products and 100% fine now. Have it well over a year without issue.

Was looking one of them battery powered Ring doorbell, WiFi is just behind the wall so should be all good.

Thank you very much for confirming, appreciate that. I'll get local computer guy to sort it out then if licenced installer is no needed.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Was looking one of them battery powered Ring doorbell, WiFi is just behind the wall so should be all good.

Thank you very much for confirming, appreciate that. I'll get local computer guy to sort it out then if licenced installer is no needed.

Cheers!

there is literally nothing to it if its battery powered

no need to pay someone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Quote from Ring.com FAQ:

Confusing

There is no law restricting putting an alarm in your own house. There is no classification of a professional alarm system or a domestic one. Monitored on unmonitored work away at home.

Anyone can buy any alarm system and install it in their own home. Unless it's a locked down system.

You can't put one in for family and friends though, not even your mother, unless you live at home.

Finally. Isn't there a new ring bell about to hit the market?

• Advertisement

Received today email reply from PSA:

The definition of CCTV as defined in S.I. No: 144 of 2012 states:
    "installer of security equipment (cctv)" means a person who installs, maintains, repairs or services security equipment that consists of electronic or other devices, which through visual images, warns of, monitors or records potential or actual unauthorised entry or misconduct on or in the vicinity of premises where such equipment is situated.

Any contractor who installs, maintains, repairs or services CCTV systems as part of a business, trade or profession must hold a PSA licence. Licensing applies to CCTV systems used solely or partially for security purposes.

On the official Ring website, Ring Doorbell systems are advertised in a way that they can partially be used as home security systems. They appear to be designed so that they can be used solely or partially for security purposes therefore any person who is contracted to install a ring product must hold a valid PSA Installer of Security Equipment (CCTV) Licence.

Regards

So DIY or licenced PSA contractor

Well at least that is cleared up now

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Morning all,

So recently got myself a RING Doorbell PRO and looking to install it while I've got some time at home due to the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in.

I've attached 2 images, 1 of my existing chime which is the main topic here for me. It all seems to be wired up with CAT Cable, including the wire that goes to my existing bell button at the front door.

The second image is of the bypass unit and the transformer. Has anyone installed the RING into a setup similar to this and if so, any tips about how to proceed?

Thanks so much in advance.

Paul

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So DIY or licenced PSA contractor

Not that simple if you want to comply with the law.

The Ring doorbell generally requires a transformer to be installed / connected / swapped out in the distribution board as a 16V transformer is recommended and many existing bell transformers have a different voltage output. This work falls under the scope of “restricted electrical works” as such legally this work can only be carried out by a REC (Registered Electrical Contractor), see S.I. No. 264 of 2013. Most PSA installers are not RECs.

See link:

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

Well at least that is cleared up now

Yup, clear as mud :D

Most people wouldn't loose too much sleep over it once it is installed by a competent person such as a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Morning all,

So recently got myself a RING Doorbell PRO and looking to install it while I've got some time at home due to the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in.

I've attached 2 images, 1 of my existing chime which is the main topic here for me. It all seems to be wired up with CAT Cable, including the wire that goes to my existing bell button at the front door.

The second image is of the bypass unit and the transformer. Has anyone installed the RING into a setup similar to this and if so, any tips about how to proceed?

Thanks so much in advance.

Paul

Hi, did you get this working?

I'm looking to order a Ring Doorbell Pro and hard wire it to replace the existing doorbell and have a similar looking setup to you.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hi, did you get this working?

I'm looking to order a Ring Doorbell Pro and hard wire it to replace the existing doorbell and have a similar looking setup to you.

Hi nc6000.

So yes, I've meant to come back to this a few times with an update. I'm glad to say that I'm fully up and running successfully.

So couple of key points. In my main switch box, I already had a transformer for the old bell, so obviously killed the power at the main switch and was able to do a straight swap for the RING one.

Then in the bell box, I wired up the RING bypass unit. However, what I did here was take 2 small pieces of standard wire and pushed them into the bypass unit at my desk. I did this because the CAT5 copper wires are too thing to stay in, plus because it was up high, it was easier to go up with the bypass unit with the 2 short its of wire sticking out, and then just twist them together and stick the bypass unit in.

At the front door, I did a similar thing where I joined the pre-supplied short wires with the bell to the CAT5 wires by twisting and soldering them. Because they already had fork connectors on them, I pushed them into the connection points on the back of the RING and tightened with a screw.

So a CAT5 cable has 8 wires within, but only 2 of those 8 are used throughout my setup as you can see from my pics and I can confirm that they are enough to carry the desired power. This is confirmed by checking the health status within the RING app.

One thing I will say is that you need strong WIFI near the front door, something I still need to work on a little, but I have it good enough for now. Aside from that setup was pretty painless and its been working well now to date.

Hope I have enough detail there, but feel free to come back with any further questions, as loads of people are good enough to help me out on here, so I'd like to return the favour.

Best,

Paul.

Hi - these are pictures of my current setup. I replaced the chime about a year ago as the previous one was faulty. If I get a Doorbell Pro will the existing wiring be sufficient to power it and will the existing chime still sound once someone rings the Doorbell Pro or does the ring sound just come through the chime which comes with the Doorbell Pro?

Hi - these are pictures of my current setup. I replaced the chime about a year ago as the previous one was faulty. If I get a Doorbell Pro will the existing wiring be sufficient to power it and will the existing chime still sound once someone rings the Doorbell Pro or does the ring sound just come through the chime which comes with the Doorbell Pro?

4xSVNxHJmvNp1VLUia62RKmkHbFBtNPkg9PiXjyOLg6X30TjyVPRuYt-Wv2hMeD3iKk58Z6H48XUn0KMsQSXuzDaU1d5kmtQOTYX6BRYvgZ9b2ZxMVaKlcfysURovGVW02NxkyTWRsBVOTWa2GVOjrbaHJAUn8YfdI8W91LF7v9cNo0fb-pFLkEcb6lAHSbsepQNgNAj_2hLWNG7yCVAKctkyLLGyERFSkPX1jYq1J5IeZKlnT85Zk61RpOuS-On8EZ71epnF4tT5U5HgbkEhuXozFXqZMgm0CF6rZVK_v-A4QMZJapKvJAPHtPFkQA3L1H6fs8OylB3oSBvTg8Hyou1drwTFJ71uykd1AT-xIjs9X968r5fvLd0u8c7ovIiQW0qHKgzVuUFtKKstW4JeVkXQSNsAa5RT3U2RBAtIFGTBAdFifQK5RHl3mRXGXXx70Q26OjOVrTGUT77kLmURkv1jaIOSRe_HvC0hjAFNBxVtP4iEkLXeNHiWtCFkVgAz0OltBZuQQ1XeSsL4d4DsYUXkX2qhU4UsqHfPqnV2rA36QqJgGIEPceT6iOfT8kEadu_OfwjoZDn8f0m2MKaiI8474yRVef1Tfu5SW3qnT3u0-kosuI0Mz3wyhpxJ39d_1DZ9bc4zH8I7DBlrzrt4UXk-eCZm46vWSs-oJEQeNAYb3hw1eIPdjEDuiYQ7vY=w658-h877-no

536CqTBQZn0CmYktlTNXW1BNIgSu_IsPKmbPUmoo85IR_tGCf2JTTfc8Xm8MT05WKYPE3uTRR00TtfRs4rSELN1AHp-pGiirGvaOBQyruqH5sQNaRRycGYgxZKp2hP1f1o3vnKVXNIvvsVMR28zHSN2DvJXBE2UtDCtnOxL7dqKRp3FZt1_JDtYBOaX919yVto0M7xGq3V6d0-K8q9YUm6lSiviGj8iPk6Zh5CEWIp-huus_BJNxF0bQr6-j7xwmT9U3cso_fmcLmZU7-XGdNyskUF0aDu_i-84ZLjfdhrYyQCkZoD6fmWwpzNugDY7pZTp4hfsRkys1qZgdJJsQisCTFUtCpvVMIPdBcdLsiXjd7qLuDz6GFOGyHubRLEmnCNigIDGh7_MHDzinXS6kr7mD-3w9zDPv1rI4RGXiaGgliugtUQkETJM2nlOHHaSgzQsJ0vYOtjoUIQ6v0VrQ3RMqIhLCBg5qbTcpKzo7Yh04rtJ-eCF02NzCSB3zHP0SyZJ_B_hkxHaXWv0x5aCIXSRjrRlRUu9hcD2utk_0bHkuel5M3n4hGAewg4NMN_mMyaebAZ6Z5LFoIE8Qv9zd0cJ5__gyrs6UVhmfPoCFz9QlZC3MtmADAHKgEtssN0yD-zLYFMnC1djSZlx6RoCoCx2AW26iUpNRweDjOT3W6rv0-_i_mFSTKZK_FeICfzA=w658-h877-no

I can't see your pics for some reason?

I can't see your pics for some reason?

How's that now? I added them as attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Hi,

I haven't read this whole thread but I thought I'd add my own experience with this. Got the Ring Pro in March 2017. Changed the transformer for the 24v one provided by Ring. That meant I had to disconnect the bell in the hall and rely on the Chime unit. There aren't any bells that take 24v afaik.

The first Chime unit I had was faulty, ended up being replaced. Occasionally, despite a strong WiFi signal, it seemed the doorbell would act up and not ring the chime or notify my phone. Found that out after one Halloween night where we were wondering why we had zero callers.

Most recently, the Ring Pro died after 2.5 years with what I found out is this known 3.7v battery issue, which apparently Ring provide poor support for. A few days ago, I finally got replacement batteries and aluminium flux from eBay in order to solder a new battery into the unit following these great instructions:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ring+Video+Doorbell+Pro+Battery+Replacement/119125

I'm now back in business thankfully. However, if I was doing things again I wouldn't touch this unit. I'd leave the 12v transformer in place, get the standard Ring and leave the existing bell in place and on the circuit as well, in case there were any issues with WiFi connectivity.

argolis wrote: »
    However, if I was doing things again I wouldn't touch this unit. I'd leave the 12v transformer in place, get the standard Ring and leave the existing bell in place and on the circuit as well, in case there were any issues with WiFi connectivity.

I bought a standard Ring but think I got my measurements mixed up and it's actually a bit too wide for the door panel where the existing doorbell is. I was going to go for the Pro with a corner unit as it's smaller but seems a bit trickier to get working. It's also been reduced by €50 on the Ring site in the last week or so.

• Advertisement

How's that now? I added them as attachments.

Thanks NC6000, yep that's better alright.

So the catch here is your wiring is different to mine, so you may need to speak with a sparks about what rating that wire is fit for. I had CAT5 in my house and was able to get confirmation that the 2 individual wires would be fit for up to 24v no problem - and I can confirm that's working now.

In my part, I think my internal manual chime was dead, so I ended up bypassing it. That said I'd be interested to know if it is possible to get this to work also in addition to the RING chime, as like another user there, it would be good to have that as an all else fails backup.

Good luck with your install.

I think I'll just go with a battery powered spotlight cam in the porch area and buy a second battery - works out a bit cheaper and should be a lot simpler to install too.

https://eu.ring.com/products/spotlight-cam-battery

hi all, my button on my ring pro cracked and ring suggest i buy a whole new unit,

thats me done with them now i think.

i have managed to snag a Unifi G4 doorbell from the US which will tie in with my Unifi protect cctv and home networking system.

My qn is i had a sparks install my ring doorbell with the transformer that came with it etc, should i just be able to wire the unifi doorbell in its place now? and i used a chime with the ring not the bell box, any idea how to get the bell box working or is it worked around with the ring set up?

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi all, my button on my ring pro cracked and ring suggest i buy a whole new unit,

i have managed to snag a Unifi G4 doorbell from the US which will tie in with my Unifi protect cctv and home networking system.

My qn is i had a sparks install my ring doorbell with the transformer that came with it etc, should i just be able to wire the unifi doorbell in its place now? and i used a chime with the ring not the bell box, any idea how to get the bell box working or is it worked around with the ring set up?

Aiming to do something similar myself in due course, so would also be interested in feedback here.

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does the mechanism still work?
    Can you repair the button with glue/sugru to mould a new one?

Davy wrote: »
    Does the mechanism still work?
    Can you repair the button with glue/sugru to mould a new one?

the doorbell still works but the button shouldnt be cracking like that, its a common issue and they dont sell replacement buttons. anyway i was always going to get a g4 this just accelerated it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Before you go to the expense of replacing it try some Sugru, great stuff for fixing things like this

Clareman wrote: »
    Before you go to the expense of replacing it try some Sugru, great stuff for fixing things like this

its the actual button you press thats broken

like this

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thingiverse.com%2Fthing%3A4052883&psig=AOvVaw3B2KQAAtvH8NAy3Q5KFnge&ust=1598001900941000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLipnpC7qesCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAP

can sugru fix something that that people will be pressing and constantly moving?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

its the actual button you press thats broken

like this

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thingiverse.com%2Fthing%3A4052883&psig=AOvVaw3B2KQAAtvH8NAy3Q5KFnge&ust=1598001900941000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLipnpC7qesCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAP

can sugru fix something that that people will be pressing and constantly moving?

That's exactly what it's for, it's moldable glue, like Mala, you get it in the shape you want, it goes hard and then it's sorted

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    That's exactly what it's for, it's moldable glue, like Mala, you get it in the shape you want, it goes hard and then it's sorted

ok good to know, apparently getting the button off is a faff and i already have the G4 anyway :D

Advertisement