Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Thank God mcInerney didnt get it. Shes horrendous

A small bit of faith has been restored in RTE for me. This would have been a step too far.

From Pat Kenny to McInerney. :eek:

bookman2 wrote: »
    that's good news - not too sure what the lovefest is with mcinerney but the combative gotcha type of interview is very tiresome IMO.

People are getting used to dumbed down goading from the likes of sky

Thinking it's the sign of a strong woman etc. Where in fact it's just a petulant child with a radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Claire Byrne is a weak interviewer in my opinion and unsuited to this role. Can't see this working out for RTE.

Thankfully the superb Pat Kenny is on air at this time. I suspect a lot of listeners will switch over to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Trying to justify Byrne's massive wage by giving her this job....

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Trying to justify Byrne's massive wage by giving her this job....

You could say that about a few.

Marty
    George Hamilton etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Very disappointed Sarah didn't get it. She was a breath of fresh air when compared to the usual RTE luvvies and a bloody good interviewer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

wowy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1296069177439027202?s=19

Claire Byrne gets the nod as the new permanent host. Kick in the teeth for McInerny imo.

Just lost a listener here too and I hope I won't be the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sarah was just a temporary replacement, not even in the running.

Good news I think, Claire is alright.

I'll continue to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Mav11 wrote: »
    Very disappointed Sarah didn't get it. She was a breath of fresh air when compared to the usual RTE luvvies and a bloody good interviewer!!

This. I think RTE have shown zero imagination here by giving it to Claire. Talented as she might be, I think this shows how RTE has not changed. Even the appointment of Sean was a step in the right direction at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Great news, couldn’t understand how Sarah had it temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

limnam wrote: »
    A small bit of faith has been restored in RTE for me. This would have been a step too far.

From Pat Kenny to McInerney. :eek:

To be honest I think itll be PKfor me from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

#justiceforsarah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sarah's new RTE gig to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Radio or TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Invincible

Won't be listening to CB on Today from now on either!
    Must be her acting skills from her shed episodes that clinched it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Claire Byrne is a weak interviewer in my opinion and unsuited to this role. Can't see this working out for RTE.

Thankfully the superb Pat Kenny is on air at this time. I suspect a lot of listeners will switch over to him.

Will give Claire a listen for a couple of weeks but yeah I could finally see a good few RTE listeners finally 'turning the dial' to Pat Kenny in that slot. Thats what Newstalk originally wanted to happen with the poaching of Kenny but it didnt as Sean o'Rourke was more than capable at holding his own.

Has it been said if Claire Byrne will continue on her Monday night show? If so shes going to be busy with 5 radio shows a week and the TV show on top. Mondays will be a long day for her with two shows on a single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Radio or TV?

Don't know. Kathryn Thomas was congratulating both of them and said it would be announced shortly.

To be honest I think itll be PKfor me from now on

Agreed. It was more the decision not to go with SM rather than the choice of CB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mav11 wrote: »

Newstalk reject more like.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think she'd be ok on cbeebies or similar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

This decision makes no sense, except from the point of view that it was Claire's "turn". I was never a fan of Sarah on NT, but since she has been on the Today show she has done fine. We already have one dull as dishwater presenter in Mary Wilson, and now we have another in Claire Byrne.

And why oh why would they call the show The Today Show With Sarah McInerney for the last few months? This gave the impression that to both her and the audience that she was in it for the long term. Only to take the keys out of her hand, and throw them to Claire Byrne. Even in a situation where you think that it is not possible to make a balls up, RTE will manage to make a balls up.

This decision makes no sense, except from the point of view that it was Claire's "turn". I was never a fan of Sarah on NT, but since she has been on the Today show she has done fine. We already have one dull as dishwater presenter in Mary Wilson, and now we have another in Claire Byrne.

And why oh why would they call the show The Today Show With Sarah McInerney for the last few months? This gave the impression that to both her and the audience that she was in it for the long term. Only to take the keys out of her hand, and throw them to Claire Byrne. Even in a situation where you think that it is not possible to make a balls up, RTE will manage to make a balls up.

Why would she think that when the announcement was made months ago it was stated she will be there until autumn.

Sounds like she was never in the running regardless of what happened over that period. She's lucky to have got that stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’ll say one thing for you Gerr there’s no grey areas with you.

The keys were never in her hand Gerry, you don’t really reason anything just make a statement and pronounce everyone else wrong:D

Have to hand it to ya dude

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Disappointing news. Sarah has given the "Today" show a much-needed shot in the arm since taking over. I'd given up listening to Sean O'Rourke as he seemed to have lost his enthusiasm for the job. Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter but I'd imagine most government departments and ministers will be happy with the news that Sarah hasn't been given the permanent gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Disappointed with that, Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter, but she's not a journalist so shouldn't even have been considered.

Should have stuck with Sarah imo.

Neither is Pat Kenny, Ivan Yates, Kieran Cuddihy, Vincent Browne, Eamon Dunphy.......

Edited to add. According to her wikipedia page, Clare studied jounalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big missed opportunity Sarah Mcinerney was excellent I thought really grew into it, Claire Byrne is just meh, handy she has the same agent as most of the other RTE talent....odd that.

I am sure someone else will snap Sarah Mcinerney up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Neither is Pat Kenny, Ivan Yates, Kieran Cuddihy, Vincent Browne, Eamon Dunphy.......
    Vincent Browne was a print journalist and edited several publications before his career in broadcasting. Dunphy was a soccer reporter - as distinct from a columnist - early in his career after retiring as a footballer. I think it was Browne who hired him for the Sunday Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

Perhalps Sarah will replace Joe Duffy who is leaving his slot to work on a yet to be announced project

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Disappointing news. Sarah has given the "Today" show a much-needed shot in the arm since taking over. I'd given up listening to Sean O'Rourke as he seemed to have lost his enthusiasm for the job. Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter but I'd imagine most government departments and ministers will be happy with the news that Sarah hasn't been given the permanent gig.

Have to say I'm with you on this.

Never really got stuck into SOR after he left the News at One. Sarah has been fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

chicorytip wrote: »
    Vincent Browne was a print journalist and edited several publications before his career in broadcasting. Dunphy was a soccer reporter - as distinct from a columnist - early in his career after retiring as a footballer. I think it was Browne who hired him for the Sunday Tribune.

Clare Byrne was writing in the Tribune 15 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement