Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Clare Byrne was writing in the Tribune 15 years ago.

Even poor old Del Monte freelanced for the Tribune should he have gone for the job? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poor Sarah never stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Even poor old Del Monte freelanced for the Tribune should he have gone for the job? :D

That depends, has he spent several years hosting a top current affairs program?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that Newstalk presenters are told to be opinionated andcontroversial, the more opinionated the better e.g. George Hook, Ivan Yeats, Ciara Kelly, etc. Sarah McInerney suffered from this when she was with Newstalk. In the role with Rte, I thought she was much better, knowledgeable on issues but not bland. Currently I switch between her and Pat Kenny depending on the topic, I will be sticking with Pat in the future

gmisk wrote: »
    Big missed opportunity Sarah Mcinerney was excellent I thought really grew into it, Claire Byrne is just meh, handy she has the same agent as most of the other RTE talent....odd that.

I am sure someone else will snap Sarah Mcinerney up.

If she hadn't already been on NT then I think that this would have really upped her chances in getting a role there. Particularly as it was known over last few months that Ivans time was coming to an end.

Is Clare going to continue hosting Clare Byrne live?

Might be a change in TV schedule which would help Sarah, or maybe with Ivan's departure, she might be considered for the tonight show on Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It seems to have escaped some peoples' notice the the art of journalism is to reveal information. Good radio interviewers do that by asking questions and letting the answers speak for themselves. Ask, listen, ask another. That's how it's done

Sean O'Rourke is good at it. Remember his filleting of Maria Bailey over Swing Gate - just by asking questions. McInerney would have just interrupted her and all we would have learned is how tough she was trying to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

First Up wrote: »
    It seems to have escaped some peoples' notice the the art of journalism is to reveal information. Good radio interviewers do that by asking questions and letting the answers speak for themselves. Ask, listen, ask another. That's how it's done

Sean O'Rourke is good at it. Remember his filleting of Maria Bailey over Swing Gate - just by asking questions. McInerney would have just interrupted her and all we would have learned is how tough she was trying to be.

And the art of the political interview is never to reveal information by answering the question asked. SM would have shown persistence in extracting the required information.

Mav11 wrote:
    And the art of the political interview is never to reveal information by answering the question asked. SM would have shown persistence in extracting the required information.

All good interviewers are persistent but some have more strings to their bow than just interrupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

Thank God mcInerney didnt get it. Shes horrendous

Good news . Byrne can't be worse than McInerney.
    Awful voice , over combative and flippant style. Sarah will probably find some niche but this wasn't it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All good interviewers are persistent but some have more strings to their bow than just interrupting.

Sarah being one of them.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Sarah being one of them.

She'd be much better if she used some of them more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

She'd be much better if she used some of them more often.

She did!! So subtle you must have missed them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sarah being one of them.

Interrupting people and getting stroppy is not a technique. It's lack of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

limnam wrote: »
    Interrupting people and getting stroppy is not a technique. It's lack of experience
    You must have been listening to different shows than me then. The only stroppy person I can see is posting in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Sarah McInerney was fantastic in this slot. A real revelation. Very intelligent incisive questioning.

This is great news though: since Ivan left the 4-7 slot on newstalk evening radio has been pretty bland. Now Sarah is free to be poached by newstalk for that gig. And between Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny the morning will be ok. Just the 12-1 slot will be a low point really now.

As I type this I realise working from home since March has made me way too invested in daytime radio to have on in the background.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The only stroppy person I can see is posting in this thread!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not a chance I will listen to the Anointed One. Well maybe that is what they are relying on, you know the nosey element.

I really hope that Sarah mc Inerneny has been offered another gig that suits her better,

Back to PAT KENNY for me. At least he doesn't rely on the license.

Fian wrote: »
    Sarah McInerney was fantastic in this slot. A real revelation. Very intelligent incisive questioning.

This is great news though: since Ivan left the 4-7 slot on newstalk evening radio has been pretty bland. Now Sarah is free to be poached by newstalk for that gig. And between Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny the morning will be ok. Just the 12-1 slot will be a low point really now.

As I type this I realise working from home since March has made me way too invested in daytime radio to have on in the background.

NT have already announced their autumn schedule and the 4-7 slot is already filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Newstalk reject more like.

Didn’t CB move from NT too. I don’t mind either of them presenting the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Although I think they’re both ok Sarah would do a better job than either Ciara Kelly or Andrea Gilligan for Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Didn’t CB move from NT too. I don’t mind either of them presenting the show.
    She did indeed. She used to present the Breakfast Show with Ger Gilroy. If memory serves me correct, he left, Ivan came in, Claire moved out after a while.

While it's disappointing to see, we knew Sarah would only be in the seat for the summer. She played a blinder in my opinion.

I'll give Claire a listen, if it's in anyway resembling her TV show, I'm out.

Another NK stabled horse in the RTE ring, you'd wonder sometimes who's running the fcuking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

If she hadn't already been on NT then I think that this would have really upped her chances in getting a role there. Particularly as it was known over last few months that Ivans time was coming to an end.

Is Clare going to continue hosting Clare Byrne live?

Might be a change in TV schedule which would help Sarah, or maybe with Ivan's departure, she might be considered for the tonight show on Virgin.

According to the story on the RTÉ website Claire Byrne Live will return next month. Apparently she is going to do both programmes. There is a vacancy on the News at One now that Claire has left her slot there. There is also a vacancy on Prime Time with David McCullagh moving to do the Six One News. Perhaps Sarah McInerney could be considered for one or other or both of these jobs.

Although I think they’re both ok Sarah would do a better job than either Ciara Kelly or Andrea Gilligan for Newstalk

Thats not saying a lot

Thats not saying a lot

Is it jealousy?

Is it jealousy?

Between the 3 of them?

Between the 3 of them?

No, your disdain for broadcasters who are demonstrably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thats not saying a lot

Jaysus, man! Did she knock you back in college, or something?:pac:

Oh,

Ciara Kelly is a dr who tricked her way into her own show

the other reads the news.

I was just saying. Sarah Mc been better than that is not exactly an endorsement.

I'm not a broadcaster good or bad nor any desire to be. What would I be jealous of exactly. I just want to hear good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Please demonstrate so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I think she'd be ok on cbeebies or similar
    A position way too highbrow for you then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement