Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

limnam wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time.

But I just went back and read the first 3/4 pages of the thread.

Nope, not just me . :pac:
    Read more.

The first ~60 posts were in her first week, and mostly others speculating on who they thought, or would like, to take over. Pick out the critical ones, and I'd say <10%.

Take the rest of the thread, I'd be surprised if it wasn't >70% positive for her work. Obviously open to correction, if you'll do the leg work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Read more.

The first ~60 posts were in her first week, and mostly others speculating on who they thought, or would like, to take over. Pick out the critical ones, and I'd say <10%.

Take the rest of the thread, I'd be surprised if it wasn't >70% positive for her work. Obviously open to correction, if you'll do the leg work :)

I only need 1% not to be alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

lets see how she interviews eamonn ryan.

bookman2 wrote: »
    lets see how she interviews eamonn ryan.

she deffo wasn't as combative in that interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

She wasn't easy on him either and he did stutter a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

She caught him out on the school buses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭RINO87

Much, much better than when she was in newstalk. More experience and not having to carry that other wet blanket makes a big difference.
    I would tend to agree with those that say she should get the full time gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

RINO87 wrote: »
    Much, much better than when she was in newstalk. More experience and not having to carry that other wet blanket makes a big difference.
    I would tend to agree with those that say she should get the full time gig.

Fully agree, newstalk seems to encourage their female presenters to be very shouty, no doubt they feel that makes them sound assertive, it doesn’t, it makes them sound aggressive. Claire Byrne also improved tremendously after moving to RTÉ. I really hope Sarah keeps the gig, best presenter on the airwaves currently imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gifted wrote: »
    She caught him out on the school buses
    It shouldn't be about "catching them out" - it should be about extracting maximum relevant information (and allowing minimum irrelevant waffle!) - and I think she's very, very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

In fairness Eamon Ryan was answering the questions and was willing to explain why they had ignored NPHET advice in some areas.

Michael McNamara was rather meek in his contribution today - someone might have had a word in his ear.

Combat in interviews is not always necessary as today's show proved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1296069177439027202?s=19

Claire Byrne gets the nod as the new permanent host. Kick in the teeth for McInerny imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

wowy wrote: »

Claire Byrne gets the nod as the new permanent host. Kick in the teeth for McInerny imo.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    :mad:

Thank God mcInerney didnt get it. Shes horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

That's how it works in RTE. It's not about who's the best person for job, it's about who's turn it is.

wowy wrote: »

Disappointed with that, Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter, but she's not a journalist so shouldn't even have been considered.

Should have stuck with Sarah imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Acosta wrote: »
    That's how it works in RTE. It's not about who's the best person for job, it's about who's turn it is.

or whos managemnt conmpany gets them all the cosy media interviews to "plead" for their dream job through their buddies in various other media outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Disappointed with that, Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter, but she's not a journalist so shouldn't even have been considered.

Should have stuck with Sarah imo.

Perhaps Claires face looks better....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,966 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dissapointing but predictable news form RTE, I'm not doubting Claires ability but Sarah did a fine job and I've no doubt a new role be found for her soon.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't stand Mcinerney as she's painful to listen to so happy enough with this.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sarah is very combative and this doesn't help when interviewees start getting frustrated as a result (Ben Dunne was a recent one I remember). I also dislike her style when it comes to "female/gender issues". Generally an all-female, one-sided panel chat ensues

Claire though isn't any better but she's likely better established within RTE so the "logical" choice for a flagship show. TD's are probably breathing a sigh of relief that they'll probably get an easier time of it going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

What a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

My bets are that Claire Byrne won't allow this show to be video relayed on RTE News Now on TV/Web.
    See how far she gets..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

CB has been responsible for/at the helm of some of the most incompetent (36th Amendment debate) and risible (so many of her Covid-19 programmes) TV in recent years ... hopefully this means no more of her on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd say the decision was made a long time ago. You couldn't really fault McInerney over the past few weeks, not always perfect, but well above average.

Claire Byrne on the radio has a habit of reading out prepared questions and can have difficulty developing an interview if it goes off on and interesting tangent. I also think she lacks tenacity.

Interesting to see what happens to Sarah McInerney now, and what role RTE can find for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,966 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Can't stand Mcinerney as she's painful to listen to so happy enough with this.

Anyone who managed to get under the skin of Leo gets my vote

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

td1 wrote: »
    CB has been responsible for/at the helm of some of the most incompetent (36th Amendment debate) and risible (so many of her Covid-19 programmes) TV in recent years ... hopefully this means no more of her on there!

She should never manage another debate day's out from such an important referendum as the 36th amendment. She was so bad the Iona crazies online actually thought the No side would win after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Anyone who managed to get under the skin of Leo gets my vote

As someone mentioned earlier Heidi I think.

That's not the point and purpose of being a good interviewer.

Any gutter journo can upset a guest, it takes real talent, emotional intelligence etc to extract good useful information to inform and entertain the listener.

Not turn every interview into a boxing match. There's no talent in that. I could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They are both good presenters in my opinion.

The only issue I have is why did they not put the replacement in immediately after S O'R's departure?

It's not as if he left suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Haven't been reading all the posts, but I think it's fair to say Sarah is coming in for a fair bit of criticism. All I'll say is - be careful what you wish for. Sarah isn't perfect, but is a hell of a lot better than some of the other candidates being suggested for the role.

• Advertisement

that's good news - not too sure what the lovefest is with mcinerney but the combative gotcha type of interview is very tiresome IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement