Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I noticed RTE isn't shooting many shows at the moment due to Covid-19 restrictions.
    It's expenditure most be way down as a result and it's financial situation should be far improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are milking it in with all that juicy Government Covid and TV Licence advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,219 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are milking it in with all that juicy Government Covid and TV Licence advertising.

If they get money to air the TV Licence adverts that's a prime example of running the gas off the electricity and electricity off the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

garrettod wrote: »
    I wish everyone posting here, would also start sending emails to the Minister demanding action - if enough if us apply pressure, we might get something positive done (or at least, help prevent the Minister from doing something stupid)

At the moment the new tax collection is a discussion between 2 wolves and a sheep about what is for dinner. The only issue being discussed is how to make compliance more efficient. There is no discussion about the audience leaving RTE , what performance metrics RTE needs to meet, whether the organisation is fit for whatever purpose it has today and in the future.

RTE defines its own purpose:
    This plan underlines the fact that RTÉ is determined to:
    • Develop the independent production sector in Ireland
    • Create ways of capturing and delivering the citizen voice
    • Create content that reflects the diversity of an ever-evolving nation
    • Work with key political bodies to develop a sustainable funding model for these changing times

In so doing, it recognises the potential for Ireland to establish itself at the forefront of public service media policy across the world.

source

They estimate 10% of households don't have a TV and do not have to pay the TV tax, they estimate non-compliance with the TV tax at almost 14% while the BBC has 7% non-compliance since they outsourced collection to a company called Capita (Some in the UK use the impolite name CRapita). The TV tax currently accounts for 2% of An Posts revenue. URL="https://www.dccae.gov.ie/documents/Working_Group_on_Future_Funding_of_Public_Service_Broadcasting-Final_Report_2019.pdf"]source[/URL

When the government and bureaucrats talk about "device independent" what they actually mean is whether you have a device or NOT. i.e. a mandatory payment since there is no opt out being discussed. We need to push for an opt out as the new collection methods proposed do not permit a challenge and means they can take the tax and enforcement costs directly from your source of income.

The intention behined the new TV tax collection scheme is to use the high compliance achieved with property tax payment and its low cost of collection to tack on the "device independent" tax and they are currently working on legislation to close the loopholes in property tax collection so they can bring more people into the tax net.

The current TV tax is set an €160. It seems obvious to me that they will try a lower entry price like €150 to reduce resistance on introduction and then jack it up substantially within a few years once they have achieved compliance to make up for the continuing drop in advertising revenue and account for inflation, therefore do not be surprised to see this rise to ~€300 or more per annum by 2030 (to bring the Irish into line with some other EU countries).

As I read it the new TV tax will be a fixed fee line item on the property tax bill and they are not expecting substantial resistance to this method of collection. I think they will be surprised by the level of resistance and our best course of action now is to lobby all the ministers for an opt out option and reject the cover story that they need to make it mandatory because "internet". RTE can easily secure their internet domain and only permit access to their content by having users register an account with them that can be linked to the annual household payment. Netflix already does this today so there is no technical impediment to RTE other than the organisations competency.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Another balls up hoves into view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Just popped up in my followed treads again and it reminded me that this stealth tax is due again for me next month - sickens me paying as I have not watched one minute of RTE programming since Christmas and have no access to there service and have no interest in watching.

Given the situation in the country at the moment I can see non compliance for licence payment shooting though the roof for RTE and they will have go crying to the taxpayer for a bailout again. I only hope there is nothing in the pot left for them and they have to scale there operation back significantly. But that will be wishful thinking.

As I said in previous threads if i had no kids I would not bother having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,219 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE better get their cheque book out or Lottie may go to UK, perhaps triple her wages to be sure she stays...
    Lottie Ryan revealed she would make the move to the UK in a heartbeat if the right job came along.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/lottie-ryan-would-gone-heartbeat-18760834

RTE better get their cheque book out or Lottie may go to UK, perhaps triple her wages to be sure she stays...

I take my hat off to Noel Kelly. He’s certainly dogged and determined.

I would have thought that an offer in broadcasting etc in the UK would be a very big “if”.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I hear they is lookin for PR girls in the newly opened "Legs" Club in Kegworth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A dose of reality away from the cocoon of the montrose soviet might do lottie the world of good. See how well she survives when she lets go of mammys apron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The delusion is laughable, but RTE will read that piece and think “sh*t, we could lose Lottie To the BBC or ITV if we don’t offer her cajillions” rather than call her bluff. I’m going to hire Noel Kelly to negotiate for me before my next review.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I hear they is lookin for PR girls in the newly opened "Legs" Club in Kegworth ?

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Who uses cheque these days ???
    Lotti I will Revolut you the money for a one ticket out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A dose of reality away from the cocoon of the montrose soviet might do lottie the world of good. See how well she survives when she lets go of mammys apron

No fan of Lottie, but she actually did work away from home. She's spoken about waittressing and so on while she was in the US.

I remember at the time thinking 'How come Gerry Ryan didn't help her out, he was raking it in'... and he was still alive, at the time.

Of course, we now know why a guy who was earning (minimum) over half a million a year, couldn't afford to help Lottie out...
    Apparently he was always stuck for a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

forget lottie

Kathryn Thomas outshone by adorable daughter Ellie on wholesome travel programme

never too early to get you child a job in rte sinks to new level

rightmove wrote: »
    forget lottie

Kathryn Thomas outshone by adorable daughter Ellie on wholesome travel programme

never too early to get you child a job in rte sinks to new level

If there's one person who has absolutely exploited the pandemic to a disgusting degree, it's Katharine Thomas.

Whether it was 'Operation-Covid Nation' (Later renamed for obvious reasons- I'm sure 'Get healthy or Die!' was already taken, so they went with the third choice).

Then there's this travel program- when 3 counties are on lockdown and we're told to minimize travel. Not Katherine tho... never mind that children can catch the virus, and be asymptomatic but still spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If there's one person who has absolutely exploited the pandemic to a disgusting degree, it's Katharine Thomas.

Whether it was 'Operation-Covid Nation' (Later renamed for obvious reasons- I'm sure 'Get healthy or Die!' was already taken, so they went with the third choice).

Then there's this travel program- when 3 counties are on lockdown and we're told to minimize travel. Not Katherine tho... never mind that children can catch the virus, and be asymptomatic but still spread it.

In fairness the programme was produced before the 2nd lockdown in those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Hes some man that NK.. A modern day snake oil salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Careful now, they closed the Lottie thread for less...

Elmo wrote: »
    In fairness the programme was produced before the 2nd lockdown in those counties.

Which doesn’t explain why she was in Galway on Saturday filming for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Hes some man that NK.. A modern day snake oil salesman
    Embarrassing that this passes for journalism these days...find 2/3 tweets from a few morons with an iq below their age and whip an article up

I have listened to Thomas since she took over this programme and the complete overriding theme that permeates through all the content is this completely stupid crap of ‘Operation Transformation’

Today she deified a person ad nauseum over her weight and the amount of ‘followers’ she has and her ‘battle’ to lose weight.

For fuhherke sake listening to that crap and bulldust all designed for her to get the personal training rip off front and central and get these chancers in to an area of ripping off the public and ‘influencing’ idiots who actually pay heed to these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I have listened to Thomas since she took over this programme and the complete overriding theme that permeates through all the content is this completely stupid crap of ‘Operation Transformation’

Today she deified a person ad nauseum over her weight and the amount of ‘followers’ she has and her ‘battle’ to lose weight.

For fuhherke sake listening to that crap and bulldust all designed for her to get the personal training rip off front and central and get these chancers in to an area of ripping off the public and ‘influencing’ idiots who actually pay heed to these chancers.

Get orf the fence Bendar....you fuherkin coin.... and say what you think !

Embarrassing that this passes for journalism these days...find 2/3 tweets from a few morons with an iq below their age and whip an article up

Tbf, one of those sites is The sun.

That was never a bastion of journalism.

Tbf, one of those sites is The sun.

That was never a bastion of journalism.

Sorry OTT but yesterday, Muireann O'Connell twitted that she'd be insulted because "Recently people have been going at me because of the job that I do" https://goss.ie/showbiz/muireann-oconnell-tells-trolls-to-grow-up-after-facing-criticism-for-her-job-220138

Being the sad F*er I am I had to see this abuse.... I found none on twitter ...Might have happened on Facebook. Only reason I bring this up here is the constant number of articles written about tweets.

FANS OF RTÉ ARE COULDN'T BELIEVE THEIR EYES
    THE LATE LATE SHOW BLEW UP THE INTERNET YESTERDAY

Sorry OTT but yesterday, Muireann O'Connell twitted that she'd be insulted because "Recently people have been going at me because of the job that I do" https://goss.ie/showbiz/muireann-oconnell-tells-trolls-to-grow-up-after-facing-criticism-for-her-job-220138

Being the sad F*er I am I had to see this abuse.... I found none on twitter ...Might have happened on Facebook. Only reason I bring this up here is the constant number of articles written about tweets.

FANS OF RTÉ ARE COULDN'T BELIEVE THEIR EYES
    THE LATE LATE SHOW BLEW UP THE INTERNET YESTERDAY

Muireann is the epitome of a drama queen. A woman in her mid 30s acting like a teenage girl. Her tweets even read like that of a 15 year old.

Apparently someone said she's crap at reading the autocue--so she went off on pity party on twitter.
    (And always has to bring up being fired-woe is bloody me... thousands of people lost their jobs because of the pandemic. She's not that special).

Muireann is the epitome of a drama queen. A woman in her mid 30s acting like a teenage girl. Her tweets even read like that of a 15 year old.

Apparently someone said she's crap at reading the autocue--so she went off on pity party on twitter.
    (And always has to bring up being fired-woe is bloody me... thousands of people lost their jobs because of the pandemic. She's not that special).

Who is she R... never heard of her.

Who is she R... never heard of her.

Very minor celebrity had Radio show on TodayFM for a few years, and she hosts the Six O’Clock Show on Virgin Media one.

Very minor celebrity had Radio show on TodayFM for a few years, and she hosts the Six O’Clock Show on Virgin Media one.

She puts up photos on Instagram, and when she doesn't get fishing for compliments, she goes off on one. Started giving out to someone about the 'male gaze' in one comment.

She also managed to take the whole Berlin club scandal (The one where they ignored social distancing) and spin it into a thing about direct provision. When the three counties went into lockdown, she also managed to wrangle direct provision into that-comparing to the the Magdalene Laundries.

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/1294971634005278721?s=20

God, no wonder she was fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

. . .

God, no wonder she was fired.

What to do to stay relevant when when the phone stops ringing. Interesting observation that Joe Rogan made in a recent interview, "They find a pattern, a way they have to talk and the things they have to talk about and they lock into those things with no deviation, they find whatever the line is that Hollywood wants, it's always left, its always progressive, it's always super-woke, and they f***ing ride that line like a railroad train, just 'choo choo', no deviation. It's so obvious."

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement