Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

rightmove wrote: »
    Lottie Ryan to take over late father Gerry’s old radio slot on 2FM

not a day passes. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    rightmove wrote: »
    "following in the footsteps of her late father Gerry Ryan"

god love the poor cRATURES

Hyping this up as a win, when it's really a loss for her. She's filling in for Jennifer Z-lister, who's going on holidays.

It's a slow news day story trying to make RTE look 'diverse'.

The same RTE who probably thinks permatanned Marty Morrissey is 'A person of colour'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hyping this up as a win, when it's really a loss for her. She's filling in for Jennifer Z-lister, who's going on holidays.

It's a slow news day story trying to make RTE look 'diverse'.

The same RTE who probably thinks permatanned Marty Morrissey is 'A person of colour'.
    Someone is unhappy with that (check out RTE ONE's twitter account) block from posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'd hazard a guess that the cost of repairs needed for this vandalism will be in the region of €60m.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

PR stunt for Young Offenders

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    PR stunt for Young Offenders

Ah yeah its starting tonight on BBC ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Would have been good if they had written "C0CK PlSS DUFFY" instead

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah yeah its starting tonight on BBC ONE

It's a pr stunt-kinda clever,not really. But it's PR.

It's a pr stunt-kinda clever,not really. But it's PR.

Yeah BBC are robbing their clothing? Perhaps mhahahhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The receptionists reaction when he told her about itwas priceless.

• Advertisement

So RTE shared the footage on their social media outlets, but Joe wouldn’t post that guy robbing a cat-a-licked-it converter off a car in the hospital staff car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So RTE shared the footage on their social media outlets, but Joe wouldn’t post that guy robbing a cat-a-licked-it converter off a car in the hospital staff car park?

Are you talking about the Young Offenders PR stunt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Twilight zone stuff.

It's all Joe Duffy's fault, or Ryan Tubridy's, or Ray D'Arcys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

https://www.thejournal.ie/larry-bass-shinawil-dancing-with-the-stars-5159769-Jul2020/

Another example of someone out of touch with reality ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

https://www.thejournal.ie/larry-bass-shinawil-dancing-with-the-stars-5159769-Jul2020/

Another example of someone out of touch with reality ....

In fairness, he's from the production company. He's not an RTE staffer.

To me, Save the Arts is stuff that challenges you mentally, spiritually, or makes you change your perspective on the world. Actors, writers, singers, artists... they're all stuck atm. I feel for them, because its not just the money they're missing out on, it's everything else. The social aspect, the buzz of the audience.

They don't have government money to bail em out.

DWTS is brain candy... it's just loaded with sugar, but doesn't satisfy. It's anything but art.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

To me, Save the Arts is stuff that challenges you mentally, spiritually, or makes you change your perspective on the world. Actors, writers, singers, artists... they're all stuck atm. I feel for them, because its not just the money they're missing out on, it's everything else. The social aspect, the buzz of the audience.

DWTS is brain candy... it's just loaded with sugar, but doesn't satisfy. It's anything but art.

they'll be in trouble if RTE scales back on shoving anything on its station like copying various bbc/american style shows - but that depends on RTE scaling back drastically...(il be shocked when it happens)

He may as well be, he's become their entertainment producers of choice. He's pretty much lived on RTÉ's Sunday Night, save for The All Ireland Talent Show.

You're A Star, The Voice and DWTS.

they'll be in trouble if RTE scales back on shoving anything on its station like copying various bbc/american style shows - but that depends on RTE scaling back drastically...(il be shocked when it happens)

Sort of feels like Karma, tbh.

RTE were using DWTS as this carrot on a fishing rod, dangling it in front of people and being like 'we need your money to pay for this... but it's not enough, so give us more money'...

Now RTE doesn't even have that to try and use as bargaining chip.

Sorta serves them right, too. They tried to push Lottie Ryan so hard on audiences, they killed the show.

When it was doing well, it was getting massive viewership.But leave it to RTe to kill successful concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Cancellations see RTE save €30m as state broadcaster calls for TV licence reform

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/cancellations-see-rte-save-30m-as-state-broadcaster-calls-for-tv-licence-reform/ar-BB17euIX?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

a million a month saved not filming fair city, 5 million saved not having dancing with the canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

4 million for Eastenders?? I hope that's not right.

iseegirls wrote: »
    4 million for Eastenders?? I hope that's not right.

Totally wrong, RTÉ most likely got other replacement programming from their BBC Worldwide deal which may only come to 6m-8m, they spend 25m on imports 2m is from Irish distributors the rest from Oz and the US.

Your talking between 2m to 2.5m for the soaps EastEnders, Casualty, Neighbours, Doctors, home & away and Shortland street etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I see Alan has been pitching shows to RTÉ again :)

THOMAS' TRIP RTE’s Kathryn Thomas teases new show featuring her and daughter Ellie travelling around Ireland

I see Alan has been pitching shows to RTÉ again :)

THOMAS' TRIP RTE’s Kathryn Thomas teases new show featuring her and daughter Ellie travelling around Ireland

Yep. See my thread on Television General. No takers yet

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058100507

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

postponement of major sporting events including Euro 2020 and the Olympics.

That has to be the weirdest definition of saving that I have ever seen unless they are implying RTE won't cover them next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

RTÉ's finances 'not sustainable' and are 'undermining its capacity to stay relevant'

It's August and we that article is an RTE pre-budget submission and the figure is €50 million.

“What is clear, however, is that Covid-19 has provided further evidence of the need to reform the TV Licence system, a system that has for many years been consistently losing in excess of €50m per year through evasion and avoidance, and which no longer reflects how people consume public service content,” RTÉ added.

How about people who no longer consume RTE broadcasts or streaming services? If you want to change for streaming services then make your online content subscription only and stop trying to rope in internet users who want nothing to do with you.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

To hell with them, people dont want to go see what they have to offer.
    So us hard pressed tax payers are forking out top dollar for these unwanted , unwatched artists to enjoy the life that they wish to live.
    What about the rest of us to get up at crack of dawn to go to a job we do out of necessity to pay the bills?
    I want to write a book/play/poetry, paint landscapes and write music, i have to do all this in my time off work, where are my grants or bursaries? None for me or the millions of tax payer not in the clique, we dont get paid by the state/tax payers to do our hobby, so why should these chancers be? if their work is good it will find a audience and make money.
    RTE is the final destination of all these useless artists stealing a living with grants and bursaries, a job at RTE is like winning the lotto.
    For the cost a a TV licence you can get a FreeSat Satellite and receiver set up and have access to a hundred channels, this is what i have , ZERO capability to receive RTE the last 5 years , and i dont miss its one bit.
    Make it a internet pay service and watch it disappear, no one is interested in it.
    The government should just fund a news broadcast 1, 6 and 9 oclock, and scrap RTE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is everyone excited for the new Katheryn Thomas show where she shows us how awesome Ireland can be for holidaying???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Is everyone excited for the new Katheryn Thomas show where she shows us how awesome Ireland can be for holidaying???

No. Nationwide does that already.

How much more programming to we need to show wet Irish landscape we all live in to begin with. It's boarding on the absurd at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

da_miser wrote: »
    For the cost a a TV licence you can get a FreeSat Satellite and receiver set up and have access to a hundred channels, this is what i have , ZERO capability to receive RTE the last 5 years , and i dont miss its one bit.
    Make it a internet pay service and watch it disappear, no one is interested in it.
    The government should just fund a news broadcast 1, 6 and 9 oclock, and scrap RTE.

The obvious issue is that this turns into the race to the bottom very quickly and within 5 years we'll be served by only media from BBC and the likes of FOX. Looking at how the media in the UK basically caused Brexit I'd rather not. Please and thank you.

Not everyone wants the race to the bottom like you just cause you're unhappy with how your life turned out.

Advertisement