Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Your claim that the English tipped the Welsh vote is pretty bizarre and I`m surprised you would come out with something so strange.I don`t think I`ve ever heard anyone claim the EU was responsible for the GFA either.You have`nt been sampling one or two calvados in the afternoon sun have you? :)
    Edit:don`t dis the sons of Glyndwr.:)
    East Wales - the part infected with English migrants who commute into England voted for brexit while the less infected West part voted remain.

You haven't been paying attention if you hadn't heard anyone claiming the EU was responsible for the GFA: it was and its power to cripple to UK is the only thing that ensured the GFA survived brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

fash wrote: »
    Your claim that the English tipped the Welsh vote is pretty bizarre ...
    East Wales - the part infected with English migrants who commute into England voted for brexit while the less infected West part voted remain.

The Guardian had last year an article about the Brexit votes in Wales.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/22/english-people-wales-brexit-research

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You haven't been paying attention if you hadn't heard anyone claiming the EU was responsible for the GFA: it was and its power to cripple to UK is the only thing that ensured the GFA survived brexit.

That's actually a very racist post fash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That's actually a very racist post fash.

Racist? I hardly think you could call it that... Anglophobic maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Swap around the location and nationality for Kent and Syrians and have it printed in The Daily Mail and I think most people would be calling it out as being racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

robinph wrote: »
    Swap around the location and nationality for Kent and Syrians and have it printed in The Daily Mail and I think most people would be calling it out as being racist.

Well ... yeah, if you change all the original parameters, other than sticking with the same species, you could present a convincing argument ... :rolleyes:

More to the point is that Brexit has created a situation where the English are now increasingly considered by other white West Europeans in the same category as Syrian immigrant/refugees - either an "infection" responsible for societal problems, or a third world country deserving of our pity and charitable aid.

I have a young Welsh lass staying with me at the moment, and her comments about the English are definitely more anglo/xenophobic than what fash has written. Listening to her now, in the summer of 2020, I am reminded of conversations I had with youths of the same age back in Dublin in the 1980s. That was not a good time to be English in certain parts of Ireland.

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the UK right now about the government's mishandling of the attribution of A-level grades - another entirely foreseeable but manageable problem that they seem to have made much, much worse by not thinking it through. This, IMO, is the hallmark of Brexitry and all who adhere to the cult; and I quite convinced that their continued "racially" insensitive blundering will radicalise parts of Scotland and Wales in ways that eventually require the need for either a new Act of Union or a GFA-equivalent on the island of GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the UK right now about the government's mishandling of the attribution of A-level grades - another entirely foreseeable but manageable problem that they seem to have made much, much worse by not thinking it through. This, IMO, is the hallmark of Brexitry and all who adhere to the cult; and I quite convinced that their continued "racially" insensitive blundering will radicalise parts of Scotland and Wales in ways that eventually require the need for either a new Act of Union or a GFA-equivalent on the island of GB.

If the UK cared about their children's futures, they wouldn't have voted to Brexit. This A-level thing is deck chairs on the Titanic. Why sweat how many A levels you get, when there'll be no jobs and your European opportunities (Erasmus?) will be closed to you anyway.

It's a convenient deflection from the impending chaos of Brexit which will be in the UK in force in 137 days

robinph wrote: »

In that instance, it actually would be racist... I'm not saying what he wrote isn't offensive but it wasn't racist. I'm probably being overly pedantic.

In that instance, it actually would be racist... I'm not saying what he wrote isn't offensive but it wasn't racist. I'm probably being overly pedantic.
    With the PC woke brigade forever widening the net of what is considered offensive, it is only a matter of time when you can't say anything about any other group without being accused of racism!

Fine with me,fash had been trolling me for a couple of days and his 'infected'comment did annoy me but if he just has a 'phobia'about the English that's amusing although not sure he would be happy you describing him as 'having an extreme fear of the English'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Fine with me,fash had been trolling me for a couple of days and his 'infected'comment did annoy me but if he just has a 'phobia'about the English that's amusing although not sure he would be happy you describing him as 'having an extreme fear of the English'.

I think we should have a healthy fear of the English given all that has happened in the last 4 years.

With us in the 'blast zone' and no telling what they will do in the next 4 years, showing no regard for other countries, I believe fear is justified.

Phobic can also mean 'having an intolerance or aversion for' according to Merriam-Webster, hence the terms transphobic or homophobic. It doesn't just mean an 'extreme fear of'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Don't accuse people of trolling on thread please. Use the report function.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

his 'infected'comment did annoy me
    I don't blame you for being annoyed.

If there had been an article in the Daily Mail/Express in the 1980s describing Kilburn as a part of London "infected with Irish migrants", there would, quite rightly, have been a storm of protest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Igotadose wrote: »
    If the UK cared about their children's futures, they wouldn't have voted to Brexit. This A-level thing is deck chairs on the Titanic. Why sweat how many A levels you get, when there'll be no jobs and your European opportunities (Erasmus?) will be closed to you anyway.

It's a convenient deflection from the impending chaos of Brexit which will be in the UK in force in 137 days

The scary thing is this wasn't meant to be a distraction, seeing as they have been forced into another u-turn this afternoon. This is just plain incompetence brought to you by the people that told people to vote for Brexit based off lies. There isn't some great plan to keep throwing dead cats on the table, its just people not capable of being in charge finding themselves at the top and the results being exposed.

James O'Brien tweeted about it, this is what happens when you select your cabinet not based of expertise or talent.

Me "trolling" you?
    You are the one claiming that a border is NOT the inevitable consequence of the UK leaving the single market and that if a border is installed it is only because of the nasty EU and the UK would never go such a thing - despite the fact that nowhere in the world in history has there ever not been borders between regulatory areas.
    You are also entirely unable to explain why if that were indeed the case the UK nevertheless installed a (militarised) border in Ireland, employed 1/3rd of the British army to police it plus murdered hundreds etc. to ensure it remained in place.

I'm waiting for your explanation - or if you were being honest your admission that Brexit inevitably means borders - and one had to be put between NI and GB or else reinstalled (with inevitably escalating violence) upon the resentful border population.

In the meantime, it is interesting to look at the evidence of the inevitable cognitive dissonance battle occasionally leaking out.

I don't think the UK would impose a hard border,I don't know whether Ireland would under instruction from Brussels.

This is my post about borders.
    You're being economical with the truth about what I said along with your 'infestation 'comments fash which I view as racist.

This is my post about borders.
    You're being economical with the truth about what I said along with your 'infestation 'comments fash which I view as racist.
    In what way was I "economical with the truth"?
    Again to paraphrase, you said "I don't think the brave, honest and noble Brexit UK would but I suspect the the evil cowardly EU would force the poor Irish to do so".
    Yet when given the opportunity to NOT put up a border in the past (according to you - but not to any competent or honest person who speaks on the matter), the UK has done so.

So the follow-up question to your point (which you refuse to answer because it shows that you are trying to make a point that you know is wrong and doing so what in to me can only be bad faith) is if what you were saying were true, why did the UK install a hard militarised border?

Look I'm going to keep asking you this question until you answer or leave the forum. So you might as well answer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . .why did the UK install a hard militarised border?

Look I'm going to keep asking you this question until you answer or leave the forum. So you might as well answer now.
    We've already discussed this. They militarised the border because the political/security situation required it.

And, Brexit or no brexit, Single Market or no Single Market, if things went pear-shaped in NI again and the political/security deteriorated to a point where military control of the border was required, the UK could have erected a security border again.

The Custom Union guarantees that there will be no customs border. The Single Market guarantees that there will be no fiscal border, and no regulatory border. But neither the Customs Union nor the Single Market ever guaranteed that there would be no security border. And even if the UK remained in the Customs Union and the Single Market, that would not guarantee that a security border could not be erected again.

Conversely, the UK leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market does not mean that a security border will arise. What it does mean, if nothing else happens, is that a fiscal and regulatory border will arise. And if the UK Brexited, and failed or refused to enter into agreed replacement arrangements with the EU to avoid the need for a fiscal and regulatory border, then the UK would be choosing to erect a fiscal and regulatory border and would be responsible for doing so, and Brexiters who claimed otherwise were either fools or knaves. But dragging in questions about militarised borders and security borders and so forth simply obscures this key point. If I were you I'd drop it. You're on a hiding to nothing.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    We've already discussed this. They militarised the border because the political/security situation required it.

And, Brexit or no brexit, Single Market or no Single Market, if things went pear-shaped in NI again and the political/security deteriorated to a point where military control of the border was required, the UK could have erected a security border again.

The Custom Union guarantees that there will be no customs border. The Single Market guarantees that there will be no fiscal border, and no regulatory border. But neither the Customs Union nor the Single Market ever guaranteed that there would be no security border. And even if the UK remained in the Customs Union and the Single Market, that would not guarantee that a security border could not be erected again.

Conversely, the UK leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market does not mean that a security border will arise. What it does mean, if nothing else happens, is that a fiscal and regulatory border will arise. And if the UK Brexited, and failed or refused to enter into agreed replacement arrangements with the EU to avoid the need for a fiscal and regulatory border, then the UK would be choosing to erect a fiscal and regulatory border and would be responsible for doing so, and Brexiters who claimed otherwise were either fools or knaves. But dragging in questions about militarised borders and security borders and so forth simply obscures this key point. If I were you I'd drop it. You're on a hiding to nothing.

As regards the customs and regulatory border (and its relationship to a militarised border)- yes, I know that, you know that - and everyone with a basic understanding knows that - however RobMc refuses to acknowledge it and instead parroted and continues to parrot the frankly dishonest and insulting Brexiter assertion that UK wouldn't have installed any border infrastructure in NI at all (and wouldn't have been responsible for the necessity for same) - even had the UK left the single market and customs Union. Assuming his statement were accurate, the question then arises, if true, why didn't the UK do so?

Edit: ... Or to put it another way, to apply your words to the current situation is RobMc being a "fool or a knave"?

Nevertheless, I take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I think we should have a healthy fear of the English given all that has happened in the last 4 years.

With us in the 'blast zone' and no telling what they will do in the next 4 years, showing no regard for other countries, I believe fear is justified.
    Not so much fear, as healthy scepticism about the implementation in good faith, and effective, of any measures, undertakings and assorted other positions which the UK takes over the short- to medium-term ; given their style of governance in recent times, and never less so than since last year.

To take one example, given the Windrush precedent (and the multitude of similar documentary-based failings), their steadfast and enduring refusal to issue any form of static documentation to the EU27inUK who have received settled status, looks politically-calculated to facilitate transitioning those EU27inUK under a (more-) hostile environment from 2021 onwards, at the whim of English popular opinion...and/or liability-shirking when the latest Serco/Crapita immigration status-determining algorithm comes under fire.

As regards the customs and regulatory border (and its relationship to a militarised border)- yes, I know that, you know that - and everyone with a basic understanding knows that - however RobMc refuses to acknowledge it and instead parroted and continues to parrot the frankly dishonest and insulting Brexiter assertion that UK wouldn't have installed any border infrastructure in NI at all (and wouldn't have been responsible for the necessity for same) - even had the UK left the single market and customs Union. Assuming his statement were accurate, the question then arises, if true, why didn't the UK do so?

Nevertheless, I take your point.
    If Rob is saying that, then focus on that. You're just clouding the issue by introducing the question of the militarised/security border. So don't introduce it.

If the UK brexited and did not enter into replacement arrangements to avoid a fiscal/regulatory border, I myself doubt that they would have failed to apply fiscal and regulatory controls at the NI/RoI border. Certain Brexiters claimed that the UK would not apply controls to the border but (a) the UK governnment never said that they would not and (b) not doing so would have created huge legal, practical and political problems for the UK. So I think those Brexiters were a bit dim, to be honest.

We'll now never know for sure, since the UK has signed up to arrangements to avoid the need for controls on the Irish border. Determined as ever to bring themselves and their country into ridicule and contempt, certain Brexiters are calling for those arrangements to be unilaterally repudiated by the UK, but I don't think the country has fallen to quite the level where it might do that.

But, hypothetically, even if the UK had not entered into the WA, and had decided not to control its border with RoI, the RoI would have controlled the border. In that situation the UK would, by its intentional and unilateral choice, have created the need for the RoI to do so, so the UK would still have been wholly responsible for the erection of the hard border, on the principle that countries, like adults, are responsible for the forseeable inevitable consequences of their actions. Again, Brexiters who don't regard the UK as a grown-up country will quibble about this, but most can grasp the point well enough.

ambro25 wrote: »
    Not so much fear, as healthy scepticism about the implementation in good faith, and effective, of any measures, undertakings and assorted other positions which the UK takes over the short- to medium-term ; given their style of governance in recent times, and never less so than since last year.

To take one example, given the Windrush precedent (and the multitude of similar documentary-based failings), their steadfast and enduring refusal to issue any form of static documentation to the EU27inUK who have received settled status, looks politically-calculated to facilitate transitioning those EU27inUK under a (more-) hostile environment from 2021 onwards, at the whim of English popular opinion...and/or liability-shirking when the latest Serco/Crapita immigration status-determining algorithm comes under fire.

Doesn't the CTA between the UK and Ireland override the requirement of EU citizens to apply for settled status?

Doesn't the CTA between the UK and Ireland override the requirement of EU citizens to apply for settled status?
    No. The provisions of the Ireland Act 1949 mean that Irish citizens don't need to apply for settled status, but that is no help to citizens of the other 26 member states.

Beside Peregrinus' answer, the benefit of the CTA does not extend to non-Irish and non-British family members of Irish citizens, who reside with their Irish relative in the UK under EU FoM (House of Commons Library, Research Briefing, Oct.2019).

So the (e.g.) Spanish wife of an Irish man needs to apply for Settled Status, so do their (e.g.) Polish adopted kid.

ambro25 wrote: »
    Beside Peregrinus' answer, the benefit of the CTA does not extend to non-Irish and non-British family members of Irish citizens, who reside with their Irish relative in the UK under EU FoM (House of Commons Library, Research Briefing, Oct.2019).

So the (e.g.) Spanish wife of an Irish man needs to apply for Settled Status, so do their (e.g.) Polish adopted kid.
    Nitpick: if the adoption was done in Ireland, or was done abroad but has been registered in Ireland, the Polish adopted child is an Irish citizen.

Nitpick: if the adoption was done in Ireland, or was done abroad but has been registered in Ireland, the Polish adopted child is an Irish citizen.
    Nitpick to your heart's content: the Brexit devil is in the legal detail ;)

And that is exactly how, and why, Joe Average int'UK, whether British or not, is going to eventually experience Brexit at the coalface: when the unavoidable changes (brought about by <actual> Brexit) in the multifarious legal compact(s) underpinning his life until 1.1.21, by and large unnoticed until then, brutally collide with that life from that point forward, in so many diverse respects (personal, professional, etc).

I was following a Twitter thread about PDOs and GIs (was recently discussed in here, as I recall; think Scotch Whisky made in Spain post 1.1.21) and looked into the issue in a bit more depth, out of professional curiosity (I practice very little trademark law these days, more patents & designs; done a few collective & certification TMs in my time, but never got opportunity to act on PDO/GI). Talk about a mess, in case of no-deal!

UK's creation of a UK GI registry is typical/symptomatic of their need to replace commercially-indispensible legal systems (like so many other regulating bodies re. nuclear tech, medication, airframes, etc), but notional effectiveness remains up in the air since no garantee of EU reciprocity post 1.1.21 in case of no deal...so how are Scottish Whisky Association members supposed to plan business continuity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are there many of examples of fiscal and regulatory land borders that don't have a high level of a visible military/police presence? I'd have thought it inevitable that the latter follows the former.

Are there many of examples of fiscal and regulatory land borders that don't have a high level of a visible military/police presence? I'd have thought it inevitable that the latter follows the former.
    Well, the RoI/NI border prior to 1969 would be an obvious example!

But, yeah, there are lots of examples. Land borders between friendly countries (who aren't in a Customs Union, etc) are staffed mainly by customs agents or revenue officials. The police may be there if, in the country concerned, the police are the agency which operates passport/migration controls, but often there is a specialist border or migration department which does that. (There is such an agency in the UK - Border Force.) If the police aren't needed for migration controls, any police presence will be very light. And there would typically be no military presence at all.

• Advertisement

If you go back in time, just about all EEC borders pre-Lisbon. Members weren't as fiscally- and regulatorily-aligned then, as they are now.

I was commuting regularly from France into Germany or Luxembourg in those days, customs/border forces were always present, but pretty light (think a couple of guys with an Alsatian, at the smaller crossings), and controls/searches were fairly infrequent, unless you 'stuck out' (passing same border back 'too soon', car reg indicating not local, etc.)

Same with Switzerland before it embarked on its european 'semi-integration'.

Only time I've seen military at a border in recent times, was at Coquelles waiting to board the Eurotunnel, with French paratroops in full gear patrolling car queues between FR & UK booths. Last year or the year before. I expect that it was terrorism alert-related (had seen them patrolling cities aplenty, but never seen them there before, in years and years of using Eurotunnel), they must have been on the lookout for someone/something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement