Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Regardless of how brexit finally ends I don't think there will ever be a militarised border as that would be a focal point for terrorism..
    A hard border is the default situation in law and was only avoided here because the EU and US threatened to turn the UK into an international pariah and properly cripple its economy if it reneged on the good Friday agreement.

Please explain how you would propose to impose a hard border (involving the same and in fact more intrusive checks than will take place in the Irish sea at/next to the border) on a resentful population who will attack any hard border infrastructure and personnel you install - without militarisation.
    If you can explain how, you will no doubt be in-line for several Nobel prizes, so I would be most interested in knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

fash wrote: »
    A hard border is the default situation in law and was only avoided here because the EU and US threatened to turn the UK into an international pariah and properly cripple its economy if it reneged on the good Friday agreement.

Please explain how you would propose to impose a hard border (involving the same and in fact more intrusive checks than will take place in the Irish sea at/next to the border) on a resentful population who will attack any hard border infrastructure and personnel you install - without militarisation.
    If you can explain how, you will no doubt be in-line for several Nobel prizes, so I would be most interested in knowing.

In a hard border situation, militarisation just ups the ante in terms of violence levels. And suddenly we're back in the bad old days. Nobody wants that.

A hard border will not be re-established on a whim. Everyone knows the risks, and the punishment for getting it wrong.

In a hard border situation, militarisation just ups the ante in terms of violence levels. And suddenly we're back in the bad old days. Nobody wants that.

A hard border will not be re-established on a whim. Everyone knows the risks, and the punishment for getting it wrong.
    Of course militarisation ups the ante - however how can you have a "hard" border without infrastructure? And how can you check stuff without people? And what will those people think if they are shot or otherwise attacked by a resentful population? Etc.
    I.e. there is no way to introduce any significant border infrastructure without inevitable escalation - and such border infrastructure is the inevitable consequence of having dissimilar regulatory regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I don't think the UK would impose a hard border,I don't know whether Ireland would under instruction from Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't think the UK would impose a hard border,I don't know whether Ireland would under instruction from Brussels.

Seeing as one of the cornerstones of the EUs negotiating strategy for the WTA was to protect the GFA, it would be a monumental turnaround from them to then demand a border. And I suspect it would need unanimous support across the EU27, and IE would not agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

D'you know, I'm sure we've covered this point at least once before. :rolleyes: Do we really need to go over it again? :mad:

The WA is signed, sealed and delivered; the border-in-Ireland problem has been resolved. Let's move on to talking about whether or not it will serve as a good model for the future border between Scotland and England. :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

By leaving the EU, the default position without an agreement would have been a hard border. There was very little made by the UK to ensure that this would not be an eventual outcome. Thankfully the WA proposed by the EU solved it and now the border (wet rather than hard) exists down the Irish sea.
    As has been said above, let's see how they manage remaining separate from Scotland when they leave the UK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems to me that no one in the UK/NI is in the least worried about Brexit at all.

Lots of very worried people.

But sod all can be done to fix things right now until a few more of the fools who bought into the idea realise what they have been sold and then get around to lynching the idiot architects of the whole mess. Can only really say "told you so" at this point and wait for people to recognise that.

So wait a minute, you are saying that the UK imposed a military border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, murdered hundreds of innocent women and children - for ****s and giggles? They never really had to do it but just felt like it?
    What kind of evil sick b*****ds are and were they?

D'you know, I'm sure we've covered this point at least once before. :rolleyes: Do we really need to go over it again? :mad:

The WA is signed, sealed and delivered; the border-in-Ireland problem has been resolved. Let's move on to talking about whether or not it will serve as a good model for the future border between Scotland and England. :p

I replied to fash who seemed under the impression someone would have military along a border between Ireland and NI which I cannot see the UK attempting to to in any situation and as you've pointed out this has been settled.I said I don't know whether Ireland might impose one if ordered to.

• Advertisement

I replied to fash who seemed under the impression someone would have military along a border between Ireland and NI which I cannot see the UK attempting to to in any situation and as you've pointed out this has been settled.I said I don't know whether Ireland might impose one if ordered to.
    I'll wait for you to respond to my more recent post. This will be fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The UK media have totally ignored the Brexit issue for months now.

That's why it has been buried to the general population. Covid has overtaken Brexit and hidden it from public view.

There is no doubt in my mind anyway that Brexit is not high on the agenda anymore. It's done, and people shrug and get on with it now.

I'll wait for you to respond to my more recent post. This will be fun...

I thought you were trolling tbh,that`s why I did`nt respond.

The UK media have totally ignored the Brexit issue for months now.

That's why it has been buried to the general population. Covid has overtaken Brexit and hidden it from public view.

There is no doubt in my mind anyway that Brexit is not high on the agenda anymore. It's done, and people shrug and get on with it now.

Even those of us who are interested have to sift through the garbage papers like the express puts out which seem to be referring to an alternative universe!

I thought you were trolling tbh,that`s why I did`nt respond.
    No - if you believe there is a way that the UK could do it - please explain why it never did it in the past (and instead murdered, raped, intimidated, oppressed etc. Irish people, women and children for several decades for ****s and giggles).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No - if you believe there is a way that the UK could do it - please explain why it never did it in the past (and instead murdered, raped, intimidated, oppressed etc. Irish people, women and children for several decades for ****s and giggles).
    mod: maybe let's not go down that rabbit hole in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭moon2

Are you actually arguing that Ireland should refuse to honor it's international obligations because the UK may decide to abandon theirs? I really hope we do not end up in that situation.

As a direct result of multiple internationally recognised treaties there was no border required between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

EU membership was one cornerstone of this. The UK have pulled out of that agreement which created the potential for divergence, which in turn would create a border. The UK resolved this problem by negotiating the withdrawal treaty and signing it into law.

If the UK reneges on any of the remaining treaties which ensure a hard border isn't required, then there'll be a border.

If the UK turn a blind eye to this and fail to impose a border despite the incompatible divergence they created, then they'll fall afoul of yet more internationally recognised agreements, which in turn they will have to withdraw from or face the penalty associated with their actions.

In this hypothetical future where the UK have taken these actions, a request to "impose a hard border" would merely be a request for Ireland to abide by the treaties it has signed up to.

So, before we get to the inflammatory, and nonsensical, question of "will Ireland put up a border when Brussels tells it to", take into account everything which must go wrong before this request would even be made.

mod: maybe let's not go down that rabbit hole in this thread.
    Of course- apologies. Do I understand correctly that the point and my question limited to the following is within bounds:
    ' if the brexiter (lie/) trope that "even outside the single market, the UK wouldn't have to put in place a manned/militarised border in Ireland and therefore wouldn't" were true, then the logical corollary is that the UK never really needed to put up a manned/militarised border in the first place. If anyone believes otherwise please explain the inconsistency in detail.

moon2 wrote: »
    Are you actually arguing that Ireland should refuse to honor it's international obligations because the UK may decide to abandon theirs? I really hope we do not end up in that situation.

As a direct result of multiple internationally recognised treaties there was no border required between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

EU membership was one cornerstone of this. The UK have pulled out of that agreement which created the potential for divergence, which in turn would create a border. The UK resolved this problem by negotiating the withdrawal treaty and signing it into law.

If the UK reneges on any of the remaining treaties which ensure a hard border isn't required, then there'll be a border.

If the UK turn a blind eye to this and fail to impose a border despite the incompatible divergence they created, then they'll fall afoul of yet more internationally recognised agreements, which in turn they will have to withdraw from or face the penalty associated with their actions.

In this hypothetical future where the UK have taken these actions, a request to "impose a hard border" would merely be a request for Ireland to abide by the treaties it has signed up to.

So, before we get to the inflammatory, and nonsensical, question of "will Ireland put up a border when Brussels tells it to", take into account everything which must go wrong before this request would even be made.

I don't think anyone wants to see a hard border and as pointed out by Seth,there is already agreement for a an Irish sea border.The original post which speculated on a militarised border doesn't bare thinking about as it would be a catalyst for the return of terrorism.

I don't think anyone wants to see a hard border and as pointed out by Seth,there is already agreement for a an Irish sea border.The original post which speculated on a militarised border doesn't bare thinking about as it would be a catalyst for the return of terrorism.
    But you are saying that even without the single market, a militarised border is unnecessary - so why was there one?

• Advertisement

But you are saying that even without the single market, a militarised border is unnecessary - so why was there one?

To normal law abiding citizens of Ireland and the UK there is no need for a militarised border-who knows how terrorist groups might react is another question and not for the brexit thread.

To normal law abiding citizens of Ireland and the UK there is no need for a militarised border-who knows how terrorist groups might react is another question and not for the brexit thread.
    So why did the British impose one in that case - and let's not forget that almost the moment they removed it, there was peace in Northern Ireland?

Well ... it kinda is, in that peaceful co-existence between the four-and-a-half countries of these islands was achieved in the context of EU membership. The terrorists were tamed on the back of what the Brexiters have referred to as a loss of sovereignty, i.e. we all signed up to something so much bigger than our parish, with common standards and regulations.

But now, the Brexiters have proclaimed that England must be a sovereign, independent nation and feck the rest of the world. As has been pointed out many times already, the DUP's enthusiastic support for a Mad Max Brexit has accelerated the prospect of a United Ireland; but also created the conditions for an increase in anti-English sentiment in Scotland and Wales. And thanks to Covid, we have gone beyond the hypothetical and seen soft borders put in place within the UK - very soft, admitedly, but when you have the Welsh police telling English sunbathers to go back to their own country, you can be sure that there will be citizens ready to take a more violent approach if/when the full effect of an English Brexit is force fed to Wales and Scotland.

Well ... it kinda is, in that peaceful co-existence between the four-and-a-half countries of these islands was achieved in the context of EU membership. The terrorists were tamed on the back of what the Brexiters have referred to as a loss of sovereignty, i.e. we all signed up to something so much bigger than our parish, with common standards and regulations.

But now, the Brexiters have proclaimed that England must be a sovereign, independent nation and feck the rest of the world. As has been pointed out many times already, the DUP's enthusiastic support for a Mad Max Brexit has accelerated the prospect of a United Ireland; but also created the conditions for an increase in anti-English sentiment in Scotland and Wales. And thanks to Covid, we have gone beyond the hypothetical and seen soft borders put in place within the UK - very soft, admitedly, but when you have the Welsh police telling English sunbathers to go back to their own country, you can be sure that there will be citizens ready to take a more violent approach if/when the full effect of an English Brexit is force fed to Wales and Scotland.

Firstly,terrorism was tamed by the GFA and Wales voted for brexit.Regarding brexit,there are no advantages to leaving the EU,Britain was in a much stronger position and has lost prestige and influence as a result of leaving imo.
    If a deal is worked out I do think the UK will remain united and probably kick on depending on the terms of the deal.

Firstly,terrorism was tamed by the GFA and Wales voted for brexit.Regarding brexit,there are no advantages to leaving the EU,Britain was in a much stronger position and has lost prestige and influence as a result of leaving imo.
    If a deal is worked out I do think the UK will remain united and probably kick on depending on the terms of the deal.
    I am still waiting for a response: why did the UK impose a military border if you say it was not necessary?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am still waiting for a response: why did the UK impose a military border if you say it was not necessary?

I think if you ask 'Why did the UK go to war with Argentina over the Falklans/Malvinas islands in 1982?' which was a war, many thousands of miles from Portsmouth, that they nearly lost only for a defect in the French built Exocet missile, then you might have the answer.

Prior to the sinking of the Argentine ship "General Belgrano", while steaming away from the combat zone, with the loss of all lives on board, the British had intended to withdraw from the Falklans, but the Prime Minister of the day had an election to win. What is a short war to a politician?

I am sure there are many books on the subject that might give a better slant on the matter - just read more than the British view.

I would imagine if there was a NI border poll in England, then a United Ireland would be a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a bit of a red herring.

1. There was a militarised border in Ireland because of the security situation in NI.

2. The UK leaving the EU and the Single Market doesn't, in itself, necessitate a militarised border.

3. What it would require, if the UK failed or refused to enter into arrangements to avoid it, is a tax and regulatory border.

4. The consequences of this might conceivable lead to a deterioration in the political and security situation in NI that might, possibly, lead to a need for a security border. But that's not inevitable. Not, in my view, even likely.

5. Hopefully, we won't find out. The UK has entered to the Withdrawal Agreement, whose terms should avoid the need for a tax and regulatory bordeer in Ireland. People who are either idiots or who are cynics trying to appeal to idiots are calling for the UK to repudiate the Withdrawal Agreement, but I don't expect this to happen.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is a bit of a red herring.

1. There was a militarised border in Ireland because of the security situation in NI.

2. The UK leaving the EU and the Single Market doesn't, in itself, necessitate a militarised border.

3. What it would require, if the UK failed or refused to enter into arrangements to avoid it, is a tax and regulatory border.

4. The consequences of this might conceivable lead to a deterioration in the political and security situation in NI that might, possibly, lead to a need for a security border. But that's not inevitable. Not, in my view, even likely.

5. Hopefully, we won't find out. The UK has entered to the Withdrawal Agreement, whose terms should avoid the need for a tax and regulatory bordeer in Ireland. People who are either idiots or who are cynics trying to appeal to idiots are calling for the UK to repudiate the Withdrawal Agreement, but I don't expect this to happen.
    I accept it is not strictly inevitable that a hard border is militarised. I also accept (assuming the UK does not renege on the WA and assuming that NI doesn't vote to align with the UK), that we are dealing with theory only.

What I am addressing however is the brexiter trope/taunt that "we in the UK won't impose a hard border, it is not necessary - it would be the evil EU that would force Ireland to do so".
    If that statement were true (and of course it is not), then someone needs to explain why there was a hard and even militarised border prior to the single market (which they - as potentially represented here by RobMc) cannot.
    The question then arises as to whether he is willing to admit that the natural consequences of the form of brexit sought would have been to impose a hard border (which in the context of NI almost certainly even if not strictly inevitably would result in a militarised border as a consequence of local actors deliberately targeting the UK state assets located close to the border to bring about that result).

Firstly,terrorism was tamed by the GFA and Wales voted for brexit.Regarding brexit

Yes, terrorism was indeed tamed by the GFA - which was largely possible because both parties to the agreement were in the same regulatory environment, making notional arguments about flags and sovereignty irrelevant.

And yes, the English in Wales tipped the Welsh vote in favour of Brexit, but the support for Brexit in Wales has been on a downward slope ever since, and support for Welsh independence (WTF? :eek: ) on the rise.

If English sovereignty is worth fighting for, then the Brexiters can't argue that Scottish or English sovereignty isn't also worth the struggle.

• Advertisement

Yes, terrorism was indeed tamed by the GFA - which was largely possible because both parties to the agreement were in the same regulatory environment, making notional arguments about flags and sovereignty irrelevant.

And yes, the English in Wales tipped the Welsh vote in favour of Brexit, but the support for Brexit in Wales has been on a downward slope ever since, and support for Welsh independence (WTF? :eek: ) on the rise.

If English sovereignty is worth fighting for, then the Brexiters can't argue that Scottish or English sovereignty isn't also worth the struggle.

Your claim that the English tipped the Welsh vote is pretty bizarre and I`m surprised you would come out with something so strange.I don`t think I`ve ever heard anyone claim the EU was responsible for the GFA either.You have`nt been sampling one or two calvados in the afternoon sun have you? :)
    Edit:don`t dis the sons of Glyndwr.:)

Your claim that the English tipped the Welsh vote is pretty bizarre and I`m surprised you would come out with something so strange.I don`t think I`ve ever heard anyone claim the EU was responsible for the GFA either.You have`nt been sampling one or two calvados in the afternoon sun have you? :)
    Edit:don`t dis the sons of Glyndwr.:)
    East Wales - the part infected with English migrants who commute into England voted for brexit while the less infected West part voted remain.

You haven't been paying attention if you hadn't heard anyone claiming the EU was responsible for the GFA: it was and its power to cripple to UK is the only thing that ensured the GFA survived brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Your claim that the English tipped the Welsh vote is pretty bizarre ...
    East Wales - the part infected with English migrants who commute into England voted for brexit while the less infected West part voted remain.

The Guardian had last year an article about the Brexit votes in Wales.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/22/english-people-wales-brexit-research

Lars :)

You haven't been paying attention if you hadn't heard anyone claiming the EU was responsible for the GFA: it was and its power to cripple to UK is the only thing that ensured the GFA survived brexit.

That's actually a very racist post fash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That's actually a very racist post fash.

Racist? I hardly think you could call it that... Anglophobic maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Swap around the location and nationality for Kent and Syrians and have it printed in The Daily Mail and I think most people would be calling it out as being racist.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Swap around the location and nationality for Kent and Syrians and have it printed in The Daily Mail and I think most people would be calling it out as being racist.

Well ... yeah, if you change all the original parameters, other than sticking with the same species, you could present a convincing argument ... :rolleyes:

More to the point is that Brexit has created a situation where the English are now increasingly considered by other white West Europeans in the same category as Syrian immigrant/refugees - either an "infection" responsible for societal problems, or a third world country deserving of our pity and charitable aid.

I have a young Welsh lass staying with me at the moment, and her comments about the English are definitely more anglo/xenophobic than what fash has written. Listening to her now, in the summer of 2020, I am reminded of conversations I had with youths of the same age back in Dublin in the 1980s. That was not a good time to be English in certain parts of Ireland.

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the UK right now about the government's mishandling of the attribution of A-level grades - another entirely foreseeable but manageable problem that they seem to have made much, much worse by not thinking it through. This, IMO, is the hallmark of Brexitry and all who adhere to the cult; and I quite convinced that their continued "racially" insensitive blundering will radicalise parts of Scotland and Wales in ways that eventually require the need for either a new Act of Union or a GFA-equivalent on the island of GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the UK right now about the government's mishandling of the attribution of A-level grades - another entirely foreseeable but manageable problem that they seem to have made much, much worse by not thinking it through. This, IMO, is the hallmark of Brexitry and all who adhere to the cult; and I quite convinced that their continued "racially" insensitive blundering will radicalise parts of Scotland and Wales in ways that eventually require the need for either a new Act of Union or a GFA-equivalent on the island of GB.

If the UK cared about their children's futures, they wouldn't have voted to Brexit. This A-level thing is deck chairs on the Titanic. Why sweat how many A levels you get, when there'll be no jobs and your European opportunities (Erasmus?) will be closed to you anyway.

It's a convenient deflection from the impending chaos of Brexit which will be in the UK in force in 137 days

robinph wrote: »

In that instance, it actually would be racist... I'm not saying what he wrote isn't offensive but it wasn't racist. I'm probably being overly pedantic.

In that instance, it actually would be racist... I'm not saying what he wrote isn't offensive but it wasn't racist. I'm probably being overly pedantic.
    With the PC woke brigade forever widening the net of what is considered offensive, it is only a matter of time when you can't say anything about any other group without being accused of racism!

Fine with me,fash had been trolling me for a couple of days and his 'infected'comment did annoy me but if he just has a 'phobia'about the English that's amusing although not sure he would be happy you describing him as 'having an extreme fear of the English'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Fine with me,fash had been trolling me for a couple of days and his 'infected'comment did annoy me but if he just has a 'phobia'about the English that's amusing although not sure he would be happy you describing him as 'having an extreme fear of the English'.

I think we should have a healthy fear of the English given all that has happened in the last 4 years.

With us in the 'blast zone' and no telling what they will do in the next 4 years, showing no regard for other countries, I believe fear is justified.

Phobic can also mean 'having an intolerance or aversion for' according to Merriam-Webster, hence the terms transphobic or homophobic. It doesn't just mean an 'extreme fear of'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Don't accuse people of trolling on thread please. Use the report function.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

his 'infected'comment did annoy me
    I don't blame you for being annoyed.

If there had been an article in the Daily Mail/Express in the 1980s describing Kilburn as a part of London "infected with Irish migrants", there would, quite rightly, have been a storm of protest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Igotadose wrote: »
    If the UK cared about their children's futures, they wouldn't have voted to Brexit. This A-level thing is deck chairs on the Titanic. Why sweat how many A levels you get, when there'll be no jobs and your European opportunities (Erasmus?) will be closed to you anyway.

It's a convenient deflection from the impending chaos of Brexit which will be in the UK in force in 137 days

The scary thing is this wasn't meant to be a distraction, seeing as they have been forced into another u-turn this afternoon. This is just plain incompetence brought to you by the people that told people to vote for Brexit based off lies. There isn't some great plan to keep throwing dead cats on the table, its just people not capable of being in charge finding themselves at the top and the results being exposed.

James O'Brien tweeted about it, this is what happens when you select your cabinet not based of expertise or talent.

Me "trolling" you?
    You are the one claiming that a border is NOT the inevitable consequence of the UK leaving the single market and that if a border is installed it is only because of the nasty EU and the UK would never go such a thing - despite the fact that nowhere in the world in history has there ever not been borders between regulatory areas.
    You are also entirely unable to explain why if that were indeed the case the UK nevertheless installed a (militarised) border in Ireland, employed 1/3rd of the British army to police it plus murdered hundreds etc. to ensure it remained in place.

I'm waiting for your explanation - or if you were being honest your admission that Brexit inevitably means borders - and one had to be put between NI and GB or else reinstalled (with inevitably escalating violence) upon the resentful border population.

In the meantime, it is interesting to look at the evidence of the inevitable cognitive dissonance battle occasionally leaking out.

This is my post about borders.
    You're being economical with the truth about what I said along with your 'infestation 'comments fash which I view as racist.

This is my post about borders.
    You're being economical with the truth about what I said along with your 'infestation 'comments fash which I view as racist.
    In what way was I "economical with the truth"?
    Again to paraphrase, you said "I don't think the brave, honest and noble Brexit UK would but I suspect the the evil cowardly EU would force the poor Irish to do so".
    Yet when given the opportunity to NOT put up a border in the past (according to you - but not to any competent or honest person who speaks on the matter), the UK has done so.

So the follow-up question to your point (which you refuse to answer because it shows that you are trying to make a point that you know is wrong and doing so what in to me can only be bad faith) is if what you were saying were true, why did the UK install a hard militarised border?

Look I'm going to keep asking you this question until you answer or leave the forum. So you might as well answer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . .why did the UK install a hard militarised border?

Look I'm going to keep asking you this question until you answer or leave the forum. So you might as well answer now.
    We've already discussed this. They militarised the border because the political/security situation required it.

And, Brexit or no brexit, Single Market or no Single Market, if things went pear-shaped in NI again and the political/security deteriorated to a point where military control of the border was required, the UK could have erected a security border again.

The Custom Union guarantees that there will be no customs border. The Single Market guarantees that there will be no fiscal border, and no regulatory border. But neither the Customs Union nor the Single Market ever guaranteed that there would be no security border. And even if the UK remained in the Customs Union and the Single Market, that would not guarantee that a security border could not be erected again.

Conversely, the UK leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market does not mean that a security border will arise. What it does mean, if nothing else happens, is that a fiscal and regulatory border will arise. And if the UK Brexited, and failed or refused to enter into agreed replacement arrangements with the EU to avoid the need for a fiscal and regulatory border, then the UK would be choosing to erect a fiscal and regulatory border and would be responsible for doing so, and Brexiters who claimed otherwise were either fools or knaves. But dragging in questions about militarised borders and security borders and so forth simply obscures this key point. If I were you I'd drop it. You're on a hiding to nothing.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    We've already discussed this. They militarised the border because the political/security situation required it.

And, Brexit or no brexit, Single Market or no Single Market, if things went pear-shaped in NI again and the political/security deteriorated to a point where military control of the border was required, the UK could have erected a security border again.

The Custom Union guarantees that there will be no customs border. The Single Market guarantees that there will be no fiscal border, and no regulatory border. But neither the Customs Union nor the Single Market ever guaranteed that there would be no security border. And even if the UK remained in the Customs Union and the Single Market, that would not guarantee that a security border could not be erected again.

Conversely, the UK leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market does not mean that a security border will arise. What it does mean, if nothing else happens, is that a fiscal and regulatory border will arise. And if the UK Brexited, and failed or refused to enter into agreed replacement arrangements with the EU to avoid the need for a fiscal and regulatory border, then the UK would be choosing to erect a fiscal and regulatory border and would be responsible for doing so, and Brexiters who claimed otherwise were either fools or knaves. But dragging in questions about militarised borders and security borders and so forth simply obscures this key point. If I were you I'd drop it. You're on a hiding to nothing.

As regards the customs and regulatory border (and its relationship to a militarised border)- yes, I know that, you know that - and everyone with a basic understanding knows that - however RobMc refuses to acknowledge it and instead parroted and continues to parrot the frankly dishonest and insulting Brexiter assertion that UK wouldn't have installed any border infrastructure in NI at all (and wouldn't have been responsible for the necessity for same) - even had the UK left the single market and customs Union. Assuming his statement were accurate, the question then arises, if true, why didn't the UK do so?

Edit: ... Or to put it another way, to apply your words to the current situation is RobMc being a "fool or a knave"?

Nevertheless, I take your point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement