Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Doodah7

A whole lot of nothing really. Although I'm intrigued by SMT IV and V having not played any in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

Meh.

Yeah i skipped through it.

If the date hadn't been leaked, it would have been an okay surprise but seemed just thrown together at the last minute and could have easily been done on their social media platforms!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah it does seem like these couldn't worked as tweets, but probably felt they should do one to try and keep people happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nocturne HD and nice look at SMT V were very nice surprises. Really hope SMT V doesn't fall into pushed back hell. Pretty short Direct otherwise, kinda strange they'd have one just for an 8 min presentation, unless there is going to be multiple ones every few weeks etc. They only said others 'this year' though. Strange one.

I think we'll hear more of first party and the Mario collections soon enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Desperate stuff altogether. Totally pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it was pretty great. Finally getting some SMTV news and a release date. SMT 4 and Apocalyse were amazing and Atlus have been on a roll making amazing RPGs.

Then top it off with a remaster of SMT Nocturne which is far and away the best PS2 era RPG and finally in portable form. I played the PS2 version about 2 years ago and it's an incredible game.

I joked on Discord that it would have that awful wrestling game because the Tweet said "Mini" and "small group". And yet, sure enough it was there. The video has equal likes/dislikes thus far on Youtube, 30k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Hopefully Argos stocks the Atlus and SMT games they've got Catherine in at the moment if that sells well hopefully they will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atlus are now owned by Sega and if they carry Sega games they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty great. Finally getting some SMTV news and a release date. SMT 4 and Apocalyse were amazing and Atlus have been on a roll making amazing RPGs.

Then top it off with a remaster of SMT Nocturne which is far and away the best PS2 era RPG and finally in portable form. I played the PS2 version about 2 years ago and it's an incredible game.

You're the outlier, Retr0.
    Looks like this has been universally panned. Haven't read any (other) positive impressions.

Mr E wrote: »
    You're the outlier, Retr0.
    Looks like this has been universally panned. Haven't read any (other) positive impressions.

Which I find of kind insane. I mean first it's a mini so didn't expect anything massive to be announced.

But what we got was a remaster of one of the all time great RPGs and one of the most well regarded by fans of the genre, many consider it the best of all time. And then SMTV gets a release date. It's a mainline series game in the series that gave us Persona and SMT4 and Apocalypse where both amazing and critically well received. What's not to like? And what were people expecting from a 'mini'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It just was a strange Direct to have at all when it was that quick. I've been looking forward to SMT V for a long time so it's a shame it was re-announced in an event like this. Just seems unnecessary. It's more what isn't announced is what most are disappointed at really.

Likes/dislikes on social media is a hilariously bad way to judge anything though. A lot of video game fans would dislike a video if there was a woman presenting it, nevermind a game they didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Opening with DLC and devoting any amount of time to that WWE mess was just really disappointing. SMT V aside, everything there could have and should have been a tweet from Nintendo.

We haven't heard about SMT 5 in so long it was nice to know it wasn't cancelled, although Atlus insisted it was coming. Atlus really announce their games way too early. SMT 4 and Persona 5 took ages to come after announcement and they are a small team. At least it's nailed down.

I'm not sure what people were expecting? F-Zero from Sega? (which would be awesome).

It's very obvious Nintendo will be drip feeding out announcements in the next few weeks as they've no E3 or TGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

They had a really good formula with a Direct every couple of months with Iwata at the helm.

I think it's good to announce a game a couple of months in advance to generate hype; Paper Mario: The Origami King has just under two months!
    Even with potential delays due to covid-19, they could at least reveal what's coming up in the next few months rather than showing us games launching in 2021! They've said that all games for this fiscal year have not been delayed thus far. I'm sure we'll get it soon but just a little frustrating they won't announce them!

The best news from that Direct was Shin Megami Tensei V getting a release date. But that's tempered too, it’s a vague 2021. There are countless games that we don't even know about, including from Nintendo, that will be out before it. I can see why people didn't like it, it's in a genre not everyone cares for. It showed no gameplay, it was in Japanese with English subtitles. And remember, this game was announced 3 and a half years ago! Potentially almost 5 years from January 2017 to its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shin Megami Tensei V....I imagine will be late next year. The remake of SMT 3 which is also coming to PS4 is in the spring.
    Overpriced DLC for the already overpriced Cadence of Hyrule, a really poor looking WWE game and some generic online shooter that I imagine is free to play.
    I would have waited to announce most of that as unless you are a fan of 2021 and Atlus JRPG's not called Persona there wasn't a lot to get excited about.

I'm sure Nintendo have some remakes or something for later this year but these short notice, underwhelming surprises ain't exactly what people want right now.

ERG89 wrote: »
    some generic online shooter that I imagine is free to play.

It's not free, yet. There's 3 packs, starting at €15, then, €30 and finally €60. There will be a free version at a later date.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Rogue-Company-1634641.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kinda related, but the Japanese Direct featured a release date for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin on Nov 12 in Japan. No word on a western release date.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Kinda related, but the Japanese Direct featured a release date for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin on Nov 12 in Japan. No word on a western release date.

Pretty sure it's getting one at least. Saw XSeed or marvellous or one of those niche publishers advertising it on Facebook.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's getting one at least. Saw XSeed or marvellous or one of those niche publishers advertising it on Facebook.

Found the vid. Its hitting America on Nov 10th, Japan Nov 12th and Europe on Nov 20th. These could be interchanged based on platform (seen Kotaku state global PC release on 10th Nov).

Base.com is great for those xseed and Marvelous games they're often dirt cheap after a few weeks with the odd few staying at a high price.

Pqube is the other publisher but they tend to do the more risque games

Also found out, that while we in the West were learning more about the amazing Rogue Company and that WWE trash, Japan had not only Sakuna but also announced that Atelier Ryza 2 releasing there this winter. English website for it goes live on the 29th, so possibly a release date for this end of the world announced then.

Just started Rorona DX as been wanting to play the series for a while, and to just play a JRPG since forever. Can see a stark difference visually 14 odd years makes from this trailer :pac:

Really enjoyed the first Ryza and she is the best protagonist the series has had in a while so good to see a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Atelier Ryza is now down as low as €31.41 on the Eshop till the 4th of August.

The next Indie World showcase is headed your way! Tune in 18/08 at 5pm (Irish time) for roughly 20 minutes of information on indie games coming to Nintendo Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

Does an indie world always come before an actual direct or did I just make that up in the hope of an actual direct? 😂

Advertisement