Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Isn't Switch online due its annual upgrade soon... Gameboy emulation and games ?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you read those wiki links, but they all confirm the three games are some of the best RPGs on the GB and incredibly influential to those RPGs that followed.
    More importantly, still worth playing if you like 8/16 bit style role playing games.

Sorry if I find it hard to get excited about remakes of 30-year-old Game Boy games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

glasso wrote: »
    Sorry if I find it hard to get excited about remakes of 30-year-old Game Boy games.

You should be! :mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The optimist in me reckons that they are getting these smaller reveals out of the way for a much bigger 1st part focused Direct.

There's still some decent stuff in this mini direct and the Indie one last week had plenty of good games.

I've no interest in Final Fantasy games but not every game announcement needs to be something I'd like. 90% of movies are stuff I wouldn't be interested in but I don't give out that they exist!

ah come on, like where is Metroid 4 or I'd even take more mario remakes / re-releases over that completely underwhelming presentation. Wasn't even worth a presentation imo

it's obvious at this stage that BOTW2 is going to launch with the Switch 2 / Switch Hardware refresh - like they did with BOTW itself and also TLOZ:TP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Direct Mini was weak. There was some stuff that would interest some people, for sure, but as an overall package you expect better. Exacerbated by the fact that we're still waiting on a main Direct and people's frustrations are real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

I've dallied off into Xbox land, discounted console, cheap end of generation games, while I'm waiting for Nintendo to get back from their Animal Crossing honey moon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ah come on, like where is Metroid 4 or I'd even take more mario remakes / re-releases over that completely underwhelming presentation. Wasn't even worth a presentation imo

it's obvious at this stage that BOTW2 is going to launch with the Switch 2 / Switch Hardware refresh - like they did with BOTW itself and also TLOZ:TP

You can't expect to see first party games in an indie or a partner direct.

Star Lord wrote: »

It's where are they in general? - lacking is where.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Star Lord wrote: »
    The point is we're just a week away from it being a full year since the last main Direct. I do expect there'll be one soon (and it'll probably be very good) but man that's a long wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's where are they in general? - lacking is where.

There's a full direct rumoured / expected for next month

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hasn't that been the same rumour the past few months? Just like there was rumour of tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony released two first party games on PS4 this year. Nintendo are doing alright going by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They will hold off on Metroid Prime 4 until the next system, it was announced far too early and has already switched studios since.
    I'm sure pre covid they expected BOTW 2 to be out this year as its been 3 & 1/2 years since BOTW. I expect the same overworld and game mechanics to be used again for it.
    I'm not as fussed about the lack of first party games as most of the ones I bought in the last year or so Pokemon Sword, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Link's Awakening weren't overly impressive so I'm going to wait to buy first party Nintendo games, especially as most are just remakes and re-releases; not since the GBA has Nintendo been relying on remakes for a console's library as much as they are now. I enjoyed Mario Maker 2 but Nintendo stopped adding any new content to that less than a year after it released so its up to that community to keep it going.

I really don't think a new switch is imminent. Maybe a Pro equivalent but the timing isn't right for one now. Momentum for the switch is still strong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I'm not sure if it was WIRED or Ars was talking about just another revision of the Switch. Some changes within the case but same Tegra chip. If Gamestop do the same trade-in again, I'll probably take it to extend my warranty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't think a new switch is imminent. Maybe a Pro equivalent but the timing isn't right for one now. Momentum for the switch is still strong.

+1 - the Switch as a platform is 3.5 years old, that's a dumb point in the lifecycle to introduce a replacement, especially when the Switch had to be brought forward to compensate for the Wii U's commercial failure.

I don't have enough time for the games I own and want to play, so can't imagine having time spare to feel frustrated at lack of news about new games (that I won't have time to play for ages anyway). Mind you, I also skip the Lengthy Adverts (as I mentally categorise Nintendo Directs, and the equivalents from any other company) because all I need is a list of game titles and release dates.

Sony released two first party games on PS4 this year. Nintendo are doing alright going by that.

that's a bit facile though.

First-party games are more significant for the switch because it's not going to get most of the other games that come to consoles because it's running on a mobile tablet chipset so it can't handle triple A game ports from the big third-party developers. you'll get a lot of the indie games yes.

Did get a couple or three reasonable ones like the Witcher 3 or Doom but those days are gone with the new console hardware now being developed for which 10x the power of the switch.

So first-party is far more significant in the case of the switch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would say "availability of good first party games for the switch" is important. This thread lately seems to have a fair bit of grousing that they aren't been given enough Jam Tomorrow to enthuse about. With Switch sales the way the have been going, and Animal Crossing shifting units the way it has done, Nintendo looks to be doing just fine.

A Direct is an advert, ultimately. I suspect that when viewed like that, we've all got better things to do with our time than worry about when we're next going to see an advert from a company, even if we really like their stuff :)

Fysh wrote: »
    I would say "availability of good first party games for the switch" is important. This thread lately seems to have a fair bit of grousing that they aren't been given enough Jam Tomorrow to enthuse about. With Switch sales the way the have been going, and Animal Crossing shifting units the way it has done, Nintendo looks to be doing just fine.

A Direct is an advert, ultimately. I suspect that when viewed like that, we've all got better things to do with our time than worry about when we're next going to see an advert from a company, even if we really like their stuff :)

have never watched one, never will watch one.

the only factor to consider them for is to read a short summary after online about what is going to be released.

"Nintendo doing fine" doesn't mean that there should be no decent pipeline of game releases for the switch.

• Advertisement

have never watched one, never will watch one.

the only factor to consider them for is to read a short summary after online about what is going to be released.

"Nintendo doing fine" doesn't mean that there should be no decent pipeline of game releases for the switch.

Depends how you define "decent", I guess :) I count Ape Out and Untitled Goose Game amongst the best gaming experiences I've had on the Switch, and I'll be re-buying A Short Hike on Switch because I love the game. There seems to be no shortage of quality indie games coming to Switch, either launching on switch or porting afterwards. It's not difficult to fill the gap between 1st party games that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to play Metroid Prime 4 and F-Zero HX or whatever, but I'd rather wait for them to be good than have another Other M scenario. A good game late is better than a regular, on-time succession of mediocre or rubbish ones, and with a pandemic still playing merry hell with all sorts of aspects of work generally, I think it's understandable that Nintendo aren't saying "here's what we'll be releasing over the next few months" because between trying to sort out the hardware supply chain and figure out how to safely resume software development with a distributed or remote working model, all their previous project milestone dates are probably scuppered. Think of it this way - if Nintendo in 2020 still doesn't get how to make a properly good online service, there's a good chance their working practices leave something to be desired...

People are forgetting that nintendo unlike other companies can announce a new big project and release it within 6 weeks. Look at paper mario. Pretty sure they had stuff to show at E3 this year and TGS that got delayed but I'm sure they will have something out by xmas, at the very least the rumoured mario remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'd be happy with a new Mario Kart at this stage. Or even just some new levels for MK8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

People are forgetting that nintendo unlike other companies can announce a new big project and release it within 6 weeks. Look at paper mario. Pretty sure they had stuff to show at E3 this year and TGS that got delayed but I'm sure they will have something out by xmas, at the very least the rumoured mario remasters.

I can play Super Mario Sunshine now in HD on the PC!

Hmm...

I wonder if I can play Mario Galaxy on it, without a Wiimote...

Experimentation to be done, methinks...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Hmm...

I'd say the same experimentation has been done by Nintendo if Galaxy is to make it onto the Switch for folks (like myself) play with the Joy-Cons attached to the console at all times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently I can map the motion controls to one of the thumb sticks for Super Mario Galaxy and it's sequel.
    If it works, I will be giving a whole heap of my Wii titles the Dolphin treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Does the Wii U run Wii games in HD or do they just run natively in that partitioned off Wii space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Does the Wii U run Wii games in HD or do they just run natively in that partitioned off Wii space?

They run natively but you are getting the best possible output of the picture with HDMI vs component cables on a normal Wii.

Hmm...

If you get one of the many supported Bluetooth adapters you can play it with a Wiimote, assuming you've got one (and a battery operated sensor bar, or failing that two candles suitably placed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I got the Mayflash USB powered Sensor bar. Only tested it with Boom Blox and it picked up the Wiimote grand.

Advertisement