Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Arms fighter in Smash, Panzer Dragoon out today, Burnout Paradise Remastered coming and that interesting Worldwide Games were all nice announcements. Notable no bigger announcements mentioned or hinted. Summer Direct will be interesting.

Also must get my hands on Ring Fit as well when stock replenishes, seems to have been a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

ARMS fighter in Smash to me is the most interesting. i've not played the game (will now with the free month pass) but I can see a variety of its characters represented like what was done with Bowser Jr and the Koopalings. If Spring Man is upgraded from assist trophy to playable fighter, I'm going to call it and say Waluigi will be revealed as a fighter during their E3/June direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Arms is a great game. Highly recommend. This will give it a bit of a sales boost too id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So will the Free Play on Arms from today till April 6th if you've an up to date Sub

From March 26, 2020 (17:00) to April 6, 2020 (11:59 p.m.), Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will be able to play ARMS for free as part of the Games test program! Players who currently benefit from the free 7-day trial period at Nintendo Switch Online, and those who have not yet activated it, can also take advantage of this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Any dates on BioShock, burnout, star wars racer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Any dates on BioShock, burnout, star wars racer?

Bioshock release date is in the trailer if I'm not mistaken, 29th May. But you may also want to hear about its "physical release". It's not just Bioshock that has this problem. I'll bite my tongue.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/357908-2k-clarifies-what-is-isn-t-on-the-game-cards-for-bioshock-infinit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That info needs to be stickyed 35gb for boarderlands pre sequel no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They are all huge games. The alternative is multiple cartridges (and a huge price hike).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What's the point in a physical release with part of the game not on-cart, though? I mean, ok, I own Starlink and that had a 6GB download from when I first put it in my Switch, not to mention the Crimson Moon update. But those were at least post-launch. And this is hardly a new phenomenon - every time this happens, the reaction is (predictably, and understandably) the same.

1 game on cart and the others as downloads would still be a better approach than "part of each game on-cart but DL required for the rest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

That direct was a bit bland for me.
    I know it was just a mini direct.
    Maybe good if you like turn based RPGS.
    No real new Nintendo first party stuff to look forward to.
    The wait continues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:
    They are all huge games. The alternative is multiple cartridges (and a huge price hike).

I'd far rather 3 cartridges with the 3 games on them in fairness. Price be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Grassey wrote: »
    I'd far rather 3 cartridges with the 3 games on them in fairness. Price be damned.

But then you'd have people complaining that it €120 for the three games. They can't win either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The BioShock approach makes sense. A large portion of players never finish games (I've a giant pile that I've never even started) . So moving that off disk is good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sounds like 2K should just release them digitally. I don't get why they have opening acts of each 3 BioShock games on it instead of just going with the original, it would fit on a 16GB cartridge. Hilarious that Borderlands needs a 6.6GB download with a 8GB card instead of just using an 16MB card :o

I could see why they shadow dropped this direct. Not a lot of new nnouncements. Bravely Default 2 demo & the Xenoblade Chronicles remake I guess that's what Nintendo will release for their summer. The free updates for Animal Crossing they advertise always looks like something that should have been in the base game anyway, real low effort stuff. Pokemon Sword/Shield, I wish would just go away now, I can't even be bothered to finish it they are so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Most 2k sports games on Switch had massive amounts to be downloaded they didn't/couldn't port WWE 2k19 or 20 to switch as the files were huge and 18 tanked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very poor direct, the 2k stuff is nice but played them on other systems, most of the stuff we knew about already through leaks and no real Nintendo first party stuff at all. Next direct will be months away yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

At this time with the way things are we can’t really be fussy with what games we are going to be getting we don’t know how all these shutdowns are going to effect the games industry,

Myself I have played borderlands 2 on the ps3 PS4 vita Xbox one and pc, I am still going to buy it again on the switch as it’s a amazing game,

Then for bio shock it’s one of my fav games of all time and I can’t wait to get it for the switch,

2K know what they're at and it's a scummy practise. They'll dupe some poor suckers. It gets them a case on store shelves for advertising at minimal cost to them. Plus, by putting a bit of each game on the cartridge, ensures that you don't own anything outright.

The alternative is charging over €100 for multiple cartridges or selling them separately.

Blame Nintendo, not 2K.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking that maybe the reason they didn't have anything to show of the ARMS fighter was due to the previous rumour we heard. There was the rumour the next fighter was finished or near completion but due to the virus, they couldn't work with the third party that owns the character to get it completed and signed off. So they move on to an Nintendo character instead.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    The alternative is charging over €100 for multiple cartridges or selling them separately.

Blame Nintendo, not 2K.

I do blame Nintendo, for being so adverse to piracy, that they chose a very expensive proprietary medium. Yes, go proprietary, but not to the detriment of consumers. They don't care though, as long as they're profits are protected. It's ridiculous that 3 years later and only a handful of games have used 32GB cartridges, and I'm sure Nintendo cut a deal on some of them, e.g. Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 being a launch game. We've gone from 25GB capacity discs that were standard and cheap as chips, to where some developers can't even afford 8GB cartridges, nevermind 16GB.

2K do shoulder a little of the blame. They could have put one game on the cartridge and the other as downloads. But I've no sooner said that, than you potentially run into another problem. Though it doesn't have to be. There shouldn't be need for one-time download codes in the box for the other games. Owning the cartridge should give you access to all games. I think that's how the Trine Collection works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Remember the 64GB cartridges that were meant to arrive in 2018?

I'm sure they will come along eventually but they could have solved a few problems these last 2 years. But proprietry cartridges only really works for Nintendo who design their games from the start to fit on those. But 9/10 a 3rd party studios don't want the headache of compressing them down as it's a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I really don't think physical games make sense for the Switch.
    And I think it'll all go subscription model ...

I buy Nintendo first party games on physical - but that's so I can share 'em and sell 'em and collect 'em.

sligeach wrote: »
    Owning the cartridge should give you access to all games. I think that's how the Trine Collection works.

The cartridge just has Trine 4. The other 3 are downloaded with a single download code.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not attributing blame to 2K with their track record and general god tier scummy practises with almost every release they have is madness. Nintendo haven't been able to get down the prices of carts sure, their fault, but proper companies can put out proper releases if they wanted to. CD Project Red actually put effort into their port. 2K with their resources, could if they wanted to. The problem is they come from the sports game background recently where a lot of people will lap up anything that they release no matter how buggy or horrible transaction laden they are.

Mr E wrote: »
    The cartridge just has Trine 4. The other 3 are downloaded with a single download code.

Then that's scummy as well.

Even though there's no Nintendo Direct this month, I think we'll get some new Nintendo game announcement or a new trailer for an upcoming big title this week. E3 was due to start tomorrow, so there's that. These announcements could have been due last week, who knows, but even if they were, stuff got moved around, given the strife going on in the world, including the PlayStation 5 event. Nintendo might want to throw a rock or two to distract from that, which is rumoured to now take place on the 12th June.

Today and around about now would be the time that Nintendo would be having their E3 Direct if it wasn't for the Coronavirus. Instead, we have nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We have each other

Advertisement