Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

AngryLips wrote: »
    Isn't that the old North Wall train station? Surely they could use that instead of building a new one :pac:

Yes, that’s what has been proposed, with another exit in the park space next the Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

ncounties wrote: »
    Yes, that’s what has been proposed, with another exit in the park space next the Luas stop.

Restored correctly that could look really well as a rail station with the modern office blocks all around it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

roadmaster wrote: »
    Restored correctly that could look really well as a rail station with the modern office blocks all around it

Yep, best way to preserve part of the city's heritage.

Be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

L1011 wrote: »
    The presser about the Kildare line design project specifically mentions 1.5kV DC - it had been suggested here that 25kV AC was going to be used with new units being dual mode.

Going back to this, is it possible that we will see 1.5kV DC continue to be used for DART but that 25kV AC could be used for other services in future? In the case of the Kildare line, as it will have DART operating separately from commuter/intercity services, the two DART tracks could be 1.5kV DC to tie in with the existing DART network but the other two tracks 25kV AC (whenever they get round to electrifying them). Do different power supplies operate side by side elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's what they're building currently isn't it?

fit?height=489&type=jpeg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fcdn.bisnow.net%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F2019%2F01%2F5c45c324c1382-spencerplace_hotel.jpeg&width=717&sign=crRACD3hkHZGS7xEysM6Ob29crTnn9FXBXji8gU5pQ0

11%20NEWS%20Spencer%20Place%20pic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That's what they're building currently isn't it?

fit?height=489&type=jpeg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fcdn.bisnow.net%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F2019%2F01%2F5c45c324c1382-spencerplace_hotel.jpeg&width=717&sign=crRACD3hkHZGS7xEysM6Ob29crTnn9FXBXji8gU5pQ0

No, it's the one next door to this, the red brick that you can see cut off on the left of this image. The one being redeveloped right now is the British Rail Hotel

See Archiseek here.

Here's the hotel as well, here.

CatInABox wrote: »
    No, it's the one next door to this, the red brick that you can see cut off on the left of this image. The one being redeveloped right now is the British Rail Hotel

See Archiseek here.

Here's the hotel as well, here.

It would be great if they could restore the old ticket entry hall to it's former glory with three access doors and a canopy. The exit being on the NE side, would have the perfect angle for those continuing on along the new pedestrian bridge to GCD.

01-LNWR-North-Wall-station-1906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The hotel is one fine looking building.

Red brick ages so well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Going back to this, is it possible that we will see 1.5kV DC continue to be used for DART but that 25kV AC could be used for other services in future? In the case of the Kildare line, as it will have DART operating separately from commuter/intercity services, the two DART tracks could be 1.5kV DC to tie in with the existing DART network but the other two tracks 25kV AC (whenever they get round to electrifying them). Do different power supplies operate side by side elsewhere?

London has mixed voltages but tend to keep the searate.

In London they use a three rail system for what used to be Southern Region (Waterloo, Charing Cross, Victoria etc.) while the NWR lines use 25 kv OH lines (Euston, Kings Cross, St Pancras, etc.) while the London Underground and Overground use a four rail system. All kept separate except for some services that cross the city, like the Luton to Brighton service that has dual voltage trains.

So yes we could go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

Another problem that must be borne in mind with AC power is that the trains become heavier because they have to carry transformers to convert AC power to DC. This fine over long distances where acceleration is not so important but having fewer substations is a major plus. The question is where to do AC to DC conversion - at substations (which means more substations because DC does not travel as well) or on the train at the cost of more weight and worse acceleration.

City rail systems will obviously always be better suited to DC, as that allows lighter trains to better handle stop-start service patterns, which is why trams and metros will always be DC. Long distance services will always be better suited to AC.

So the real question is what is planned for railway services in Ireland? If there's no plan to electrify intercity services, then the DART should simply be expanded with 1500V DC. On the other hand, if there are plans to electrify long distance service, there could be a case for making some or all of the network 25kV AC at 50hz.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    So the real question is what is planned for railway services in Ireland? If there's no plan to electrify intercity services, then the DART should simply be expanded with 1500V DC. On the other hand, if there are plans to electrify long distance service, there could be a case for making some or all of the network 25kV AC at 50hz.

Yes but thats not really a question for DART+ though. Retaining the existing DART 1500V DC makes it cheaper and less disruptive to expand the existing system rather than replacing, as well as the practical benefits for regular stopping services as you described.

Under DART+ we should get: Kildare line to have 2 x 1500V DC tracks for DART and 2 x non-electrified tracks for longer distant services which could become 25kV AC in future; Maynooth line becomes 1500V DC, the tracks further out will likely remain un-electrified for a long time, and even when/if that happens (other technologies may exist by then) it might make more sense to create a new link from west of Maynooth to the Kildare line for AC trains; the Northern Line will remain as is with 1500V DC expanded north, electrification all the way to Belfast is decades away and alternative new track will be needed by then anyway which could be AC.

It is more a question for Cork urban/suburban rail electrification. Should the Cork system be 25kV AC so that intercity trains can also use it from Mallow south? The extra weight on Cork DART-style trains is probably less of an issue than the future cost of using DC on the whole Dublin - Cork route. Is dual power an option, either for the tracks or the trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's a shame they're not looking at Dart+ to Kilcock because that's very much a suburb of Dublin these days. It'll become the Greystones of this decade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

It's a shame they're not looking at Dart+ to Kilcock because that's very much a suburb of Dublin these days. It'll become the Greystones of this decade

Presumably because the line becomes single track after Maynooth and would be part of a larger development to add a 2nd track line?

I'd imagine if they can make it out to Maynooth, a spur to Kilcock will be on the cards at some stage similar to how the Greystones extension in 2001 was done (I'm aware that is also single track but to add an extra line to that is a much bigger project due to the cliff face).

Edit: I did just see that the short hop zone now extends out to Kilcock actually.

It would be great if they could restore the old ticket entry hall to it's former glory with three access doors and a canopy. The exit being on the NE side, would have the perfect angle for those continuing on along the new pedestrian bridge to GCD.

01-LNWR-North-Wall-station-1906.jpg

I was down that way yesterday and to be honest, there's no way to fit a platform between the old station building and the luas tracks., like how would they deal with the luas tracks intersecting with the train line? More probable is that they'd terminate the line just before the luas tracks - though it looks like there something being built there.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm aware that is also single track but to add an extra line to that is a much bigger project due to the cliff face

Almost as big a project as four-tracking the line into Heuston that's within scope of the current project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I was down that way yesterday and to be honest, there's no way to fit a platform between the old station building and the luas tracks., like how would they deal with the luas tracks intersecting with the train line? More probable is that they'd terminate the line just before the luas tracks - though it looks like there something being built there.

Almost as big a project as four-tracking the line into Heuston that's within scope of the current project.

Maybe i have misunderstood big time but would the platform not be underground especially if DU happens

Maybe i have misunderstood big time but would the platform not be underground especially if DU happens

Are they planning on putting it underground as part of Dart+? That seems ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

That was my impression, a station box would be built there (Luas temporarily terminating further back during construction) tunnels going off for DU prepared, and then the old station hopefully reopened as a surface entrance, and hopefully a bit of commercial business in it, cafes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The idea from the NTA is for the current Docklands station to be moved 500m to the east and south to be adjacent to Spencer Dock LUAS stop.

It was suggested that it would extend through the archways of the bridge under Sheriff Street Upper, using the land currently used for access to the NTA coach parking facilities, and the station be on Mayor Street Upper.

It would still be an overground station. Such a location would make a connection to the line via Drumcondra far easier as well as the existing connection along the Royal Canal.

Again, though, I'd point out that we have no detailed plans for any of this as yet.

As part of DART Underground it was planned to use the old station building on the Quays as an entrance to a separate underground station from this one. But as we know DART Underground is on hold.

Spencer Dock is not going to be an above ground station. It will be an underground one. Therefore that constraint doesn't matter. Here is the planned exit next the Luas as part of the original plans, I am saying the other exit should incorporate the old station building.
    LXFlyer wrote: »
    The idea from the NTA is for the current Docklands station to be moved 500m to the east and south to be adjacent to Spencer Dock LUAS stop.

It was suggested that it would extend through the archways of the bridge under Sheriff Street Upper, using the land currently used for access to the NTA coach parking facilities, and the station be on Mayor Street Upper.

It would still be an overground station. Such a location would make a connection to the line via Drumcondra far easier as well as the existing connection along the Royal Canal.

Again, though, I'd point out that we have no detailed plans for any of this as yet.

As part of DART Underground it was planned to use the old station building on the Quays as an entrance to a separate underground station from this one. But as we know DART Underground is on hold.

It would make no sense at all to build an above ground station at Spencer Dock now. It would only serve to inhibit implementation of U-DART at a later date.

Spencer Dock is not going to be an above ground station. It will be an underground one. Therefore that constraint doesn't matter. Here is the planned exit next the Luas as part of the original plans, I am saying the other exit should incorporate the old station building.

It would make no sense at all to build an above ground station at Spencer Dock now. It would only serve to inhibit implementation of U-DART at a later date.

Sorry, but I do think that you are wrong on this and conflating two different plans.

This station is as I understand it, to be overground. It is a terminal station for trains coming from the Drumcondra and from the line along the Royal Canal. Nothing more than that.

It has nothing to do with DART Underground which is completely different and would be see trains going underground as they come from the Northern Line at East Wall Junction.

Here is the original story on this plan from 2018:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irelands-newest-train-station-could-move-because-of-major-shortfall-in-passengers-36916197.html

• Advertisement

Sorry, but I do think that you are wrong on this and conflating two different plans.

This station is as I understand it, to be overground. It is a terminal station for trains coming from the Drumcondra and from the line along the Royal Canal. Nothing more than that.

It has nothing to do with DART Underground which is completely different and would be see trains going underground as they come from the Northern Line at East Wall Junction.

Here is the original story on this plan from 2018:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irelands-newest-train-station-could-move-because-of-major-shortfall-in-passengers-36916197.html

I wasn't saying you were wrong - I was saying it doesn't make sense. It will surely be used as a reason not to built Dart Underground, or Dart Undergrounds station will need to be built elsewhere, so we'll end up with two new stations in the area instead of one.

The station would obviously be below ground level, it has to be just to go under Sherrif Street. The ground level on either side of Sherrif Street is already well below the street itself so it doesn't require a huge amount of excavation. The station would likely be well below ground level but have no "ground" above it (possibly a roof), not sure if that counts as "underground". You'd have to assume that one of the considerations when determining the horizontal and vertical alignments of the station will be allowing for getting deeper to pass under the Liffey whenever we get round to DU.

I wasn't saying you were wrong - I was saying it doesn't make sense. It will surely be used as a reason not to built Dart Underground, or Dart Undergrounds station will need to be built elsewhere, so we'll end up with two new stations in the area instead of one.

I read your previous post as saying categorically that it would not be above ground. If I am misreading your reference to Spencer Dock, then apologies.

I think that to be clear, we should refer to this as a relocated Docklands Station, rather than the Spencer Dock Station proposed as part of DART Underground, as they are two separate plans.

There has been absolutely no suggestion anywhere through the media or "informed sources" that I can find that this relocated Docklands station would be underground. I have no reason to believe that it will be, as an underground station would involve spending a lot more money than what is included in this project.

And yes, you could certainly end up with an overground terminal station near any through DART Underground station.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The station would obviously be below ground level, it has to be just to go under Sherrif Street. The ground level on either side of Sherrif Street is already well below the street itself so it doesn't require a huge amount of excavation. The station would likely be well below ground level but have no "ground" above it (possibly a roof), not sure if that counts as "underground". You'd have to assume that one of the considerations when determining the horizontal and vertical alignments of the station will be allowing for getting deeper to pass under the Liffey whenever we get round to DU.

Sheriff Street is on a bridge to be fair - the ground level is that where the railways have always been.

That's the level at which I'd expect the station to be, with as you say, below the bridge, with minimal excavation works.

Remember that the railway previously was under the bridge at this location.

A DART Underground station would be significantly below this level already in a tunnel.

I read your previous post as saying categorically that it would not be above ground. If I am misreading your reference to Spencer Dock, then apologies.

I think that to be clear, we should refer to this as a relocated Docklands Station, rather than the Spencer Dock Station proposed as part of DART Underground, as they are two separate plans.

There has been absolutely no suggestion anywhere through the media or "informed sources" that I can find that this relocated Docklands station would be underground. I have no reason to believe that it will be, as an underground station would involve spending a lot more money than what is included in this project.

And yes, you could certainly end up with an overground terminal station near any through DART Underground station.

I have never personally been on about the relocated station, someone else must have brought that up. Still think it's pointless. My post below from two days ago, at the start of this extended conversation:
    As part of U-DART, the station was to be underground roughly where the Europcar Rental place is, with the historic building on the riverfront forming the station. A pedestrian bridge would then link it with GCD. The latter has now been moved to the bottom of New Wapping Street as the piling would interfere with the tunnelling project.

I have never personally been on about the relocated station, someone else must have brought that up. Still think it's pointless. My post below from two days ago, at the start of this extended conversation:

Well then you got the wrong end of the stick.

Angrylips, myself and others were discussing the relocated Docklands Station which I suspect you inadvertently didn't realise.

That is what the discussion has been about since post #6441 which was before your post.

Can we try and differentiate between the two as people will only get confused.

There are two distinct stations proposed.

Sheriff Street is on a bridge to be fair - the ground level is that where the railways have always been.

That's the level at which I'd expect the station to be, with as you say, below the bridge, with minimal excavation works.

Remember that the railway previously was under the bridge at this location.

A DART Underground station would be significantly below this level already in a tunnel.

I feel like there's a bit of a quibble over semantics here, I think in modern times with a unified operator the concept of two stations sitting beside each other for different lines is a bit far fetched, I can't see justification for it unless DU is just permanently consigned to the dustbin of ideas by CIE/TII/IE and planners.

A single station at spencer dock makes the most sense, potentially with a 'sub-ground' station to start (Under the luas tracks and access up to the quays and the Luas.), and a full underground section when DU eventually happens.

(Station box for this and ancillaries could be done as part of the initial build)

Well then you got the wrong end of the stick.

Angrylips, myself and others were discussing the relocated Docklands Station which I suspect you inadvertently didn't realise.

That is what the discussion has been about since post #6441 which was before your post.

Can we try and differentiate between the two as people will only get confused.

There are two distinct stations proposed.

That's great - from post 6435 I've been on about Spencer Dock Station. You know the one that had official plans once released.

To save confusion, let's not call a speculative station by the same name, or at least suffix it with "-proposed overland terminus".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If DU is built as planned, Bray Dart trains would go Pearse, Connolly, Maynooth.

Howth/ Malahide Dart trains will go Clontarf, Spencer Dock, SSG, Heuston, Hazlehatch.

Where would trains for Docklands come from? Why would they not go to Spencer Dock?

Of course, if DU is never to be built, then that is different.

• Advertisement

If DU is built as planned, Bray Dart trains would go Pearse, Connolly, Maynooth.

Howth/ Malahide Dart trains will go Clontarf, Spencer Dock, SSG, Heuston, Hazlehatch.

Where would trains for Docklands come from? Why would they not go to Spencer Dock?

Of course, if DU is never to be built, then that is different.

Exactly, I don't see any sense in the construction of an entirely new station 500m away from the current one if there is no plan for said station to include at least the difficult prep work for a Dart Underground station planned to be in almost exactly the same spot. The only two scenarios where that would make any kind of sense are either:
    • Dart Underground is to be scrapped as an idea altogether (Unlikely)
    • The prevailing idea for any future Dart Underground is radically different to any known plan and doesn't incorporate a station at basically the same location as the 'proposed new Docklands overground station' (Also quite unlikely)

Advertisement