Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

markodaly wrote: »
    If these 'reports' are true or not, 40% odd of workers pay no income tax anyway. I hope the opposition rebalances this! :P

That's because they don't earn enough , Leicester style exploitation alive and well in the Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yes, and in those 26 days they have reported, 27 new Covid-19 cases.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

They reported 1 case on the 14th of July and 2 cases on the 15th of July.. and so on and on....

You didnt answer the question, do you think we should close the border to NI, like NZ would have if it had a land border with another country.

Yes/No please. :)

Wrong. No community transmission. The cases you're talking about were people flying in and testing positive. Try again spinmeister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Reports coming out now that thousands of migrant workers in meat plants are not paying any tax or PRSI in Ireland but through a company in Poland instead. This also saves the meat plant owners from having to paying employers PRSI to the exchequer. What is it Fine Gael like to say- "Ireland is the best small country in the world in which to do business". It certainly fcuking is when you can have thousands of workers on Irish soil not paying a bean into our tax system and the meat plants owners dodging PRSI.

Fine Gael have been in power since 2011 so they knew well this was going on and did nothing about it They literally allowed meat plant owners to hollow out our tax base all the while Irish taxpayers were pinned to the wall with USC.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/07/30/questions-over-how-meat-factories-recruit-and-employ-foreign-workers/

You have to be ****ting me. Is there any advantage at all at all for the Irish with these companies?they pollute us,now endanger public health, have now cause three counties to lock down, are no doubt structured to ensure efficiency with respect to corporate tax and now not only that but they're not contributing to PAYE? About 10% of their products are for the Irish market. Most exported. Why is so much of our land tied up with no benefit to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

smurgen wrote: »
    You have to be ****ting me. Is there any advantage at all at all for the Irish with these companies?they pollute us,now endanger public health, have now cause three counties to lock down, are no doubt structured to ensure efficiency with respect to corporate tax and now not only that but they're not contributing to PAYE? About 10% of their products are for the Irish market. Most exported. Why is so much of our land tied up with no benefit to us?

You ask a very good question, and hard questions will need to be asked of the big meat processors on this. I hope the government is up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yurt! wrote: »
    You ask a very good question, and hard questions will need to be asked of the big meat processors on this. I hope the government is up to it.

The meat plants are a law unto themselves, maybe now the people who were criticising farmers for their price protests will realise the type of bull**** they were dealing with.
    Govt needs to take these people on and bring this outrageous industry in line.
    The Goodmans etc don't give a fcuk about anything except their bank balances, everybody below that has to suffer whatever they decide is best policy, farmers or virus victims matters nought.
    Profits mean all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yurt! wrote: »
    Why the need for the quotation marks on 'reports'? Why are you soft-peddling shocking behavior on the part of the meat plants? You'd think people across the political spectrum would abhor practices like this.

Because we have no idea of the veracity or the scale of the issue if it is an issue.
    It could be a few people being hired this way out of thousands or thousands, or it could be a much wider scale problem.

Do you instantly believe everything that is written online?
    How broke the story? OceanFM? Who the **** are they?

smurgen wrote: »
    Wrong. No community transmission. The cases you're talking about were people flying in and testing positive. Try again spinmeister.

Ah so we have a new caveat....
    It is not that NZ has had zero infections for 100 days, its that NZ have had no new cases of community transmission. A different thing. So Leo was correct in his statement.

NZ has had plenty of new cases though overall. :)

I'll say it again, do you think we should close the border to NI?
    People seem very reluctant to answer that one... I wonder why! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see the boy Stanley down in Laois Offaly has the SF solution to the ‘lockdown’

More taxpayers money for everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'll say it again, do you think we should close the border to NI?
    People seem very reluctant to answer that one... I wonder why! :)

People seem reluctant to go down a stupid rabbit hole? Colour me surprised.

You asked for a link to what Leo said, were provided with it, now are wanting folk to go down stupid pedantic rabbit hole.

Do I think the border should be closed with the North, this presumably being the same border they could not close during the troubles, and the impossibility of closing it logistically, and because it would go against the GFA were discussed again at great length during Brexit talks, but sure let's drag the conversation out yet again and flog it some more.

tumblr_nsew7iPDfr1txeruoo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The cases NZ had in the last while were people returning to NZ. So they were having quarantine for arrivals.
    They said even though they'd such low numbers they remained vigilant.

So it was put that Ireland should quarantine arrivals.
    Leo said it wouldn't be practical and then told lies about NZ to try justify his position. They didnt think they'd wiped it out and the ones they got were from arrivals. So if anything Varadkar was arguing against himself with his dishonest waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bowie wrote: »
    The cases NZ had in the last while were people returning to NZ. So they were having quarantine for arrivals.
    They said even though they'd such low numbers they remained vigilant.

Leo said it wouldn't be practical and then told lies about NZ to try justify his position. They didnt think they'd wiped it out and the ones they got were from arrivals. So if anything Varadkar was arguing against himself with his dishonest waffle.

Would you expect anything less from a man who uses (plagarises) quotes from movies and films in his speeches.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would you expect anything less from a man who uses (plagarises) quotes from movies and films in his speeches.

His style of 'debate' is reminiscent of a teenage brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And so it begins as I said it always would.

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1292791108909621249

'It's a lot worse than we thought'. Next up: 'so someone is going to have pay disproportionately more than others but remember, we are all in this together!'

Been there worn out the t-shirt.

I'm telling yis, Covid themed quango any day now. They can't help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

And so it begins as I said it always would.

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1292791108909621249

'It's a lot worse than we thought'. Next up: 'so someone is going to have pay disproportionately more than others but remember, we are all in this together!'

Been there worn out the t-shirt.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully some of our politicians can come up with something coherent instead of gibberish about "fairness" combined with hair brained proposals.

christy c wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully some of our politicians can come up with something coherent instead of gibberish about "fairness" combined with hair brained proposals.

:) It won't be 'interesting' Christy, it will be boring because you'll have seen the 'play' loads of times before.

:) It won't be 'interesting' Christy, it will be boring because you'll have seen the 'play' loads of times before.

No we won't have seen it before, this is a pandemic, totally different from anything we have seen. If this continues for a long time, people will not be able to emigrate to take the pressure off welfare. Domestic businesses will struggle big time due to further potential lock downs, lack of tourism, etc, etc. The rule book will be gone out the window, depending on how it plays out.

We can be sure it will involve some private entity or other making a fortune off the tax payer.

christy c wrote: »
    No we won't have seen it before, this is a pandemic, totally different from anything we have seen. If this continues for a long time, people will not be able to emigrate to take the pressure off welfare. Domestic businesses will struggle big time due to further potential lock downs, lack of tourism, etc, etc. The rule book will be gone out the window, depending on how it plays out.

Imagine a FG, FF government or vice versa or both not having the 'to hell or emigrate' option. :eek:

Imagine a FG, FF government or vice versa or both not having the 'to hell or emigrate' option. :eek:

Imagine it? No need to, it is a reality at the moment. It is a changed world.

• Advertisement

I'm telling yis, Covid themed quango any day now. They can't help themselves.

Any nominees??

Any nominees??

They really only deal with one chap but in the interest of fun I'll go Larry Goodman. I'd get great odds ;)

McMurphy wrote: »

Do I think the border should be closed with the North, this presumably being the same border they could not close during the troubles, and the impossibility of closing it logistically, and because it would go against the GFA were discussed again at great length during Brexit talks, but sure let's drag the conversation out yet again and flog it some more.

Correct, we cannot realistically close the border to NI, so the comparisons to NZ, which has no land border, is stupid and foolish.

So, if we cannot close the borders to NI, then can we also close the border to Britain? In reality, we cannot as anyone can come down from the North....

In other words, its rather a tad more difficult process to close our borders. I know you know that, but it won't stop you from making cheap soundbite Healy-rae arguments.

How do we quarantine people from the North?
    Leo said it wouldn't be practical

Again, how do we quarantine people from the North?

They really only deal with one chap but in the interest of fun I'll go Larry Goodman. I'd get great odds ;)

I was going to throw in Johnny English Bruton and big Angie

Yes, because the rest of the world is having a great time of it economically as well.

Listen to yourself, a self-proclaimed Irish Republican licking your lips at the thought of more economic damage and suffering so your 'team' can win some more votes. Pathetic really but not unsurprising.

Do you honestly think we would be in a different place economically if her majesty MLMD would be Taoiseach now? If you think that, then I have some PPE gear to sell you via Bitcoin.

Yes, because the rest of the world is having a great time of it economically as well.

Listen to yourself, a self-proclaimed Irish Republican licking your lips at the thought of more economic damage and suffering so your 'team' can win some more votes. Pathetic really but not unsurprising.

Do you honestly think we would be in a different place economically if her majesty MLMD would be Taoiseach now? If you think that, then I have some PPE gear to sell you via Bitcoin.

What? Licking my lips...what a leap that is.

I was responding to Leo telling us (in the first stage of how austerity is rolled out) that 'things are worse than we thought'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

SF wanted to spent an extra 25 billion a year by 2025.

They complained that the last government wasn't spending enough even thought it increased public spending by 12 billion a year.

There chance of government is gone unless they want to go in and implement the "austerity" needed for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

What? Licking my lips...what a leap that is.

I was responding to Leo telling us (in the first stage of how austerity is rolled out) that 'things are worse than we thought'.

As I told you in another thread a UI isn't economically viable now.

300 billion in debt by 2025.

Deficit of 30 billion for 2020. It will take 10 years to close it.

• Advertisement

And?

Do you think it's better then we imagine or worse or about the same?

Is there something inherently wrong with his statement that the economic figures and forecasts will be worse than originally thought?

Or because its Leo, you just want to argue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement