Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Interesting! I doubt I have been out of the big ring more than three times this year and I know I have a very low cadence. Even on fairly steep hills I stay in the big ring and prefer to grind rather than spin. It's probably a bad habit that I need to look into.

Your knees will thank you in a few years time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going by dancinpant's previous posting in this thread, s/he is fit enough anyway. possibly that's their comfort zone, but i'd go to the small ring many times on a hilly climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What's your build secman? Everyone has a natural range that they fall into so there's no right or wrong answer/figure. Jan Ullrich was a very successful cyclist with a relatively slow piston-like road cadence, generating high power with each pedal stroke.

Never heard someone being collared for having too high a cadence though, unless you're bouncing about the place and distracting the rest of the group. Are you sure there isn't a bit of peer envy going on there? "for God's sake dial it back there lad, you're making the rest of us look bad....." etc :pac:

I'm far from being aero ;). Stocky, 5ft 7 and a bit , was down to 85kg but probably a tad over now.
    Hitting 63 this month, so no spring chicken either. Being going out with some x racers lately having being encouraged by the leader of the tourers group. In fairness a lot of their comments were about how high it was and seemed positive. But last Sunday a current racer came out with us and he said to me that it was too high. Have been busy ao haven't managed to get a cadence sensor yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd pay little attention to the high cadence comment being honest. It's worked well for you so far so why change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Got a quick 20k in around Dunboyne this morning before a busy day.

Wore a helmet that I haven’t worn in about 2 months and turns out I’ve lost some weight from my face, had to tighten the chin strap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for a tough 77km yesterday, it was very warm, and I'm a sweaty creature at the best of times, but I was in puddles.
    Anyhow, managed to cramp up both legs (upper and lower) all at once, a new record for me.

Drimnagh, Tallaght, N81 to Blessington, loop of the lakes and home again.
    Glad I didn't take the right at Manor Kilbride, to return by Kilbride and Ballinascorney ~ I'd have been still there.

:https://strava.app.link/EvPtdmxGM8

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gave the usual club Saturday spin a miss partly due to the new lockdown affecting me and partly because I was at a funeral during the week where people were coming up and shaking hands & hugging us (despite us saying no :rolleyes:).
    Anyway, I went off around Kildare passing through Maynooth, Staplestown, Coill Dubh, Rathangan, Kildare, Manor Kilbride and Ardclough before returning to Leixlip.
    Managed to drink about 3 litres of water in total, given the heat.
    Popped into the cycle cafe in Ballymore Eustace. Nice spot and the owner was nice and chatty.
    I've never been in it before today but I'd recommend it!
    They charged up my phone which was good of them (Google services is draining the battery within a short time).
    118km @ 27.7 with 545m
    Absolutely knackered now though!

https://strava.app.link/5acyL41NM8

Missed the club spin this morning , just did a little coastal spin around Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge, Morriscastle etc. Rectangles and squares :) 54km avg 28.3 kph 450 meters. Cadence , just checked it about 4 ocassions approx 100ish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beautiful day for it today. swung out from coolquay up through duleek to donore, back via balrath, skryne, ratoath and hollystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

my longest run yet 113k , well tired but well happy

https://www.strava.com/activities/3882981469

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

puddles22 wrote: »
    my longest run yet 113k ...
    FFS...I opened your link expecting to see a triple marathon. Disappointed now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Almost 70k from Dublin cc out to the Guinness Lake via cruagh, featherbeds and sally gap, back via ballinastoe and enniskerry.

No looking at the watch to see speed, power,hr, timing myself on climbs or pushing a bit harder - just a day to enjoy cycling, as its rare that we get one as beautiful as today. (still got a heap of PRs as i was on roads i've not been on in years and am a bit leaner than the last time I was on them :P)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3884086325/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    Missed the club spin this morning , just did a little coastal spin around Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge, Morriscastle etc. Rectangles and squares :) 54km avg 28.3 kph 450 meters. Cadence , just checked it about 4 ocassions approx 100ish
    Don't get overfocussed on cadence. For a while I tried to adjust my cycling to fit in with what others told me I was doing wrong - cadence way too low, change gear according to HR, not drinking enough blah, blah. blah.

It totally fcuked up my cycling so I got rid of the monitors and stopped listening to the 'experts' and went back to what worked for me - i.e. low cadence, minimal hydration, listen to my body, not a monitor etc.

I've noticed that ex-runners in my club tend to have a much higher cadence than average - I don't know how they enjoy a cycle spinning so much but each to their own - like driving a car on a motorway in 3rd gear! Thankfully, to date, I've never had any knee trouble. (I realise of course that you are much faster than me so that may explain the difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Interesting! I doubt I have been out of the big ring more than three times this year and I know I have a very low cadence. Even on fairly steep hills I stay in the big ring and prefer to grind rather than spin. It's probably a bad habit that I need to look into.

Hello cycling twin! Some of us just get into the grinding habit I think. It is what it is.

Today I headed out and made my way up Balinascorney, left at stone cross and on up. Down past Kilbride shooting range, and on straight. Then down over the liffey, and up around the arse end of Sorrell hill for a grand view of the lakes,and flying down to Lacken, Left there and round the eastern lakeshore, then left and up over the Wicklow Gap. From there down to Laragh, then up past Glenmacnass, sallygap, lough Bray, and back along the military road. Right up into Glencullen, final left a JFs for the last little climb before descending back down to the suburbs.

Distance : no idea
    Climb : no idea
    food: none
    liquids : none
    time : 5 hours

Big ring all the way. Nuts, but sure why not. fabulous day when the sun was out.

Wishbone, I'm very much a current runner, but the opposite of your runner mates.

Headed into Gorey for club spin, Carnew, Tinahealy, Aughrim, woodenbridge,Arklow and back to Gorey. 91 km avg 30.5kph 741 meters
    Cool down spin home 15km avg 26.5 kph 91 meters.
    Fit for a Cocoa and a nap now:)
    But herself needs her garden centre fix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

Got a free pass for the day yesterday so headed off for a long spin.
    Decided a few weeks ago I'm not going racing this year but set another few goals, one of which was to do a 200km spin (something I never did before).

The stats;
    214.7km, 1578m, 27.4km/hr, 91 avg cadence
    4L water
    6 nutri grain chocolate bakes
    1 panini with a coffee
    1 snickers

Moving time was 7hrs 50 minutes but stopped twice. Once for water top up (10 minutes) and again for lunch (40 minutes). So all in all was gone for 8hrs 40mins.

A bit of talk here lately re cadence. My 91 average means I'd have turned the cranks over 40,000 times 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Got a new saddle on the bike yesterday during a bike refit as I’ve never ever gotten comfortable during the time I’ve been cycling (over 7 years now on 3 different saddles). So off I went this morning with the new saddle from Clane-Kill-straffan-Maynooth-Mullagh-Summerhill-Kilcock and home. 73kms in 2hrs 30mins.

It was pure fecking agony😱. I started to feel the new saddle hurting after just 5kms. No matter how I shifted position it was uncomfortable. I persisted but at the 40km mark I had to stop (And I never stop on spins) as my ass was on fire with pain. Instant relief once off the bike. A few minutes walking got rid of the pain and so I got back on the bike but within a few kms it was as bad as ever. Tried cycling standing up but once seated again, oh sweet Jesus, the pain. The saddle I took off yesterday used to make me feel numb and uncomfortable but this new one is awful. I know it’s new, it may need breaking in and I had a sit bone test and fit yesterday with it. The read out says I’m putting less pressure on my sit bones with this one over my previous saddle but I beg to flipping differ!!! It wasn’t just the sit bones but the man bits too felt a lot of pressure which my last saddle didn’t affect. Good job I don’t want any more kids!!! I’ll give it a few more spins over shorter distances this week but I think it’ll be coming off. It’s bloody annoying that I just can’t get comfortable on the bike, as in I have never ever been pain free despite bike fits. I can maintain 33kph+ without even breathing hard but I can’t enjoy the cycle as my concentration is all on the saddle and how it’s torturing me (and I am not exaggerating!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

D13exile wrote: »
    Got a new saddle on the bike yesterday during a bike refit as I’ve never ever gotten comfortable during the time I’ve been cycling (over 7 years now on 3 different saddles). So off I went this morning with the new saddle from Clane-Kill-straffan-Maynooth-Mullagh-Summerhill-Kilcock and home. 73kms in 2hrs 30mins.

It was pure fecking agony😱. I started to feel the new saddle hurting after just 5kms. No matter how I shifted position it was uncomfortable. I persisted but at the 40km mark I had to stop (And I never stop on spins) as my ass was on fire with pain. Instant relief once off the bike. A few minutes walking got rid of the pain and so I got back on the bike but within a few kms it was as bad as ever. Tried cycling standing up but once seated again, oh sweet Jesus, the pain. The saddle I took off yesterday used to make me feel numb and uncomfortable but this new one is awful. I know it’s new, it may need breaking in and I had a sit bone test and fit yesterday with it. The read out says I’m putting less pressure on my sit bones with this one over my previous saddle but I beg to flipping differ!!! It wasn’t just the sit bones but the man bits too felt a lot of pressure which my last saddle didn’t affect. Good job I don’t want any more kids!!! I’ll give it a few more spins over shorter distances this week but I think it’ll be coming off. It’s bloody annoying that I just can’t get comfortable on the bike, as in I have never ever been pain free despite bike fits. I can maintain 33kph+ without even breathing hard but I can’t enjoy the cycle as my concentration is all on the saddle and how it’s torturing me (and I am not exaggerating!!!)

What are the saddles you have tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

What are the saddles you have tried?

The original Bontrager that came with my Trek, a Brooks leather one and a Selle Italia. The bike fitter put a Gebiomized on it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The original Bontrager that came with my Trek, a Brooks leather one and a Selle Italia. The bike fitter put a Gebiomized on it yesterday.

When i got my bike fit done he recommended a Selle SMP one for me. Took his own one of his bike and stuck it on mine to show me. Wasn't trying to upsell in the shop connected as they didn't stick them. It's like sitting in an armchair for me. So comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

Is the saddle position set too high? I know you said you've had bike fit done but no more than anything else there are good bike fitters and bad
    If the saddle is too high you'll put huge pressure on the sit bones. Drop 5mm and see how you get on. Drop again after if you need to. Mark your current position in case dropping the saddle doesn't work for you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Did my first 100k cycle today. Up and down the coast from Baldoyle to Malahide to Dun Laoghaire and back with 2 loops of Howth thrown in as well.

Shattered after it, but delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

6r56pL0h.jpg

Took this up over the Sally Gap today. 7 speed, 42x21 climbing gear, decided to take it the easy ascent up Glenmacnass! A different pace of cycling compared to constantly bating around on the race bike. All was going well until classic motoring symptom struck and the NDS crank fell off about 7km from the Gap!

And the ride, by the numbers

91km 56m
    1011m 3316ft
    28.2kph 17.5mph

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Tis a great feeling once you get the first one hundred done alright , well done
    deconduo wrote: »
    Did my first 100k cycle today. Up and down the coast from Baldoyle to Malahide to Dun Laoghaire and back with 2 loops of Howth thrown in as well.

Shattered after it, but delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Plastik wrote: »
    6r56pL0h.jpg

Took this up over the Sally Gap today. 7 speed, 42x21 climbing gear

A thing of beauty. Bar tape is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

No weekend spin with the cycling club as I'm a Mexican now and can't cross the border into edenderry. Went with the cousin instead. Great spin

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KR4C0hrXO8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

No weekend spin with the cycling club as I'm a Mexican now and can't cross the border into edenderry. Went with the cousin instead. Great spin

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KR4C0hrXO8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

On holidays in Dunmore East. 40km cycle to Waterford, Tramore and back to Dunmore East along the coast.
    Always cycled in my own, this time with brother in law;makes an obvious difference with someone-keeps pace up, someone to chat to etc.
    Did 50km reverse loop (&bit more yesterday), legs need a rest tomorrow
    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Fp1wa4MEQ8

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Lovely conditions for a cycle today, maybe a little warm, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    60km at 24kph with 674m climbing.
    Drimnagh up to Tallaght, N81 to Blessington took first bridge over the lake, manor kilbride, Over Kippure, Ballinascorney, Tallaght, and back home again.

https://strava.app.link/5bBGWhlHT8

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Lovely conditions for a cycle today, maybe a little warm, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    that was the sweatiest cycle i've had in a looong time.
    plus, i ran out of fuel about 20km before the end.
    and i mashed my shin into my pedal.
    great to be out though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement