Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, the estimate (and it's a rough estimate strava produces) will also depend on the length of your cycle, i.e. how quickly you can empty the tank; if you went out for a half hour blast, you'd expect to be able to put out a higher wattage for that spin, than if you go out for three or four hours, and have to cycle more conservatively to maintain your fatigue levels.
    that's why the 1 hour test is the most common middle ground.

but as said, don't worry about your watts, i barely pay heed to it; it's a rough estimate but your average speed is more precise and easy to understand, if you want to track your fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I have a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus and I was wondering if anyone might know to use this as bike computer and if I need to buy any additional parts to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The strava watts are only really indicative if you're on the flat or going uphill,, the zeroes when going downhill add into the average and bring it down. Watts is useful for shorter segments to see what you can actually output over shorter periods of time. For general fitness, keep track of your avg speed, allowing for lights, stops etc.

Was dying all day after beers last night, went out for a quick up and down to the viewpoint via cruagh. Should really have done it in the morning instead and the day may not have been a writeoff. Was weirdly quiet, nobody up there at that time of the day, only passed 2 other cyclists past scholarstown road. Weather wasn't too bad, managed to avoid the worst of the rain, and hangover finally cured.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3680078196/

Forgot to switch from run to walk when I was out with the dog the other day and it told me I averaged 80w and burned 400 cal in 6 km with 70m elevation gain ..... the dog is 12 and is not long after acl surgery :pac:

Omega28 wrote: »
    85km today and my Watts are improving

Can anyone explain the whole Watts and FTP to me in layman's terms?

Is 129 Watts decent? Does it show anything about my fitness?

I think you said you're very new to cycling so I wouldn't worry about either now to be honest. I'd say just get out and enjoy your bike for now, but be careful of getting carried away and doing too much too soon or you'll end up burnt out or worse again, injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

new2tri19 wrote: »
    .. Watts are meaningless without rider weight as heavier rides can push higher watts....
    Presumably they are also meaningless in an headwind or tailwind as the device can't take wind into account?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How Strava Calculates Power
    Can't say that I've paid much notice to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Presumably they are also meaningless in an headwind or tailwind as the device can't take wind into account?

No i assume if I ride 200watts into a headwind its the same effort as 200w with a tailwind even though average speed will be vastly different. Average speed is meaningless.

Watts are meaningless in comparison to other riders , asking is 120 watts good will be totally different if your 50kg or 100kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i use Strava and the elemnt bolt to track my ride. for the same ride i will always have differing average speeds, with strava being consistently slower. The root cause for the different average speed for the same ride is the auto pause function.

The bolt's auto pause function is flawless while Strava is pretty poor, i often see the clock still running on the strava app even though i'm stopped and sometimes not even physically on the bike.

so i prefer the avg speed from the bolt which is accurate but the strava is always a slower avg speed because it doesn't account for being paused as good as the bolt (giving me a considerably longer moving time). If i'm stopped at a red light for 1min, the bolt will pause but strava won't. and yes the auto pause function is on in strava (i went premium this year but won't next year i think).

No i assume if I ride 200watts into a headwind its the same effort as 200w with a tailwind ....
    Doh! Of course it is.

I feel stupid now! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fair question though, as strava (certainly until recently, they only recently started adding weather data by default) didn't know if you were doing 50km/h on a flat because you were hauling ass, or whether it was due to a stiff tailwind).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km in a howling gale and torrential rain, still better than the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

This is a great thread.

Is it possible to set up a Board.ie Cycling Club on Strava where we can all share cycling routes, posts, and compete against each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday: a handy spin from the house to Kilmuckridge, Blackwater, Curracloe out to main road 27 km 1hr: 07 min, back main road Castlebridge, Ballyedmund and home 27km 53 min.

Today: headed to Gorey to meet up with touring group, Hollyfort, Carnew, Bunclody, towards Enniscorthy turning for Ferns and to Gorey. 90km avg 30.9 kph.
    15km home as a cool down spin avg 27kph
    Lovely weekend cycling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

2 hours at 3.5watts per kilo and absolutely dead . Trying to gauge what I can hold for a half Ironman power wise.
    Ftp is 4w/kilo
    I've done 1 hour rides holding 4
    2 hour ride today was first try and managed 3.5
    Is there any way to guesstimate w/kg you can hold for a 3 hour ride based off FTP?
    I've never ridden 3 hours TT and I don't fancy it .
    I'm guessing around 3w/kilo for 3 hours based off 1 to 2 hour drop off . Anyone any experience of that ? Thanks

https://www.xertonline.com/calculator

onlineweb wrote: »
    This is a great thread.

Is it possible to set up a Board.ie Cycling Club on Strava where we can all share cycling routes, posts, and compete against each other?
    There is one.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/boards-ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

1200m on Zwift today. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Over 4hrs done with a mate today in a howling westerly wind that became troublesome in spots up high. It probably wasn't the best day to head off climbing but with a 200km plus spin planned on two weeks it was needed.

125km @ 28.4avg and 1700m of elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Upping the distance and effort is the plan 😆 need to get up in time to follow it through.

38km up Croghan mountain with 800m of climbing. Really windy and it looked like Dublin was getting a right downpour.

IMG-20200628-122057376-HDR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Question for you experienced riders out there

How long did it take you to see improvements in your riding?

Also, if you could rewind the clock, is there you would tell yourself?

• Advertisement

go one gear easier. spin to win, then build up strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

FTP is the max watts you can push for an hour. Watts are power your pushing through the pedals. Watts are meaningless without rider weight as heavier rides can push higher watts.
    Watts per kilo are more relevant , divide your watts by your wright in kilo's.

129 watts , some people will be happy with that some not so , its only relevant to yourself. Just try improve against your previous best. Everyones opinion on whether its decent will vary. There are scales somewhere which show how you compare to pro riders and recreational riders based on watts per kilo.

Was feeling happy with 140 until I read the calc above. Watt per kg is 1.48. Need to do more work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Time on the bike plus elements of structure equals improivements.

Also leave your ego behind on club spins, it isn't nice to spend hours in the red nor nice to do that to someone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you don't have a power meter the numbers are a very rough indication at best. As with wind, I'm showing consistently 20w-25w lower on gravel for instance. Same for the calorie count.

Enjoy riding your bike is the most important thing. Everything else comes second to me. Fitness and exorcise is a happy consequence of cycling to me :D

EDIT: I should actually put in some advice that helped me in general and that was exorcise off the bike, I'm not one for the gym, hate them but I took to yoga with my partner when she was pregnant and that helped in terms of my over all flexibility and and strength (the spiritual stuff i didn't buy into) after that I did pilates classes which I found helped immensely in my over all fitness and comfort on the bike. These days I do that twice a week along to a youtube video while trying to avoid the kids trying to sit on my for extra resistance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

grouchyman wrote: »
    Was feeling happy with 140 until I read the calc above. Watt per kg is 1.48. Need to do more work

Well it depends on how hard you were cycling , If i'm cycling to work or something and ignoring power my reading could be 140 also because I probably spend half the time freewheeling down the hills or in and around traffic. So again its kinda meaningless.

If I go out and do a 1 or 2 hour TT I try pick a route that will have very few stops and I aim to pedal 100% of the time or as close to as possible , when I'm going down a hill I am aiming to hit a number when instinct used to be to freewheel every so often.

I have average lap power and 3 and 10's power on bike computer in front of me and I know even if I have to stop at lights i'll lose 2-3 watts of average power caused by the delay in the headunit pausing .

I'm not sure if your even using a power meter but yeah there is loads of variables that 140 average doesn't tell you the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

2/3 months or a summer it took me to get from if you like civilian level of fitness to a reasonably competitive level of fitness, I usally ride short but intensive hill reps.

Granted you rest properly you should be improving week on week.

The biggest fitness mistake I made was at the start of lockdown to run at least 8k every day, without rest, and eventually 3 and half weeks in my legs gave in and I couldn't run for most of april and may luckily I could cycle but dont make the mistake of over doing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't stay in just because the weather is crap, cycling in the worst of weather can be great craic once you're dressed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

smacl wrote: »
    Don't stay in just because the weather is crap, cycling in the worst of weather can be great craic once you're dressed for it.

As long as some clown doesn't use the inclement weather as an excuse for "not seeing you".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

onlineweb wrote: »
    This is a great thread.

Theres already a Boards cycling club - Want to join my Strava cycling club? https://www.strava.com/clubs/boards-ie?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement