Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Green list is farce, you could book a holiday to a green country today and it be off the list before you got to fly out. Its a complete joke.

whats there to rethink? I was speaking in general not personally, in time more and more will think like me.

Pretty lame. You posted that anyone travelling for non-essential reasons is a cunt. As someone travelling for non-essential reasons I can only take that one way - personally.

And you can't have your cake and eat it. You seem to want people to abide by the rules but only those rules that you agree with.

If Italy is still on the green list when my holidays come around I will be travelling and I won't feel guilty in slightest. And I think you'll find that the longer this goes on the less people will think like you.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    OMG will ya stop, go for your hols, thanks for letting us know. By now we all know you are going!!!

And thank you for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ger Roe wrote: »
    But she might have it too.... if you were a close contact, you isolate yourself -- that's what happens. What's your alternative solution?

Pay the mortgage and cause an outbreak.
    Seems to be an alternative but not a good one.

We are not going to have a good winter / Christmas.
    We are not in a strong position.
    The recently published European Respiratory Society White Book provides data on respiratory health and disease in Europe and allows us to compare prevalence and manpower in Ireland with our European neighbours. The White Book indicates the following data for lung disease in Ireland

1. The mortality rate for respiratory disease in Ireland is 113.6 / 100,000 – EU 28 average is 85.2.
    2. Hospital admission rates in Ireland are high at 928 per 100,000 (EU 28 average is 965)
    3. Asthma prevalence in adults between 18 and 44 years of age is 9.41% (Top ten in Europe)
    4. Mortality rate for COPD – 27.87 / 100,000 (only Hungary and Denmark are higher) Hospital admission rates for COPD are 264 /100,000 – European average is 200. Ireland has the highest cystic fibrosis mortality rate at 26/100,000 (next Belgium at 11)
    5. Incidence of lung cancer is 46 per 100,000
    6. Ireland has the highest hospital admission rate for acute lower respiratory infections at 227/ 100,000, after Malta at 140 per 100,000 and the UK at 108 per 100,000
    https://twitter.com/ZeroCOVIDIsland/status/1292410630050320384?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

polesheep wrote: »
    Pretty lame. You posted that anyone travelling for non-essential reasons is a cunt. As someone travelling for non-essential reasons I can only take that one way - personally.

And you can't have your cake and eat it. You seem to want people to abide by the rules but only those rules that you agree with.

If Italy is still on the green list when my holidays come around I will be travelling and I won't feel guilty in slightest. And I think you'll find that the longer this goes on the less people will think like you.

all right I have changed it, Im sorry you got all upset.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    all right I have changed it, Im sorry you got all upset.

Thank you, I appreciate that. It's a word I take great offence to being called. I was worried for while that we might have to face off against each other with a fish in our hands.:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

polesheep wrote: »
    And thank you for nothing.

No problem. Hope you boarding on the plane as we speak. Don't forget to switch off your phone. Act like an adult in Italy, put the mask on wash your hands etc. You know the drill by know. And don't come back with some unwanted freebies. Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Given the fact that we’ve had such an unworkable mess as a policy for the borders, and the U.K. has been the same, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

We are letting high risk people through without testing or proper quarantine while we are cutting ourselves off from low risk EU neighbours with a somewhat ludicrous set of policies without coordination with the rest of the EU.

One size fits all policy on travel makes no sense given the huge variance in risk level in different countries.

If we end up getting this wrong we’ll end up on the high risk list ourselves!

We are the only country in the world that has a border but it must absolutely not be referred to as a border nor look like one unless we have to do something we don't agree with, at which point it becomes an insurmountable Iron clad citadel.

For political reasons it's a twighlight zone. The only logical way to deal with it is to pretend for a second there is no border between Ireland and UK (pssst there isn't)

That's why we are not in Schengen area.
    That's why we have common travel area,
    That's why we have the good Friday agreement,

If we try to do anything different to the UK it falls down like a house of cards.

So let's get on with. You know you are in serious trouble Arlene and Michele who haven't spoken to each other for 4 years
    are telling MM that there needs to be and Irish British agreement on zerocovid.These rolling lockdowns are going to get very tiresome and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

US2 wrote: »
    Cousin of mine got a phone call Thursday evening that she was a close contact of someone who tested positive in a&e in UHL. Still hasn't been tested, told not to leave the house for 2 weeks.

I know they're busy with LOK but that's unacceptable having someone with kids and a mortgage out of work for 2 weeks and she mightn't even have it ?

I thought our testing had improved and was quicker, seems to be gone backwards now, disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    maybe we re using our phones more?
    Happened to me. Woke up and the phone was off - charged it up yesterday.
    Coudln't believe the battery was totally drained.
    Regardless though if we have to charge our phones more it's a small price to
    pay.
    If enough download and use it it will be hugely beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Seems the HSE is as incompetent as ever. How can someone in a situation like that not be tested within 24h of that phone call? They’re not THAT busy with tests at the moment.

At most they should by targeting being able to give someone an answer on that within maximum 3 days of call. Test, process and result and they should be offered immediate financial and practical support for those days they’re isolated and also any employer who pressures someone to breech that should be facing a €50,000 fine.

If she tests negative and all is fine, she should be able to get back to normal within a few days without any significant disruption.

I think it would depend on dates involved. I presume she attended for an appointment at the hospital or maybe she was a visitor to the hospital and I presume she had the app and she was contacted from the use of the app. How long ago was she in the hospital? She might be in some sort of an incubation period for the virus and that can be up to 14 days. Then it's also possible she didn't contract the virus either. There's no point in testing her just yet really depending on dates involved.

Either way she was identified as a close contact and the authorities would like to take her out of circulation so that community transmissions is reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ger Roe wrote: »
    But she might have it too.... if you were a close contact, you isolate yourself -- that's what happens. What's your alternative solution?

Alternative solution is to test her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought our testing had improved and was quicker, seems to be gone backwards now, disgraceful

It became quicker because very few were having to be tested but the numbers will go up now and the pressure will be on.

We didn't improve anything, lockdown just gave us breathing space and a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

branie2 wrote: »
    Will it go up again today?

Likely.

Pay the mortgage and cause an outbreak.
    Seems to be an alternative but not a good one.

We are not going to have a good winter / Christmas.
    We are not in a strong position.

https://twitter.com/ZeroCOVIDIsland/status/1292410630050320384?s=20

That's some jump! The complaint is she is isolating, she should be tested ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Alternative solution is to test her ?

She still needs to isolate for 14 days, do you not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are they testing close contacts of close contacts or telling them to isolate as well...

Myramar wrote: »
    pay.

There's a fix on the android forum, this isn't an issue with the app supposedly, it's Google's play services.

Easy enough to fix, no need to suffer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Myramar wrote: »
    pay.

Its an issue emerging in the last 24hrs after a Google services update. Not the apps fault, expected to be resolved today.

To be fair if you've to charge a phone every 4 or 5 hours then nobody would use the app. Its no good if your phone is drained.

Hopefully it'll be resolved today.

In the meantime on the phone in our house that had the issue, uninstalled the app, cleared Google services cache, restarted phone and installed the app again. No issues so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

I've tried a few things on one of the phones in our house soon see if it works.

My own phone is a Samsung s10 plus and I'm not having any issues

I have an A10. No problems for about 3 weeks but yesterday it just sucked up battery. There was also an OS update went through yesterday so that might have had something to do with it as well.

Are they testing close contacts of close contacts or telling them to isolate as well...

Or the close contacts of the close contact's close contacts..

This is why I find the "it's only a cluster" talk hilarious.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think it would depend on dates involved. I presume she attended for an appointment at the hospital or maybe she was a visitor to the hospital and I presume she had the app and she was contacted from the use of the app. How long ago was she in the hospital? She might be in some sort of an incubation period for the virus and that can be up to 14 days. Then it's also possible she didn't contract the virus either. There's no point in testing her just yet really depending on dates involved.

Either way she was identified as a close contact and the authorities would like to take her out of circulation so that community transmissions is reduced.

She was a close contact in A&E. She went in with a concussed child and some other idiot with covid was in a&e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only cluster talk probably needs to stop now. Their growing every week/day and currently a lockdown in place because of them. Dublin will probably have one of some sort within the next few weeks. I don't know how Schools are going to be able to function. Clusters are bound to happen in schools . They seem unavoidable with large numbers congregated in indoor settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Other countries making masks mandatory outdoors, we're yet to make them mandatory in all indoor settings. Such a joke.

MASKS indoors should have been compulsory mandatory since March, so many mixed messages given out about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

She was a close contact in A&E. She went in with a concussed child and some other idiot with covid was in a&e.

Ah, she has good Covid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xUjw2BCYE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

US2 wrote:
    All patients should have been wearing or provided with a mask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    MASKS indoors should have been compulsory mandatory since March, so many mixed messages given out about them

They should have but the issue back in Feb/Mar was that there was a worry there would be a shortage of them for healthcare workers if there was a huge surge of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Can I just suggest to Android uses - keep checking the Play Store for updates. Aspects of Android are updated through the Play Store, not just as part of major system updates and the issue appears to be an underlying one with a recent Google update which they are saying is being fixed as a matter of urgency. So just ensure you’ve automatic updates on or check regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Do you have to check into the app every day? Do you have to give the go ahead for the contact tracing every day.

I don't check in every day. The contact tracing circle has a little red thing and when I press it, it turns green. Do I have to press that every day?

Would I still get notifications if I was close contact just by having the app on the phone. I usually leave my data connection on all the time and I leave Bluetooth on all the time too.

Screenshot provided.
    Please note my battery is dying but that's because I didn't charge my phone

Onesea wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid?fbclid=IwAR0me5eLLROE_A08GLZs19_LiupmrMZnc4iTKScMN8jnUJpZpwwwv-C0bfQ

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the UK."

UK government.
    Aparentpy there is no pandemic, go check out what government websites are stating.

Better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, then open it and remove all doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,681 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Staff and parents await test results after two cases of Covid-19 in creche
    However due to a 'floating' staff member between two units, decisive action by the management closed a second room containing seven children aged between two and three years old.

That member tested negative but her co-worker in the pod unfortunately was also confirmed with having the virus.

Neither of the two staff who tested positive were in contact with each other either inside or outside of work

The chances of 2 staff members bringing it into the creche at roughly the same time would be pretty slim, unless there is a swirl of community transmission in Meath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement