Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

US2 wrote: »
    She was a close contact in A&E. She went in with a concussed child and some other idiot with covid was in a&e.

Well without other details, I wouldn't call them idiot. People can be asymptomatic. If he was symptomatic, then they certainly are an idiot.

Anyway, as a close contact, she has to isolate for 14 days regardless. Ideally she should have gotten a day zero test and if that was negative, she would still have to self isolate and get retested in day 7.
    The day zero test is more about identifying who infected who. As he was a confirmed case on Thursday it's obvious he wasn't infected by anyone in A&E that day. The focus on testing in that case would be his close contacts from days before he presented in A&E and that's where the zero day testing is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The previous 48 hrs positive tests - 222
    Confirmed cases the last 48hrs - 272

Are those extra 50 cases back log ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Boggles wrote: »
    Staff and parents await test results after two cases of Covid-19 in creche

The chances of 2 staff members bringing it into the creche at roughly the same time would be pretty slim, unless there is a swirl of community transmission in Meath.

God, that's awful.

I know a lot of people likes to believe that children can't transmit this virus to adults but is that a definite known? Would it possible it was a scenario like that instead of a swirl of community transmissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

owlbethere wrote: »
    Do you have to check into the app every day? Do you have to give the go ahead for the contact tracing every day.

I don't check in every day. The contact tracing circle has a little red thing and when I press it, it turns green. Do I have to press that every day?

Would I still get notifications if I was close contact just by having the app on the phone. I usually leave my data connection on all the time and I leave Bluetooth on all the time too.

Screenshot provided.
    Please note my battery is dying but that's because I didn't charge my phone
    Ive just set the app up on a spare phone with Android 7.1 and when I launch the app this red circle thing appears and if you tap it it say exposure notication must be turned on. However if you do'nt tap it it turns green after a second or two.
    Happens every time I lauch the app. I really thought this app ran in the background.
    My other phone is Android 10 and this does not happen. May have something to do with your android version.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do you have to check into the app every day? Do you have to give the go ahead for the contact tracing every day.

I don't check in every day. The contact tracing circle has a little red thing and when I press it, it turns green. Do I have to press that every day?

Would I still get notifications if I was close contact just by having the app on the phone. I usually leave my data connection on all the time and I leave Bluetooth on all the time too.

Screenshot provided.

Nope you don't have to go into it each day.

Once you install it and go through the permissions bit at the start its working after that.

You could never go into it again and it'll work so long as your Bluetooth is on. Turn off the Bluetooth and you'll get a notification basically telling you to turn it back on for the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Myramar wrote: »
    Ive just set the app up on a spare phone with Android 7.1 and when I launch the app this red circle thing appears and if you tap it it say exposure notication must be turned on. However if you do'nt tap it it turns green after a second or two.
    Happens every time I lauch the app. I really thought this app ran in the background.
    My other phone is Android 10 and this does not happen. May have something to do with your android version.

My app says “contact tracing not enabled” and I haven’t the foggiest why or what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

God, that's awful.

I know a lot of people likes to believe that children can't transmit this virus to adults but is that a definite known? Would it possible it was a scenario like that instead of a swirl of community transmissions?

Its been proven that they transmit the virus as effectively as any age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

branie2 wrote: »
    Will it go up again today?
    Dr Glynn.

"Quite likely we will have significant numbers in the next few days"

"Restrictions won't have impact on figures for a week to 10 days"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

God, that's awful.

from what i've been reading children can spread it just as much as adults.

The chances of 2 staff members bringing it into the creche at roughly the same time would be pretty slim, unless there is a swirl of community transmission in Meath.

Something else to add as well:
    One staff member had a sore throat
    The other had a runny nose and aches and pains

Did they still continue to go to work?

It really needs to be hammered home about the importance of not going to work and school and crèche etc with colds.

I know many people are hanging onto the idea of thsi virus being mild and asymptomatic for a lot of people but we don't know that fully. We don't know how many are pre symptomatic. Also I watching a YouTube video a few months from a English man in wuhan who contracted the virus. He came down with cold symptoms. His cold cleared up and he felt well. A day or two later, it came back and it hit him hard.

It's so important to hammer out the message of isolating with cold symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Screenshot provided.

Checking in is entirely optional.

The contact tracking works by the phone gathering other phones’ randomised beacon codes transmitted on Bluetooth. If your data is off, it still gathers those.

When your data is on or you’re on WiFi, the phone downloads a hotlist of random codes associated with people who’ve been tested positive and who’ve chosen to uploads their keys to the system. If your phone finds a match, it alerts you. The marching happens on your phone, not in a central database.

That’s all it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I noticed that too. As far as I know there wasn’t a lot of extra positive tests during the week, unless they’re holding back positive tests and just reporting the cases.

It appears so.
    From my calculations, since 11th July there has been 1040 positive tests and 1033 new cases (so a difference of 7, which could be people tested twice, or still 7 to be announced)
    We won't get updated testing figures today, it will be updated on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dr Glynn.

"Quite likely we will have significant numbers in the next few days"

"Restrictions won't have impact on figures for a week to 10 days"

I'd say high figures as the results from the workers and their close contacts come in over the next few days and then I'm hoping a significant drop. Then there's a wait and see if there's a substantial increase in cases in the community.
    One would expect GPs in the area would have seen an increase in people reporting symptoms already if there was rampant community spread in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

Sibling children in different pods perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

smurfjed wrote: »

Good to hear alright, just waiting for the he's a quack comments now.

froog wrote: »
    from what i've been reading children can spread it just as much as adults.

Thanks for this. Why was there stuff in the news about children not being able to transmit it. People latched onto this aspect big time that children don't transmit it.

That's not going to go down too well for the school year ahead.

Thanks for the replies for the app stuff by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭1641

An interesting read regarding the differences between Flu and Covid as regards contagion, and also "superspreaders" and superspreading events. It ties in pretty well with meat factory outbreaks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/health/coronavirus-superspreading-contagion.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I noticed that too. As far as I know there wasn’t a lot of extra positive tests during the week, unless they’re holding back positive tests and just reporting the cases.

The meat factories were doing private testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Looking at the daily graphs, and am wondering if Sweden may be approaching herd immunity?

522558.jpg

522559.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This is an interesting read...
    It's not "interesting", it's the view of one doctor who has views which are substantially different to the vast majority of other doctors and virus experts.

To be honest, I'm getting very annoyed by Swedish experts in general lecturing the rest of the world about how mild Covid is, considering the disgraceful way they allowed Covid burn through their vulnerable populations. They appear to have no sense of shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Something else to add as well:
    One staff member had a sore throat
    The other had a runny nose and aches and pains

Did they still continue to go to work?

It really needs to be hammered home about the importance of not going to work and school and crèche etc with colds.

I know many people are hanging onto the idea of thsi virus being mild and asymptomatic for a lot of people but we don't know that fully. We don't know how many are pre symptomatic. Also I watching a YouTube video a few months from a English man in wuhan who contracted the virus. He came down with cold symptoms. His cold cleared up and he felt well. A day or two later, it came back and it hit him hard.

It's so important to hammer out the message of isolating with cold symptoms.

True but i can tell you now that if every child and teacher isolates this coming Autumn and winter because of sniffles and sore throats etc.. the schools will be ghost towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

They are using private testers to help out in the meat plants, not going through normal reporting channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Looking at the daily graphs, and am wondering if Sweden may be approaching herd immunity?
    Sweden, no different to everywhere else, has implemented restrictions which will slow the virus and reduce the reproduction rate. What is particularly interesting about Sweden, and it has been reproduced in parts of the US, is that it is the population themselves which have decided to self-restrict in the face of incompetent political leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

hmmm wrote: »
    Sweden, no different to everywhere else, has implemented restrictions which will slow the virus and reduce the reproduction rate. What is particularly interesting about Sweden, and it has been reproduced in parts of the US, is that it is the population themselves which have decided to self-restrict in the face of incompetent political leadership.

I know they were generally responsible, but they didn't shut down anything much and didn't all start wearing masks and kept their schools open the entire time (and I don't think parents were boycotting them). We were "better behaved" during lock down than they were, it will be interesting to see if their numbers continue and if they do it kind of has to be herd immunity (I know thats a big "if")?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Longing

hmmm wrote: »

I can confirm I have family in Sweden. Local authority's had restrictions in place much the same has here except for the lockdown we had earlier. Social distancing, mask's covering no admittance to old people homes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

seanb85 wrote: »
    They are using private testers to help out in the meat plants, not going through normal reporting channels.

What're the details of the "private testers"?

We'd been told a 15,000 tests per day capacity had been accomplished a good while ago now, and they're doing c.4500 tests a day the past day or two. Did they not have any provisions in place to quickly re-allocate resources to specific locations in the event of outbreaks like this, so now they're paying for private industry to run the tests even though we supposedly have 10,000 tests a day capacity spare above current testing levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

yes very interesting about the t-cells and how the antibody tests may not be catching people who have had it.

still, this guy will look extremely foolish if sweden gets a spike again. very premature of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement