Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

EDit wrote: »
    Please provide a peer reviewed study showing that an “ass’s roar”* is more than 2 metres.

*TBH, I always thought it was an arse’s roar

But you'd be wrong. And if your arse roars like an ass I'd be worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,912 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nowhere to be seen on front page of website.

Well that's not what you said.

Lead story at the minute.

Meat plants hit by outbreaks should not open tomorrow - Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

polesheep wrote: »
    I'm off on holiday soon to a green list country and I object in the strongest terms to being called a cunt by you or anyone else. An easy thing to call someone on the Internet, I doubt you'd say it to anyone's face.

Will you be going into quarantine for 14 days when you get back? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Google did a Play Services update if components of Android and appear to have caused this. The exposure logging system is built into android as an API and framework. The Irish app just uses those services. It looks like google screwed up.
    Yup Google issue
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-tracker-app-hse-working-google-amid-reports-battery-issues-1058201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Nowhere to be seen on front page of website.

The pinned headline and main story on RTE.ie is : https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0809/1158126-covid-19-meat-plants-not-re-open/

The rest of the front page updates as new stories are posted. As more information emerges and more stories post on the topic the front page reflects that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

RTE with a big article on a Danish meat factory with 142 cases. Not a single article on any of ours.....

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0808/1158099-covid-world-update/

This is a worthy read:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plant-clusters-may-be-down-to-softly-softly-approach-1.4324924?mode=amp

Finally some good journalism which actually questions and criticises. There has been too much lapping things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    unfortunately mortality will probably always occur in relation to motorised propelled vehicles, its far more complex than just policing

Yet fatalities per km are about a tenth of what they were and Ireland has a respectable position internationally. This is because if many things but mostly people behaving responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If we were deferential, we would be accepting the ridged class system and you’d be bowing to the Earl of Leinster or whoever.

We were selectively deferential to the church but in almost every other area, not at all. The psychology behind that is also complex, but in general in Ireland if you want to get the population to do something, you need to explain why it’s worth doing, get everyone on board and have it become worthwhile.

If you impose arbitrary rules and penalties, you’ll just get a lot of people’s backs up.

Ireland is no different to any other population. People make their own decisions in absence of leadership and they are often not good decisions.
    Gov's credibility is seriously waning.
    Why are LOC locked down?
    Why are people allow to freely come in and out of county when there is clearly a global pandemic.
    Masks are dangerous, now they are mandatory.
    Travel is bad unless you are foreign.
    EU trying to get last yo-yos out of tourism before the harshest winter in multiple generations.
    People aren't stupid.
    Throw into the mix the long term health of your child?
    Water charges was a good example of pushing bulls!t to the extreme.
    Standing in the pissings of rain waiting for a bus and there was an advert on it saying water isn't free.......I know we are gullible but there are limits.

522535.jpg

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1291777787016093696?s=20

There is definitely some issue specific to meat plants though. There are similar outbreaks in Germany, Denmark, the U.K. and the USA had absolutely massive problems.

I’m wondering if it’s just down to the fact that they’re big recirculating cold rooms. So you’ve a sense of fresh air because it’s very cold, but the whole place is probably full of nicely chilled virus particles being recirculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You don't need to restrict movements from green countries...yet

• Advertisement

Ireland is no different to any other population. People make their own decisions in absence of leadership and they are often not good decisions.
    Gov's credibility is seriously waning.
    Why are LOC locked down?
    Why are people allow to freely come in and out of county when there is clearly a global pandemic.
    Masks are dangerous, now they are mandatory.
    Travel is bad unless you are foreign.
    EU trying to get last yo-yos out of tourism before the harshest winter in multiple generations.
    People aren't stupid.
    Throw into the mix the long term health of your child?
    Water charges was a good example of pushing bulls!t to the extreme.
    Standing in the pissings of rain waiting for a bus and there was an advert on it saying water isn't free.......I know we are gullible but there are limits.]

Actually most of the psychological and sociological studies would say otherwise. Ireland, Australia and NZ all rate as very different when it comes to defence to power.

You need to lead, something that Jacinda Arden has done with huge success in NZ. There’s a huge risk here that lecturing school principal type approaches from Micheál Martin will backfire very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I have done a few times and they did nothing about about it... funny that.

One day you'll say it to the wrong person, I hope that's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I'm going to lie in a bath of sanitiser for two weeks just to be sure;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Boggles wrote: »

Wasn't there something about staff taking paracetamol to get past temperature checks. If that was the case, were they really asymptomatic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Other countries making masks mandatory outdoors, we're yet to make them mandatory in all indoor settings. Such a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Listening to Paul Reid on Newstalk now. I suspect he can’t say too much but he’s not ruling out all of these affected factories opening tomorrow. It’s very disheartening for those of us in lockdown to see the apparent soft touch with the meat factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The irony of saying to someone that it's easy to say something to someone over the internet but doing the exact same thing with a thinly veiled threat.

So the population of Ireland has increase by 57000 in a week due to repatriations?

We won't have enough space for all of the citizens coming back.

The fact is even if it were 57000 Irish citizens returning from red zone countries,

as an Irish adult, do you honestly believe the all observed quarantine?

I know two people who didn't. Economically they are losing if they don't go. They are losing 2 weeks pay if they do observe it. How many families live month to month here. Sh!tloads.

Think we need to get real and realise the cake and eat it / whack a LOK approach isn't going to cut it.

There are a significant number of Irish taking holidays in Spain, Portugal and France at the moment and for the last number of weeks. Arrivals also include people returning from these holidays

Spot the difference in deference.
    There are other more important factors at play here
    which we don't do great in but other countries do.
    Long term thinking is not a strong point.

https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country-comparison/germany,ireland/

522537.png

UNCERTAINTY AVOIDANCE

The dimension Uncertainty Avoidance has to do with the way that a society deals with the fact that the future can never be known: should we try to control the future or just let it happen? This ambiguity brings with it anxiety and different cultures have learnt to deal with this anxiety in different ways. The extent to which the members of a culture feel threatened by ambiguous or unknown situations and have created beliefs and institutions that try to avoid these is reflected in the score on Uncertainty Avoidance.

At 35 Ireland has a low score on Uncertainty Avoidance. Ideas are important, being imaginative is appreciated. Irish businesses embrace creativity and are always looking for new ways to approach problems. Making a point with practical facts is more appreciated than the use of too much technical language.

LONG TERM ORIENTATION

This dimension describes how every society has to maintain some links with its own past while dealing with the challenges of the present and future, and societies prioritise these two existential goals differently. Normative societies. which score low on this dimension, for example, prefer to maintain time-honoured traditions and norms while viewing societal change with suspicion. Those with a culture which scores high, on the other hand, take a more pragmatic approach: they encourage thrift and efforts in modern education as a way to prepare for the future.

With a low score of 24, Ireland has a culture classified as normative. People in such societies have a strong concern with establishing the absolute Truth; they are normative in their thinking. They exhibit great respect for traditions, a relatively small propensity to save for the future, and a focus on achieving quick results.

INDULGENCE

One challenge that confronts humanity, now and in the past, is the degree to which small children are socialized. Without socialization we do not become “human”. This dimension is defined as the extent to which people try to control their desires and impulses, based on the way they were raised. Relatively weak control is called “Indulgence” and relatively strong control is called “Restraint”. Cultures can, therefore, be described as Indulgent or Restrained.

With a high score of 65, it is clear that Irish culture is one of Indulgence. People in societies classified by a high score in Indulgence generally exhibit a willingness to realise their impulses and desires with regard to enjoying life and having fun. They possess a positive attitude and have a tendency towards optimism. In addition, they place a higher degree of importance on leisure time, act as they please and spend money as they wish.

There are a significant number of Irish taking holidays in Spain, Portugal and France at the moment and for the last number of weeks. Arrivals also include people returning from these holidays

and statistically speaking what is the probability of ......
    someone not quarantining and being infected........

Quick answer, not zero.

• Advertisement

and statistically speaking what is the probability of ......
    someone not quarantining and being infected........

Quick answer, not zero.

Agreed, all should be quarantining and those taking trips are very ill advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Biggest load of bollox ever in this country.

And that's saying something,

I'm sure all of those carrels shops did a roaring trade in fridge magnets.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1291775955510280192?s=20

Ban travelling and managed isolation and quarantine. Now here we are. Need to start again and get it right

Why don't we have managed quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Increase in Dublin cases won't play out well.

I wonder if our March-May surge will be seen as the baby bump when we look back at all of this.

People are LAX and complacent this time around, we could be in for a kick up the hole.

You say that on the internet, I pick and choose my battles and I assume in the same circumstances you do the same.

Anyway I was speaking in general, you seem to have taken it personally. Travelers in time will be treated like pariahs once enough human and economic damage is done and the greater society realises that unessential travel wasnt the best idea.

Its going happen, society just need to learn the lesson.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Ban travelling and managed isolation and quarantine. Now here we are. Need to start again and get it right

Why don't we have managed quarantine?

It will happen in time, once there's enough damage done.

In March everyone was crying for the lockdown ASAP and the that's what happened and it flattened the curve ...eventually.

No wants to lock the entire population up, that's silly you just lock up the carriers.

Spot the difference in deference.
    There are other more important factors at play here
    which we don't do great in but other countries do.
    Long term thinking is not a strong point.

https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country-comparison/germany,ireland/

522537.png

Germany also has a much, much older age profile than Ireland and a longer time in relative prosperity as well as the experience of rebuilding after WWII.

Chalk and cheese in terms of many attitudinal issues.

You’ll also find the anglophone countries, particularly the 4 smaller ones : Canada, Australia, NZ and Ireland have a whole load of similarities on some of those scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's an utter farce that these factories are allowed to remain open while the rest of the 3 counties are put back into lockdown and other businesses need to close. We've known for months these places were a risk for spread of the virus yet nothing was done about it.

They're not essential. We're not going to starve if a few meat factories need to close for a while so they can sort themselves out.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It will happen in time, once there's enough damage done.

In March everyone was crying for the lockdown ASAP and the that's what happened and it flattened the curve ...eventually.

No wants to lock the entire population up, that's silly you just lock up the carriers.

To be honest, I don’t see that happening in Ireland. It’s a practical issue and travel is pretty much essential to what it is to be Irish. We travel a hell of a lot and it’s not really something we see as some kind of luxury indulgence. It’s a fact of life in a small, interconnected, very wet island.

Ultimately we need to find a technical solution to this ASAP or we are looking at major socioeconomic problems in a couple of years time.

I mean if you look at how essential travel is in terms of even just money flowing around Europe, or the USA from industrial / services focused regions to regions that life off that same money in terms of providing tourism services it’s huge.

Ireland, relatively speaking, has a fairly modest tourism sector compared to say Spain, France, Italy, Florida, Hawaii, even California.

Iceland and NZ for example are hugely dependent on tourism, so in both those cases they can’t go on indefinitely sealed off.

Without a solution to the virus itself, other than lockdowns, which aren’t a solution at all they’re just a way to preventing damage by limiting contacts, I think we are in for one hell of a global depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's an utter farce that these factories are allowed to remain open while the rest of the 3 counties are put back into lockdown and other businesses need to close. We've known for months these places were a risk for spread of the virus yet nothing was done about it.

They're not essential. We're not going to starve if a few meat factories need to close for a while so they can sort themselves out.

The Government/NPHET are happy that they can say they're doing something. Even though they're not doing anything to directly address the problem in meat factories, they can at least say they're doing something. Like with the nursing homes, nobody wants to take any responsibility.

There's a cluster in a meat factory in Kildare? Well, we'll make it a criminal offence for someone in Donegal to pop into their local corner shop to buy a bottle of milk if they don't wear a mask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement